PDA

View Full Version : TFC's Questionable Canadian Status And Ottawa Bid

[NBF]
09-18-2008, 09:07 PM
:canada:TFC is quickly becoming an American or International soccer team rather a Canadian team. Its painfully obvious by the amount of Canadian players playing on the 1st team (old news), but recently the nationality on the roster has changed to a mix of 1. International talent, 2. American talent and lastly 3. Canadian talent.

Canadian Players on TFC Roster:
1. Greg Sutton (1st team)
2. Jim Brenan (1st team)

3. Tyler Rosenlund
4. Joey Melo
5. Nana Attakora-Gyan
6. Gabe Gala
7. Kevin Harmse
8. Derek Gaudet

American Players on TFC Roster:
1. Chad Barrett (1st team)
2. Hunter Freeman
3. Marvell Wynn (1st team)
4. Todd Dunivant
5. Abdus Ibrahim
6. Brian Edwards
7. Johann Smith
8. Tim Regan

International Players on TFC Roster:
1. Carl Robinson (1st team)
2. Julius James (1st team)
3. Rohan Ricketts (1st team)
4. Amado Guevara (1st team)
5. Carlos Ruiz
6. Danny Dichio
7. Killian Elkinson
8. Jarrod Smith
9. Tyrone Marshall (1st team)
10. Marco Velez

Ok, so this is old news to most people, but the fact that we have less Canadian talent than American and International talent really bums me out, because I find it hard to believe that this team will have any Canadian talent if it wants to succeed to the playoffs and even an MLS Cup.

As far as Ottawa goes, where it will get its players who the hell knows! But doesnt a Ottawa team minimize the pool of Canadian talent that is capable of playing at the MLS level?:canada:

:mad:Mad

Nuvinho
09-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Tim Regan is not on the team, he was a one game deal.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-18-2008, 09:15 PM
;191129']:canada:TFC is quickly becoming an American or International soccer team rather a Canadian team. Its painfully obvious by the amount of Canadian players playing on the 1st team (old news), but recently the nationality on the roster has changed to a mix of 1. International talent, 2. American talent and lastly 3. Canadian talent.

Canadian Players on TFC Roster:
1. Greg Sutton (1st team)
2. Jim Brenan (1st team)

3. Tyler Rosenlund
4. Joey Melo
5. Nana Attakora-Gyan
6. Gabe Gala
7. Kevin Harmse
8. Derek Gaudet

American Players on TFC Roster:
1. Chad Barrett (1st team)
2. Hunter Freeman
3. Marvell Wynn (1st team)
4. Todd Dunivant
5. Abdus Ibrahim
6. Brian Edwards
7. Johann Smith
8. Tim Regan

International Players on TFC Roster:
1. Carl Robinson (1st team)
2. Julius James (1st team)
3. Rohan Ricketts (1st team)
4. Amado Guevara (1st team)
5. Carlos Ruiz
6. Danny Dichio
7. Killian Elkinson
8. Jarrod Smith
9. Tyrone Marshall (1st team)
10. Marco Velez

Ok, so this is old news to most people, but the fact that we have less Canadian talent than American and International talent really bums me out, because I find it hard to believe that this team will have any Canadian talent if it wants to succeed to the playoffs and even an MLS Cup.

As far as Ottawa goes, where it will get its players who the hell knows! But doesnt a Ottawa team minimize the pool of Canadian talent that is capable of playing at the MLS level?:canada:

:mad:Mad

There is no good Canadian talent out there to make a competitve team, simply as that. And if you visit this forum on a daily basis, the fans in most cases want a winner now. we keep enough Canadian on the roster to satisfy MLS rules on domestic players.Take a look at the national team all Canadians, and they suck shite!! So TFC needs to continue building a decent club and if that means with a bare amount of Canucks so be it,
you can't have a winning team and a full load of canadians on it, it won;t work ( see Nats)..
didnt vote as there is no player there iwould want to see playing for the REDS!!

Axeman
09-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Ottawa makes Canada a better soccer nation if they get an MLS franchise, I'm for TFC but let's not get dumb here there's a reason why soccer is the no.1 participation sport in Canada, because we have lot's of talent but few professional teams, Ottawa doesn't dilute that talent it just gives them a place to go.

Blazer
09-18-2008, 09:39 PM
TFC is a Canadian based franchise because tickets are sold in Canadian dollars while games are played on Canadian soil – I know, go figure?! You play the game and compete at the highest possible level regardless of where your players come from. You simply take the best available who also want to be here at the same time.

This is a stupid and destructive thread towards the Canadian Soccer Association. Mods delete.

Cashcleaner
09-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Hutchinson. Just wait and see. :D

Toronto Ruffrider
09-19-2008, 12:23 AM
I would love to see many of the above players, particularly DeRo, in TFC red. However, signing any of the above players doesn't really accomplish anything with regard to improving the Canadian soccer pool. The best thing that TFC (and possibly an Ottawa franchise) could do to improve the Canadian talent base would be to develop players at the academy level. A combination of a strong academy and more stringent domestic player requirements in the long run will do wonders for Canadian soccer.

