PDA

View Full Version : B.Knight: Mayor calls for grass

denime
09-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Knight: Mayor calls for grass

One of the great things about large, organized groups of soccer fans that just happen to include bloggers and journalists? Every now and then, they serve up a scoop!

Read more (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080916.WBsoccerblog20080916104430/WBStory/WBsoccerblog)

AL-MO
09-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Hold on a sec there....a blog broke this story?

BULLSHIT...the credit has to go to Parkdale.

C'mon Ben, at least give him a mention. He has been doing great work for us all year!

Roogsy
09-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Yeah...we know Parky's the real legs behind this story!

And what sexy legs they are!

James17930
09-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Which RPG was it who got the shave?

greatwhitenorf
09-16-2008, 09:34 PM
We also got him to tell us during a Maple Leafs baseball game at Christie Pits that the city plans to add 5,000 seats to BMO with an upper deck on the east side.

But holding back on the beer-filled wading pool at the north end.

billyfly
09-16-2008, 10:26 PM
I really must thank that hat-wearing weirdo Parkdale for this fine "scoop", Ben for reporting it in the larger media and I guess I should thank Mr. Miller next time I see him (kids go to same school) instead of complaining about my property taxes.

sulfur
09-17-2008, 06:35 AM
The RPG was Itsycora (I think that was her board name at least)

Fort York Redcoat
09-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Uh oh. Please Parky don't hurt him. I like Ben's blogs.

But I think he owes you a beer or sumfin.

Ben Knight
09-17-2008, 07:17 AM
Hey, folks! I've messaged Parkdale, and I'll get him full credit as soon as I can. Just sorting out the whole pseudonym thing.

I did not know Parkdale shot the piece. The link I was sent didn't give a credit, so I plugged the blog -- which I'd been meaning to do for some time.

It was a lovely piece of work, and I promise to get the credit thing straightened out.

Onward!

CretanBull
09-17-2008, 07:19 AM
^Not knowing that you post here, I just posted a comment on the article about Parkdale being responsible for the video.

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 08:10 AM
I just talked with Ben.

my take on it.... Ben is one of us, and I'm proud to have shot something he deems to be newsworthy. Getting credit for the scoop in the anonymous blogosphere isn't that big a thing for me. The people who matter know where it's from.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-17-2008, 08:20 AM
I just talked with Ben.

my take on it.... Ben is one of us, and I'm proud to have shot something he deems to be newsworthy.Getting credit for the scoop in the anonymous blogosphere isn't that big a thing for me. . The people who matter know where it's from.

your a whore you know it!:D

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 08:34 AM
your a whore you know it!:D

I've achieved a level of media whoredome few will ever experience.

TFC Cityboy
09-17-2008, 08:37 AM
I just talked with Ben.

my take on it.... Ben is one of us, and I'm proud to have shot something he deems to be newsworthy. Getting credit for the scoop in the anonymous blogosphere isn't that big a thing for me. The people who matter know where it's from.

good attitude,mate. If we get the grass maybe we can rename BMO Field Parkdale Park....

Cantstoptherock
09-17-2008, 08:45 AM
I wonder if grass will cost more or less than what was spent to renovate his office.

OneLoveOneEric
09-17-2008, 09:01 AM
I love that football is the only thing he can keep a promise about.
Shows his priorities are straight :)

MisterMacphisto
09-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Toronto is so close to getting this so right.

This is so true and I echo the sentiment. The whole TFC thing is really good so far, but its just this close to being GREAT.

A GRASS pitch next year, more specific supporters sections, a DP... I will be in soccer heaven. If this happens, I will reward TFC with even more merchandise purchases, concession purchases, and supporting TFC sponsors and writing them to let them know I'm buying their stuff because they support TFC.

So close to greatness.

SweetOwnGoal
09-17-2008, 09:35 AM
For the record, I never claimed that it was me that shot the vid. When I originally posted it on Out of Left Field I actually wasn't 100 per cent sure it was Parkdale's work so I just said it was "amateur video."

