PDA

View Full Version : What should MLS do to improve league play in CCL?

Flashman
09-19-2008, 12:10 PM
There has been much discussion today on what MLS needs to do to improve the play in the league, in particular making us more competitive in CCL (and against USL competition).

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/09/poll-what-would-help-mls-clubs-most-in.html

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/09/usl-makes-stron.html

What do you think needs to change in the MLS salaray structure?

I believe we need to raise the Dev roster minimum to $30k, Sr Dev minimum to $40k, and Sr roster minimum to $60k. We also need to increase the senior roster size to 25 players, plus 10 Dev. players.

I ran some models using these parameters (as well as increasing players in the lower half of the senior roster proportionately, assuming an average of $90k for 6 more Sr roster players, plus 1 at $400k DP).

The expanded roster works out to about $4.2 million, so maybe they could increase the salary cap to double the 2008 cap of $2,375,916 to approximately $4.75M.

Would this salary cap work for the league as a whole? What about the teams losing money currently? Would the league bring in the revenues to subsidize the teams that are still struggling?

Things that could be done to mitigate the expanded cap. With a 25 man senior roster is a 10 man development roster really necessary? What about Jr Dev roster slots for young players that could be boarded with team officials?

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Increase roster, increase minimum salary and cap, fix schedule to follow or at least attempt to consider and work around FIFA dates
That simple.
Even if they do these piece by piece, slowly but surely we would have a greater impact. Not necessarily immediately, but the impact would happen.

Billy the kid
09-19-2008, 12:15 PM
There's been talk of the MLS blocking teams from buying USL players. It seems to me that this is how better leagues differentiate themselves from lower tier leagues. European teams buy our better players, we should be able to purchase better players from USL.

LucaGol
09-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Begin the process of the de-retardification of the inane constraints in MLS.

Once that's done ... we'll see where we stand.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 12:16 PM
I dont doubt for a moment that the recent results havent gone unnoticed by Garber and Co. They want our league to look professional but then we get put out by a) USL teams and b) have amateur shit like the chivas game at home happen here. Professional leagues do not have shit like that happen. Like i said, i dont think itll all happen at once, as much as we awnat it to but if they have any sense what so ever, they realize that these changes have to be made.

Billy the kid
09-19-2008, 12:22 PM
It's not surprising that USL teams beat MLS teams since we've seen MLS teams beat Mexican teams (like in this year's SuperLiga), but the frequency with which they win is a little disheartening.

TFCREDNWHITE
09-19-2008, 02:23 PM
The expanded roster works out to about $4.2 million, so maybe they could increase the salary cap to double the 2008 cap of $2,375,916 to approximately $4.75M.

Would this salary cap work for the league as a whole?

I would definitely agree with that figure!! I think it is right on point where we need to be. The thing is, i don't know if they can provide such a big jump safely...thats why i was proposing a Salary cap of 3.5 - 3.75 million a year for the upcoming year...

werewolf
09-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Considering the salary cap of the new Women's league that is going to begin next year might have a salary cap of $2.5 Mil. I certainly think the MLS could do well with boosting theres above that...

OneLoveOneEric
09-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Does anyone think it's a perception issue among the players?
Do players view these as "extra games" and not really give it what they put in to a league game? If this is the case, then some sort of marketing strategy has to go in to the solution.

Nazzer
09-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Begin the process of the de-retardification of the inane constraints in MLS.

Once that's done ... we'll see where we stand.

This would help a lot. Also, teams need to be able to spend as much as they want (within a much higher cap) as they want, this will in effect reward the better teams with a greater ability to sign the players they want so they will have a better 11 and more depth and be able to compete in the CCL better.

As was stated earlier, the minimum salary needs to be raised to at least 30,000 fir every player, this way potential bench players will sign for MLS teams rather than starting in the USL, and then the depth of MLS teams will go up again.

If the MLS is going to continue with the 'developmental' distinction then they need to raise the number of players on the senior roster from 18 to at least 24.

Does anyone think it's a perception issue among the players?
Do players view these as "extra games" and not really give it what they put in to a league game? If this is the case, then some sort of marketing strategy has to go in to the solution.

I read somewhere that MLS is restricting the amount of money that the players will receive from a tournament such that it willbe less than the MLS cup no matter what

rocker
09-19-2008, 09:11 PM
anyone know what USL players are paid generally?
are USL players avoiding MLS for higher USL wages (as starters?).
or do they stay down because it's a better opportunity?

james
09-19-2008, 10:25 PM
it has been been said in the news paper that MLS is going to work something out for next years schedule so that it wont interfear with the International games like it has this year.

MLS also most deffinitly needs to raise the salary cap if they have any plans of being serious contenders in the Champions League.

Yohan
09-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Biggest thing has to be roster increase. Not being able to field competitive teams even with reserve players is just silly.

I'm not sure if raising salary cap to around 4mil is something MLS is willing to commit too. Don't know exactly what the profit margin is for the league as whole (but then, you'd think all the Beckham jerseys would cover the salary cap for the entire bloody league. lol) and I'd think a raise to 3 mil mark is more reasonable and still field a decent team.

Another thing that really annoys me is retarded trasfer rule, esp. MLS blocking teams from paying transfer fees. Put it against the salary cap for the team if you must, but at least allow teams to pay for players they feel will be quality for their team.

jloome
09-20-2008, 01:04 AM
There has been much discussion today on what MLS needs to do to improve the play in the league, in particular making us more competitive in CCL (and against USL competition).

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/09/poll-what-would-help-mls-clubs-most-in.html

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/09/usl-makes-stron.html

What do you think needs to change in the MLS salaray structure?

I believe we need to raise the Dev roster minimum to $30k, Sr Dev minimum to $40k, and Sr roster minimum to $60k. We also need to increase the senior roster size to 25 players, plus 10 Dev. players.

I ran some models using these parameters (as well as increasing players in the lower half of the senior roster proportionately, assuming an average of $90k for 6 more Sr roster players, plus 1 at $400k DP).

Would this salary cap work for the league as a whole? What about the teams losing money currently? Would the league bring in the revenues to subsidize the teams that are still struggling?

Things that could be done to mitigate the expanded cap. With a 25 man senior roster is a 10 man development roster really necessary? What about Jr Dev roster slots for young players that could be boarded with team officials?

Yeah, this is close to identical to the model I proposed about a month ago, although I think I had it at $4 million flat; the only other difference was the instead of specifying wage mins. for the various roster slots, I thought allowing a separate million dollar salary cap for players 23 and under, a dev, salary cap, as it were, would promote signing youth players to significant enough contracts to make MLS appear a good option, and allow for youth players strong enough to contribute immediately to the first team.

An additional DP slot wouldn't hurt, either, although on a purely balance sheet basis coudl lead to losses (which are fictitious; these clubs base their economics on the write-down necessities of their parent firms.)

A couple of people in that thread also went a step furhter and suggested that, for the marginal difference involved, we could get rid of the ,atching allocation dollars system and just add a million to the salary cap, making it $5 million flat.