PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Thursday , Sept.18

denime
09-18-2008, 05:59 AM
Natural grass 'not hot on radar' for BMO Field

MORGAN CAMPBELL
Last February, midfielder Ronnie O'Brien forced a trade from Toronto FC because his creaky right knee couldn't withstand daily practices on BMO Field's synthetic turf.
In July, Darren Huckerby turned down TFC's contract offer, admitting the prospect of practising at BMO influenced his decision.
TFC officials say they're happy with the field turf, but players and fans prefer grass, and several national team members have said they prefer grass at Montreal's Saputo Stadium to BMO Field's turf.
Last month, TFC director of soccer Mo Johnston hinted the team might put the $2.8 million it netted from its transfer of Maurice Edu towards a grass field.

Read More (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/501277)

Nana steps up training
Defender hopes to be back soon

Toronto FC defender Nana Attakora-Gyan hopes to return to full training early next week. The 19 year old has missed the last four games with a slight knee cartilage tear.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080917&content_id=188662&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Impact beat Joe Public FC
BILL BEACON

MONTREAL — Stefano Pesoli and Tony Donatelli scored as the Montreal Impact opened the group stage of the CONCACAF Champions League with a 2-0 victory over Joe Public FC of Trinidad and Tobago on Wednesday night.
Only 7,631 turned out to 13,000-seat Saputo Stadium on a cold, windy, rainy night on which the United Soccer Leagues club jumped on a porous Joe Public defence for a clear win over the two-time Trinidad league champions.
Leonardo Di Lorenzo hit a corner kick to the far post, where Donatelli headed the ball back to the centre for Pesoli. The Italian defender slid to his right and hit a low shot inside the right post to take the lead in the 14th minute.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080917.wspt_impact17/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Oldtimer
09-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Last month, TFC director of soccer Mo Johnston hinted the team might put the $2.8 million it netted from its transfer of Maurice Edu towards a grass field.

TFC chief operating officer Tom Anselmi said a new playing surface isn't a priority for the club this year.
"It's not something that's hot on the radar," he said. "It's something we've thought about only because we're asked the question."

Mo was talking through his hat again!
I think that we can't trust him any more than the teams that get his "deals" (Edu worth $5 million anyone?).

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-18-2008, 08:14 AM
MLSE, suck it up and build another fake field with a f*cking bubbe!!!!!!! Sooner rather than later, people are going to get fed up with only being able to sign third-rate players.

flatpicker
09-18-2008, 08:28 AM
it sure would be nice to get some direct answers from the FO instead of feeding us what we want to hear!

bgnewf
09-18-2008, 08:40 AM
I think we all need to realize here folks that the front office are a pack of liars. On one hand they talk up the possibility of grass in the press before season ticket renewals go out and then we hear from the city today that the club has in no way at all done anything to even investigate getting grass installed.

This is an absolute disgrace. Anselmi and Mo should be tarred and feathered. They are liars plain and simple. Perhaps we can use the Mo Edu transfer money to improve the team, by giving severence packages to both of them.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Only 7,631 turned out to 13,000-seat Saputo Stadium on a cold, windy, rainy night ....what a f'n disgrace!!!

MLS...they dont f'in derseve SHITE!

Technorgasm
09-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Pantalone said he'd consider the idea (of renovating lamport to install a bubble) if a third party, say, MLSE, offered to pay, but insists the city won't fund a new field at BMO if the current one suits the city's needs.

"We can't direct money we don't have to something that's nice, but not fundamental to playing soccer," Pantalone said. "It's a nice thing to do, but who's going to pay for it?"

What would that cost? say 1 million?

25,000 fans x $40 = 1 million

2000 Supporters x $250 = $500,000 + MLSE $500,000 = $1,000,000

15,000 season ticket holders x $50 = $750,000 + MLSE $250,000 = REAL GRASS SURFACE AT BMO

If it was a serious initiative, it could be done. . . IF LAMPORT is suitable to meet the city's contract needs.

Beach_Red
09-18-2008, 08:56 AM
This is an absolute disgrace. Anselmi and Mo should be tarred and feathered. They are liars plain and simple. Perhaps we can use the Mo Edu transfer money to improve the team, by giving severence packages to both of them.

Is it possible there's a fight going on in the front office, that they don't all agree?

Let's face it, if Mo gets fired the only people who'll get hired after him will be nothing but yes-men, guys who will never say the word 'grass' out loud.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-18-2008, 09:09 AM
But it's still not probable in the short term.

In the short term meaning the next couple months or so, thats not to say it wont happen in the next year. It is a bit dismaying but grass is not completely out of thepicture. It does sound like everyone has been talking alot of shit tho (ie Mo, Mayor). That doesnt mean that Mo didnt approach the FO about it. It could mean the FO has ignored him and not prioritized it.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-18-2008, 09:09 AM
regardless its a bit frustrating.

Chewy Unikronik
09-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Pantalone ruled out erecting a bubble at Lamport Stadium, saying it would need extensive renovation to suit a BMO-style bubble.
Can someone please explain to me what the FUCK this means? When is a bubble not a bubble? Reeediculous...