As far as Ottawa's domestic roster requirements go, there is nothing to be concerned with. One would assume that if Ottawa entered MLS, it would initially have virtually the same Canadian quota as TFC - i.e. virtually nil. There are enough semi-decent Canadian players available to fill at least a couple of senior roster positions on an MLS team.

RicoSuave44
09-19-2008, 01:22 AM
Voted DeRo, Ante Jazic and Attiba Hutchinson

Cambridge_Red
09-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Ever heard of this team called Arsenal? Pointless thread.

wzhxvy
09-19-2008, 06:21 AM
TFC is a Canadian based franchise because tickets are sold in Canadian dollars while games are played on Canadian soil – I know, go figure?! You play the game and compete at the highest possible level regardless of where your players come from. You simply take the best available who also want to be here at the same time.

This is a stupid and destructive thread towards the Canadian Soccer Association. Mods delete.

Mods please destruct the Canadian Soccer Association. Please !!

MisterMacphisto
09-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Excuse me for saying so, but I think its an interesting thread topic where we can discuss several angles about the game in Canada. Why the fuck delete it?

Shaughno
09-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Let's sign ALL the Canadian National team players so we can get stranded for players at the every Int'l break! :D

Mark in Ottawa
09-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Having professional teams in Canada with good academy systems can only help the country develop better talent and give them places to aspire to.
For some that level will be it and for others they will continue onto the top leagues of world football.

nascarguy
09-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Peters recently came 3rd in the Ipswich Town Supporter's Player of the Year Award.
He has been rumoured to be joining Brighton and Hove Albion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_and_Hove_Albion) on a loan deal to help bolster their attacking option, after failing to break into the first team

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaime_Peters

Serioux started his pro career with the Toronto Lynx (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Lynx) in the A-League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USL_First_Division). He then moved to England to join Millwall (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millwall_F.C.). Serioux is known to have one of the longest throws in the sport, once setting up a goal against Leicester City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_City_F.C.), from a throw-in at the half way line

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Serioux

Paul Stalteri
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Stalteri

Ante Jazic --Los Angeles Galaxy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Galaxy)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ante_Jazic

Marcel de Jong-- Roda JC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roda_JC)
Marcel de Jong decided to play for the Canadian national team instead of the Dutch national team (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands_national_football_team), reasoning that he would be more likely to garner a spot with Canada than with the Netherlands. His first cap for the Canadian senior men's team came on November 20, 2007 in a friendly against South Africa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_De_Jong

arbogast
09-19-2008, 08:15 AM
As far as I know DeRo is the only player on that list who is out of contract at the end of this season.

We all know MLS does not pay transfer fees, so I figure it's DeRo

Also, None of those other players would do anything PR wise for the league. TFC making a splash, signing Dwayne and selling a shitload of shirts makes better business sense for the league.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 08:15 AM
I love how the thread title has absolutely nothing to do with the poll.
If the guy who started this thread had read any previous threads on the topic he'd understand why there are so few canadian players.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 08:16 AM
As far as I knoe DeRo is the only player on that list who is out of contract at the end of this season.

We all know MLS does not pay transfer fees, so I figure it's DeRo

Thought De Ro signed an extension of 3 years last year??

Oldtimer
09-19-2008, 08:21 AM
De Ro's on the record as wanting to come to TFC... some day.

jabbronies
09-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Here is the thing. Yes TFC should be giving Canadian players the opportunity to play on the team given that they are based in Canada, however, this is still a competition. TFC needs to put the best team possible out there. Unfortunatley there are not enough established talented Canadian players out there available to TFC.

as for the pole, I picked Adrian Serioux. We need a strong D man in the middle.

nascarguy
09-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Lars Hirschfeld could be sign for more then he is being pay now. he is only playing in the Liga II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liga_II) for CFR Cluj (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFR_Cluj) they only have average attendance of 5,417 spectators per match

nascarguy
09-19-2008, 08:45 AM
De Ro's on the record as wanting to come to TFC... some day.
yes by he was dp money and grass

flatpicker
09-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Let's sign ALL the Canadian National team players so we can get stranded for players at the every Int'l break! :D

This is exactly my fear.

Unless they fix the schedule to avoid conflicting with fifa dates, I would rather see decent talent from strong soccer nations.
Players that are good but not good enough to play for their countries...

Billy the kid
09-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Don't many of the best English teams have less English players than we have Canadians? I think we're doing pretty good. We'd be doing our national team a diservice by bringing a lot of Canadians back from Europe.

