johnmolinaro
09-18-2008, 02:10 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/09/18/toronto-fc-south-america.html

rocker
09-18-2008, 02:16 PM
canadian DP eh?

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Queue the "Mo is just going on another vacation, fire Mo!" comments. ;)

Boris
09-18-2008, 02:17 PM

i was thinking the same thing

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Don't forget though, Mo doesn't care about Canadians. ;)

nobodybeatsthewiz
09-18-2008, 02:22 PM
finallllllly looking to S. America.

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Finally? You mean after Mo's second trip? :lol: Third trip come November. :p

stoked
09-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Is there even a Canadian willing to come to play here that is worth a DP status. I'd rather have a international player and get the canadians to play for a hometown discount. i.e 300k depending on how much they increase the cap this year.

werewolf
09-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Maybe we are going to get grass and Stalteri is going to come home

Boris
09-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Is there even a Canadian willing to come to play here that is worth a DP status. I'd rather have a international player and get the canadians to play for a hometown discount. i.e 300k depending on how much they increase the cap this year.

hey...you want them...you gotta pay em.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-18-2008, 02:29 PM
all sounds to familiar..with his trips to South america..last season!...Blah..blah..blah.....All it does is make the supporters get excited....so the pressure will be off for now..

I'llbe excited when he brings in some brazilians...ect..ect..when i see it with my own 2 eyes....

surely...with him going to brazil last year...he would of had someone close by now...

anyways!

Nestease
09-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Mo sure does take a liking to those Brazilians once the chill hits Toronto :D

AL-MO
09-18-2008, 02:30 PM
I'll believe it when i see it.

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Maybe we are going to get grass and Stalteri is going to come home

Stalt's for DP? Nah. I'll pass thanks.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-18-2008, 02:33 PM

agreed....

I think..DERO will take 1.5 mill:D

werewolf
09-18-2008, 02:36 PM

I will pass to, but any other Canadian worth paying (outside DeRo) wouldn't come here at this point in their careers.

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Hutch maybe? Not that I'm sure he warrants DP salary, but he's definitely making that much now from what I understand. But really, who wants to leave Champions League football for the MLS? :rofl:

So...

DeRo
Hutchinson
Stalteri
Hume
Friend

Anyone else that could possibly fit that description?

reggie
09-18-2008, 02:42 PM
no thx on paul,how much is julian making in spain?

FluSH
09-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Mo is simply amazing... what better place to vacation and "work" than Rio...

Bunda scouting by Mo! I LOVE IT

werewolf
09-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Issey, maybe Imhof or Klukowski

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Issey, maybe Imhof or Klukowski

Not so set on Issey myself, Imhof might do well. We could definitely use someone like Klukowski to shore up our back line.

wzhxvy
09-18-2008, 02:56 PM
This is classic: "keen to sign some young Brazilian prospects"; " don't think you can take one trip and find someone "; "I'm looking at younger talent, who are between 19 and 21"...

I am glad TFC is financing Mo's personal trips to find the one. I dont think you can take one trip and find someone...uhuh...yup...sure buddy...lol

Now as it pertains to DP, as some of you have said...no way stalts..no freaking way...Friend is not coming here, he needs people who can make a decent cross...Kuslowskli would anchor the back...JDG is a pipe dream...Hutchison maybe...but I like the idea of a Canadian DP...

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 03:04 PM

Mo sure does take a liking to those Brazilians once the chill hits Toronto :D

all sounds to familiar..with his trips to South america..last season!...Blah..blah..blah.....All it does is make the supporters get excited....so the pressure will be off for now..

I'llbe excited when he brings in some brazilians...ect..ect..when i see it with my own 2 eyes....

surely...with him going to brazil last year...he would of had someone close by now...

anyways!

This is classic: "keen to sign some young Brazilian prospects"; " don't think you can take one trip and find someone "; "I'm looking at younger talent, who are between 19 and 21"...

I am glad TFC is financing Mo's personal trips to find the one. I dont think you can take one trip and find someone...uhuh...yup...sure buddy...lol

Now as it pertains to DP, as some of you have said...no way stalts..no freaking way...Friend is not coming here, he needs people who can make a decent cross...Kuslowskli would anchor the back...JDG is a pipe dream...Hutchison maybe...but I like the idea of a Canadian DP...

Man... my accuracy was amazing with that one eh? :rofl:

But seriously. Can you accurately judge talent in one trip? Maybe, can you sign a flop off one trip? Definitely. The more time he spends there, the better he knows the areas, the teams with the top youth systems, the more contacts he develops.

People have been asking for S.A. talent, yet when he does go looking people shit on him for it. :noidea:

DP wise. I agree JDG is out of the question, as is Friend most likely. Hutch maybe, but I still don't see it.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Boys boys boys,
before you get all excited

"Preferably I'd like him to be Canadian," Johnston said.