They have them for tennis, golf ranges and soccer/football fields. So what, BMO has it's own proprietary bubble? Fuck off!

And wouldn't "extensive renovations" to an existing facility be a hell of a lot cheaper than building a brand new one???

This is getting silly now...

Technorgasm
09-18-2008, 09:22 AM
thanks to the GRASS AT BMO issue. . .

we all have Nicotine stains on our cakers from having so much smoke blown up them.

WALK ON

Fort York Redcoat
09-18-2008, 09:27 AM
The fact that the FO didn't even throw us the proverbial bone is just bad business.

Batman
09-18-2008, 09:28 AM
WTF can't the BMO bubble be used for Lamport.

Are the fields approx. the same size?

It seems Pantload left the door open for MLSE to get this done if they pay for it.
And the mayor is in favour.

So why is Anselme putting the idea down. $$$?

MLSE it's time to get on this for the team and the fan's sake.

With all the money the fans have already put out, the money BMO provided for the naming rights, and the money for Edu, it is definitely time for MLSE to GET THIS DONE The ball is totally in their court now!

JDG
09-18-2008, 09:57 AM
It's not about Lamport not being suitable for a bubble. If they use Lamport for a year round facilty, the city will not be "up" 1 facility anymore.
By agreeing to fund BMO, the various levels of Gov't were adding a year round facility for the community.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-18-2008, 10:03 AM
GOtta say i agree with Batman, it is up to MLSE to force the issue now

Toronto Ruffrider
09-18-2008, 10:15 AM
^ The ball is in MLSE's court. The Mayor is on board, and it appears that the only obstacle standing in the way right now is money. MLSE, look at the long term, not just your short-term wallets. Invest money in grass now to insure that you have a team that's good enough to win in MLS.

Niall
09-18-2008, 10:15 AM
They did just spend 40 million more on the ACC...really need them to filter it down to the footy fans.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Hockey/article/497473

Oldtimer
09-18-2008, 10:27 AM
I'm pretty angry about this.

denime
09-18-2008, 10:37 AM
It is not just put the bubble at Lamport at that's it.How you going to heat the bubble during a long Canadian winter.If you were in bubble lats winter than you guys probably noticed that heating a bubble was from one corner and it was underground heaters blowing a hot air in.That has to be installed first including change room and all other things needed to be a year around facility.It would be cheaper to renovate Lamport than build new one that's for sure,but someone has to pay,and you need time to get that construction going.If we are lucky we might get grass when they decide to do Stadium expansion since,during that bubble want be installed anyway,will see what si going to happen.
MLSE it's up to you now!

Parkdale
09-18-2008, 10:49 AM
It's always been up to MLSE to make it happen.
I know they tried to pay for lamports reno before it happened
and the plan was to use that for their civic obligation.
The city said 'Why have one when we currently have two'.

bgnewf
09-18-2008, 11:03 AM
All I want is the truth from the Front Office. Is the talk about grass a real intention of the team or are they just blowing smoke?? To me it comes down to making sure that people renew for 2009, the truth be damned.

I just cannot accept that Mo Johnston is out there in the media hinting at grass being installed while in no way shape or form has the team talked to the stadium owner about it in any way. I cannot accept that the Director of Soccer would not be aware that the team has not approached the city about this. I do not buy that Anselmi would hang him out to dry like this by stating that the team has not started the ball rolling with the City on getting grass installed.

If Mo was aware of the situation with the City then he is a fucking liar and should be fired or should do the honourable thing and quit. Lying to the supporters about something that Anselmi overtly said is not in the plans right now is absolutely disgraceful.

Fuck you Mo!

S_D
09-18-2008, 11:33 AM
I knew this was coming. The last news conference they mentioned spending the money on a new training facility but didn't mention grass. I thought at the time it may have been an omission, but still assumed the worst. :D

What I find more concerning is no grass limits the potential of a quality DP for next season. Whether or not it is legitimate concern or not there will always be a certain group of players who will refuse to play on the turf.

And if they do decide to go for grass, there is a limited time to be able to get it done, especially if they decide on the grassmaster product. 6-8 weeks is a long time when the team still has a couple of games to play at home this season. And I can't see it getting done next season as the pitch has to be used for games and training sessions. It is hard to grow grass in February.

BuSaPuNk
09-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Hey MLSE get this done!! You have already pissed off alot of leaf fans don't lose us as well.

Angelo1405
09-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Only 7,631 turned out to 13,000-seat Saputo Stadium on a cold, windy, rainy night ....what a f'n disgrace!!!

DC attracted 6,000 for their game. and that was against a very popular Costa Rica club...

Parkdale
09-18-2008, 11:38 AM
What I find more concerning is no grass limits the potential of a quality DP for next season. Whether or not it is legitimate concern or not there will always be a certain group of players who will refuse to play on the turf.

there is turf in this league, so if a DP has a zero-turf-policy, they should avoid the MLS. The issue (in my mind) for players is that there's no grass practice facility. You can play on the turf once or twice a week and it's no big deal, but to be out there every day... you might as well start wearing cross trainers instead of cleats.