Give the academy time to develope, it's been less than two years.

jabbronies
09-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Here is the thing. Yes TFC should be giving Canadian players the opportunity to play on the team given that they are based in Canada, however, this is still a competition. TFC needs to put the best team possible out there. Unfortunatley there are not enough established talented Canadian players out there available to TFC.

as for the pole, I picked Adrian Serioux. We need a strong D man in the middle.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Your title was completely unrelated to what was in your post. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but look at how many foreigners teams in the Premiership have. I'd hazard a guess that less than 50% of the players in Premiership starting elevens are English- and England is supposedly one of the football powers of the world. Does that suddenly mean that those clubs are no longer English? They play in England and are supported by English fans. Eventually, we will see more Canadians at TFC. The fact of the matter is, the Canadians who could crack our starting eleven won't come here because the standard of play in MLS isn't high enough and in the prime of their careers they could make far more money elsewhere.

arbogast
09-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Thought De Ro signed an extension of 3 years last year??

oh yeah. my bad he's signed thru 2010. unless Dynamo play ball via trade, then DeRo won't be here and he won't be a DP anyway under his current deal.

Keegan
09-19-2008, 03:44 PM
There is no good Canadian talent out there to make a competitve team, simply as that. And if you visit this forum on a daily basis, the fans in most cases want a winner now. we keep enough Canadian on the roster to satisfy MLS rules on domestic players.Take a look at the national team all Canadians, and they suck shite!! So TFC needs to continue building a decent club and if that means with a bare amount of Canucks so be it,
you can't have a winning team and a full load of canadians on it, it won;t work ( see Nats)..
didnt vote as there is no player there iwould want to see playing for the REDS!!

Seriously you are so fucking retarded it isn't funny. Mo Johnston is the problem, not a lack of Canadian talent. Jim Brennan and Greg Sutton are key players for TFC but don't even start for the NT. Canada sucks shit? Could TFC go toe to toe with Brazil all game?

Will Johnson, De Rosario, Jazic, Serioux are Canadians that play regularly in MLS and are quality players by MLS standard.

You are just like all the Euro snobs in this country, Canada sucks... wah wah wah.

Well guess what buddy? the CANADIAN U20s BEAT TFC while missing about 5 starters!!!

The Canadian NT would absolutely tear apart TFC and if you don't agree with that then you are pretty ignorant. Julian De Guzman best player for Deportivo La Coruna! Rob Friend THIRD in Bundesliga scoring!

Mo doesn't like Canadians period. No player currently on TFC would start for Canada EXCEPT MAYBE Guevara.

Stick to supporting Liverpool like the rest of glory hunters in this country.

Here is the Canadian C XI team in my opinion and this team I know would embarrass TFC.

-----------------Occean (Lillestrom)--Hoillet (St. Pauli)----------------------
----------------------------Hume (Barnsley)-----------------------------------
Simpson (Kaiserslautern)-----------------------------Johnson(Real Salt Lake)
-----------------------------Jazic (Galaxy)-----------------------------------
De Jong(Roda JC)---Hainault(Most)---Jakovic(Red Star)---Nana (TFC)
-------------------------------Onstad(Houston)---------------------------

Now come on. That team would easily beat TFC. Actually that team would be a MLS contender. I just put Attakora-Gyan in there for kicks, he's not Canada's 3rd best RB (yet).

Occean one of the best in Norway, great goal scorer. Hoillet 18 year old prodigy on loan from Blackburn to St. Pauli. Hume just sold to Barnsley for 1.2 million pounds. Johnson already a fan favourite in Salt Lake after just a few games. Josh Simpson one of the best players on FCK currently 1st in B2. Ante Jazic a solid MLS player for a few years now, overseas experience. Marcel De Jong one of the best young full backs in Netherlands. Hainault been tracked by Bundesliga clubs, one of the best foreign players in the Czech league only 22 played for Sparta Prague last year. Jakovic wearing #6 for famous Red Star. Onstad multiple keeper of the year awards, won the last 2 MLS Cups.

Thanks for coming out though. Not enough Canadian talent... pffff

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Hume and Occean are better than 'C' level, but I agree. With that team, we'd be the Man Utd of MLS.

Cashcleaner
09-19-2008, 03:52 PM
didnt vote as there is no player there i would want to see playing for the REDS!!

Are you on drugs, or have you simply not been following soccer for the past 5 years?

I'm sorry, but the Canadian national team would probably steamroll over much of the MLS. Sure, one or two of the better clubs (Crew or Revs) would give us a run for our money but we'd probably be looking pretty a mile better than we are now if we had more CMNT players wearing red for Toronto.

And I can say all of that with a bit of authority as I am not deaf, dumb, and blind.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Keegan-
We definitely have talent but
Where are we going to fit all these guys under the cap?
So you really think the MLS will pony up the money to for the transfer fees?

The fact is we dont have the available players to field a full canadian team or a majority canadian team otherwise we wouldnt have signed braz and reda last season and would have signed alot more canadians this season. Has nothing to do with MoJo hating canadians

Redcoe15
09-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Mods please destruct the Canadian Soccer Association. Please !!
:devil: With lotsa dynamite, please?

JonO
09-19-2008, 04:03 PM
There simply is not enough Canadian talent. That does not mean there is not Canadian talent - just not enough. The good Canadian players are in Europe. What's left for the MLS? Compare that to the Americans who have a deeper pool of talent and can support having "quality" players in the MLS.