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 03:11 PM
What's wrong with speculating if he's actively looking at Canadian DP's? ;)

giambac
09-18-2008, 03:18 PM

anyways!

Agreed,

My sources tell me that Mo is just blowing wind. It is part of his job to make it sound like he is looking at all corners of the world for talent. In actual fact he doesn't like Sout American players. Also, he dopesn't have contacts. That's his problem. His only contacts are in Great Britain teritory and thus the reason why those are the only players that he can sign.

I have friends and family in Brazil. They haven't heard of either TFC or the MLS and they have never heard of Mo Johnson. I asked them to inquire with their soccer buddies/fanatics who follow Brazilian soccer like a religion. They say never in a hundred years will Mo be able to bring young Brazilian players here.

wzhxvy
09-18-2008, 03:19 PM
I really think MO needs to get promoted to President and have a full time scouting team working for him...these trips to Brasil must be killing him...

deschamp86
09-18-2008, 03:20 PM
These players would all be worth signing, not necessarily as DPs, but would improve the club. Any other players most likely wouldn't even consider coming over or just aren't good enough.

Occean
Nakajima
Imhof
Hutchinson
Nsaliwa
Hastings
Klukowski
Stalteri

giambac
09-18-2008, 03:21 PM

But seriously. Can you accurately judge talent in one trip? Maybe, can you sign a flop off one trip? Definitely. The more time he spends there, the better he knows the areas, the teams with the top youth systems, the more contacts he develops.

People have been asking for S.A. talent, yet when he does go looking people shit on him for it. :noidea:

DP wise. I agree JDG is out of the question, as is Friend most likely. Hutch maybe, but I still don't see it.

All I know is that he has been scouting talent in Great Britain area for years and has yet to accurately sign any talent. Maybe he should stick to the one trip policy and trust his gut instinct.

werewolf
09-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Agreed,

My sources tell me that Mo is just blowing wind. It is part of his job to make it sound like he is looking at all corners of the world for talent. In actual fact he doesn't like Sout American players. Also, he dopesn't have contacts. That's his problem. His only contacts are in Great Britain teritory and thus the reason why those are the only players that he can sign.

My sources tell me otherwise.

I have friends and family in Brazil. They haven't heard of either TFC or the MLS and they have never heard of Mo Johnson. I asked them to inquire with their soccer buddies/fanatics who follow Brazilian soccer like a religion. They say never in a hundred years will Mo be able to bring young Brazilian players here.

Are your friends and family in football operations of Division 1 clubs?

If FC Dallas can lure Toja, why can't we get a Brazilian?

All I know is that he has been scouting talent in Great Britain area for years and has yet to accurately sign any talent. Maybe he should stick to the one trip policy and trust his gut instinct.

Rohan Ricketts.

Bluenose13
09-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Agreed,

You are simply amazing, you have sources in Europe & sources in Brazil....Amazing :rolleyes:

Dirk Diggler
09-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Seriously ... its quite obvious what they are trying to do. Who amongst us didn't say "horse fuckin crock" when we read the "I guarantee a DP .... maybe two ... next season"? Mo and Carver aren't stupid. They've learned the tricks of the trade over the yeards.

justin
09-18-2008, 03:25 PM
...Kuslowskli would anchor the back...

who?

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 03:25 PM

Rohan Ricketts.

Danny Dichio... Jim Brennan... Carl Robinson...

wzhxvy
09-18-2008, 03:28 PM
I think Mo looks quite handsome in that picture in the article. I hope he finds the right one (brazilian or not) because they will make very pretty babies.

wzhxvy
09-18-2008, 03:28 PM
who?

I am not a spelling wizard sorry ! :-) He was by far the best back Canada had.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Nothing at all, people are talking like its certain.
I personally would love to see a Canadian DP.
Gotta say im amazed that people think that connections with established clubs and players happens immediately, this sorta stuff takes time but will be well worth it.
DCU has had years to work their scouting etc, we've been around for under 2 years...

Marc"2L"
09-18-2008, 03:30 PM

The more brazilian tail he gets to chase....

Mo's probably looking to turn a profit with this, sign a kid, kid blooms into a quality striker....profit.

werewolf
09-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Mo's probably looking to turn a profit with this, sign a kid, kid blooms into a quality striker....profit.

Well obviously. Welcome to MLSE, where winning is secondary!

giambac
09-18-2008, 03:32 PM

Rohan Ricketts.

They are not linke dto the football operations but all are long term season ticket holders with their respective clubs. They know the ins and outs of the club, their top prospects, their younger prospects and the rumours and talks there.

When I contacted them they laughed. " Who is this Mo smuck?, they asked"

As far as signings.
RR is okay, but just okay, maybe abit bettr tahn average. But for crying out loud it's been 2 years and that's the best he can show for it? Did he go to the John Ferguson school of managing and player scouting?

