09-19-2008, 11:10 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/09/19/rohan-ricketts-torontofc.html

TorontoBlades
09-19-2008, 11:24 AM
thanks John...

I just wanted to be "that guy" once :)

andyc
09-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Did anyone else read the end of the article as a good bye?

Big Bruva say it ain't so....

Big Bruva
09-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Hmmmm interesting.

I have not spoken to Ro but i have had 2 pretty strong connections tell me that N.Y want him along with a team in England but i know Ro would rather stay in Toronto. He gets on very well with the team and loves Carver, i hope they offer him a new longer contract.

I think he will still be here next season but he still has to discuss his contract etc i think.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Hmmmm interesting.

I have not spoken to Ro but i have had 2 pretty strong connections tell me that N.Y want him along with a team in England but i know Ro would rather stay in Toronto. He gets on very well with the team and loves Carver, i hope they offer him a new longer contract.

I think he will still be here next season but he still has to discuss his contract etc i think.

who knows....if he can start start hitting the net...in these last 7games....

anything is possible

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Fuck that, Theyd better offer him a reasonable contract.
Ill be livid if he gets signed else where.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Fuck that, Theyd better offer him a reasonable contract.
Ill be livid if he gets signed else where.

dont get me wrong i love RR.......one week he is out of this world....the next week...he's andy welsh in disguise...Some days he looks lost out on that pitch..

Carver has all the confidence in the guy...its time RR..steps up...and preforms to his capibilities...the honeymoon is over! The excuses of fitness he talked about early on are over.....

I know this guy has so much to offer....! C'mon SON!

WE need him more then ever...Hope he gets it done in KC!

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 01:10 PM
One would assume that by MoJos recent comments about bringing in players that can stick around for years he would be offered an extended contract.
Fingers crossed.

Roogsy
09-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Why would it be a good-bye? He simply doesn't know if he will be here next year and that is something we all knew.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 01:13 PM
dont get me wrong i love RR.......one week he is out of this world....the next week...he's andy welsh in disguise...Some days he looks lost out on that pitch..

Cant say i agree with you there, Welsh always looked terrible. he had speed but couldnt cross for his life, got knocked off the ball and couldnt shoot.

Somedays Ricketts is quieter than others but hes never terrible and always gives it his all. Even his terrible isnt that bad considering what we've had previously. Hes also got alot of room to grow, yes hes what, 24? 25? still room for growth tho and dude loves it here.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Why would it be a good-bye? He simply doesn't know if he will be here next year and that is something we all knew.

my sentiments exactly.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 01:18 PM
The fact that NJRB are showing interest should prove some of his worth, Osorio has had some great picks/additions to the team in the second half of the season...

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Cant say i agree with you there, Welsh always looked terrible. he had speed but couldnt cross for his life, got knocked off the ball and couldnt shoot.

Somedays Ricketts is quieter than others but hes never terrible and always gives it his all. Even his terrible isnt that bad considering what we've had previously. Hes also got alot of room to grow, yes hes what, 24? 25? still room for growth tho and dude loves it here.

bad example..on welshy...Im just baffeld..that this kid has so much tallent....and should be eating defenders in this league up.....you cant rgue that his consistency has never been there all season...I hope he can get it together...iam a fan of his

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Meh, he does a good job but sometimes when youve got 2 or 3 guys on you it can be a bit trickier. Dont forget for the first 4-5 or so games he was not matchfit.
I do think that the offseason will be immense for him (and the team and its ever changing roster) as they will start to learn each others nuances etc. Thats if hes still around. He'd better be still around.

Damien
09-19-2008, 01:34 PM
JoSmith is a faster yet less developed Ricketts... though i'd still love to see Ricketts stay on... he's one of very few bright spots on the team.

Big Bruva
09-19-2008, 03:45 PM
who knows....if he can start start hitting the net...in these last 7games....

anything is possible

Nah it would have nothing to do with that coz that is not what he was brought here for.

Big Bruva
09-19-2008, 03:47 PM

Carver has all the confidence in the guy...its time RR..steps up...and preforms to his capibilities...the honeymoon is over! The excuses of fitness he talked about early on are over.....

I know this guy has so much to offer....! C'mon SON!

WE need him more then ever...Hope he gets it done in KC!