I really think the solution is to have both US & Canadian players count as domestic talent (for both US and CA based teams) This would significantly open the door for Canadian development as there would be more opportunities (simply more US teams would not have to use a DP slot on a Canadian). It would also level the playing field between the US teams and the Canadian team(s). My 2c

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 04:11 PM
it doesnt help that the CSA does nothing to develop it here.
Its been left to the clubs, Mon, Van, TFC, and they will do a good job. Sadly it excuses the CSA from doing anything. and having players is years down the road.

OneLoveOneEric
09-19-2008, 04:15 PM
This doesn't bother me in the least. I actually hate all the entanglement of TFC and Canada. We aren't some arm or promotional wing of the national team. We aren't their farm system either. I want to see the best 11 players we can get on the field at any given time. I don't care if they're from Mars. I don't think TFC has any responsibility to the national team, or the CSA, whatsoever.

Keegan
09-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Hume and Occean are better than 'C' level, but I agree. With that team, we'd be the Man Utd of MLS.

Well it is a C Canadian team I did it based on my depth chart

De Rosario, Radzinski, Gerba, Friend, Nakajima-Farran are imo ahead of them.

That is how deep Canada is now, hard to believe that players like Hume and Occean would be in a C XI. But that is how far we have come.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 04:18 PM
They dont, you are correct.
I do think they need to develop their own talent for the squad, its just unfortunate that inevitably this same squad will land on the Canadian team (as i said previously because itll allow the CSA to negate its own development of players)

OneLoveOneEric
09-19-2008, 04:23 PM
I agree about needing to take the bull by the horns development-wise, but I think that (a) MLS league and financial structure probably make it a bad investment for teams, and (b) again, I wouldn't care what country these development players came from. It would seem obvious that a TFC academy would fill with Canadian kids, because, let's face it, it wouldn't exactly be prestigious, but I'd welcome any promising talent that was willing to come play. And when you think of it, Canada would probably be a pretty attractive place for many families with a talented kid to relocate to.

AL-MO
09-19-2008, 04:27 PM
They dont, you are correct.
I do think they need to develop their own talent for the squad, its just unfortunate that inevitably this same squad will land on the Canadian team (as i said previously because itll allow the CSA to negate its own development of players)

I agree with all of your points, but just remember CLUBS develop players NOT National Associations...

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 04:43 PM
I agree with all of your points, but just remember CLUBS develop players NOT National Associations...

oh absolutely, however usually NA's usually set up/fund structures where the CSA has not what so ever

AL-MO
09-19-2008, 04:46 PM
oh absolutely, however usually NA's usually set up/fund structures where the CSA has not what so ever

No. It is a BIG time mess right now. There are a TON of issues, that you probably wouldn't even realize until you are 'on the inside'.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 04:59 PM
I can only imagine.
god i hate those bastards

ManUtd4ever
09-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Are you on drugs, or have you simply not been following soccer for the past 5 years?

I'm sorry, but the Canadian national team would probably steamroll over much of the MLS. Sure, one or two of the better clubs (Crew or Revs) would give us a run for our money but we'd probably be looking pretty a mile better than we are now if we had more CMNT players wearing red for Toronto.

And I can say all of that with a bit of authority as I am not deaf, dumb, and blind.

QFT!

RPB_Brantford_08
09-19-2008, 05:40 PM

The Nats couldn't beat TFC or their reserve team. we would be a weaker side with more canadians on it ...fact

werewolf
09-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Seriously you are so fucking retarded it isn't funny. Mo Johnston is the problem, not a lack of Canadian talent. Jim Brennan and Greg Sutton are key players for TFC but don't even start for the NT. Canada sucks shit? Could TFC go toe to toe with Brazil all game?

Will Johnson, De Rosario, Jazic, Serioux are Canadians that play regularly in MLS and are quality players by MLS standard.

the CANADIAN U20s BEAT TFC while missing about 5 starters!!!

The Nats couldn't beat TFC or their reserve team. we would be a weaker side with more canadians on it ...fact

You must have missed this the first time. :canada:

RPB_Brantford_08
09-19-2008, 06:05 PM

You are just like all the Euro snobs in this country, Canada sucks... wah wah wah.

Well guess what buddy? the CANADIAN U20s BEAT TFC while missing about 5 starters!!!

The Canadian NT would absolutely tear apart TFC and if you don't agree with that then you are pretty ignorant. Julian De Guzman best player for Deportivo La Coruna! Rob Friend THIRD in Bundesliga scoring!

Mo doesn't like Canadians period. No player currently on TFC would start for Canada EXCEPT MAYBE Guevara.

Stick to supporting Liverpool like the rest of glory hunters in this country.

Here is the Canadian C XI team in my opinion and this team I know would embarrass TFC.

-----------------Occean (Lillestrom)--Hoillet (St. Pauli)----------------------
----------------------------Hume (Barnsley)-----------------------------------
Simpson (Kaiserslautern)-----------------------------Johnson(Real Salt Lake)
-----------------------------Jazic (Galaxy)-----------------------------------
De Jong(Roda JC)---Hainault(Most)---Jakovic(Red Star)---Nana (TFC)
-------------------------------Onstad(Houston)---------------------------

Now come on. That team would easily beat TFC. Actually that team would be a MLS contender. I just put Attakora-Gyan in there for kicks, he's not Canada's 3rd best RB (yet).

