PDA

View Full Version : Glass Tiger - My Town

jazz_trumpet
09-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Guys,

I went to my first TFC game at BMO on Saturday (I went to see them in Montreal back in May) and had an awesome time. The atmosphere, as everybody already knows, is absolutely unreal.

BUT

For God's sake, don't play Glass Tiger. That was the worst part of the game. Waiting in the big line, trying to get out of 109, and I have Glass Tiger forced into my brain.

Now don't get me wrong. I absolutely love this city, and have called it home for more then 20 years. But I feel ashamed when the best that we can to represent this awesome city, this awesome team, and especially all the fans is Glass Tiger. And the video that goes along with it is just as bad.

I remember a few weeks ago reading a thread about this song being the new You'll Never Walk Alone. I guarantee it will never reach that status. And I was not the only person in my section with this opinion.

Please. Glass Tiger just doesn't cut it. We can do better.

That's my rant.

Roogsy
09-16-2008, 10:56 PM
You think better can be done? Then please do. Step up to the plate son.

Alan Frew stepped up and recorded his song on behalf of TFC and it's fans.

It's a Canadian successful singer/songwriter that is doing his bit to promote TFC.

You don't like the song? Others do. If you can not only come up with a song that EVERYBODY will like and in addition to that, get the original singer/songwriter to record it for TFC...get'r done.

Daveisonfire
09-16-2008, 10:57 PM
:violin:

werewolf
09-16-2008, 10:58 PM
wKjxFJfcrcA

Roogsy
09-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Gawd...you'd think YNWA was the biggest most loved song before Liverpool fans began singing it. People just don't understand.

LMAO! Great clip Werewolf...

Daveisonfire
09-16-2008, 10:59 PM
wKjxFJfcrcA

lol QFT

BuSaPuNk
09-16-2008, 11:01 PM
wKjxFJfcrcA

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-16-2008, 11:05 PM
wKjxFJfcrcA
:cheers:

But really, just to sort of justify my response... Hours upon hours of work were put into this. Alan Frew did this for us as a gift, and Parkdale's vid happens to be among the most awesome things in the history of mankind. I happen to love the song, but even if you don't, at least respect the work that all these people put into it.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Guys,

I went to my first TFC game at BMO on Saturday (I went to see them in Montreal back in May) and had an awesome time. The atmosphere, as everybody already knows, is absolutely unreal.

BUT

For God's sake, don't play Glass Tiger. That was the worst part of the game. Waiting in the big line, trying to get out of 109, and I have Glass Tiger forced into my brain.

Now don't get me wrong. I absolutely love this city, and have called it home for more then 20 years. But I feel ashamed when the best that we can to represent this awesome city, this awesome team, and especially all the fans is Glass Tiger. And the video that goes along with it is just as bad.

I remember a few weeks ago reading a thread about this song being the new You'll Never Walk Alone. I guarantee it will never reach that status. And I was not the only person in my section with this opinion.

That's my rant.

it was way better then the rap, and heavy metal crpa they were playing at the begining of the season...Frew made a decent rework of a classic song, ususally when someone does it it bombs and by most fans opinions it was a success.

jazz_trumpet
09-16-2008, 11:22 PM
I understand the work involved. I'm a musician. So the efforts are not being bashed here.

SilverSamurai
09-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Dude we have to start somewhere.

Song is good I think. Has an almost "timeless" feel to it, unlike the BNL song. Sure their intent might've been there, but it felt very forced. Thanks MLS!

Roogsy
09-16-2008, 11:27 PM
But that is exactly what you did.

And the video that goes along with it is just as bad.

I get you don't like the song. Maybe you don't like Glass Tiger. I'd be surprised if anyone under 25 even remembers them. But many of us over 25 do, and we remember the song. So I put it to you, do you know of any song where:

a) written and produced by a Canadian
b) is well-known, to the point where a large percentage of the people recognize the melody
and c) the celebrity themselves is willing to come in and record it.

Do those things...and someone around here I am sure will be willing to do the AV work to put something together like Parky and Alan Frew did for TFC and the fans. Beyond that...how anyone can complain about this is shocking to me. It's not like U2 is breaking down our door to record one of their classics for us.

jazz_trumpet
09-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Where the celebrity is willing to come in and record it. Sure, that's an honour. I appreciate what Alan Frew has done for us.

But yea, they were big in the 80s. Where are they now? They seem to have a lot of extra time on there hands. Why wouldn't Mr. Frew record that for Toronto FC? He only stems to gain from that choice. Check out the upcoming gigs list on their site. Mardi Gras in Etobicoke? Festival of Lights in Peterborough?

Do I know of any songs that were written and produced by a Canadian and is popular to the point where a large percentage of the people recognize the melody? You bet I do.

The C part is kind of shady. My Town, as you know, wasn't originally written with Toronto in mind. I will go so far as to say that Mr Frew didn't re-record the tune because he loved Toronto FC. He did it because his song can be heard by 20,000+ people every week. You call it loyalty, I call it shrewd business practice.

Roogsy
09-16-2008, 11:46 PM
OMG...unless you think he is getting paid each time they play it, you have to be kidding me if you actually believe what you are writing.

People! Glass Tiger is making a comeback because their song is being played after TFC games! Album soon to be released!

I wonder if Coldplay will use that same strategy 10 years from now when they are past their prime.

I too know about the music industry and believe me there is nothing business about this. This was done because he IS a TFC fan, and a lover of soccer. If this had been Bryan Adams, with a new record coming out, maybe you can convince me. But this is a guy who in his spare time does soccer reports and who was actually seen at the games.

You're just rationalizing the excuses for your dislike of the song as somehow being something more sinister than it is.

I look forward to your submission to replace Our Town and the unanimity of acceptance for the song from all TFC fans.

Keyman
09-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Sorry, the masses have voted.

This topic has been discussed to death, and we reached a conclussion. If you don't like it, plug your ears and walk away. Simple.

v00d00daddy
09-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Sorry, the masses have voted.

This topic has been discussed to death, and we reached a conclussion. If you don't like it, plug your ears and walk away. Simple.

I'm pretty indifferent about the song. I'm not gonna put it down beacause I think it was a nice thing for Frew to do. I doubt I'll be one of the people singing it after games but fill your boots if you are.

As for the "masses have voted". By masses do you mean RPB or all TFC fans? I'm a season seat holder and I didn't recieve any email about voting on whether or not I want to see/hear this at the end of each game.

Just checking.

PaulinosTFC
09-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Guys,

BUT

That's my rant.

I gotta say I agree with you on this one, the video is nice but the song just doesn't cut it. I also don't believe it's heavy enough to represent the kind of passion and enthusiasm we put into supporting this club..sounds like kind of a sissy tune to me, would never get me pumped up for a match...before or after. And if I heard it after a game that we lost badly or because of a shite call I think I would go into a rage :noidea:

Keyman
09-17-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm pretty indifferent about the song. I'm not gonna put it down beacause I think it was a nice thing for Frew to do. I doubt I'll be one of the people singing it after games but fill your boots if you are.

As for the "masses have voted". By masses do you mean RPB or all TFC fans? I'm a season seat holder and I didn't recieve any email about voting on whether or not I want to see/hear this at the end of each game.

Just checking.

RPB and I believe Usector have agreed to accept it, now I may be wrong about that. But really, anyone outside of these two groups, or NEE, isn't going to be interested anyways. So why should they have a say?

We're the reason why TFC is so successful, not the 15,000 fans sitting on their asses. Therefore, we control shit.

:eek:

weeskunner57
09-17-2008, 12:45 AM
1st off....if it was shrewd business for Alan Frew...Alan would have jumped on it well over a year ago when he was 1st approached...but no, he felt that it would be best.. if the idea was left for awhile to see what kind of support it would get from supporters..the idea WOULD NOT go away...So Alan was approached again and lo and behold you don't like the result...But alot of people do and alot more people will as they hear it....As for the quality of the video ..parky is a class act...+ for his effort alone...I for one am glad it is played at the end of the match..
OH and if memory serves....YNWA was never written for scousers and tims to sing along to.....;)

PaulinosTFC
09-17-2008, 12:51 AM
I also think this is our "unofficial" song because of a lack of competition...was there really any other choices anyway? Nope

v00d00daddy
09-17-2008, 12:53 AM
RPB and I believe Usector have agreed to accept it, now I may be wrong about that. But really, anyone outside of these two groups, or NEE, isn't going to be interested anyways. So why should they have a say?

We're the reason why TFC is so successful, not the 15,000 fans sitting on their asses. Therefore, we control shit.

I seriously hope that you're joking.

weeskunner57
09-17-2008, 12:58 AM
I also think this is our "unofficial" song because of a lack of competition...was there really any other choices anyway? Nope

But surely (if i may call you surely)...those who got the mytown TFC version done shouldn't be blamed for your points?

deschamp86
09-17-2008, 01:02 AM

This is why I hate going on this site. It provides great info and for the most part most people can offer unbiased opinions. But then some people seem to think their shit doesn't stink as bad as everyone elses.

The 15,000 fans that sit on their asses at the game have just as much right to support the team as the Red Patch Boys or U Sector, so get over yourself.

P.S. I think whoever helped make the Glass Tiger video did an awesome job

Cashcleaner
09-17-2008, 01:34 AM
Ummm...

We had song ideas getting tossed about for much of last season. That should have been plenty of time for others to create a new song if they weren't fans of Our Town.

I don't understand how people can come into the discussion and criticize the results long after the first proposals.

BigLou
09-17-2008, 02:49 AM
Where the celebrity is willing to come in and record it. Sure, that's an honour. I appreciate what Alan Frew has done for us.

But yea, they were big in the 80s. Where are they now? They seem to have a lot of extra time on there hands. Why wouldn't Mr. Frew record that for Toronto FC? He only stems to gain from that choice. Check out the upcoming gigs list on their site. Mardi Gras in Etobicoke? Festival of Lights in Peterborough?

Do I know of any songs that were written and produced by a Canadian and is popular to the point where a large percentage of the people recognize the melody? You bet I do.