Ossington Mental Youth
09-18-2008, 03:33 PM
You are simply amazing, you have sources in Europe & sources in Brazil

like i said in the next season signings thread, Giambac for DP, Manager and Coach, dude can do it all and has got it all

giambac
09-18-2008, 03:33 PM
You are simply amazing, you have sources in Europe & sources in Brazil....Amazing :rolleyes:

And sources in other places as well:rolleyes:

werewolf
09-18-2008, 03:36 PM
They are not linke dto the football operations but all are long term season ticket holders with their respective clubs. They know the ins and outs of the club, their top prospects, their younger prospects and the rumours and talks there.

So they are essentially the same as us, but in Brazil...

hardly a legitimate source of information for international player transfers...

TFC USA
09-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Wonder which asshole said go to South America and not the English Football Leagues? US TFC something?

For those of you who think England is the way to go for this club, go home. Glad Mo is supposedly getting it now.

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Nothing at all, people are talking like its certain.
I personally would love to see a Canadian DP.
Gotta say im amazed that people think that connections with established clubs and players happens immediately, this sorta stuff takes time but will be well worth it.
DCU has had years to work their scouting etc, we've been around for under 2 years...

They've been working on scouting since before Toronto FC was even a thought on the drawing board.

When I contacted them they laughed. " Who is this Mo smuck?, they asked"

As far as signings.
RR is okay, but just okay, maybe abit bettr tahn average. But for crying out loud it's been 2 years and that's the best he can show for it? Did he go to the John Ferguson school of managing and player scouting?

Long term season ticket holders eh? Great 'in' with the clubs you've got there. We know who our top prospects are, our rumours, our 'ins and outs of the club'. So know anyone that knows us has an 'in' at TFC? Sweet, I'm gonna spread the word!

giambac
09-18-2008, 03:40 PM
like i said in the next season signings thread, Giambac for DP, Manager and Coach, dude can do it all and has got it all

Thanks for the endorsement.

Maybe I'll can my agent and sign you. What's your rate??:)

invictusTFC
09-18-2008, 03:42 PM
My sources tell me that giambac was one of the few hundred players who tried out for TFC in the open tryouts last year. He was cut in the first 30 seconds after he told Tom Anslemi what he thought of MLSE, and has held a grudge against the club and Mo ever since...

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Wonder which asshole said go to South America and not the English Football Leagues? US TFC something?

For those of you who think England is the way to go for this club, go home. Glad Mo is supposedly getting it now.

What? Seriously, what?

Mo was using the contacts he already had to try and create a team from scratch. He's done that and since last summer he's been actively looking for players ever since. Not just in England, despite what the majority thinks. Now Carver has come in and added more English contacts. Of course that's the easy way when you need a quick fix.

Would you lot rather we signed some unknown South American kid... just because he's South American?

You should be glad he's taking his time to look for players that will fit into the squad they are building. Just adding players for the sake of adding players rarely, if ever, works out.

giambac
09-18-2008, 03:46 PM

Hey I'm happy he has finally gotten of the Engalnd train and gone to South America for real talent.

The problem is that Mo is just blowing Smoke. He know's it's what we want to hear but I very much doubt anything will come of it. Down the road he will simply say after his 2nd, 3rd or 4th visit ther just isn't any talent to be found in the greatest soccer nation:eek:. I think Mo thinks we will buy his story and then he will go sign another 40yr old player from his hometown.

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 03:47 PM
^^ Ever thought of becoming a fictional novel writer? I think you have what it takes!

Boris
09-18-2008, 03:51 PM
its not a matter of mo blowing smoke at this time. We all know he talks a lot. The true issue here is certain people with ins at clubs......but hey...my sources tell me otherwise

Boris
09-18-2008, 03:51 PM
^^ Ever thought of becoming a fictional novel writer? I think you have what it takes!

his sources havent told him to do so

TheHollister
09-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Man, I wish I had sources. :(

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 03:53 PM
My source says you'll have a source in due time. ;)

invictusTFC
09-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Due to the salary cap limitations in this league, looking at South America for talent is certainly the way to go. Brazil for example is a player factory and that talent is relatively inexpensive.
The problem with British talent is that the type of player that this team needs will cost far too much and there is no guarantee that they will play here. Ricketts and Robbo were a lucky exception, but they haven't exactly torn this league apart either.

Boris
09-18-2008, 03:54 PM
and as i said earlier, this would be agreat topic for a adult discussion about what to expect, is mo telling us truth or is he just talking as a gm.

BUT, we have people here who come to such interesting conclusions and a thread like this goes to hell....