Occean one of the best in Norway, great goal scorer. Hoillet 18 year old prodigy on loan from Blackburn to St. Pauli. Hume just sold to Barnsley for 1.2 million pounds. Johnson already a fan favourite in Salt Lake after just a few games. Josh Simpson one of the best players on FCK currently 1st in B2. Ante Jazic a solid MLS player for a few years now, overseas experience. Marcel De Jong one of the best young full backs in Netherlands. Hainault been tracked by Bundesliga clubs, one of the best foreign players in the Czech league only 22 played for Sparta Prague last year. Jakovic wearing #6 for famous Red Star. Onstad multiple keeper of the year awards, won the last 2 MLS Cups.

Thanks for coming out though. Not enough Canadian talent... pffff

First off brazil went easy on us,,it was a freindly..if the game actually meant something you would have seen a different score. TFC should never be a Canadian national team, F**k that idea, TFC needs to look after its own interests Not Canada's. Mo doesn't have to like Canadian players, Im Canadian and dislike them as well cause in general they are Shite....How many Canadians do you see actually blaying at Big clubs,
Liverpool, Man UTD,Chelsea, Milans, Celtic, etc....NONE..most Canadian players play for 2nd division clubs or lower. So please stop with the nationalitic rant, TFC first, national team....ho hum..second.

werewolf
09-19-2008, 06:10 PM
seems you are misinformed again...

Of the 23 call-ups from the last set of games, only 3 weren't playing in division 1, and there were players from the English Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga and Scottish Premier League (since you seem to think Celtic is a "big" club) and other top divisions.

3 of 23 does not equal most.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-19-2008, 06:15 PM
seems you are misinformed again...

Of the 23 call-ups from the last set of games, only 3 weren't playing in division 1, and there were players from the English Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga and Scottish Premier League (since you seem to think Celtic is a "big" club) and other top divisions.

3 of 23 does not equal most.

but what teams in the EPL? In La Liga? Real Madrid, Barcelona < hardlyBundesliga...Bayern Munich,?? SPL if they don't play for celtic or rangers they are at small clubs. Playing in Norway? thats a top league isn't it...the sugar coating of Canadian players must stop, when they reach the big clubs let me know...

AL-MO
09-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Its going to take a while for TFC and its academy to have any affect on Canadian Soccer other than the increased interest levels.

AL-MO
09-19-2008, 06:19 PM
but what teams in the EPL? In La Liga? Real Madrid, Barcelona < hardlyBundesliga...Bayern Munich,?? SPL if they don't play for celtic or rangers they are at small clubs. Playing in Norway? thats a top league isn't it...the sugar coating of Canadian players must stop, when they reach the big clubs let me know...

Who cares what teams? They are playing top level competition week in week out.

werewolf
09-19-2008, 06:20 PM
This is what you said.

most Canadian players play for 2nd division clubs or lower.

20 of 23 players are in the First Division.

8 of them are in the Champions League or UEFA Cup.

Unfortunately, your perception of a "big" club holds little water.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Fortunately, I have RPB brantford etc. on ignore. It helps, believe me.

Keegan
09-19-2008, 06:40 PM
First off brazil went easy on us,,it was a freindly..if the game actually meant something you would have seen a different score. TFC should never be a Canadian national team, F**k that idea, TFC needs to look after its own interests Not Canada's. Mo doesn't have to like Canadian players, Im Canadian and dislike them as well cause in general they are Shite....How many Canadians do you see actually blaying at Big clubs,
Liverpool, Man UTD,Chelsea, Milans, Celtic, etc....NONE..most Canadian players play for 2nd division clubs or lower. So please stop with the nationalitic rant, TFC first, national team....ho hum..second.

You are such a moron its not even funny. Your lack of football knowledge is unreal. Newcastle, Tottenham, Red Star, Borussia Monchengladbach, FC Kobenhavn, Deportivo La Coruna, FC Koln..... BIG clubs. Sorry there aren't any Canadian kids on Manchester United, AC Milan, Chelsea or Liverpool since those are the only clubs you seem to know.

ATIBA HUTCHINSON TURNED DOWN RANGERS. FACT.

Julian De Guzman's team hasn't lost to Real Madrid at home in FIFTEEN YEARS. FACT. He was also MoM in their last match vs. them a couple weeks back.

Tell me do you just watch Champs League on TSN and shop at Sportchek for replica jerseys?

And oh my.... complaining about second division players on the NT? TFC is full of former second division players.

NT couldn't beat TFC or TFC reserves? I would guarantee that the Canadian NT would finish TFC off in half an hour.

Its actually been two years running that the U20s have beat TFC.

Go sit back down on your XBox. Ignorant fool.

Keegan
09-19-2008, 06:55 PM

Are you on drugs?