The C part is kind of shady. My Town, as you know, wasn't originally written with Toronto in mind. I will go so far as to say that Mr Frew didn't re-record the tune because he loved Toronto FC. He did it because his song can be heard by 20,000+ people every week. You call it loyalty, I call it shrewd business practice.

First let me say I love the way the song sounds at BMO but I would have thought there could be little dispute over this aspect of it. The original lines in the song refer to Nova Scotia and they have been changed now for the Football club in town which is the hot ticket right now. Maybe Alan Frew really loves Toronto FC but I have to think the dollars and cents came into it somewhere.

TorCanSoc
09-17-2008, 04:47 AM
When it was first discussed I kind sighed and questioned "Glass Tiger?". I'm not a music guy, nothing from the 80's was cool. Believe me I know, high school and uni from 80 to 89. I am the definitive 80's boy... I've got the thinning hair, and pear shape to prove it!!! HA HA. I knew the song was in memory of Nova Scotia, but in the context of TFC its pretty cool.

I remember Alan somehow coming on the boards and pitching his song. I remember it was a tad thick at times. But I whole heartedly trust the RPB populus in identifying insincerity. Through forums and over-discussion we're pretty good at finding out who truly loves the game, the team. So in RPB I trust.

Cash: Jazz's first game, so I take it somewhat new to RPB. I did not find his posts condescending (sp?) he tip-toed through voicing his opposing opinion.

jayeden
09-17-2008, 05:33 AM

this is simply the worst post i have ever seen come off this site.

BuSaPuNk
09-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Listen I have never heard this song until I saw the video posted on here by Jack. When I seen it I don't think I have ever thought that a sports team could find a better song or have a better video. (great job park) Listen think what you want. But I hear nothing but good things about this video and song. Whatelse would you want a band do a song that doesn't care about this city or football club? Shit why don't we ditch this song and have like some swedish death metal band do the theme? lol.

Don't think so best song for this team. This is our home, it's our town!

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 06:39 AM
Shit why don't we ditch this song and have like some swedish death metal band do the theme
That's what some people would like, which rather pisses me off...

jazz trumpet: I can understand you not liking the song, but the whole point is this:

So many people on here just don't seem to realize what a privilege it is to have a song done just for your club. Most clubs in the world don't have that luxury- ESPECIALLY clubs that are all of two years old. I was talking to a friend of mine who supports Cambridge United and he said they've adopted some Panathinaikos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0rMe2Vyb9E) song called Horto Majiko except obviously with lyrics adapted for Cambridge... Not everyone is as lucky as we are. Imagine if the Liverpool fans on here had their way and we sang You'll Never Walk Alone? I'd feel like an idiot. This is something completely original, something no other club in the world uses. And as for Alan's intentions, I don't think they were anything but sincere. He did this completely for free. If he needed exposure for his music, he'd be better off giving it to the Leafs.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 06:45 AM
I gotta say I agree with you on this one, the video is nice but the song just doesn't cut it. I also don't believe it's heavy enough to represent the kind of passion and enthusiasm we put into supporting this club..sounds like kind of a sissy tune to me, would never get me pumped up for a match...before or after. And if I heard it after a game that we lost badly or because of a shite call I think I would go into a rage :noidea:
Have you ever been to a football match before? No song that ANY club sings is 'heavy', if you want gangsta rap or modern metal played at games you should go to the ACC or SkyDome, that shit's not welcome at football matches.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-17-2008, 06:49 AM
GT's My town version for TFC....will one day become the anthem of the reds....no question! ;)

Fort York Redcoat
09-17-2008, 06:51 AM
Does anybody believe that when YNWA was introduced every Scouser from age 15-30 thought it was the coolest?

Instead of thinking "Glass Tiger is not my favourite band in the world"

try thinking

"What will this sound like when 20,000 Reds sing this song together?"

BuSaPuNk
09-17-2008, 06:53 AM
If we did have to change the song (not that we ever would) the only people I could think that would make a good theme is Great Big Sea, Blue Rodeo, and mabey Stomping Tom. This team has been adopted as Canada's team we need a Canadaian doing the theme.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 06:53 AM
I think it only even became known to them when local group Gerry & the Pacemakers (who incidentally were managed by Brian Epstein, if you don't know who he was then you're a doofus) recorded a cover, and even then I'm sure it took a number of years before it caught on.

LucaGol
09-17-2008, 07:00 AM
Why do some people have to be so difficult?

Its as if singing an adapted Glass Tiger song is breaking some sort of sacrosanct chanting code.

Everyone's opinion should be respected ... but ffs, the decision to sing or not sing the song will not affect the fate of the universe.

So ya, it's catchy, has potential, most people like it, ... just sing it. (Don't worry, I won't tell your conformist rebel friends that you're going along with the crowd)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-17-2008, 07:02 AM
GT'S song is great after the game....but

I still think if any song should be played as the boys walk onto the pitch...before the match its this song!!!

Mabey its not played because it was wriiten and sung by an RPB supporter i dunno!...Has this ever been presented to TFC?? if not why??

Or even ARE YOU RED...Where has that vanished? These were some great TFC tunes..that were made by the supporters..where have they gone....its a shame we have swept them under the rug!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUNd7XtcDf8

Up The TFC
09-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Or even ARE YOU RED...Where has that vanished?

Yeah! I think ARE YOU RED is better than than the BNL tune, My Town, and the MLS Anthem rolled up into one!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-17-2008, 07:24 AM
YNWA is also played at anfield on the Loud speakers at the ground! and yes....the original song!. and its noting to die for....but

when sung along by the masses at anfield thats what makes it so special..they didnt change the words..of the original..they just sing it as is!!

for those who think its just a song they came up with for the club..nope!

here's what they listen to and sing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ1wVOzYhcc

what im getting at...if the supporters start to sing along with this as its being played at the BMO.. it would be amazing!

SLBuu
09-17-2008, 07:27 AM
who's glass tiger and who's alan frew?

never heard of either before this thread, and i guess that would be the video/song shown at the end of the game.

jazz_trumpet
Cash: Jazz's first game, so I take it somewhat new to RPB. I did not find his posts condescending (sp?) he tip-toed through voicing his opposing opinion.

I've been reading through this forum with great interest prior to the beginning of this soccer season. I was aware of this forum earlier, and if you look carefully, you'll find me in a few of the pictures of BMO field's construction.

nascarguy
This is why I hate going on this site. It provides great info and for the most part most people can offer unbiased opinions. But then some people seem to think their shit doesn't stink as bad as everyone elses.

The 15,000 fans that sit on their asses at the game have just as much right to support the team as the Red Patch Boys or U Sector, so get over yourself.

P.S. I think whoever helped make the Glass Tiger video did an awesome job i say this if it was not for rpb and u-sector for writing all the song. TFc would not be as good as it is today .

jazz_trumpet
09-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Does anybody believe that when YNWA was introduced every Scouser from age 15-30 thought it was the coolest?

Instead of thinking "Glass Tiger is not my favourite band in the world"

try thinking

"What will this sound like when 20,000 Reds sing this song together?"

I've asked myself that question before. I just don't see it happening.

YNWA is cool because it doesn't represent the city or the team, but the camaraderie of the supporters. No matter who they are, from where they're from. They go to a Liverpool game and feel like a family.

TFC's got the same thing. Perhaps even better. This is the most multicultural city in the world, so when people so united and so passionate about something like this, why are we not singing about it?

FluSH
09-17-2008, 07:37 AM
Guys,

BUT

That's my rant.

Well...

I agree with you 100% but we are a very small minority.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-17-2008, 07:41 AM
Well...

would of liked this being played at bmo before knowing what it could turn into?? ;)

have to start somewhere....

now here they play the same song at Anfield aon the speakers..as the fans follow along......

enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11MQnQ8QjJs&feature=related

BuSaPuNk
09-17-2008, 07:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUQgMeJzYOw
I could see this catching on at somepoint: The Gangs All Here by Dropkick Murphys. The Corous starting at :24.

Here's the lyrics: Singing Hail, Hail, the Gangs All Here.
Leave your worries at the door boy, they're not going anywhere
Hail, hail the gang's all here
When the going gets tough, I know my friends will still be there

The last line could always be changed to I know the reds will still be here.

djking2
09-17-2008, 07:44 AM
First let me say I love the way the song sounds at BMO but I would have thought there could be little dispute over this aspect of it. The original lines in the song refer to Nova Scotia and they have been changed now for the Football club in town which is the hot ticket right now. Maybe Alan Frew really loves Toronto FC but I have to think the dollars and cents came into it somewhere.

For the record the "Scotia" in the original refers to Scotland Frew's birthplace not Nova Scotia. Not a big deal I suppose.

Fort York Redcoat
09-17-2008, 07:44 AM
I've asked myself that question before. I just don't see it happening.

YNWA is cool because it doesn't represent the city or the team, but the camaraderie of the supporters. No matter who they are, from where they're from. They go to a Liverpool game and feel like a family.

TFC's got the same thing. Perhaps even better. This is the most multicultural city in the world, so when people so united and so passionate about something like this, why are we not singing about it?

I hear more people singing it every game. (last game wasn't my first):)

And as to the fame of YNWA, it's a comparison not a short term goal. If people can't get over the fact it's not what they want to hear in the club on the weekend or in their car on their commute then they can just listen to the growing numbers of people who just like to sing about our team and club at the end of games.

nascarguy
09-17-2008, 07:47 AM
would of liked this being played at bmo before knowing what it could turn into?? ;)

hell no :banghead:

SLBuu
09-17-2008, 07:51 AM

im sorry, I seem to have misplaced my 'power trip'. I think someone picked it up at the game vs the crew.

Please PM me if anyone has found it.

Keyman
09-17-2008, 07:57 AM
lol people on here are too damn serious

For the record, I wasn't being serious. Those who know me know I would not say anything like that with any seriousness.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-17-2008, 08:04 AM
lol people on here are too damn serious

For the record, I wasn't being serious. Those who know me know I would not say anything like that with any seriousness.