Boris
09-18-2008, 03:55 PM
My source says you'll have a source in due time. ;)

quick...lets become her sources!;)

Shaughno
^^ Much agreed. Robbo isn't the type of player to exactly.. tear a league apart though. Hardly a measure to judge all players by.

giambac
My sources tell me that giambac was one of the few hundred players who tried out for TFC in the open tryouts last year. He was cut in the first 30 seconds after he told Tom Anslemi what he thought of MLSE, and has held a grudge against the club and Mo ever since...

I didn't tryout ( I problay should have and would have if a knew the lack of skilled players Mo has signed), but let me tell you something,

I've watched alot of soccer from around this city in various leagues. I have also been following TFC since day 1. Believe me when I say this, there is alot of better talent in this city and province than playing for TFC. And you don't have to be a genius, a professional scout or have to travlel half way around the world to realize it. Also I have watched alot of Academy teams in the Greater Toronto area since my son is involved in football. There are more skilled players playing for academy's than the TFC academy. Maybe it is because the TFC academy is relatively new, but never the less they simply aren't the best.

Mo should sign players with skill, passion and who are agressive. Not 35-40yrold lazy bums which he focuses on.

wzhxvy
09-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Ha Ha, this thread is making me laugh out loud at work...

Boris
09-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Due to the salary cap limitations in this league, looking at South America for talent is certainly the way to go. Brazil for example is a player factory and that talent is relatively inexpensive.
The problem with British talent is that the type of player that this team needs will cost far too much and there is no guarantee that they will play here. Ricketts and Robbo were a lucky exception, but they haven't exactly torn this league apart either.

awesome point. The Kids in south america would come at a better price than a kid from England. Kids in south america see it as a chance to go to AMERICA. In that sense, it works out best for us.

TFC07
09-18-2008, 03:59 PM
I wished someone send me to Brazil and do some "scouting" for them.

Oldtimer
09-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Since Mo was blowing smoke about grass, can we trust him about a DP? maybe we should wait for what Anselmi says.

Beach_Red
09-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the endorsement.

Maybe I'll can my agent and sign you. What's your rate??:)

Now, if some of your sources were agents, this might be interesting.

I don't know, I have a feeling Brazilians know a little bit about the business of football and the value of young players with potential.

So, what we have is an english speaking GM from an expansion team not even in an American city in a not well-respected American league.

Yeah, it might take more than one trip....

wzhxvy
09-18-2008, 04:06 PM
I mean cmon people, if you go looking for a house in a foreign country, you hire a real estate agent. I sure hope he has a scout in Brasil who is scouting players for him, and when he visits he sees those specific players...please tell me Mo is not buying walk up tickets and going to random matches in Brasil hoping to find a player...tell me it aint so...

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Mo should sign players with skill, passion and who are agressive. Not 35-40yrold lazy bums which he focuses on.

Sorry for ignoring the first part, I got bored.

35-40 year old lazy bums eh?

Do we have a single 35+ player on our team?

TFC USA
09-18-2008, 04:08 PM
What? Seriously, what?

Mo was using the contacts he already had to try and create a team from scratch. He's done that and since last summer he's been actively looking for players ever since. Not just in England, despite what the majority thinks. Now Carver has come in and added more English contacts. Of course that's the easy way when you need a quick fix.

Would you lot rather we signed some unknown South American kid... just because he's South American?

You should be glad he's taking his time to look for players that will fit into the squad they are building. Just adding players for the sake of adding players rarely, if ever, works out.

Nice fiction work.

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 04:09 PM
I mean cmon people, if you go looking for a house in a foreign country, you hire a real estate agent. I sure hope he has a scout in Brasil who is scouting players for him, and when he visits he sees those specific players...please tell me Mo is not buying walk up tickets and going to random matches in Brasil hoping to find a player...tell me it aint so...

Yes I'm sure that's exactly what he's doing. :rolleyes:

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Nice fiction work.

:rolleyes: Nice addition to the thread.

TFC USA
09-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Sorry for ignoring the first part, I got bored.

35-40 year old lazy bums eh?

Do we have a single 35+ player on our team?

We don't, we have 25-34 year old lazy bums.

But don't tell Shaughno that.

Boris
09-18-2008, 04:12 PM
dont turn this into a pissing contest...if you have something to add to the thread add it...

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Don't worry, I won't. I won't tell him about the other half our team that busts their balls for the majority of the matches either. He wouldn't be interested in that.

Nuvinho
09-18-2008, 04:14 PM
JDG

I think DeRo will get league max, but no DP.

Boris
JDG

I think DeRo will get league max, but no DP.

Thats the only person i could think of. BUT...i wouldnt want to leave Galicia...it would be a hell of a deal

TFC USA
Mo is headed in the right direction. South American talent is relatively inexpensive, going to Europe and especially the British Isles is one of the most expensive markets in the world. And England's style of football lacks any sort of creativity.

Would you prefer to play longball like Carver and Mo or have a Brazilian kid dribble like a seal and pass effectively? And score goals BTW.

