PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Friday , Sept.19

denime
09-19-2008, 06:06 AM
TFC not giving up on playoff dreams
Reds face difficult, but not impossible, path to postseason

TORONTO -- With just six games left in the season, every one of the 14 teams in Major League Soccer still has a chance to make the playoffs. Toronto FC has a difficult hill to climb playing in the competitive Eastern Conference, but the team is showing no signs of giving up. "We're chasing this bit of a shining light we've got of getting to the playoffs," said forward Danny Dichio. "While that's still alive we've all got to pull together and aim for that main thing that we want."

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080918&content_id=189066&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Toronto FC eyeing Canadian DP

Johnston won't tip hand, but designated player could be Julian de Guzman
By DEAN MCNULTY (dean.mcnulty@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA

It's beginning to look like Toronto FC's long-promised designated player might come wrapped in a big red maple leaf.
TFC director of soccer Mo Johnston made the strongest statement yet on the subject when ask if he had been looking at a DP on his recent trip to Brazil.
"Right now we are looking at a Canadian," he said.
But the market for a high-profile Canadian currently playing in the top levels of soccer are pretty slim.
It would be much easier to mark who would not be available.
A player such as Manchester United's Owen Hargreaves would be all but impossible, let alone prohibitively expensive, to pry away from the English Premier League.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/09/19/6810081-sun.html)

Johnston scouts Brazilian talent
Reds Director of Soccer returns from trip

Toronto FC Director of Soccer Mo Johnston has returned from his scouting trip to Brazil. Johnston was looking at potential signings for 2009. "I met with four or five different companies and watched two games. There is a lot of good young talent down there and I'm going to go back down in November or December," said Johnston. Johnston watched Botafogo take on Internacional and Nautico against Vasco De Gama during his time in Brazil.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080918&content_id=189007&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Toronto FC eyeing South American talent
By John F. Molinaro

Mo Johnston wants to add some South American flair to Toronto FC.
Recently back from a scouting trip to Rio de Janeiro, the Toronto general manager is keen to sign some young Brazilian prospects for the start of the 2009 Major League Soccer season.
"I'm going to go back down there in November and December. I don't think you can take one trip and find someone who's going to fit into the team and play well here in MLS. You need to take your time," Johnston told reporters Thursday.

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/09/18/toronto-fc-south-america.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

CenturySam
09-19-2008, 06:38 AM
DEE ROW 2 T.O.

i think that sunshine girl had a little too much sunshine :)

Tintin
09-19-2008, 06:40 AM
I dont buy de De Guzman rumor. He is in his prime with a good Spanish Club. It would be great but I can't see it at all. The only canadians i could see are Stalteri who is not in Toteham plans anymore and Radzinski who plys in the second division in Belgium due to family matters (his wife is in Belgium and she is sick or something like that). Those 2 would be great for TFC but are they DPs?

rocker
09-19-2008, 07:07 AM
ya De Guzman would be stupid to come here now, if he could (not sure his contract status). Stalteri has complained about the field turf, so I can't see that either.

BakaGaijin
09-19-2008, 07:32 AM
ya De Guzman would be stupid to come here now, if he could (not sure his contract status). Stalteri has complained about the field turf, so I can't see that either.

Why would de Guzman be stupid to come to Toronto? He has stated that he wants to play in Toronto. His contract at Deportivo is done at the end of this season, he would have a chance to move to Toronto without any transfer fee. I'm not sure how much he makes at Deportivo, however, I suspect that MLSE are in a position to pay him much more than he would get from them if they are going to build the franchise around him.

If Mo really wants him, I am sure that he has already approached him.

arsenal
09-19-2008, 07:33 AM
De Guzman would be incredible. If there is any chance he would consider they should break the bank for him. Outside of De Guzman though I can;t see any other Canadian who makes sense for DP. DeRo is not worth it IMO and Stalteri is past his sell by date as premier player ... he looked lost in WCQ's.

Tintin
09-19-2008, 07:35 AM
Why would de Guzman be stupid to come to Toronto? He has stated that he wants to play in Toronto. His contract at Deportivo is done at the end of this season, he would have a chance to move to Toronto without any transfer fee. I'm not sure how much he makes at Deportivo, however, I suspect that MLSE are in a position to pay him much more than he would get from them if they are going to build the franchise around him.

If Mo really wants him, I am sure that he has already approached him.

Because it is not always about money. At 27, he has many years left as a top plyer. Coming here would stop his developpement and erode his skills.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 07:36 AM
De Guzman would be amazing, i dont see him coming but sweet god thatd be great.
We'd have to offer him some stupid cash to tempt him. Whats he making right now?

Toronto_Bhoy
09-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Why would you leave one of the best leagues in the world to come here…right in your prime?

Oldtimer
09-19-2008, 08:19 AM
"In a couple of months' time I will probably go to Sao Paulo and Rio, and then head to Argentina because we have a contact at Boca Juniors."

If he's telling the truth, that is good news.

Oldtimer
09-19-2008, 08:19 AM
Why would you leave one of the best leagues in the world to come here…right in your prime?

Lack of playing time.
The chance to be close to home.
$$$$$$

Billy the kid
09-19-2008, 08:41 AM
If they don't have somebody locked up then they shouldn't be talking such a big game. I hope they don't end up signing a second rate DP because they said they would have somebody.

bgnewf
09-19-2008, 09:09 AM
This sounds to me like more MLSE bafflegab. The fans are restless with the progress the team is making and this coincides with season ticket renewal season so they float a rumour to get everybody excited. I take as much credence from this statement as those statements Mo has made about grass and that Mo made pre-season about additional players coming into the fold.

Until i see a pic on the TFC website with either DeRo or De Guzman holding up our jersey I would put absolutely zero credence in these rumours.

And as far as a Canadian DP goes, DeRo or De Guzman would be the only possibilities. Nobody else makes sense as a Designated player.

Stugatzo
09-19-2008, 09:45 AM
David Edgar??
Center back...and Newcastle connection (because apparently we have to have one of those)!!

DOMIN8R
09-19-2008, 09:49 AM
David Edgar??
Center back...and Newcastle connection (because apparently we have to have one of those)!!

I thought of that as well. Though I question whether they would spend DP money on the back third. If they spent on 2 DPs - maybe more likelly.

BakaGaijin
09-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Because it is not always about money. At 27, he has many years left as a top plyer. Coming here would stop his developpement and erode his skills.

Perhaps he want's to play more of an attacking role. He only has 1 goal in 88 games at Deportivo. He links up the defence with the attack.

kshep
09-19-2008, 04:17 PM

To be worshiped as a god perhaps? I mean really, say JDG does come here and does destroy the league; We'd treat him as the second coming of Christ. It's all good to play in a foreign country and have a great career, it's something else entirely to play in in your home town and be exalted to the level of god.

Why not come back in the prime of your career indeed.

Seen
09-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Anyone who thinks De Guzman is coming anytime soon is crazy. He was selected as Player of the Year last year at Depor. He'll be here in his 30's, like most locals who want to play for their hometown Leafs.

rocktml
09-20-2008, 05:59 PM
If we'd be able to get De Guzman that 'd be crazy!

RPB_Brantford_08
09-20-2008, 06:31 PM
cant blame Mo for wanting to go back to south america again with the canadian winter coming on!!!