Dunno what ya watching mate

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 03:48 PM
yep, his record shows he was never suited to be a goalscorer, he has created opportunities and i would argue, create even more with a proper set of strikers...

gmacpheetfc
09-19-2008, 03:51 PM
aye aye

Big Bruva
09-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Meh, he does a good job but sometimes when youve got 2 or 3 guys on you it can be a bit trickier. Dont forget for the first 4-5 or so games he was not matchfit.
I do think that the offseason will be immense for him (and the team and its ever changing roster) as they will start to learn each others nuances etc. Thats if hes still around. He'd better be still around.

Glad you noticed mate and Carver notices too.

A lot times he has more than one man on him and still creates something, i think he got double teamed for the goal he set up for Chad in the New England match.

I think when TFC get more and more dangerous players other team won't really be able to double team etc as much. A bit like this season for the Raptors when Bosh and a healthy O'Niel are on the court the same time lol

Big Bruva
09-19-2008, 03:55 PM
JoSmith is a faster yet less developed Ricketts... though i'd still love to see Ricketts stay on... he's one of very few bright spots on the team.

Agree and disagree.

Johann still has a lot to learn and needs to learn how and when to use his speed, once he does he is gonna be real dangerous.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Glad you noticed mate and Carver notices too.

A lot times he has more than one man on him and still creates something, i think he got double teamed for the goal he set up for Chad in the New England match.

yep totally, thats something im very excited for, and something i expect to see in the off season (ie, another signing on the wing, provided RR stays, godwilling). QUality wing work always does wonders and fucks with the defense. Once the pressure is off him, i dont doubt we will see more from him.

I do have high hopes for JoSmith, dude is young and rough with his skills but should be dangerous once hes broken in. Itd be dope to see those two cats up and down the wing.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 04:02 PM
I think one of the best examples of what happens when Ricketts is undermarked was the Colorado game (when he scored his brace), just one man and dude was dancing around him. Teams took note.

kaos197O
09-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Meh, he does a good job but sometimes when youve got 2 or 3 guys on you it can be a bit trickier.

This is one of the reasons Carver likes him so much! He draws a big crowd. Now if only the boys left unmarked during this time could provide decent support and create some space for themselves we'd be in business. Ricketts is not the problem and I believe he is doing exactly what he was brought here to do. It's probably why Carver sings his praises more than anyone on this team!

That being said.....I did see Brennan create that space and make great runs throughout the Columbus game but RR seemed to not see him like 5 times. Not sure what was going on there but......JB was in the clear on a couple of them. Perhaps he's too used to having no support when in those situations. Anyhow.....HEADS UP ROHAN......JIMMY'S ON YOUR LEFT! :canada:

andyc
09-19-2008, 10:06 PM
I think that he's been one of our (or probably the) most consistent creative player this season. He seems to give his all even if things aren't working for him...

At his age and with his talent I hope that he's one of the players we build around.

Big Bruva
09-20-2008, 12:39 PM
yep totally, thats something im very excited for, and something i expect to see in the off season (ie, another signing on the wing, provided RR stays, godwilling). QUality wing work always does wonders and fucks with the defense. Once the pressure is off him, i dont doubt we will see more from him.

I do have high hopes for JoSmith, dude is young and rough with his skills but should be dangerous once hes broken in. Itd be dope to see those two cats up and down the wing.

I agree mate, i think Johann is gonna tear this league up once he figures his game out more and hopefully he is doing it at TFC.

Gotta see if he signs another contract or the option is taken etc

Ossington Mental Youth
09-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Fingers crossed

jloome
09-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Given that Carver's last remark about Ricketts is that we could use about 11 of him, I don't think they want him to go. BB, do you now understand why I suggested he shouldn't be concentrating on scoring goals? It's got bugger all to do with your cousin, and everything to do with the unreasonably raised expectations both the teams and the fans might get that he's a scorer. He's certainly skilled enough to be one. But he's a winger and does it very well. The sensible mid point is that he obviously has enough of an eye for goal to score more than four on a season, maybe even six or eight, as I think his admission in Molinaro's story indicates. But I reckon if you took all the crosses that Ricketts and, for the first half of the season, Robert pumped into the box to either the perfect front- or back-post lane and actually put forwards in the right positions to be on the end of them, this would be a very different season. Service from the wings has not been our problem, period.

Big Bruva
09-23-2008, 02:22 PM
lol was it you that originally said that he should not be thinking about scoring goals and a responded?

jloome i agree with what you wrote 100% but Ro knows what he is in the team to do and he is supposed to get crosses in, try and create etc he knows that scoring goals is not his main focus trust me but as a winger if he sets himself a target of 10 goals for example i think that is good.