Beach_Red
09-18-2008, 11:42 AM
I just cannot accept that Mo Johnston is out there in the media hinting at grass being installed while in no way shape or form has the team talked to the stadium owner about it in any way. I cannot accept that the Director of Soccer would not be aware that the team has not approached the city about this. I do not buy that Anselmi would hang him out to dry like this by stating that the team has not started the ball rolling with the City on getting grass installed.

Wait, you can't believe a suit at MLSE hung out a lower level employee to take the heat?

We're all pissed about this, but it is up to MLSE - at the highest levels - to get this done.

It's easy to see when the manager was hired he gave a long list of things to MLSE that would be required to build a real organization and they said, yeah, well, soccer has always failed in this city, so we won't go all out right away. This is a city that lives and dies by fads and this could be a fad.

My fear is that people are giving MLSE an easy out. They'll fire Mo, that'll make a lot of fans happy and buy them two or three years with another manager trying to talk them into grass. (and you can be sure at the interview they'll tell the new guy, don't talk to us about spending money, and it'll be some guy so desperate for a job he'll agree to anything - because who else would take the job now?)

You need to address the issue - the turf. You need to address the people that can make it happen - MLSE.

v00d00daddy
09-18-2008, 12:13 PM

And we pack BMO with 20k strong every game and TFC lose 80% of the time. I'd say that's a disgrace too.

Montreal would be a great rival for TFC and they might even improve public opinion about soccer in Canada. They actually win games from time to time.

It should have been TFC beating Joe Public on a cold, windy, rainy night in front of 20000 fans.

Misdirected hostility is all you have friend.

Gobi
09-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Paul B, please get on this STAT. It's getting embarrassing.

Redcoe15
09-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Deep, deep down, weren't we all not surprised by the news of no grass at BMO Field? :)

:banghead:

Batman
09-18-2008, 04:29 PM
All I want is the truth from the Front Office. Is the talk about grass a real intention of the team or are they just blowing smoke?? To me it comes down to making sure that people renew for 2009, the truth be damned.

If Mo was aware of the situation with the City then he is a fucking liar and should be fired or should do the honourable thing and quit. Lying to the supporters about something that Anselmi overtly said is not in the plans right now is absolutely disgraceful.

Fuck you Mo!

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Per Miller and Pantalone, if TFC/MLSE ponies up the cash to do the turf and retrofit Lamport, both the city and CNE seem to be ok with it.:hump: That's the good news. I think we can take the city and CNE out of the equation.

The way I see it, however, is that the disconnect is completely within TFC/MLSE.
Mo says one thing, Anselme another.
Who's telling the truth. What are the facts?:noidea:

It seems like a clear statement from MLSE/TFC is in order at the very least.

MFG1
09-18-2008, 05:32 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha,

people,people,people shanangins like this will continue to happen for years to come I think, What if the used Edu's money as a part of that new scoreboard over at the ACC? How does that make you feel? Talk about putting perfume on a pig

MG42
09-18-2008, 05:35 PM
bye bye dreams of DeRo....

S_D
09-18-2008, 06:23 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha,

people,people,people shanangins like this will continue to happen for years to come I think, What if the used Edu's money as a part of that new scoreboard over at the ACC? How does that make you feel? Talk about putting perfume on a pig

Haha well they can't do that. It is mandated by MLS that the cash MUST to be used by TFC for football infrastructure.

But as the previous poster said there does certainly seem a disconnect between Anselmi and Mo. And unfortunately Anselmi is the MLSE suit not TFC suit so he will always win. Maybe Mo should offer to buy some Marlies tickets so he can get the go ahead to get grass for BMO field. :D

rocktml
09-18-2008, 06:38 PM
What is up with the SUNSHINE Girl????

rocker
09-18-2008, 07:07 PM
What is up with the SUNSHINE Girl????

i think it's a tranny

kdzb
09-18-2008, 07:08 PM
It's always been up to MLSE to make it happen.
I know they tried to pay for lamports reno before it happened
and the plan was to use that for their civic obligation.
The city said 'Why have one when we currently have two'.

I believe it's time for the Supporters group's representatives to pay a visit to MLSE front office and expose the problem to them in writing and get an answer/promise in writing from them.
If they want us to continue to support this team then they have to respect us.
In the Football Factory documentaries one day there was an episode about the supporter groups in Argentina and there was one sentence that one suporter group representative said that marked me a lot. He said:
"Managers and players comes and go to this Club but a fan is a fan forever"
This is exactly what we have to show this bunch of lazy money suckers.
We are the ones that will support this club for decades not them and they should listen to our voice.
If we are organized they will listen, If we just talk in this board but do nothing than they will not do anything. Period.

Batman
09-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Kdzb,
That's a great quote. It's going into my signature immediately.