QFT!:D

BigLou
09-17-2008, 08:06 AM
For the record the "Scotia" in the original refers to Scotland Frew's birthplace not Nova Scotia. Not a big deal I suppose.

Interesting....

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 08:10 AM
Well...

Me too. Loved Glass Tiger, even have a personally autographed picture. Personally, that song fucking sucks. Every time I hear it I cringe. Anyone that has come with me to games always asks what the hell is up with that song.

But that is exactly what you did.

I get you don't like the song. Maybe you don't like Glass Tiger. I'd be surprised if anyone under 25 even remembers them. But many of us over 25 do, and we remember the song. So I put it to you, do you know of any song where:

a) written and produced by a Canadian
b) is well-known, to the point where a large percentage of the people recognize the melody
and c) the celebrity themselves is willing to come in and record it.

Do those things...and someone around here I am sure will be willing to do the AV work to put something together like Parky and Alan Frew did for TFC and the fans. Beyond that...how anyone can complain about this is shocking to me. It's not like U2 is breaking down our door to record one of their classics for us.

Why does it have to be someone who was good in the 80's? Why not as some mentioned earlier, a LOCAL artist who actually WROTE a NEW song directly for TFC. Not adapting lyrics to fit the city of Toronto, so that a flailing artist can try and get a new grip on an old market.

You want written and produced? ARE YOU RED?

Written and produced by an RPB.

It's not well known, but after listening 2-3 times I bet more people could sing along than to My Town.

Who gives a fuck if a celebrity (who hasn't been a celebrity in over a decade) wants to record a song for us? If that's your line of thinking, why not approach an active artist to write a song for us?

Shocking? Maybe shocking because you agree with it. What else is new, if it's not your opinion, it's crap.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 08:11 AM

have to start somewhere....

now here they play the same song at Anfield aon the speakers..as the fans follow along......

enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11MQnQ8QjJs&feature=relatedYou have honestly and truly got to be f*cking kidding me. What did I just finish saying about not always copying other clubs??!!! :rant: If you want TFC to be Liverpool second edition, give up now cause it's not happening.

Daveisonfire
09-17-2008, 08:11 AM
I think the idea of it being an "anthem" is the problem that people have with it...

Stop thinking of it as an anthem, and start thinking it as just another song to sing on game day and you're good to go...

Maple Leaf Red
09-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Where is this Are You Red song?

I like My Town and the video is awesome.

And really, YNWA is a showtune from a fucking musical. Do you think that there was a unanimous decision to sing that before games?

Of course, now it's the greatest song on the planet.

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 08:15 AM
I think the idea of it being an "anthem" is the problem that people have with it...

Stop thinking of it as an anthem, and start thinking it as just another song to sing on game day and you're good to go...

Or the fact that Alan Frew is now, and has been for years, a washed up Canadian artist who rewrote a song that turned out to be utter crap. :noidea:

nascarguy
09-17-2008, 08:21 AM
what about this one did anyone see this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElRfPWKPCkw

MUFC_Niagara
09-17-2008, 08:23 AM
yet another idiotic post. all i have to say to everyone who is bitching about someone who VOLUNTEERED to do something nice for us is this. FUCK OFF. instead of bitching step up and do something about it. this forum is not the bitch and complain center for everything that happenes at a TFC game. it's a football forum to talk about FOOTBALL. people are now coming on here to bitch about the music being played when they leave the stadium! ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 08:25 AM
just wanted to chime in....

I understand that it is impossible to please everyone all the time,
but you can please some people some of the time. In this case,
the vast majority of feedback has been positive, so I consider
that to be success. There were many people involved in the
production of the song and the music video, and they did it
all simple because it's there. Rather than have a crappy
commissioned track like the BNL song, people who knew they
could do better stepped up to the plate and actually did better.
It's not perfect, because perfect is impossible.

I'm proud to have been involved with the project. Not because it's
a video for my demo reel, but because it's something that so many
people actually enjoy. I know this is tacky, but lots of people said
things like I almost shed a single tear and that means something.

oh, and I'm not surprised that someone who calls himself jazz trumpet
would look down his nose at repackaged CanCon pop music form the 80's.
sorry.... but Coltrane wasn't available.

nascarguy
09-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Where is this Are You Red song?

I like My Town and the video is awesome.

And really, YNWA is a showtune from a fucking musical. Do you think that there was a unanimous decision to sing that before games?

Of course, now it's the greatest song on the planet.

yeah where is it it not on youtube

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 08:27 AM

How about someone who appreciates music from basically every generation? Someone who appreciated and still owns Glass Tiger tapes. Are we not allowed to oppose opinions anymore?

I appreciate that it's better than BNL, but really, do you honestly think it's a better and more fitting song than some of the songs that were written by our own RPB's? I can't say I do.

David_Oliveira
09-17-2008, 08:29 AM
what about this one did anyone see this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElRfPWKPCkw

I like this one. I don't know why people put down My Town. Is it outdated? Sure it is but it's all we have now. Until other people suggest something better live with it

nascarguy
09-17-2008, 08:30 AM

It's not perfect, because perfect is impossible.

I thought the song was good but the vide was great did anyone tape the whole video I was busy takeing down banners

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-17-2008, 08:31 AM
yeah where is it it not on youtube
]

Hear the noise from the boys comin from the south end... no need to pretend ...are you red? :)

Pigfynns song!!

Ask him to post it!!

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 08:31 AM
How about someone who appreciates music from basically every generation? Someone who appreciated and still owns Glass Tiger tapes. Are we not allowed to oppose opinions anymore?

where in my post does it say you're not allowed to dislike the song?
In fact... it says right at the top - you can't please all the people all the time.

How many times have you said Don't put words in my mouth? Well back-at-cha.

I appreciate that it's better than BNL, but really, do you honestly think it's a better and more fitting song than some of the songs that were written by our own RPB's? I can't say I do.

I would have loved to hear the ramblers songs up there, but it became political. I'm not going to get into the details, but the fact that it was written by our own RPB's wasn't a positive to some people. My Town came together with wider involvement.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-17-2008, 08:34 AM
In fact... it says right at the top - you can't please all the people all the time.

I would have loved to hear the ramblers songs up there, but it became political. I'm not going to get into the details, but the fact that it was written by our own RPB's wasn't a positive to some people. My Town came together with wider involvement.

as i mentioned that in an earlier post as the reason....

and that totally BS!!

If its quality..who cares who made it!!

Fort York Redcoat
09-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Anybody else keep saying "Yazz trumpet" when they read it?:D

OneLoveOneEric
09-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Play us some yazz flute!
Baby making music! ughh! :)

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 08:43 AM
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/92/groverwashingtonjrwineldw0.jpghttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kEVcy0rQ4Wk/R0r5vTSYABI/AAAAAAAAF5Q/SYyf8q5CpMY/s1600/Grover%2BWashington%2BJr.%2B-%2BWinelight%2B%281980%29.jpg

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 08:44 AM

That particular comment was more towards Roogsy's hostility towards the OP's comments.

So it wasn't a positive to some people... what happened to your saying of you can't please everyone....?

Are You Red, IMO, is perfect for how My Town is used. It's about the team, it's supportive, it's uplifting, it's applicable in every way.

jayeden
09-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Play us some yazz flute!
Baby making music! ughh! :)

KF5vlT01JNc

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
That particular comment was more towards Roogsy's hostility towards the OP's comments.

So it wasn't a positive to some people... what happened to your saying of you can't please everyone....?

Are You Red, IMO, is perfect for how My Town is used. It's about the team, it's supportive, it's uplifting, it's applicable in every way.

agreed...but as said before.....Other groups get into a frenzy..cause it was RPB written....acually KW CREW WRITTEN...:D

David_Oliveira
Can the rest of the people hear Are you red? I mean is it available on youtube or anywhere else? I would like to hear it

Parkdale

totally.

Ideally, we could have 4 or 5 songs that all cover the same territory,
and they would be played based on the outcome of the match.
After a win, we'd use a certain song. After a loss, a different one.
I see that coming to be, but right now they only have one track.
More will come, and hopefully they get on board with the Ramblers.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Thing is, My Town was an effort from all the groups, and while I respect that some people aren't so sold on it, it is the choice of the majority, and therefore I think we should keep using it. :)

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 08:48 AM
They only have one track because that's all that you guys were proposing.

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Can the rest of the people hear Are you red? I mean is it available on youtube or anywhere else? I would like to hear it

I have it on a CD... not sure where it was hosted before, someone had it uploaded.

Pigfynn
09-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Any song that's half way decent and represents TFC and furthers our hope for the club's success, is alright by me.

I'm going into the studio to record a new TFC song on Thursday. It is not an anthem, nor am I trying to say it's going to be great or even liked by everyone.

I wrote it with the intention of it being a rally cry for when the team is down in a match or also for when we are on the road....as a song that can be chanted (in part) on the buses and in the opposition's ground.

I will post it when it's done.

My advice is to keep writing new and passionate songs, one of us, or some TFC fan will eventually hit the nail on the head and we'll have our song...or we'll have dozens of great tributes. Either way it's awesome.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-17-2008, 08:50 AM
totally.

Ideally, we could have 4 or 5 songs that all cover the same territory,
and they would be played based on the outcome of the match.
After a win, we'd use a certain song. After a loss, a different one.
I see that coming to be, but right now they only have one track.
More will come, and hopefully they get on board with the Ramblers.

1.AS they come onto the pitch at the start!....TFC LEGEND :)

2.COming out from half time....ARE YOU RED! :)

3.END OF THE GAME...MY TOWN..:)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Any song that's half way decent and represents TFC and furthers our hope for the club's success, is alright by me.

I'm going into the studio to record a new TFC song on Thursday. It is not an anthem, nor am I trying to say it's going to be great or even liked by everyone.

I wrote it with the intention of it being a rally cry for when the team is down in a match or also for when we are on the road....as a song that can be chanted (in part) on the buses and in the opposition's ground.

I will post it when it's done.