There is no doubt that with 2 good strikers and enough time the wingers and the strikers will gain chemistry which will result in all of them knowing eachothers game which will result in more goals but that has not happened as much as we would like.

Against some team you might not want to constantly cross the ball (if they have 3-4 tall defenders) as a winger you might feel that the best way to get around them is on the ground instead of in the air but its down to management and the common sense of a player to know that.

Given that Carver's last remark about Ricketts is that we could use about 11 of him, I don't think they want him to go. BB, do you now understand why I suggested he shouldn't be concentrating on scoring goals? It's got bugger all to do with your cousin, and everything to do with the unreasonably raised expectations both the teams and the fans might get that he's a scorer. He's certainly skilled enough to be one. But he's a winger and does it very well. The sensible mid point is that he obviously has enough of an eye for goal to score more than four on a season, maybe even six or eight, as I think his admission in Molinaro's story indicates. But I reckon if you took all the crosses that Ricketts and, for the first half of the season, Robert pumped into the box to either the perfect front- or back-post lane and actually put forwards in the right positions to be on the end of them, this would be a very different season. Service from the wings has not been our problem, period.

jloome
09-23-2008, 03:03 PM
lol was it you that originally said that he should not be thinking about scoring goals and a responded?

jloome i agree with what you wrote 100% but Ro knows what he is in the team to do and he is supposed to get crosses in, try and create etc he knows that scoring goals is not his main focus trust me but as a winger if he sets himself a target of 10 goals for example i think that is good.

There is no doubt that with 2 good strikers and enough time the wingers and the strikers will gain chemistry which will result in all of them knowing eachothers game which will result in more goals but that has not happened as much as we would like.

Against some team you might not want to constantly cross the ball (if they have 3-4 tall defenders) as a winger you might feel that the best way to get around them is on the ground instead of in the air but its down to management and the common sense of a player to know that.

It's a little more disconcerting than that, though, BB, because most of the balls they put in WERE to the usual spots, the places you'd expect your teammates to wind up when the ball arrives. Even a non-professional striker knows to go to the posts or the spot. But often they seem too far behind the play, or not even looking for a channel to be fed the ball if the winger DOES cut inside.

I dont' understand how guys with the speed and foot skills of Barrett, Cunningham and Ruiz couldn't get on the same page with so many good balls. When I was a kid playing, I'd have dreamed of getting service like that.

Big Bruva
09-23-2008, 03:15 PM
I hear what your saying mate.

I do expect Ruiz to read the balls that are played through from the likes of Ro and especially Amado but that has not happened yet even though he has only played a few games.

It's a little more disconcerting than that, though, BB, because most of the balls they put in WERE to the usual spots, the places you'd expect your teammates to wind up when the ball arrives. Even a non-professional striker knows to go to the posts or the spot. But often they seem too far behind the play, or not even looking for a channel to be fed the ball if the winger DOES cut inside.

I dont' understand how guys with the speed and foot skills of Barrett, Cunningham and Ruiz couldn't get on the same page with so many good balls. When I was a kid playing, I'd have dreamed of getting service like that.

trane
09-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Rohan is the best signing the club has had this year. We need to keep him long term. Sure it would be nice if he could score 5 to 10 a year, but what I realy want from him is creating opportunities, assissits and to attack the box and defend on the wing. He can be a great mid in this league. My only fear that a Championship/lower EPL team (or any other similar level European team) will pick him up.

Keyman
09-23-2008, 03:39 PM
For what it's worth, I was told that Rohan was on a two year contract. That's what he told me in an the interview, and allowed me to post.

Here:

“Yeah, it’s a two-year deal,” said Ricketts, a right-sided midfielder who most recently played for Barnsley in the Coca-Cola Championship. Other terms were not released. This is Ricketts’ first move out of England, where he has spent his entire life. He will join a desperate Toronto squad that was most recently torn apart in the American capital; it’s a game that the club and its fans would soon like to forget. Ricketts, who has been capped for England’s U21’s, has been with six teams in his short career. However, this does not reflect his obvious quality as a player. He was once one of the more highly-touted young players in England, with Sven Goran Eriksson singling him out as one to watch.

jloome
09-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Seems most of the two years deals in this league are one year plus an option, so this is likely going to be both sides deciding whether to exercise the option. I don't see this one falling apart, somehow, unless Mo has a braincramp or Ricketts asks for substantially more.

Big Bruva
09-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Yeah from what i undestand Ro is on a 2 year deal but it seems its basically 1 year with an option so yeah this next season will have to be discussed between both parties.

