PDA

View Full Version : Why are so many teams signing USL-1/USL-2 Players

ccopela
09-17-2008, 06:58 PM
I think New York, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas and LA have all signed at least 1 USL player in the past week. I don't remember this happening much last year. Is this normal? or are USL teams much more skilled this year?

Cashcleaner
09-17-2008, 07:03 PM
I know the answer. It's because contrary to what many self-proclaimed experts here believe, many players in the USL are at a similar level of talent as those in MLS, and we're actually not "miles ahead" of the lower tier with that regard.

Roogsy
09-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Many have highlighted how the difference between the average MLS player and the average USL player really isn't that different.

And with expansion, the limited availability of players means the dilution of overall skill.

redcard
09-17-2008, 07:05 PM
also i guess they dont demand as much in salary...works for a league under a small cap...this way to have some good big money players, with some cheap players to fill in the gap

gtaguy
09-17-2008, 07:09 PM
with USL bieng a more established league i can only think that a players coming out of that league would be more prepared for a chance in the MLS .. Its obvious that within time usl will be the picking grounds for future mls stars...

IMO

Cashcleaner
09-17-2008, 07:16 PM
^ I actually think we'll see a partnership with USL and MLS akin to that between the NHL and AHL. I don't think we'll have formal affiliation between clubs, but perhaps between the leagues instead.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Cheap, usually dont take up a International slot and theres alot of hidden talent there, basically the international slot thing fucks us

LucaGol
09-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Well the Red Bulls just signed Matthew Mbuta and loaned Macoumba Kandji.

From the 2 times I saw each of them ... I'd say they did extremely well for themselves.

Good smart acquisitions by NYRB.

Africa man ... its the new footballing frontier. Get some while the getting's good. Skillful, powerful, willing and intelligent players are there for the taking.

ccopela
09-17-2008, 10:55 PM
In any case this high number of signings from USL is good for USL teams. Means that they might be able to use their league for foreign players to make their mark and be seen by MLS teams. A lot of the players that were signed seem to be African players.

nfitz
09-18-2008, 03:15 AM
Looking at the Champions League, there are (were) 4 MLS teams and 2 USL teams (Montreal and Peurto Rico). The two MLS teams that had to go through qualifying were knocked out, and the two USL teams survived.

Now in the group stage one MLS has lost their first match, but the 2 USL teams won - both beating a team that had eliminated an MLS team in qualifying.

Perhaps USL is the stronger league?

(some of this may be that the USL teams have more players than MLS teams, so they can handle more games - Montreal played today, then plays again on Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday. I'd like to see an MLS team do that.

Oldtimer
09-18-2008, 05:51 AM
why is this in the "news" section?

Fort York Redcoat
09-18-2008, 07:37 AM
USL has not improved that much on the field but its reputation is leaps and bounds above what it was before this years Champions League. There was the occasional upset in the US Cup but it was often written off as an unimportant competition for the MLS teams.

I wonder what could've happened if the Lynx took the opposite approach to the birth of TFC. Moved into the city and stayed in the first(second) division. Sure they would've got stick from some but I think they would get people out and get quite a rivalry.

Imagine Toronto playing the Lynx in the V's cup. That's the start of a derby right there. Oh well. Time to wake up.

Mark in Ottawa
09-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Maybe they are stocking up getting ready for the inevitable expansion player draft where they will lose a few players?

rocker
09-18-2008, 08:46 AM
in the recent DC game, and the Joe Public blowout of NE, the MLS teams did not play what I would consider their best starting lineups.
so keep that in mind. I think it's pretty well known that the back end of MLS rosters is probably on par with the starters on USL teams.
I think also desire plays a part in this. These USLers, in these short series, really put up a strong effort against the Big Bad MLSers ;)
Look at how Vancouver put in a great effort against TFC, and then rolled over and died against Montreal.

But over the course of a full season, with the starting players in MLS actually playing (not off for International duty), most USL teams would finish near the bottom of the league i think.

Limani_Ole
09-18-2008, 10:26 AM
in the recent DC game, and the Joe Public blowout of NE, the MLS teams did not play what I would consider their best starting lineups.
so keep that in mind. I think it's pretty well known that the back end of MLS rosters is probably on par with the starters on USL teams.
I think also desire plays a part in this. These USLers, in these short series, really put up a strong effort against the Big Bad MLSers ;)
Look at how Vancouver put in a great effort against TFC, and then rolled over and died against Montreal.

But over the course of a full season, with the starting players in MLS actually playing (not off for International duty), most USL teams would finish near the bottom of the league i think.

cant agree.. Montreal just beat Joe Public 2-0.. and MLS interest in USL players confirms this.. the quality is the same.. with the exception of the DP players..