My advice is to keep writing new a passionate songs and one of us or some TFC fan will eventually hit the nail on the head and we'll have our song...or we'll have dozens of great tributes. Either way it's awesome.

hey bro

if its anything like the first one.....im sure it will be great!

by the way can you post a link for ARE you RED or where i can get another MP3!??..:)

Pigfynn
09-17-2008, 08:55 AM
I don't think it's hosted anymore...if anyone knows how to do it or if they can upload it some how...be my guest.

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 08:56 AM
I can upload it.. but I don't have the CD on me.

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 08:56 AM
They only have one track because that's all that you guys were proposing.

oh, I forgot.... the FO does what we want them to do.

:rolleyes::cool::D

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Majority of the time, yes.

Shaughno
Btw, Jon you could upload it if you wanted..

http://www.garageband.com/

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
oh, I forgot.... the FO does what we want them to do.

:rolleyes::cool::D

hey parky..to your knowledge has these other songs every been presented to tfc??

and i think you should make a video..for are you red! ;)

Pigfynn
09-17-2008, 09:00 AM
I can upload it.. but I don't have the CD on me.

You mean you don't carry one around with you??? C'mon man!:D

Shaughno
It's in my car man!

Jack
Seriously. Are people this bored that they're arguing over a song?

The song doesn't appeal to everyone, but it's still cool to have songs about our team.

Are you red?
Legend TFC
My Town
Etc. etc.

None of them are the be all, end all.

Everyone just chill out and get back to work...

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 09:02 AM
^^ Someone suggested that My Town shouldn't be played and he got utterly brutalized for it. Some of us are just backing his opinion since we share similar opinions. Isn't that what message boards are for? Debating, discussion, etc?

GabrielHurl
09-17-2008, 09:02 AM
work??? hahaha

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 09:03 AM
^^ boss is in Cali...fuckin' right I'm not gonna do work. :rofl:

ps. uploading Are You Red.

nascarguy
09-17-2008, 09:07 AM
yeah Shaughno is working.... he is working on his post count...lol he need to get back up to 13,000 ...lol

Pigfynn
09-17-2008, 09:11 AM
I don't know if this will work, but here;s a link to Are You Red?

http://www.garageband.com/artist/pigfynn/songs

BakaGaijin
^^ Someone suggested that My Town shouldn't be played and he got utterly brutalized for it. Some of us are just backing his opinion since we share similar opinions. Isn't that what message boards are for? Debating, discussion, etc?

Exactly.

Having songs about TFC is great. However, I can totally understand someone despising Glass Tiger. The 80's was full of shit bands.......and Glass Tiger was one of Canada's greatest contributions to the pile of shit.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
It's in my car man!

lol..i can see you now driving down 24..... Windows open....ARE YOU RED? ...blasting away!!:D

Parkdale
yeah Shaughno is working.... he is working on his post count...lol he need to get back up to 13,000 ...lol

LOL BUMP

[/nascar]

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 09:14 AM
The 80's was full of shit bands.......and Glass Tiger was one of Canada's greatest contributions to the pile of shit.

you know what..... They didn't buy all those millions of albums by themselves.

Granted, the same thing can be said about Nickleback or Clay Aiken.
(or Lil'Wayne, Creed, Matchbox20, Milli Vanilli etc etc etc.)

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Are You Red?

Link should work...

http://www.garageband.com/go/G9TW2C3K6E

Pigfynn
09-17-2008, 09:21 AM
I guess there are two R U Red garage band bands hahahaha

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 09:23 AM
ahahahaha ah well, I figured since Derek sent me the file I might as well upload it!

But I uploaded it under my profile rather than as a band. ;)

nascarguy
09-17-2008, 09:24 AM
tfc fo could have pick this song ..thank god they did not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6pgkabi4KA&feature=related

ACSertL
09-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Listen I have never heard this song until I saw the video posted on here by Jack. When I seen it I don't think I have ever thought that a sports team could find a better song or have a better video. (great job park) Listen think what you want. But I hear nothing but good things about this video and song. Whatelse would you want a band do a song that doesn't care about this city or football club? Shit why don't we ditch this song and have like some swedish death metal band do the theme? lol.

Don't think so best song for this team. This is our home, it's our town!

And just what would be wrong with that? :)

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 09:33 AM
^^ I'm 100% for that suggestion. :D

BakaGaijin
09-17-2008, 09:38 AM
you know what..... They didn't buy all those millions of albums by themselves.

Granted, the same thing can be said about Nickleback or Clay Aiken.
(or Lil'Wayne, Creed, Matchbox20, Milli Vanilli etc etc etc.)

Lol...........so Brittany Spears, Backstreet Boys and New Kids On The Block are the greatest artist's of all-time?!?

The majority of the public are lemmings. They listen to what the media tells them to listen too.........they don't appreciate good music or art.

Mr. Frew may be a really nice guy. Good for him. His band still blows.

Marketing and cheesy haircuts sold Glass Tiger records. Not quality.

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Marketing and cheesy haircuts sold Glass Tiger records. Not quality.

they were a product of their times. They sang catchy ballad rock, and that's what people were buying.

As for the Brittney Spears joke... sure she's shit but there are thousands of other "singers" who were doing what she was doing, but they were even shittier than her.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 09:42 AM
^^ I'm 100% for that suggestion. :D
Ugh... I hate to be confrontational, but a metal song for TFC would almost certainly blow. Find me one single solitary club in the world (even up in Scandinavia, the land of viking beards and death metal awesome sweep-picking solos yo) that sings or plays metal at its matches...

And I'll still think it's a moronic idea. ;)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Are You Red?

Link should work...

http://www.garageband.com/go/G9TW2C3K6E

what a waste of a song!!!!!

this should sooooooooooooooooo...be played at BMO FIELD!!!:canada:

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 09:44 AM
they were a product of their times. They sang catchy ballad rock, and that's what people were buying.

As for the Brittney Spears joke... sure she's shit but there are thousands of other "singers" who were doing what she was doing, but they were even shittier than her.
Glass Tiger weren't nearly as bad as the majority of those eighties pop bands. Duran Duran, Culture Club, all that shit... Glass Tiger don't sound anything like them.

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Ugh... I hate to be confrontational, but a metal song for TFC would almost certainly blow. Find me one single solitary club in the world (even up in Scandinavia, the land of viking beards and death metal awesome sweep-picking solos yo) that sings or plays metal at its matches...

as an aside to that....

find my any Hockey arena in the world that hasn't played Bon Jovi's track Shot to the heart, and you're to blame... you give love, a bad name

sports and iffy music selection goes hand in hand here in North America.
Sure we consider ourselves to be outside of the mainstream sports sphere,
but we ARE in North America, so that's kind of what we have to deal with.

why else would shit like this exist?
http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/amg/pop_albums/8/5/g/d85945i0agi.jpg

^ Is My Town 2008 better than that? Yes.

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 09:49 AM

So we have to follow what everyone else does? ;) but without hearing a metal song written about TFC, how could you say it would almost certainly blow? I mean, if you appreciate the music and it's written properly I don't see why it would blow. It could definitely work as 'scare' tactic. I believe there was a team in Germany that used to have Rammstein as their entrance music though. ;)

Glass Tiger weren't nearly as bad as the majority of those eighties pop bands. Duran Duran, Culture Club, all that shit... Glass Tiger don't sound anything like them.

Definitely agree. They were good for their time. Unfortunately that time was nearly two decades ago and Alan Frew IMO has lost any touch he had. My $0.02 anyway.

ACSertL
09-17-2008, 09:49 AM

I think the ":D" would indicate that it was a half joke.

flatpicker
09-17-2008, 09:50 AM

ah come one!

Duran Duran was great!
- Girls On Film!, RIO!, Wild Boys!, Hungry Like a Wolf!, New Moon On Monday!, A View To a Kill!... etc...

GO 80's!!!!

:D

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 09:53 AM
as an aside to that....

find my any Hockey arena in the world that hasn't played Bon Jovi's track Shot to the heart, and you're to blame... you give love, a bad name

sports and iffy music selection goes hand in hand here in North America.
Sure we consider ourselves to be outside of the mainstream sports sphere,
but we ARE in North America, so that's kind of what we have to deal with.

why else would shit like this exist?
http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/amg/pop_albums/8/5/g/d85945i0agi.jpg

^ Is My Town 2008 better than that? Yes.

First, whoa... full stop. Hockey games do not compare to football games. Not the game, not the atmosphere.. nothing! :lol:

Second, no My Town is not better than Jock Jams. And I fully support that statement.

Queen - We Will Rock You
Ramones - Blitzkreig Bop
James Brown - I got you
Steppenwolf - Born to be wild
BTO - Takin' care of business

Are you seriously saying My Town is better than those songs Parky? If so I seriously call Shenanigans on your sense of music!

Sure there's crap on Jock Jams, but those definitely get trumped by the good songs. ;)

Edit: My bad, that's Jock Rock. :p

Jock Jams:

2 Unlimited - Get Ready for this (da nana.. :lol: )
Tag Team - Whoomp there it is (great 'charge up' song)
C&C - Gonna make you sweat (I know you love this song)
NbyN - Hip Hop Hooray
M/A/R/R/S - Pump up the volume (speaks for itself)
Technotronic - Pump up the jam

^for the most part all good to get the crowd going. My Town?... not so much. ;)

Pigfynn
09-17-2008, 09:58 AM
If Mr.Frew is a real fan of TFC and he loves our club...and what he meant by giving one of his songs was to praise TFC and not some- worm your way back into the lime light- type of thing (which I don"t believe it was) than I think we should support that. I don't mean everyone has to like the song because that is never possible, but to acknowledge the tribute is important, surely.

nascarguy
09-17-2008, 09:59 AM
I say this now if the MLS trying to use this song http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=o85RSVMbkXY&feature=related I will lose it....lol

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Matter of opinion though innit. :D

Shaughno, to be honest I despise every one of the ten million genres of post-eighties metal. I like the really early metal, like Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Crimson King, etc. and even some Iron Maiden and the bands from that era, but the stuff that came after metal originally sort of died (when grunge booted it out of the mainstream in the early nineties) is pretentious as hell and in my opinion isn't worth listening to. Obviously there are a lot of metal fans out there, but that's just my point of view.