Man for man best lineups
4-3-3 Canada 4-4-2 TFC
Friend >>>>>>>>>>>> Dichio
De Rosario = Guevara
Radzinski >>>>>> Barrett
Hutchinson >>>>>>> Ricketts
De Guzman >>>>>>>> Brennan
Imhof >>>>> Robinson
Klukowski >>>>>>>>> Freeman
Serioux >>>> Marshall
McKenna >>>>>>> Velez
Stalteri > Wynne*
Hirschfeld >> Sutton
*both have flaws, Stalteri has the smarts and experience so I gave him the edge. At this point he is above Wynne but falling fast.

One TFC player is on par with a Canada player. Another two Sutton and Wynne are very close in Canada's two weakest positions.

Keegan
09-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Keegan-
We definitely have talent but
Where are we going to fit all these guys under the cap?
So you really think the MLS will pony up the money to for the transfer fees?

The fact is we dont have the available players to field a full canadian team or a majority canadian team otherwise we wouldnt have signed braz and reda last season and would have signed alot more canadians this season. Has nothing to do with MoJo hating canadians

No I know we could never fit that team under the cap. Just this guy is saying TFC could beat the NT and all Canadians are "shite".

BakaGaijin
09-19-2008, 07:07 PM

Hmmmm.....Croatia is ranked 5th in the world and their current squad does not have a single player on Liverpool, ManU, Chelsea, Milan, or Celtic. I guess TFC is better than the Croatian national team........

:rolleyes:

Keegan
09-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Hmmmm.....Croatia is ranked 5th in the world and their current squad does not have a single player on Liverpool, ManU, Chelsea, Milan, or Celtic. I guess TFC is better than the Croatian national team........

:rolleyes:

Croatia players may play in the Premier League but if you aren't playing for Man Utd, Chelsea, Milan, Celtic or Real Madrid you aren't good. You are "shite" just like the whole Canadian nt. :rolleyes::eek:

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 07:28 PM
No I know we could never fit that team under the cap. Just this guy is saying TFC could beat the NT and all Canadians are "shite".

Dudes high.
Right now York u-12 girls could beat us.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 07:30 PM
But seriously our NT is underrated, as individuals, the same could be said as a unified team although our current record is debateable

AL-MO
09-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Now the question is, could a DALE MITCHELL coached NT still beat TFC :lol:

RPB_Brantford_08
09-19-2008, 08:36 PM
You are such a moron its not even funny. Your lack of football knowledge is unreal. Newcastle, Tottenham, Red Star, Borussia Monchengladbach, FC Kobenhavn, Deportivo La Coruna, FC Koln..... BIG clubs. Sorry there aren't any Canadian kids on Manchester United, AC Milan, Chelsea or Liverpool since those are the only clubs you seem to know.

ATIBA HUTCHINSON TURNED DOWN RANGERS. FACT.

Julian De Guzman's team hasn't lost to Real Madrid at home in FIFTEEN YEARS. FACT. He was also MoM in their last match vs. them a couple weeks back.

Tell me do you just watch Champs League on TSN and shop at Sportchek for replica jerseys?

And oh my.... complaining about second division players on the NT? TFC is full of former second division players.

NT couldn't beat TFC or TFC reserves? I would guarantee that the Canadian NT would finish TFC off in half an hour.

Its actually been two years running that the U20s have beat TFC.

Go sit back down on your XBox. Ignorant fool.

Newcastle and tottenham have been non competitive for years they just make up the numbers in the league, Koenhaven theres a real power house, how many CL titles have they got then? Moenchenglandbach and Koln used to be big German Clubs but are now more the linew of tottenham and Spurs. the U-20s beating TFC was a friendly, like Brazil and Canada lets see the results if the game actually mean something!!

If Canadian players are good what explains their current WCQ campaign, the blaming the CSA can only go on for so long, the players are NOT good enough, even for Concacaf, and we will have the same debate 4 years on when they fail to qualify for Brazil>.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-19-2008, 08:41 PM
But seriously our NT is underrated, as individuals, the same could be said as a unified team although our current record is debateable

Underrated....:eek: your having a laugh...we have failed since Mexico 86 to get a team out of concacaf the weakest of all the football confederations, except oceania we have players that are to lazy to play for the jersey and cant put the effort at home...4 years ago Guatemala wiped the floor with us, as Honduras did with us recently...we have 3 games left, in this current campaign...bet we get no points, in the 3 games??

J .
09-19-2008, 08:45 PM
ali gerba

id take him over our current cadre of strikers

werewolf
09-19-2008, 08:46 PM

Well obviously!

werewolf
09-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Newcastle and tottenham have been non competitive for years they just make up the numbers in the league, Koenhaven theres a real power house, how many CL titles have they got then? Moenchenglandbach and Koln used to be big German Clubs but are now more the linew of tottenham and Spurs. the U-20s beating TFC was a friendly, like Brazil and Canada lets see the results if the game actually mean something!!

How many TFC players have played on one of those "big clubs" at any stage of their careers? For that matter, how many have played at a club of equal caliber to the Tottenham or Newcastle or FCK or Deportivo at any point in their careers?