TFC USA
09-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Don't worry, I won't. I won't tell him about the other half our team that busts their balls for the majority of the matches either. He wouldn't be interested in that.

Are you John Carver? Some do bust their balls like Wynne, but don't talk about the other half, the WHOLE team should be giving some form of effort. Stiffs like Velez give no effort.

TFC07
09-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Mo is headed in the right direction. South American talent is relatively inexpensive, going to Europe and especially the British Isles is one of the most expensive markets in the world. And England's style of football lacks any sort of creativity.

Would you prefer to play longball like Carver and Mo or have a Brazilian kid dribble like a seal and pass effectively? And score goals BTW.

But it shouldn't take so long though. Mo should have been trying to sign and scout South American players since day one, which he didn't. By the way, whatever happen to our South American scout that TFC hired this season?

Boris
09-18-2008, 04:19 PM
But it shouldn't take so long though. Mo should have been trying to sign and scout South American players since day one, which he didn't. By the way, whatever happen to our South American scout that TFC hired this season?

its a matter of convincing the kids that TORONTO is just as good as any other city in the states. Most of these kids have heard of places like Los Angeles and Houston, but to convince them that Toronto is agood place can prove to be difficult.

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Velez gives no effort? :rofl: Alright, now I've heard it all.

Robbo always plays hard. Wynne always plays hard. Johann Smith has been busting his balls. Brennan always plays hard. Velez, despite his temper tantrums plays hard. Guevara plays as most South American #10's do. Ricketts busts his balls until he loses his legs later in the game. Barrett hustles pretty damn good as well.

Oh wait, I forgot. Nobody busts their balls on TFC.

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 04:21 PM
But it shouldn't take so long though. Mo should have been trying to sign and scout South American players since day one, which he didn't.

Yes, because you can walk into a new country with no contacts and sign any player you want, just because you are a manager/GM.

TFC USA
09-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Yes, because you can walk into a new country with no contacts and sign any player you want, just because you are a manager/GM.

Mo said he's done, you can get out of the bottom of the desk now.

Of course you can't, but hey, Mo is a failed coach and GM, so let's give him more years! I can't wait until we get Teddy Sheringham out of retirement.

It's 2 seasons, and he only targets Europe......how many continents are there?

Look at the TFC staff, and look at the number of players current and past who have played in the British Isles, and see if there is a strange correlation.

TFC07
09-18-2008, 04:28 PM
its a matter of convincing the kids that TORONTO is just as good as any other city in the states. Most of these kids have heard of places like Los Angeles and Houston, but to convince them that Toronto is agood place can prove to be difficult.

Depends what part of South America you're talking about here. (Example, It wouldn't be too hard to sign Chileans and Argentines to play for Toronto compare to getting players from other SA nations) Also keep in mind that some of these players play and live in poor conditions and will do anything to get outta there while making a lot of money. Besides, if Asian clubs can attract South American players, why can’t Toronto do the same?

You're right, but however Mo should at least make some connections over there beginning of last year and then try to sign players there later on.

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Yep, only targets Europe. Brazil's in Europe right? Africa too?

werewolf
09-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Yep, only targets Europe. Brazil's in Europe right? Africa too?

and New Zealand

Boris
09-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Depends what part of South America you're talking about here. (Example, It wouldn't be too hard to sign Chileans and Argentines to play for Toronto compare to getting players from other SA nations) Also keep in mind that some of these players play and live in poor conditions and will do anything to get outta there while making a lot of money. Besides, if Asian clubs can attract South American players, why can’t Toronto do the same?

You're right, but however did Mo should at least made some connections over there beginning of last year and then try to sign players there later on.

true...you bring a good point with the asian reference.
I just think that they might be looking for that next IT kid...a child prodigy of sorts:noidea:

Boris
09-18-2008, 04:30 PM

......not needed here!

Jack
09-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Seriously, I'm so glad we have these reliable sources to tell us these things.

Do you realize the size of Brazil, giambac? The fact that there are several leagues? The fact that the country has close to 200 million people. Could it be possible that your "sources" might have missed something?

Anyway, I see scouting in Latin America as a positive step. It means we're beginning to establish connections there. Beginning. That's the key word. It seems like some people want Mo to just head down there and flash the chequebook and the Brazilians will come stampeding north to win the prestigious MLS Cup in Toronto, the football mecca.

If only it were so easy.

Anyway, if one or even two good players come out of 10 trips to Brazil, it will have been worth it. If none come, at least we know they're looking in the right place and establishing the precedent that Toronto is an option. The more you do that, the more likely it is that the pipeline will eventually open. Look at what DC United has been able to do by slowly establishing itself as a viable destination for these players.

Also, if we sign a Canadian as DP, it will be DeRo. You can take that to the bank.

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 04:33 PM

You're right, but however did Mo should at least made some connections over there beginning of last year and then try to sign players there later on.