I can see it as a scare tactic, but if we DID make a metal tune... please don't make it modern screaming style metal. And it would have to be something original that we could sing, not some Guitar Hero-ified solo fest. ;)

Anyway, what I've sort of been trying to say this whole time is that bashing this song seems pointless. We should sing this as well as the other songs if people like, it's all a part of trying to establish our own identity... And shove our superiority down the throats of every other team in the league. :D Especially the KKK fans. I'm seriously against using generic arena rock songs for that very reason. They aren't original, and they'll make us look like a bunch of soccer moms singing worn-out familiar songs the likes of which they play at the home of such an incredible atmosphere, the Air Canada Centre. I'm a massive Leafs fan, but you'd have a wilder time sitting at home crocheting than you do at a Leafs home game.

Fort York Redcoat
09-17-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm gonna sing Our Town till you guys find that perfect song that everybody agrees on.

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Matter of opinion though innit. :D

Shaughno, to be honest I despise every one of the ten million genres of post-eighties metal. I like the really early metal, like Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Crimson King, etc. and even some Iron Maiden and the bands from that era, but the stuff that came after metal originally sort of died (when grunge booted it out of the mainstream in the early nineties) is pretentious as hell and in my opinion isn't worth listening to. Obviously there are a lot of metal fans out there, but that's just my point of view.

I can see it as a scare tactic, but if we DID make a metal tune... please don't make it modern screaming style metal. And it would have to be something original that we could sing, not some Guitar Hero-ified solo fest. ;)

Anyway, what I've sort of been trying to say this whole time is that bashing this song seems pointless. We should sing this as well as the other songs if people like, it's all a part of trying to establish our own identity... And shove our superiority down the throats of every other team in the league. :D Especially the KKK fans.

Just a quick comment. :p It's KING CRIMSON, not Crimson King. :rofl:

weeskunner57
09-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Or the fact that Alan Frew is now, and has been for years, a washed up Canadian artist who rewrote a song that turned out to be utter crap. :noidea:

alan didn't re-write the song...TFC supporters did...

TorontoBlades
09-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Whatever - I still like it...and it makes me want to buy a Chevy Silverado for some strange reason... :)

TicTacTabarnack
09-17-2008, 10:03 AM
I like it and I'll stick around to sing it after TFC wins at home. I'm still waiting ...

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 10:05 AM
First, whoa... full stop. Hockey games do not compare to football games. Not the game, not the atmosphere.. nothing! :lol:

right. that's why I prefaced it with sporting events in North America which just happens to be what we attend at BMO. Just like we have to adapt to the North American practices of fire codes, bag searches, overpriced beers etc etc...... it's impossible to think soccer exists in a bubble that's removed from where it's played. The MLS is about as American a sporting experience as you can get.

I_AM_CANADIAN
Just a quick comment. :p It's KING CRIMSON, not Crimson King. :rofl:
Woteva. :p Point still stands.

Shaughno
alan didn't re-write the song...TFC supporters did...

My bad, Alan recorded it and it was crap. Better? :lol:

rocker
09-17-2008, 10:06 AM
thank god they don't play any jazz at BMO Field! and no trumpets either!

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 10:07 AM
He recorded it, and it wasn't crap...

See? Now we're just going round in circles. :p

If you think it's crap, then let's go out and make something better. We'll sing it as well as My Town, which many people find awesome. Think positive, not negative.

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 10:08 AM
I already voiced my opinion on what should be sung. In fact, I was voicing it when the song was written, before 'My Town' was even being considered.

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Think positive, not negative.

ummm..... you're talking to Shaughno. :D

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 10:09 AM
I haven't heard are you red... and unfortunately I'm posting this from school, and lack headphones, so ya...

I just get the feeling, though, that if it had been so fantastic, more people would have latched onto it.

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 10:12 AM
I haven't heard are you red... and unfortunately I'm posting this from school, and lack headphones, so ya...

I just get the feeling, though, that if it had been so fantastic, more people would have latched onto it.

A lot of people DID latch on to it, and The Legend TFC. The problem (I gather) was that people 'outside' RPB didn't like the songs simply because they were written by RPB members. Which in itself is beyond stupid and petty in my eyes.

ps. Fuck you sparky, it's all about your perception of the opinion. ;)

flatpicker
09-17-2008, 10:13 AM
^ Are You Red is a fun tune.

I probably wouldn't have it in my playlist but it's good.
But I probably wouldn't have My Town in my playlist either.
But most of the tunes I have heard suggested are decent, hopefully more will get played at BMO.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 10:14 AM
I've heard Legend TFC and I'm not a huge fan, it sounds like someone tried far too hard to copy You'll Never Walk Alone... Which as I've said, in my opinion isn't the idea.

I agree about the whole group rivalry being stupid.

Um, ya.

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 10:24 AM
I've heard Legend TFC and I'm not a huge fan, it sounds like someone tried far too hard to copy You'll Never Walk Alone... Which as I've said, in my opinion isn't the idea.

I agree about the whole group rivalry being stupid.

Um, ya.

I appreciate the song Legend TFC, but although I may be slightly biased Are You Red just fits so perfectly for us, the supporters. Written by a supporter, for supporters. It's applicable, it's fun, it's got a catchy chorus.

Yes, it is stupid.

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 10:26 AM
The problem (I gather) was that people 'outside' RPB didn't like the songs simply because they were written by RPB members. Which in itself is beyond stupid and petty in my eyes.

that's pretty much it, but I do understand their point (in a way).
They may have figured that 'Red' was code for 'Red Patch Boys'
and we were doing it to stroke our media whoring egos.
Obviously that's not the case, but some people would prefer if it was.

With My Town 2008, it's clearly bigger than any one group.

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Clearly if you listen to the lyrics of Are You Red, it's not about any one group, but the supporters experience itself.

jayeden
09-17-2008, 10:33 AM
has are you red ever been played at BMO?

jayeden
09-17-2008, 10:33 AM
has are you red ever been played at bmo?

BuSaPuNk
09-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Are you red is a anthem for the supporters for TFC. It's like a here we are we are red!
My town is more of a we love this city and this team. That is the reason why both these songs are the best for us.

Velvet Elvis
09-17-2008, 10:35 AM
has are you red ever been played at BMO?

In the parking lot ...

trane
09-17-2008, 10:37 AM
I blame Parkdale, I think he is a secret Impact supporter trying to cause tension within our ranks.

[ If enough people like the song, Our Town, will stick as our anthem, but is not it will go away-it realy is not that great of an issue]

BakaGaijin
09-17-2008, 10:38 AM
thank god they don't play any jazz at BMO Field! and no trumpets either!

Watch Ken Burns' Jazz and learn yourself.

Jazz is good shit.

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 10:39 AM
I blame Parkdale, I think he is a secret Impact supporter trying to cause tension within our ranks.

[ If enough people like the song, Our Town, will stick as our anthem, but is not it will go away-it realy is not that great of an issue]

Would it really though? I mean as long as they're blasting it through the speakers every game it's surely not going anywhere no matter if the people in the stadium enjoy it or not...

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Watch Ken Burns' Jazz and learn yourself.

Jazz is good shit.

If it wasn't for jazz, the majority of people on here would have diddly squat to listen to. :rolleyes:

trane
09-17-2008, 10:40 AM
At some point they will see it is not working and they will try something else. What happened to that Bare Naked Ladies song, are they still playing it?

Velvet Elvis
09-17-2008, 10:43 AM
If it wasn't for jazz, the majority of people on here would have diddly squat to listen to. :rolleyes:

Diddlysquat ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x115uEONev0

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Would it really though? I mean as long as they're blasting it through the speakers every game it's surely not going anywhere no matter if the people in the stadium enjoy it or not...
Judging by the majority of the comments in the original thread and on the other boards, the majority of people do. :p If 500 people out of the 20,000 think it's gay and soft, well, suck it up. It won't sound gay when we get all three stands singing it... And that's the whole point, isn't it?

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 10:45 AM
At some point they will see it is not working and they will try something else. What happened to that Bare Naked Ladies song, are they still playing it?

I believe it was requested to be removed by the groups no? As long as the groups are pushing this song, it's not going anywhere. Especially with Senior Sparky at the helm of it. ;)

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 10:46 AM
I believe it was requested to be removed by the groups no? As long as the groups are pushing this song, it's not going anywhere. Especially with Senior Sparky at the helm of it. ;)
Up with Sparky, I say. :D

Parkdale
Clearly if you listen to the lyrics of Are You Red, it's not about any one group, but the supporters experience itself.

I know that, you know that, but some people chose to base their objections on things beyond what the song was actually about.

Shaughno
Judging by the majority of the comments in the original thread and on the other boards, the majority of people do. :p If 500 people out of the 20,000 think it's gay and soft, well, suck it up. It won't sound gay when we get all three stands singing it... And that's the whole point, isn't it?

That's online. Consisiting of like you said, 500-1000 opinions. Hardly conductive of what the entire stadium thinks.

Shaughno
09-17-2008, 10:48 AM
I know that, you know that, but some people chose to base their objections on things beyond what the song was actually about.

Oh right...silly me. I forgot we're choosing songs because someone approached us. It was a moot point when Legend and RU Red were proposed originally.

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Up with Sparky, I say. :D

I agree! Up with that guy!

really what it comes down to.... the FO likes the song, so they play it.
I could do a TFC version of 'I like to Move it Move it' and it wouldn't
ever be heard at a TFC game. Unless...

http://www.moviemaker.com/images/uploads/say_anything_cusack.jpg

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 10:50 AM
That's online. Consisiting of like you said, 500-1000 opinions. Hardly conductive of what the entire stadium thinks.
Whatever, I was saying that if the opinions posted online can be taken as a sample of the crowd at BMO Field, then the vast majority like it.

Anyway... Sort of to change the topic, the whole idea of this song was that it would be one we could sing and which would sound good with the whole crowd joining in.

The recorded version of You'll Never Walk Alone, in my opinion, sounds fairly lame. But get 40,000 fans at Anfield to sing it and it's intimidating as all hell.

