PDA

View Full Version : MLS allstar game should it go?

nascarguy
09-17-2008, 11:02 PM
hi everyone sould the mls stop have the all star game , or sould mls just move it to the end if the season and have it after the mls cup?

nfitz
09-18-2008, 03:08 AM
Given that they already have to schedule matches on FIFA international days, it seems a waste to loose a good weekend.

Perhaps they should schedule the Allstar game on a FIFA international day.

Cashcleaner
09-18-2008, 03:40 AM
We should keep the All-Star game, but change the format. I really don't like sending all of our best players up against one big European club. That makes us look kinda bush league, especially when you consider how little regard the opposing teams have for the match.

What we should do is have competition between the conferences again, or just two teams made up of players from all over the league regardless of club or conference.

Of course, I believe that in order for fans to get into the game, the players need motivation to win. What's the best motivation? Cold hard cash. I say give the players a sizable bonus for playing in the match and have at it.

If I was in charge of scheduling, I'd drop all the friendlies except for during the preseason and put the All-Star Game right in the middle of the schedule to divide the season in half. Futhermore, I'd throw in a couple skills competitions as well. Nothing too serious, but just fun like the homerun derby in baseball or something like that.

Oldtimer
09-18-2008, 05:50 AM
Why is this in the "news" section?

jabbronies
09-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Kill it. I think it's a waste of time and IMO it doesn't do anything for the leagues image. I mean, c'mon, how do you compare a league of in season all stars against a team that is out of season and probably not playing all its players.

It gives big european teams the chance to come over here, scout our top players and then take them away from us.

Fort York Redcoat
09-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Kill it. I think it's a waste of time and IMO it doesn't do anything for the leagues image. I mean, c'mon, how do you compare a league of in season all stars against a team that is out of season and probably not playing all its players.

It gives big european teams the chance to come over here, scout our top players and then take them away from us.

Agreed.

Except when I think of the good exposure (one team at a time) when they scout our best players. I don't look at that as a bad thing. It grows the reputation of the league. Still, i think that international competitions do far more good in this aspect.

Scrap it. Mickey Mouse friendly.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-18-2008, 09:11 AM
I think with the Rivalry between the US and MEXICO in football......MLS should lean towards....a MLS ALLSTAR TEAM vs THE MEXICAN LEAGUE ALLSTARS.....Switching locations back and forth between the countries....i think it would make for a much more intence game...as league pride would be on the line!

flatpicker
09-18-2008, 09:15 AM
I like the way MLB does it with awarding home field advantage to the winning league for the World Series.

That wouldn't apply here obviously unless they change the Cup format and make the two divisions more divided.

But it would be nice to see it mean something more.

jaahuuu
09-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Scrap the foreign opponants, preferrably have the game US/Canadian versus foreign players, move the game to after the MLS Cup and play it in a warm location, then use the day/weekend of the ASG to play regular season games, which would open up at least 1 FIFA date.

TFC07
09-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Yes, MLS should ditch the all-star game. We already got plenty of games to play in MLS (30 games) and games in other tournaments (US open/CDN championship, Superliga, CONCACAF champions league)

LucaGol
09-19-2008, 12:12 PM
All-star games are stupid.

That's my highly-articulated verbose response.

Its just one more North American invention, created to stir up artificial fan interest.

And secondly, yes ... if we're playing games on FIFA days ... why are we wasting this chance to play games.

Damien
09-19-2008, 12:17 PM
I think with the Rivalry between the US and MEXICO in football......MLS should lean towards....a MLS ALLSTAR TEAM vs THE MEXICAN LEAGUE ALLSTARS.....Switching locations back and forth between the countries....i think it would make for a much more intence game...as league pride would be on the line!

I'd go to that!

bee dubya
09-19-2008, 03:16 PM
1. Why is this in the "News" section?
2. Should we save these sort of topics for the very long MLS off-season? :)

RPB_Brantford_08
09-19-2008, 05:45 PM
The All Star game should be All Stars vs MLS Champions at the champions own ground.