Right, just because the kids want to get out doesn't necessarily mean they are worth bringing over though either. As for J-League, I don't know how they do it but they must have damn good connections in brazil because there are a crazy amount of Brazilians in the J-League. Which also has a better reputation world wide than the MLS does.

He states in the article that he made connections. His first trip to Brazil was around this time last year was it not? So a year later he goes to check up on things, and he stated he's going back. Two trips that close together leads me to believe that he's got someone or a few people in mind.

wzhxvy
09-18-2008, 04:33 PM
^ lol cmon man ! (in reference to Br's child prodigy comment :-) )

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 04:35 PM

Big man with the internet cracks. Can't keep a reasonable discussion? Or just can't figure out anything new to say about Mo and Carver? :rolleyes:

Jack
09-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Right, just because the kids want to get out doesn't necessarily mean they are worth bringing over though either. As for J-League, I don't know how they do it but they must have damn good connections in brazil because there are a crazy amount of Brazilians in the J-League. Which also has a better reputation world wide than the MLS does.

He states in the article that he made connections. His first trip to Brazil was around this time last year was it not? So a year later he goes to check up on things, and he stated he's going back. Two trips that close together leads me to believe that he's got someone or a few people in mind.

There's a large Japanese community in Latin America and in Brazil, so the connection does exist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese-Brazilian

1.5 Million. Just a bit bigger than the Canadian-Brazilian population, methinks.

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Well that makes plenty of sense then. :p

Ossington Mental Youth
09-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Biggest diaspora of Japanese outside of Japan is in Peru but there are alot in Brazil

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 04:39 PM
^^ According to that wiki link... 1.5 million japanese-brasilians in brasil and 300k in japan

wzhxvy
09-18-2008, 04:40 PM
There's a large Japanese community in Latin America and in Brazil, so the connection does exist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese-Brazilian

1.5 Million. Just a bit bigger than the Canadian-Brazilian population, methinks.

Jack, based on what I know (my sources lol), Dero is not a DP right now. I sure hope we dont overpay and make him a DP so he comes here. Lets pay DP money for a DP.

Jack
09-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Biggest diaspora of Japanese outside of Japan is in Peru but there are alot in Brazil
As I said, 1.5 Million Brazilians of Japanese descent.:o

Also, TFC07, explain why you think it would be easier to sign players from those countries you mentioned. Why would it be so? Do you know this for a fact or are you just theorizing?

Chile has a pretty solid economy now and is one of the stronger nations, economically-speaking in Latin America. Argentineans would go to the Mexican league before they'd come to MLS, and that's after they've gone to Europe. Then you've got Japan and several other places where they'd likely play. We're going to be getting the leftovers of that. It's not as easy as it sounds, especially when we have no history or reputation.

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Jack, based on what I know (my sources lol), Dero is not a DP right now. I sure hope we dont overpay and make him a DP so he comes here. Lets pay DP money for a DP.

He's not a DP as it stands. He is however a critical part of the reason Houston has won the past two MLS Cups, two time MLS MVP and two time MLS goal of the year. Someone trying to pull him away from Houston may have to offer him something significant, but I don't think we would to be honest.

Jack
09-18-2008, 04:42 PM
He's not a DP as it stands. He is however a critical part of the reason Houston has won the past two MLS Cups, two time MLS MVP and two time MLS goal of the year. Someone trying to pull him away from Houston may have to offer him something significant, but I don't think we would to be honest.
Mo really likes DeRo as a player.

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Any coach in this league should. He is arguably the most important player to his team.

Jack
09-18-2008, 04:44 PM

There are a lot more Japanese-Brazilians than Japanese-Peruvians.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Peruvian

People forget the size of Brazil. It's a huge country, both in area and in population.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Go figure, fucking Uni lied, HA

Edit: Please note i havent been in Uni in some years.
Quite a few years.

werewolf
09-18-2008, 04:46 PM
so its time Canada closes its borders to all non-footballing nations! Leave immigration space for Brazil, Spain, Germany, Italy etc. It is in the best interests of TFC after all.

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 04:47 PM
^^ This man is on the right track! Hire him TFC!

Ossington Mental Youth
09-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Spose it could have been the case at one point in time
Seem probable because former President of Peru's last name Fujimori
Alberto Fujimori

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Oooh Albertooo :rofl: Wow childhood commercial flashback.

wzhxvy
09-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Mo for Minister of Immigration ! Go Mo !