And hey, don't think I'm against having Are You Red (I'm getting more annoyed by the second about not being able to listen when the link is right there, it's like the damn thing is teasing me) sung/played. I just think we shouldn't throw this out the window, because a lot of people love it.

olegunnar
09-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Without even getting into any sort of value judgments of the song....

I think there was always going to be a group of people that were opposed to it for a few reasons. Mostly because it reinforces the perception of RPB Inc.

It's an RPB song, with connections made with Frew through RPB members, a lyric writing initiative posted on the old RPB board, and a video done and promoted by an RPB exec. It's professionally done and magically the FO got a copy and now plays it on the screen post match. So what does that say about the relationship between the FO and the RPBs?

Like I said I'm not making any value judgments either way. I just think it's naive (and convenient) to think that this is just about the song and the relative success and or quality of Glass Tiger.

BakaGaijin
09-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Shaugno - is that a Deftones album cover?

trane
09-17-2008, 11:24 AM
I agree! Up with that guy!

really what it comes down to.... the FO likes the song, so they play it.
I could do a TFC version of 'I like to Move it Move it' and it wouldn't
ever be heard at a TFC game. Unless...

http://www.moviemaker.com/images/uploads/say_anything_cusack.jpg

I remeber that on the old thread, there was an opinion that Sparky was Communist dictator, I dismised it at the time, but I can see that I was wrong. DOWN WITH THE SPARKY DICTATORSHIP. [ By the way I like the song and the video- My problem is with Sparky abuse of power]

ps. Parkdale is awesome. That guy rules! I'm going to name my next child Park Dale Trane in his honour.

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 11:37 AM
I think there was always going to be a group of people that were opposed to it for a few reasons. Mostly because it reinforces the perception of RPB Inc.

It's an RPB song, with connections made with Frew through RPB members, a lyric writing initiative posted on the old RPB board, and a video done and promoted by an RPB exec. It's professionally done and magically the FO got a copy and now plays it on the screen post match. So what does that say about the relationship between the FO and the RPBs?

you are missing one extremely important part of the deal.
The guy who originally approached Alan Frew, and got him interested
in the project is not an RPB member. In fact.... he's a USector member.
His board name is This Is Anfield and he was really the guy who
got this whole thing going. I just came in to make a video.

Now for the 'relation between the FO and the RPB's'..... it's not what you think.
I produced the video and showed a copy to Paul B.
He liked it enough to give it a shot. It's not some grand scheme.
It's simply the actions of a few people, from RPB. Usec AND the FO
who want to use their own talents to make cool shit happen.

olegunnar
09-17-2008, 11:43 AM
you are missing one extremely important part of the deal.
The guy who originally approached Alan Frew, and got him interested
in the project is not an RPB member. In fact.... he's a USector member.
His board name is This Is Anfield and he was really the guy who
got this whole thing going. I just came in to make a video.

Now for the 'relation between the FO and the RPB's'..... it's not what you think.
I produced the video and showed a copy to Paul B.
He liked it enough to give it a shot. It's not some grand scheme.
It's simply the actions of a few people, from RPB. Usec AND the FO
who want to use their own talents to make cool shit happen.

Whoa whoa whoa
I wasn't taking any personal shots, and I didn't take a side. I was just saying that I thought it could be, not a song issue, but a how it was done issue

MUFC_Niagara
09-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Seriously. Are people this bored that they're arguing over a song?

The song doesn't appeal to everyone, but it's still cool to have songs about our team.

Are you red?
Legend TFC
My Town
Etc. etc.

None of them are the be all, end all.

Everyone just chill out and get back to work...

Thank you Jack! As per my original post....do we seriously have a thread about this. It's times like these I am embarrassed to be associated with this board.

trane
09-17-2008, 11:46 AM
I got to say I never understand why so many people get so worked up about things like this, I do not mean you Shaging Hoes, but why get angry over it. People took it one themselves to get something done. They did it. You can disagree and propose something else, but it does not seem to be such a big deal.

jazz_trumpet
09-17-2008, 11:47 AM

jazz trumpet doesn't mean I isolate myself from all other music. Even pop for that matter. I'm not looking for Coltrane because TFC has a much different context.

Hell, if we're gonna bring up some old artist from the 80s, I'll go to my song writing class and ask Rik Emmett (formerly of Triumph) to write and or sing something. He's got much more credibility then Alan Frew.

I disagree with the song.

I disagree with the context of it's use. At the end of the game, that usually implies it is the theme song (Ala My Heart Will Go On in Titanic).

Again, I understand the effort it take to do these things. I whole heartedly appreciate that.

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 11:48 AM
^ I didn't take it as a personal shot. (directed at olegunner)
I just wanted to make it clear that it's very far from being an "RPB-initiative".

The reason why the Usector guys (from the posts I've read) like the track too,
is because one of their guys had a major hand in getting it to happen.
When we can come together, cool shit gets done, and it's better received.

v00d00daddy
09-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Whatever, I was saying that if the opinions posted online can be taken as a sample of the crowd at BMO Field, then the vast majority like it.

That's a big "if" my friend. Most of the people at the game have never heard the TFC version of the song. They look up at the board and see the video and hear the song and think that it's something done by TFC FO which is not the case.

Like I said, I'm indifferent about the song. I don't see the appeal of singing en masse with 20000 people. Then again, I don't see the appeal of the Liverpool fans singing YNWA. It doesn't mean anything to me. That doesn't mean it shouldn't mean something to others. If you like it, have fun with it. Just don't tell me that I have to sing it because it's the TFC "anthem".

Feel free to sing the song as loud and as often as you like. I just don't like the idea of the song being forced on to the masses (19000 or so fans) by the few (RPB and Usector)

For me:

1. It shouldn't be played on the big screen.
2. If it is going to be played, it should be done before the game. If the people who love the song want to sing it....show up early and belt it out until your heart's content.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 11:50 AM
trumpet: But you're saying that in your opinion, we were wrong to even make the attempt? This may come as a shock, but your opinion is not the be-all and end-all, and the song isn't going to be tossed out the window.

Constructive criticism is helpful, mud-slinging isn't. Which is why I hate election campaigns, but that's another rant for another forum...

trane
09-17-2008, 11:51 AM
I have to agree, that I do not understand why its played after the game, it would make more sense before the game.

Jazz Trumpet I am all for A Love Supreme being the TFC anthem.

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 11:52 AM
I have to agree, that I do not understand why its played after the game, it would make more sense before the game.

I really like the P.S. you added in that post on the last page. Thanks trane!

flatpicker
09-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Jazz Trumpet I am all for A Love Supreme being the TFC anthem.

Robbie Williams at BMO?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WGOoKbZxmD8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WGOoKbZxmD8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Ugh.

Just ugh.

Might as well start handing out Take That CDs at the gates, what a crappy band they were.

trane
09-17-2008, 11:56 AM
I really like the P.S. you added in that post on the last page. Thanks trane!

I am not sure which one you are talking about, remember your pages are different from ours.

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 11:56 AM
I am not sure which one you are talking about, remember your pages are different from ours.

the one with the John Cusack picture.

rocker
09-17-2008, 11:58 AM
the more songs the better. that contest held last year that produced Are you Red and Legend TFC was awesome.. it should be done again.. in 20 years we'll have a whole body of work

If Rik Emmett wants to write something, go to it. it'd be the first good thing he's written in years ;) But whether he has more credibility than Alan Frew is irrelevant. The Barenaked Ladies have more credibility than Alan Frew (well, until the kids album and the coke bust) and their TFC song was weak, in my opinion. But if they played it at the stadium I wouldn't complain. I'm sure somebody likes it.

All of these TFC related songs sure make more sense than playing a Ramstein song before the match ;)

trane
09-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Robbie Williams at BMO?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WGOoKbZxmD8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WGOoKbZxmD8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nice. But for the record, I have never even heard that song. I meant;

CpID_ZhA3Uw

nobodybeatsthewiz
09-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Shaugno - is that a Deftones album cover?

(me, obviously speaking for shaughno) why yes, yes it is. and please.....feel free to help yourself to my seats in 112 whenever the moon hits you the right way

trane
09-17-2008, 12:00 PM
the one with the John Cusack picture.

Another example of your dictatorial tendencies. Nice.

MUFC_Niagara
09-17-2008, 12:04 PM
jazz trumpet doesn't mean I isolate myself from all other music. Even pop for that matter. I'm not looking for Coltrane because TFC has a much different context.

Hell, if we're gonna bring up some old artist from the 80s, I'll go to my song writing class and ask Rik Emmett (formerly of Triumph) to write and or sing something. He's got much more credibility then Alan Frew.

I disagree with the song.

I disagree with the context of it's use. At the end of the game, that usually implies it is the theme song (Ala My Heart Will Go On in Titanic).

Again, I understand the effort it take to do these things. I whole heartedly appreciate that.

Are you fucking kidding me right now? I'll be taking a break from these forums for a while. I'll see you all at the matches.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 12:04 PM
the more songs the better. that contest held last year that produced Are you Red and Legend TFC was awesome.. it should be done again.. in 20 years we'll have a whole body of work

If Rik Emmett wants to write something, go to it. it'd be the first good thing he's written in years ;) But whether he has more credibility than Alan Frew is irrelevant. The Barenaked Ladies have more credibility than Alan Frew (well, until the kids album and the coke bust) and their TFC song was weak, in my opinion. But if they played it at the stadium I wouldn't complain. I'm sure somebody likes it.

All of these TFC related songs sure make more sense than playing a Ramstein song before the match ;)I thought the BNL song was fairly half-decent actually, and kids at the game probably liked it... before the coke arrest, naturally.;)

But anyway, I completely agree with you about having as many songs as possible. I started a thread in the members area about possibly putting out a full TFC album 5-10 years down the road, I think that would be a really cool idea.

TheHollister
09-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Jeez, I went to bed last night and this hadn't even hit page two!