RPB_Brantford_08
09-19-2008, 08:53 PM
How many TFC players have played on one of those "big clubs" at any stage of their careers? For that matter, how many have played at a club of equal caliber to the Tottenham or Newcastle or FCK or Deportivo at any point in their careers?

None but you don't expect TFC to be signing those type players do you?
all im saying is Canadians need to take the maple leaf covered glasses off
when looking at Canadian talent, they are not good enough, one or two actually making a big club is as rare as a wcq win at home..

werewolf
09-19-2008, 09:33 PM
None

So how is TFC better then the national team?

RPB_Brantford_08
09-19-2008, 09:36 PM
So how is TFC better then the national team?
at least they go out and try to win, even short handed, the national team the guys "just show up" they dont really care for the results. IMHO
anyways.

Keegan
09-19-2008, 11:57 PM
at least they go out and try to win, even short handed, the national team the guys "just show up" they dont really care for the results. IMHO
anyways.

Ya thats why they fly half way across the world. Just to show up. And they don't care about results? That is why they walked straight off the pitch after drawing at home and had a fight in the room after the Honduras game? :rolleyes:

And Canadian players playing on big clubs rare? We have about half our roster playing on semi-big to big clubs.

Keegan
09-20-2008, 12:03 AM

If Canadian players are good what explains their current WCQ campaign, the blaming the CSA can only go on for so long, the players are NOT good enough, even for Concacaf, and we will have the same debate 4 years on when they fail to qualify for Brazil>.

Ooo you really gave me something to play with here. Ok Kobenhavn isn't a big team? 1) They are one of the richest clubs in the world 2) They beat two teams you have a hard on for in the CL Man Utd (1-0) and Celtic (4-1) Hutchinson scored the 1st in the Celtic game.
Or did those games "not matter"? :rolleyes:

Newcastle and Tottenham not big clubs? Are you insane? Newcastle is one of the most popular clubs in the world and can boast players such as Michael Owen, Shay Given and Obafemi Martins. Tottenham isn't too bad neither spending tons each year on world class talent.

England didn't qualify for Euro their players must be REALLY shit then? I men Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Terry... those guys must REALLY suck. :rolleyes:

You argument is that since Canada hasn't done well this campaign that their players are useless and would make TFC worse... it makes NO sense. Every player on the Canada would walk onto TFC.

AL-MO
09-20-2008, 03:46 PM

If you can't see that the managing/coaching is lacking I don't know what you are watching.

Do we have the players to win the WC? NO, we may not even have the players to make it out of a group. But we do have the players to qualify for the WC...It takes a coach that can properly organize the team using a proper formation that best suits the team etc. 4-5-1 in Mitchell's system isn't getting us anywhere.

Shakes McQueen
09-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Questioning TFC's Canadian "status" because we don't have a ton of Canadian players, is dumb.

Toronto FC wasn't launched as a patriotic expedition - it's a professional sports club. How many Canadians do the Blue Jays have in their lineup? How about the Raptors?

We are forever going to be a middling club, if we demand that management give priority to signing Canadian talent. The CSA has a lot of growing up to do, before Canada starts exporting more proper football players.

- Scott

sully
09-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Questioning TFC's Canadian "status" because we don't have a ton of Canadian players, is dumb.

Toronto FC wasn't launched as a patriotic expedition - it's a professional sports club. How many Canadians do the Blue Jays have in their lineup? How about the Raptors?

We are forever going to be a middling club, if we demand that management give priority to signing Canadian talent. The CSA has a lot of growing up to do, before Canada starts exporting more proper football players.

- Scott

Thank you, I agree...and am a bit tired of this question coming up so often.

werewolf
09-20-2008, 05:02 PM
do the Raptors or Jays have roster restrictions in place as an effort to encourage the club to sign domestic players?

Shakes McQueen
09-20-2008, 08:37 PM
do the Raptors or Jays have roster restrictions in place as an effort to encourage the club to sign domestic players?

No, but what does that have to do with my point? We are meeting our obligations in regards to domestic players.

MLS is trying to be more than just a bush league showcase for domestic North American talent - it's trying to be... a major league for soccer.

If a Canadian player is good enough to be in our starting XI, then so be it. If they aren't - to the bench you go, in favour of internationals who can raise the level of play in the league.

- Scott

werewolf
09-20-2008, 09:18 PM
I, personally, would rather have the best Canadians available on the team. We are required to have domestic players as a way of growing the game in the country, as opposed to having all foreign players. Why fill out the technicalities with the bottom of the barrel?

As mentioned earlier, 8 players that were called up earlier this month for the national team are involved in the UEFA Cup or Champions League, I am not sure what that has to do with the CSA's issues, but it is certainly a far better standard then the MLS. We should be lauding every effort to get one of those players on our squad.

Shakes McQueen
09-20-2008, 09:35 PM
I, personally, would rather have the best Canadians available on the team. We are required to have domestic players as a way of growing the game in the country, as opposed to having all foreign players. Why fill out the technicalities with the bottom of the barrel?