Ossington Mental Youth
09-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Brazilian-Japanese also might explain Paulo Nagamura

Jack
09-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Spose it could have been the case at one point in time
Seem probable because former President of Peru's last name Fujimori
Alberto Fujimori

It's the more well-known case of a large Japanese population, probably because of Fujimori, but I doubt that the 1.5 Million in Brazil grew up in the past 10 years to surpass the 170,000 in Peru (could be, but seems unlikely). The reporting and census methods could have changed in Brazil in order to better reflect the ethnic makeup of the country.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-18-2008, 04:53 PM
It's the more well-known case of a large Japanese population, probably because of Fujimori, but I doubt that the 1.5 Million in Brazil grew up in the past 10 years to surpass the 170,000 in Peru (could be, but seems unlikely). The reporting and census methods could have changed in Brazil in order to better reflect the ethnic makeup of the country.

You, sir, could be on to something

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Brazilian-Japanese also might explain Paulo Nagamura

:rofl: so true. Can we get him back?

werewolf
09-18-2008, 04:54 PM
also Peru has a significantly lower population, might be percentages.

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Look out, Mr. Smarts is here. :lol: Calm down Tony, we don't need no trouble.

Pigfynn
09-18-2008, 04:56 PM
It's threads like these that send more and more members into self imposed "members lounge" exile :)

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 04:59 PM
:rofl: and others... well it just gets us through the day. :lol:

Pigfynn
09-18-2008, 05:01 PM
:rofl: and others... well it just gets us through the day. :lol:

I'm sure your boss would love to hear that one Jay :eek:

Seriously though....

Some of the guys on here are just ignorant fucktards!:D

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 05:04 PM
So true... wait a minute! :rofl: Fuck you asshole.

OneLoveOneEric
09-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Am I the only one around that doesn't think there's a Canadian player that exists that worthy of DP money?
I'd love DeRo, but not as a DP.
Stalteri isn't DP-worthy, and neither's Friend, IMO.
I'd love to see one of these guys signed, but certainly not as DP.

Pigfynn
09-18-2008, 05:06 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Am I the only one around that doesn't think there's a Canadian player that exists that worthy of DP money?
I'd love DeRo, but not as a DP.
Stalteri isn't DP-worthy, and neither's Friend, IMO.
I'd love to see one of these guys signed, but certainly not as DP.

Well, there is if you really think about it. :lol: Three that I can think of. Two of them are brothers and the other one.. well he played yesterday for some team in Manchester but I can't remember his name... :rofl:

OneLoveOneEric
09-18-2008, 05:08 PM
^^LOL... I didn't include Hargo, who's the obvious choice.
But, in seriousness, I think it's next to impossible that either of the brothers you mention would play here....

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 05:09 PM
OLOE I wholeheartedly agree. :lol:

Pigfynn
09-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Well, there is if you really think about it. :lol: Three that I can think of. Two of them are brothers and the other one.. well he played yesterday for some team in Manchester but I can't remember his name... :rofl:

I know he's about as English as I am.

werewolf
09-18-2008, 05:11 PM

Martin Nash, Steve Nash and Asmir Begovic?

I agree, I would take any of those 3 on TFC. :canada:

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Martin Nash, Steve Nash and Asmir Begovic?

I agree, I would take any of those 3 on TFC. :canada:

Sign-em up! Well, not Martin. He can lick Vancouvers balls.

wzhxvy
09-18-2008, 05:14 PM
This thread has lost all its integrity...I am outraged.

Maple Leaf Red
09-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Congratulations to Shaugno for having the intestinal fortitude to tire out the trolls. I don't know how you do it except to think that maybe you can still see your post count ;)

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 05:15 PM
File a complaint, I hear it works wonders. ;) :lol:

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Congratulations to Shaugno for having the intestinal fortitude to tire out the trolls. I don't know how you do it except to think that maybe you can still see your post count ;)

:D If someone doesn't, they'll run amuck!

Post count? Don't think I can, but couldn't be bothered to be honest. Feels like a Friday to me... so I used my time wisely. ;)

Boris
09-18-2008, 05:21 PM
^ lol cmon man ! (in reference to Br's child prodigy comment :-) )

it was meant as a joke... lol

TheHollister
09-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Threads like these put comedy tv to shame. :lol:

And no, I have nothing of value to add to this thread (my player knowledge sucks:o) other than, gee, I hope we sign someone soon.

rocker
09-18-2008, 05:29 PM
:D If someone doesn't, they'll run amuck!

just use the handy "ignore" feature... I have 5 people in there... can you guess who?

David_Oliveira
09-18-2008, 05:35 PM
I really hope we don't get anymore Canadians. We're already fucked as it is when it comes time for Canada games. Thats all we need. Get a Canadian DP that will be getting called up for Canada games. As much as I want Canadian talent, there has got to be another way.

I would ABSOLUTELY HATE DeRo for DP!! That would be the worst signing ever! He is not worth DP money IMO. League Max? Sure. Sign him for what Robbo makes. Fullout deserves 300k. But no on DeRo for DP

Shaughno
09-18-2008, 05:56 PM
just use the handy "ignore" feature... I have 5 people in there... can you guess who?