Personally, I can't stand the song - I find it really irritating. But everyone's got different tastes in music, and you can't please everyone. I'm not thrilled with the song, but I appreciate the trouble that went into making it (and Parky's video footage is awesome).
This season: Some dude from the 80s.
Next season: Let's get the Heatskores back together. :D

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 12:13 PM
This season: Some dude from the 80s.

were you even alive in the 80's?

:cool:

TheHollister
09-17-2008, 12:14 PM
were you even alive in the 80's?

:cool:
I existed!

Nomad
09-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Next season: Let's get the Heatskores back together. :D

Let's not and say we didn't. ;)

flatpicker
09-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Next season: Let's get the Bedsores back together. :D

what kind of name is that for a band???

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 12:19 PM
I existed!

but what is existence?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Bm8qMU3yL.jpg

TheHollister
09-17-2008, 12:20 PM
but what is existence?

I hadn't been popped out yet. :D

nobodybeatsthewiz
09-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Are you fucking kidding me right now? I'll be taking a break from these forums for a while. I'll see you all at the matches.

LOL! tim, dont let your brain explode, man

ParadymeTFC
09-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Too bad the man isn't around to rewrite the song for us.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZtFnpwjyfQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZtFnpwjyfQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BTW the new version of My Town is WAY too fast, it will never work.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 12:32 PM
but what is existence?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Bm8qMU3yL.jpg

Ecresez l'infame.

I need four non-quoted characters, apparently.

werewolf
09-17-2008, 12:51 PM
How did I know when I left last night that by the time I came back this would reach multiple pages?

http://www.linux-france.org/prj/jargonf/fig/ROFLMAO.jpg

Roogsy
09-17-2008, 01:15 PM
LOL!

I just signed on and found it had gone 7 pages! Hilarious.

Listen...everybody knew that this was not going to be people's favourite song. Shoot...I am quite certain it isn't Parky's favourite song. It certainly isn't mine. BUt that's not the point. The point is to have a song for TFC. I personally LOVE the songs that RPBs created last year. "Are you red?", "Legend TFC" and one that has been repeatedly playing on my Ipod, "12th of May". I would love to hear those songs playing on the speakers at BMO, but because they were written by RPBs, regardless of how good they are, people will reject them.

So then people go off and get an independant singer to do something and people still hate it. You can't please everybody, so why try?

And nobody is trying to make this an anthem. If anything, that point has been made clear over and over...

and over.

Like I said. If you guys want something else blaring from the speakers, step up and get it done. Otherwise...it's all fine and dandy when you are sitting on your asses getting nothing done and putting down the efforts of someone else.

AL-MO
09-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Its not my favorite song, but I still sing it. Would be great to see a few thousand more joining in.

BakaGaijin
09-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Too bad the man isn't around to rewrite the song for us.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZtFnpwjyfQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZtFnpwjyfQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BTW the new version of My Town is WAY too fast, it will never work.

He did write a song for us..........you might be familiar with it:

"No Winning, No Cry"

I think it was a chart topper back in the day.

mclaren
09-17-2008, 01:25 PM
I really hate the song (My Town) but I do respect the work, effort, and time put into doing this - it's not an easy thing.

Hitcho
09-17-2008, 03:03 PM
I love it - superb job on the song/video. It'd be great if an anthem type song took off at BMO Field that all 20,000 of us could join in with, and if this happens to be it, then that'd be awesome. If not, something else will come along in time as the club and its fans grow and develop. YNWA was certainly not around in LFC's second season, I'll tell you that!

In the meantime, this is a great effort to be going on with. Thanks to Alan Frew and the RPBs who collaborated on it. Superb effort.

Oh, and I'll sing my lungs out on this song if it ever takes off. :D:D:D:D

Roogsy
09-17-2008, 03:20 PM
And to be clear, I think it is disingenuous of some people to say I was giving the OP grief because he didn't like the song. I don't particularly care either way if he does or doesn't. But if you pay attention, you see that he didn't just say "I don't like the song", he said "don't play it". There is a difference.

That would be like someone telling us "we don't like Forza". Fair enough. But if they came to us and said "don't sing it" what would we say? Would we not give them a hearty "Who are ya!"?

For me, this is better than having them play the latest Britney or New Kids song. Shoot...at least Glass Tiger wrote their own songs and played their own instruments. Don't like 80s music? Oh well...I am sure kids born in the 2000s will grow up and say "Black Stripes? Who the hell are they? That 7 Nations chant sucks..."...

Hitcho
09-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Don't like 80s music? Oh well...I am sure kids born in the 2000s will grow up and say "Black Stripes? Who the hell are they? That 7 Nations chant sucks..."...

LMFAO!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

FluSH
09-17-2008, 03:38 PM
I am dissapointed this thread is not 15 pages by now... we are getting soft around here!

TheHollister
09-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Don't like 80s music?
It's no different than any other decade. I love some songs and can't stand others.

Hitcho
09-17-2008, 03:42 PM
This is another TRN issue - there's split opinion on people loving and hating the same thing. The bottom line is that if enough people like it enough and want it enough, My Town will become a TFC anthem. If not, it'll never take off and will fade out but in time will be replaced by something else that comes along.

RealG-TFC
09-17-2008, 03:46 PM
The song sucks imo.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 04:56 PM
The song sucks imo.
http://coreygilmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

alexintoronto
09-17-2008, 05:02 PM
I Hate Everything!

trane
09-17-2008, 06:00 PM
I hate everything timex infinety.

Flush, what are you talking about, this thread would be 20 pages long, if we were real supporters.

flatpicker
09-17-2008, 06:37 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/brushstroke-man/bump.jpg

...because this thread has fallen into second place on the forum...
I demand it gets discussed more!

!

Hustle
09-17-2008, 06:48 PM
I have alot of bitches about this song, but it is something and thats better than not having it...All the work that went into it is a real accomplishment... good on ya, but we need a song with more passion...this one is disjointed and anyone from outside T.O cant honestly be into singing My Town...Its more like a tourist song for the city of Toronto with a couple references to TFC.

Roogsy
09-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Want a song with passion? Legend TFC!

netsan
09-17-2008, 06:51 PM
For the record My Town was released in 1991..That makes it a 90's song, not an 80's song --- if that really matters.

Believe me that a lot of long-winded discussions went on here last year talking about this song or that one. There was the "Sailing" versus "My Town" threads that went back and forth regularly. In the end, things looked like they were stale mated. Ultimately, Alan Frew was contacted and he was flattered that we were suggesting My Town as a TFC "anthem" (what a hot potato word that is).

After Alan signed onto the forum he challenged us to rework the lyrics and see what happens. We busted our brains sweating every line like we were writing the Declaration of Independence... "Should it be Hogtown boys, Red Patch Boys, or Downtown boys?" " Should it be "Queen, King or Club?" And on and on it went. The "final" lyrics were communicated to Alan and the idea seemed to dissolve.

Little did we know that Parkdale and Alan were working hard at this all this time.

They turned our ideas into reality! Alan took some of our suggestions, and added some new ones.

The TFC Story is yet unwritten, however, we're writing the first chapter boys. Everyone's little contribution adds to the Legend of TFC.

Please keep the creativity coming. We can do great things together!

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 07:08 PM
OK, problem...

Listened to are you red, and it says about the noise coming from the south end...

the NEE have reason not to appreciate that line. :p

Other than that though, damn good song... and sounds easy enough that with my embarrassingly limited guitar skills I could play it! :D

Whoop
09-17-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm not a big fan of TFC Legend or Are You Red and feel that My Town is the best in a make do situation. You're never going to get EVERYONE to agree on ONE song. Same with the chants.

But the point of the matter is if any of these songs is song by thousands of people at once, it would sound pretty cool. Hell, if you got 5,000 people singing a Bon Jovi Jock Jamit would sound cool.

Instead we argue about semantics over this song and that chant. Much like just bounce, just sing dammit. Who gives a fuck.

Whatever song is chosen should be done at the beginning of the game for maximum impact... and no matter what song it was I would participate.

Disclaimer: I refuse to join in the chant "This is our house" though. Yes, I'm a hypocrite. :D

greatwhitenorf
09-18-2008, 01:08 AM
It's got to be a singable song, doesn't it. And this one is. It could be so much worse. We could have been stuck with David Coverdale as a fan and have to sing some hysterically overblown Whitesnake tune, like those poor meerkats have to listen to in the latest Telus ads.

Funny, when Glass Tiger first came out, I thought they were crap. But they kept hanging around, doing their thing and little by little, they've grown on me.

While browsing the galvanized nuts and bolts bins at Home Depot, I caught myself humming along to Don't Forget Me playing on in-store sound system a few weeks back. Still holds up well so many years later.

And now this song for TFC and its fans. Culture beginning to creep in around the team and the game here in Toronto. Personally, I was hoping we'd find a way to work with Don Henley singing "...kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down..." from Dirty Laundry.

But this is much better. A good song, written by a good football fan, for a great club. Turn it up.

And jazztrumpet, why not stick to watching TFC games on the big screen at Chez Beatnik?

tfc-th
09-18-2008, 07:15 AM
Having now heard "Are You Red?", I think it's offal (if you'll forgive the pun). In my opinion, for someone who might not have heard punk before it could be stimulating and new, I suppose (although you missed an "OI!" or three in there). For someone who's never heard any football anthem throughout the world, the breaks for highlights and sounds of crowds cheering might be original. If I heard it played at a match, I'd think, "Oh, I don't like this song", go back to sipping my beer and would have forgotten about it within the span of a fruit fly's quickie because I'd be excited to be at the match. Just like I did for all that warmup music they played last season that I thought was crap.

But I sincerely thank you for doing it, posting it, and putting it out there for people to love or hate as they will. You donated your time and effort to the cause. It's awesome that you did and I TOTALLY honour that. I will NEVER put you down for doing it. I'm an amateur musician (drums, orchestral percussion, some bass/guitar, etc.), and I dig that you took up thy lute and strummed. I, personally, don't like the song. However, I also don't spend my days and nights posting endless debates on message boards about how bad it sucks or how much I wish they would play my preferred song at the footy match because the other one sucks.