As mentioned earlier, 8 players that were called up earlier this month for the national team are involved in the UEFA Cup or Champions League, I am not sure what that has to do with the CSA's issues, but it is certainly a far better standard then the MLS. We should be lauding every effort to get one of those players on our squad.

I would also love to have every good Canadian player with our club, but you can't just make that happen in a remotely respectable major league.

If MLS were ever to make a rule that Canadian clubs got first dibs on Canadian players, it would basically be Garber conceding that the league itself is a big farce.

- Scott

VPjr
09-22-2008, 02:24 AM
MLS is trying to be more than just a bush league showcase for domestic North American talent - it's trying to be... a major league for soccer.

- Scott

Oh, but you are wrong Scott

MLS IS about showcasing domestic talent. That was its purpose from Day 1 and is the reason why it is the "chosen" league of the USSF.

Believe me, the USSF is not fond of the fact that international spots keep being created, thereby creating less guaranteed spots for players coming up through the various developmental channels that exist. Right now, they bite their tongue because as the league adds clubs, the overall number of spots available to US players really isn't changing much because each new team needs their own domestic talent. However, if the number of overall spots available to US players per roster continues to drop, there will be controversy. The USSF doesn't see MLS becoming a Major league as a big priority. The USSF wants the league to be an incubator for American talent, first and foremost. The rapid improvement of the US national team program is a by product of the MLS' rules that favor American players.

As for Canadians, when TFC was created, they spoke glowingly about how good it would be for Canadian soccer to give our players a place to play high level soccer and how it would be a great place to develop young players. Well, we've got less Canadians on the roster than last year, there are roster spots still open on the DEV squad (which should be filled by young Canucks) and now that we understand how the Academy rules are set up, its pretty clear that its basically a no charge private academy (which is cool) but which offers very little incentive to TFC to develop into something really significant for the future of the club. They talk about expanding the Academy but I'm not sure why they would bother spending the money on it when the players aren't signed to contracts with TFC (unlike the Academy players in the Whitecaps system, who do sign contracts and whose rights are owned by the 'caps for a period of 2-3 years)

I can appreciate the MLS wants to be a MAJOR league. I hope it does become a MAJOR league one day. I suspect that it wont as long as it continues to be THE league supported by the USSF. The priorities of the two organizations are not the same but the MLS would be loathe to lose the status as being the official 1st division of American soccer so I don't imagine the "country of origin" rules will ever become totally relaxed. I wonder if the league will still be able to consider Canadians as foreign players if Canada ever gets 2-3 clubs in the league?

Shakes McQueen
09-22-2008, 03:08 AM
Oh, but you are wrong Scott

MLS IS about showcasing domestic talent. That was its purpose from Day 1 and is the reason why it is the "chosen" league of the USSF.

Believe me, the USSF is not fond of the fact that international spots keep being created, thereby creating less guaranteed spots for players coming up through the various developmental channels that exist. Right now, they bite their tongue because as the league adds clubs, the overall number of spots available to US players really isn't changing much because each new team needs their own domestic talent. However, if the number of overall spots available to US players per roster continues to drop, there will be controversy. The USSF doesn't see MLS becoming a Major league as a big priority. The USSF wants the league to be an incubator for American talent, first and foremost. The rapid improvement of the US national team program is a by product of the MLS' rules that favor American players.

As for Canadians, when TFC was created, they spoke glowingly about how good it would be for Canadian soccer to give our players a place to play high level soccer and how it would be a great place to develop young players. Well, we've got less Canadians on the roster than last year, there are roster spots still open on the DEV squad (which should be filled by young Canucks) and now that we understand how the Academy rules are set up, its pretty clear that its basically a no charge private academy (which is cool) but which offers very little incentive to TFC to develop into something really significant for the future of the club. They talk about expanding the Academy but I'm not sure why they would bother spending the money on it when the players aren't signed to contracts with TFC (unlike the Academy players in the Whitecaps system, who do sign contracts and whose rights are owned by the 'caps for a period of 2-3 years)

I can appreciate the MLS wants to be a MAJOR league. I hope it does become a MAJOR league one day. I suspect that it wont as long as it continues to be THE league supported by the USSF. The priorities of the two organizations are not the same but the MLS would be loathe to lose the status as being the official 1st division of American soccer so I don't imagine the "country of origin" rules will ever become totally relaxed. I wonder if the league will still be able to consider Canadians as foreign players if Canada ever gets 2-3 clubs in the league?

Regardless of the reason why the league was founded, it's pretty clear that Garber is rapidly trying to move it away from it's domestic roots, to a true international league.

Increasing the salary cap, increasing the number of internationals allowed to play, granting a country that isn't under the USSF a franchise, enacting the DP rule, using an English superstar as the focal point of league advertising, and having increasing friendly matches versus foreign clubs.

I suspect you will also see the end of the single entity system within five years, tops. By then, pretty much every club should have their own stadium, and increased revenues. I also think some of the weaker cities (i.e. Columbus), will either decide to hobble along, or fold by then.

- Scott