Seems most of the two years deals in this league are one year plus an option, so this is likely going to be both sides deciding whether to exercise the option. I don't see this one falling apart, somehow, unless Mo has a braincramp or Ricketts asks for substantially more.

Maple Leaf Red
09-24-2008, 10:03 AM
If Ricketts leaves I'll probably cry :'(

Big Bruva
09-24-2008, 10:05 AM
You and me both mate lol

If Ricketts leaves I'll probably cry :'(

Marco2K
09-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Well i would like him to stay but if the red bulls want him they can have him.

We can not keep Ricketts at 300 000.

Lets face it. He is not good enough to be playing in most leagues in EUROPE, or else he would be there.

Like I have said before. He is funny. He loves toronto.

but he lacks alot of skill.

His crosses are not very good. every so often he makes a good cross.

as many have stated his corners are terrible.

If ricketts is a KEY part to this team, we wont be a winning team for a while.

Let me ask you guys this.

RICKETTS OR R OBRIEN????

Roogsy
09-24-2008, 07:01 PM
We don't have that choice...are you the type that pines for a girlfriend that dumps you?

Marco2K
09-24-2008, 07:04 PM
We dont have a choice? sure we do.

We should not sign him for 300 000 a year in this league. for that much money u have to perform EVERY NIGHT.

Big Bruva i am sure even Ricketts himself will tell you have has not been playing well.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-24-2008, 07:05 PM
you should prob consider reading the first page of this thread.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Nah it would have nothing to do with that coz that is not what he was brought here for.
Well, tell him that at least we want him to stay...

And while we're on the subject of RR, is that or is that not a f*cken top class finish?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Exe6btEjWU

Roogsy
09-24-2008, 08:17 PM

We should not sign him for 300 000 a year in this league. for that much money u have to perform EVERY NIGHT.

Big Bruva i am sure even Ricketts himself will tell you have has not been playing well.

Your post says Ricketts or O'brien.

Ricketts wants to be here.

O'brien asked to leave.

Those are the facts. Hence my question is valid.

And for the record, despite the fact that I loved Ronnie O, I would prefer to have a player here who wants to be here and gives his all. That's Ricketts. And there plenty other players on the pitch that aren't pulling their weight...Ricketts is not first on my list to ship out of town.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Posts like the one quoted are the reason I tend to avoid opinion threads on this board.

Big Bruva
09-25-2008, 03:19 PM
I just gotta laugh mate lol

rocker
09-25-2008, 04:40 PM
my dad and I were discussing TFC last night. i brought up Ricketts... he said Ricketts is probably the most consistent player on the team, particularly in terms of effort.
of all the guys on this team, he said, Ricketts would be one of the last you'd think of getting rid off. If we had more guys like Ricketts, we'd be better. The thing is to find more players of his level or better, rather than getting rid of him or letting him leave.

boomcha
09-25-2008, 07:26 PM
You can see the love for TO in Ricketts, he plays well and hopefully no one else snatches him from us. I agree sometimes his corners are not perfect but no one is either, we need more of him around.

Brooker
09-25-2008, 09:45 PM
his corners are sometimes horrible... but the shit he does when he's dancing on the wing more than make up for it.

do not let this mans shoes go... err the guy that wears them.

Shakes McQueen
09-25-2008, 11:28 PM
If any one player (besides Dichio) on this club deserves to have his own banner unfurled at every match, it's Rohan Ricketts.

I agree with Carver's assessment of RR - if we could have 11 Rohan Ricketts out on the pitch, we would be a much better team.

I pray he decides to stay with the club. I think he will, unless we decline to resign him for some crazy reason. He wasn't brought in to be a goal scorer - he was brought in to do what he always does on the wing. So to rue him for missing some goal opportunities, is overly harsh.

- Scott

jloome
09-26-2008, 05:44 PM
I've always thought the only thing wrong with Rohan Ricketts is that he thinks too much and doesn't trust his skill. It's not his fucking boots, it's him. In the end of the movie, Jimmy Grimble figures that out.

I'd love to see him run at players the way Huckerby does next year. He's at least as good with the ball at his feet, as Hucks has been using the same shoulder fake and fast cut (kind of the soccer equivalent of a crossover dribble) for his entire career. He fakes one way, waits for the defender's waist to shift a little,, then boom, he's gone by him. I'ts been working all through the second season, and if you remember the ease with which RR threw off those two defenders in the two-goal game, he's obviously just as able.

So it's a self-confidence or humility thing. He's gotta believe, and when he does, he'll leave a lot of guys in this league wondering where he was.