I only have one at the moment. I always find it funny to see people have conversations and not realize why it seems like they are talking to themselves :lol:

I really hope we don't get anymore Canadians. We're already fucked as it is when it comes time for Canada games. Thats all we need. Get a Canadian DP that will be getting called up for Canada games. As much as I want Canadian talent, there has got to be another way.

I would ABSOLUTELY HATE DeRo for DP!! That would be the worst signing ever! He is not worth DP money IMO. League Max? Sure. Sign him for what Robbo makes. Fullout deserves 300k. But no on DeRo for DP

I agree for sure about DeRo.

reggie
09-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Since Mo was blowing smoke about grass, can we trust him about a DP? maybe we should wait for what Anselmi says.
i think mo is smoking the grass.........

jloome
09-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Olivier Occean? He had a dry spell last year and got relegated to the bench after scoring something like 30 goals in his first 50 games. He's on 885,000 euros a season, and so he'd likely get a small raise as a dp. He's good both in the air and on the ground.

Makes more sense to me than Dero who playthe same position as Guevara.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-18-2008, 09:25 PM

No we are still waiting on one to come throw the youth system and that may take years. A South American would be good to have add a bit more Int'l flavor to the team.

Keyman
09-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Whoa, just read. Good news on Mo scouting in South America, I wouldn't be surprised if he is starting to plant some solid contacts down there. He's been to South Americam, what? Three times now? Very happy with that news. There are multiple young players who are very talented playing in Argentina, Brazil, and acorss the continent. We'll find someone.

As for the DP, I'm sticking with Hutch. I know people don't agree with me, but whatever. I'm going to try to interview him soon, so maybe he'll let something slip :D

Stalteri, I could see. Occean, I could also see.

Roogsy
09-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Why does this article sound familiar?

Oh yeah...because we read something similar last year.

I will believe it when I see it.

nascarguy
09-18-2008, 11:38 PM
why is it poeple want more canadian player on this team want mo is trying to get the mls to give us more international and us spots. all the good canadian are sign to very good team.

werewolf
09-18-2008, 11:43 PM
If we weren't going to give Ali Gerba near the max. why in the name of Andy Welsh are we going to make Occean a DP?

Pachuco
09-18-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm not reading this entire thread so sorry if someone already said this.

Feels like the beginning of the offseason doesn't it? Mo going to south america and guaranteeing a DP :) haven't we heard all this before?

by the way, if we are giving a Canadian DP salary he's overpaid, unless it's DeGuzman of course.

nascarguy
09-18-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm not reading this entire thread so sorry if someone already said this.

Feels like the beginning of the offseason doesn't it? Mo going to south america and guaranteeing a DP :) haven't we heard all this before?

by the way, if we are giving a Canadian DP salary he's overpaid, unless it's DeGuzman of course.
yeah I'm with you but i can not see DeGuzman coming in to the mls when he wants to play in the EPL.

jloome
09-19-2008, 12:24 AM
If we weren't going to give Ali Gerba near the max. why in the name of Andy Welsh are we going to make Occean a DP?

Yeah, I suppose. He was seen as having a hell of a future at one pt, though, good enough that English clubs at the prem and Championship level were interested. He has a similar goal scoring record (gerba has 50-odd in 160-odd games, occean has 40-some in 110 some games) but has substantially better tools than Gerba: fast, good with the ball at his feet and creating his own chances, very good in the air. I don't think Gerba's ever been considered on that level and he's certainly not making the 880,000 euros that Lillestrom's paying Occean.

werewolf
09-19-2008, 12:41 AM
I may be over critical based on national team games, where Occean is crap, and Gerba can't stop scoring lately. Sure Occean is scoring in Norway...but it is Norway...

Rather have DeRo.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 07:34 AM
I dunno, i think id rather have Occean an all out striker as opposed to De Ro who plays great as a striker but prefers the Attacking mid position...

Shaughno
09-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Let's have both! :D

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Let's have both! :D

Sigh, yeah, maybe they will split a DP?

ua-kozak_TFC
09-19-2008, 09:37 AM
guys don;t get your hopes up with this Brazil thing.. His girlfriend probably wants a boob job, to match the the brazilian ass she got last december...

TFC07
09-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Why does this article sound familiar?

Oh yeah...because we read something similar last year.

I will believe it when I see it.

Feels like the beginning of the offseason doesn't it? Mo going to south america and guaranteeing a DP haven't we heard all this before?

Bingo.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Dont remember him guaranteeing us a DP last year.
Please link source

TFC07
09-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Dont remember him guaranteeing us a DP last year.
Please link source

He mention of getting a DP during an interview on theScore in the last off-season.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-19-2008, 01:16 PM
getting and guaranteeing are two different things

ricciboy
09-22-2008, 10:35 PM
iim happy they are now looknig down south