How about appreciating the efforts of others without making this into a huge issue? Whether it's recorded by Alan Frew, Edith Piaf, or Edith Bunker, what difference does it make? Are you going to sell off your season seats because Alan Frew donated time and effort and talent (whether you like him or not, dude's got game) to show his support for our club? Am I going to stay home and refuse to support TFC because they might play "Are You Red?" before the starting lineup is announced? C'mon. You don't like "My Town". I don't like "Are You Red?". But I'm still going to the match. And you'll still hate "My Town" and I'll still dislike "Are You Red?".

Maybe "My Town" will inspire Carlos Ruiz to leap into action next match... but I doubt it. ;)

Nomad
09-18-2008, 08:18 AM
In my opinion, for someone who might not have heard punk before it could be stimulating and new, I suppose (although you missed an "OI!" or three in there).

I'm not going to criticize the song, but punk? Maybe Brit Pop, maybe Mod, i even heard a Beatles influence...but punk? Me thinks not....

RPB_Brantford_08
09-20-2008, 05:35 PM

nuts to heavy mudic at football matches...go buy a cd of retard bands like ac/dc or metalica shite if you wanna listen to crap like that, there was a TFC song by a local band that should have been used.

joga
09-20-2008, 09:08 PM

LMAO!!!
this has gotta be one of the funniest and delusional posts i have ever read on this site... and there is a ton to choose from.

wakey wakey! eggs and bakey!

joga
09-20-2008, 09:22 PM
personally, the song makes me wanna stick a knife in my ear when i hear it... that being said, i can appreciate the effort that went into the song and the video.
wake up peeps, you gotta realize that not everything TFC is golden.. like this song!

although, it is all we got right now... until some real talented canadian singer/songwriter comes to the front with his/her own gem.

coisty1966
09-21-2008, 09:09 AM

Alan Frew is a bigtime Rangers supporter....quit hatin' on the bluenose! :wink5:

canadian_bhoy
09-21-2008, 09:21 AM
what a waste of a song!!!!!

this should sooooooooooooooooo...be played at BMO FIELD!!!:canada:

I don't think the song is "wasted" but it is severly underappreciated.

Are you red is a great tune and should be played at BMO.

J .
09-21-2008, 10:33 PM
i like my town ive always liked ynwa even though i am not a liverpool supporter and i think we could make my town our own anthem. we should sing it before and after games.

best of anything put forward and something that could stick

flatpicker
09-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Eddie Vedder has joined the list of musicians writing songs for his favourite team.

"All the Way" - Chicago Cubs tribute song by Eddie Vedder.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CqHTScDBsDU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CqHTScDBsDU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Up The TFC
09-22-2008, 12:27 PM
For me, this is better than having them play the latest Britney or New Kids song.

This is actually what I think part of the chant problem is - if more of them were based on current 'hits' (yes, even mainstream ones) then more of the crowd could pick them up right off the bat.

Parkdale
09-22-2008, 12:31 PM
This is actually what I think part of the chant problem is - if more of them were based on current 'hits' (yes, even mainstream ones) then more of the crowd could pick them up right off the bat.

personally.... I think dumbing down the music to fit the majority of people's musical taste is a mistake. So many people see music as background filler (aka work radio) and that's not good enough for me. I care about my music, and would much rather have a good piece of obscure music over something that everyone knows. I honestly think My Town is a good song, and the fact that it was very popular at one time only helps it spread. The idea of singing something like...BNL's If I had a Million Dollars just because people know it makes me wince.

Up The TFC
09-22-2008, 12:40 PM
I honestly think My Town is a good song, and the fact that it was very popular at one time only helps it spread. The idea of singing something like...BNL's If I had a Million Dollars just because people know it makes me wince.

yeah, in truth, I guess I'm talking about something else.

Humorously reworking current hits works better for the spur-of-the-moment chants that pop up across the course of the game, rather than an official or semi-official 'anthem'.

Parkdale
09-22-2008, 12:53 PM
reworking tacky songs that everyone knows works well too.

like this...

BOOM BOOM BOOM... ah let me hear you say TO.... TEE OHHHHHH

EBYHiOsjxS8

v00d00daddy
09-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Eddie Vedder has joined the list of musicians writing songs for his favourite team.

"All the Way" - Chicago Cubs tribute song by Eddie Vedder.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CqHTScDBsDU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CqHTScDBsDU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

WOW! It's not even fair to put this in the same thread as My Town.

That's the way it's done. Damn. I don't even like baseball and the song got me. Granted they have way more history than TFC but still. That song IS an anthem.

You think Eddie Vedder likes soccer?

KdotOdot
09-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Isn't Eddie Vedder from Seattle? What cunt.

I think the song suits the club. It's sucks, there's no kick to it, and you feel dirty and anoyed after it's over.

flatpicker
09-22-2008, 01:55 PM
I believe Eddie Vedder was born in a Chicago suburb

v00d00daddy
09-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Isn't Eddie Vedder from Seattle? What cunt.

I think the song suits the club. It's sucks, there's no kick to it, and you feel dirty and anoyed after it's over.

Nice.

Don't forget that Alan Frew was born in Scotland and moved here when he was 16. Then he wrote a song about Scotland and then re-wrote it about TFC.

flatpicker
09-22-2008, 01:59 PM
hahaha

P.S. - Eddie Vedder is awesome! PJ rocks!!!

Hitcho
09-22-2008, 02:08 PM
I think everyone's missing the point here. Anthems aren't picked up front, they just get taken up by the masses without it really being planned. YNWA is a classic example (see below). The point is, we could all choose individually or in groups what we want to be our "anthem", but it's what rolls around in the stands on game days that will be the deciding, and the only factor in that selection.

Anthems aren't picked, they grow. :canada::canada::canada:

"Back in the 1960's and before, the PA at Anfield used to blare out the current top ten in the build up to the match; with the current number one track being played as the last before the teams were announced. On 14th November 1963, Gerry and The Pacemakers shot into the number one spot with You'll Never Walk Alone, staying there for 4 weeks. So as was the custom with the Kopites of yesteryear, they'd join in and sing along to their favourite tracks of the time. The Kop would sing along to You'll Never Walk Alone as it was bellowed out over the PA, before welcoming the team onto the pitch.

On 12th December 1963, Gerry and The Pacemakers lost their number one slot to The Beatles, with their "I Want To Hold Your Hand"; hence You'll Never Walk Alone was no longer the last song to be played before the game. The travelling Kop began to sing it at away games during this time, and on it's demotion from the number one spot, requests were made to play the song anyway before the game at Anfield. The Kop began to sing You'll Never Walk Alone of their own accord, before the club agreed to revert to the trend of playing of it just before the teams were announced at every game. From that, an anthem was born.

By early in 1964, The Kop had it's official anthem, and it has been sung at every game since. That ladies and gentlemen, is how it all began."

http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=66228 (full post)

flatpicker
09-22-2008, 02:37 PM
I think everyone's missing the point here...

I can assure you that not everyone is missing the point!

Hitcho
09-22-2008, 02:49 PM
I can assure you that not everyone is missing the point!

Ok, not everyone, I apologise! But the point still stands - these things just develop on their own over time, they're not pre-determined.

stretchthetruth
09-22-2008, 05:25 PM
lets do that... maybe our anthem will become "i kissed a girl (and i liked it)"!!

Smuttynose
09-22-2008, 05:42 PM
lets do that... maybe our anthem will become "i kissed a girl (and i liked it)"!!

are you george b in disguise?? :noidea:

Boris
09-22-2008, 05:43 PM
are you george b in disguise?? :noidea:

ha ha ha ha ha...thats what i was thinking....

RPB_Brantford_08
09-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Alan Frew is a bigtime Rangers supporter....quit hatin' on the bluenose! :wink5:

if thats true..get rid of it!!!;)

TheHollister
09-22-2008, 05:49 PM
"I scored a goal and I liked it"?

Roogsy
09-22-2008, 09:22 PM
reworking tacky songs that everyone knows works well too.

like this...

BOOM BOOM BOOM... ah let me hear you say TO.... TEE OHHHHHH

EBYHiOsjxS8

This song does nothing but bring back AWESOME memories.

The 90s were jumpin'... :thumbsup: Great Hip Hop, great dance. Just plain awesomeness!

joga
09-22-2008, 10:18 PM
I think everyone's missing the point here. Anthems aren't picked up front, they just get taken up by the masses without it really being planned. YNWA is a classic example (see below). The point is, we could all choose individually or in groups what we want to be our "anthem", but it's what rolls around in the stands on game days that will be the deciding, and the only factor in that selection.

Anthems aren't picked, they grow. :canada::canada::canada:

"Back in the 1960's and before, the PA at Anfield used to blare out the current top ten in the build up to the match; with the current number one track being played as the last before the teams were announced. On 14th November 1963, Gerry and The Pacemakers shot into the number one spot with You'll Never Walk Alone, staying there for 4 weeks. So as was the custom with the Kopites of yesteryear, they'd join in and sing along to their favourite tracks of the time. The Kop would sing along to You'll Never Walk Alone as it was bellowed out over the PA, before welcoming the team onto the pitch.

On 12th December 1963, Gerry and The Pacemakers lost their number one slot to The Beatles, with their "I Want To Hold Your Hand"; hence You'll Never Walk Alone was no longer the last song to be played before the game. The travelling Kop began to sing it at away games during this time, and on it's demotion from the number one spot, requests were made to play the song anyway before the game at Anfield. The Kop began to sing You'll Never Walk Alone of their own accord, before the club agreed to revert to the trend of playing of it just before the teams were announced at every game. From that, an anthem was born.

By early in 1964, The Kop had it's official anthem, and it has been sung at every game since. That ladies and gentlemen, is how it all began."

sorry for the long quote... had to

i agree with everything above. although some of us are not seeing the point.
a teams anthem is not made in the clubs second season.. or was it the first!? it takes years.. many years.. many more painstaking years - and then a song will find us.

let the song pick the masses...
btw, please no vedder bashing on here. this applies to everyone! thank-you