We're well read, so I kind of had an idea that it would get picked up by the so-called MSM. It might have even been the point.

In my follow up yesterday I gave full credit to Parkdale, as I was sure that it was him that shot it.

http://neatesager.blogspot.com/2008/09/all-we-are-saying-is-give-us-some-grass.html

As an aside, although it was not credited, the topic was briefly brought up on the Fan590's The Gameplan yesterday. So, Mike's little vid is spreading...

Duane

Parkdale
09-17-2008, 09:43 AM
^ hey, I didn't know that was your blog.

Like I've said before, the blogosphere spreads things around beyond anyone's control. I'm just happy that I made something that other people considered to be 'newsworthy'.

cheers,

Stugatzo
09-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Looks like The Star is doing the story too.
Mayor has reiterated what I posted here in the wake of Parky's great vid...that is that to get grass at BMO, a heap of other things would have to happen, but it would be great to get it. There have been some very preliminary talks to see if we can make it work...very very preliminary.
Don't expect engineering miracles, though.
Stuart

TFC_Toon
09-17-2008, 06:19 PM
We also got him to tell us during a Maple Leafs baseball game at Christie Pits that the city plans to add 5,000 seats to BMO with an upper deck on the east side.

But holding back on the beer-filled wading pool at the north end.

Interesting, but the expansion logically should be at the North end to close the stadium off. I hope if this is announced we as a group will have first crack at uniting all RPB's, hey with 5000 seats, all supporter groups.

Some good vibe on the grass, expansion and DP fronts though, can only hope it all comes to fruition.:)

Oh, and Parkdale is the man!

denime
09-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Interesting, but the expansion logically should be at the North end to close the stadium off. I hope if this is announced we as a group will have first crack at uniting all RPB's, hey with 5000 seats, all supporter groups.

Some good vibe on the grass, expansion and DP fronts though, can only hope it all comes to fruition.:)

Oh, and Parkdale is the man!

But if you want to make money,you can charge more for east expansion with private boxes than north supporters sections,now you do the math,more $$$ or more logical solution.Wonder what MLSE and City of TO will do,hmmmmm?

wzhxvy
09-17-2008, 06:49 PM
But if you want to make money,you can charge more for east expansion with private boxes than north supporters sections,now you do the math,more $$$ or more logical solution.Wonder what MLSE and City of TO will do,hmmmmm?

Yeah makes sense but I am still hoping they do the north end with another supporters section inclusive of a hottub or something :-) I would hate to see another deck on the east end, but I will get used to it I guess....I think they would de-value the west side seats by putting a second deck but who is giving up their seats...no one

Roogsy
09-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Expansion will only happen if the East stands get additional seating and if there is demand for them.

There is no way MLSE will spend money to have $200/year seats added.

flatpicker
09-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Expansion will only happen if the East stands get additional seating and if there is demand for them.

There is no way MLSE will spend money to have $200/year seats added.

I would have to think that a section of $200 seats would start making their money back in the second year.

I mean, how much does it cost to snap a bit of lego together???

wzhxvy
09-17-2008, 07:57 PM
^ And the beers sales would be through the roof ! lol

Roogsy
09-17-2008, 08:01 PM
LOL!

You mean the beer sales that are non-existant because the supporters sections are dry?

bgnewf
09-18-2008, 08:09 AM
There is a piece in the Toronto Star today that will definitely take the wind out of the "Grass pitch at BMO Field" talk...

http://http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/501277

A couple of selected quotes and some analysis.....

So how soon will TFC play its home games on grass? Not anytime soon. MLSE hasn't approached the city about a make-over for the municipally owned stadium, but Miller insists the city is "working on" converting BMO Field to grass ... eventually....TFC chief operating officer Tom Anselmi said a new playing surface isn't a priority for the club this year. "It's not something that's hot on the radar," he said. "It's something we've thought about only because we're asked the question."

I cannot believe that MLSE/TFC has not formally approached the city about investigating installing a grass pitch at no point so far. This backs up what a lot of others have been saying about this issue on this board, namely that the recent talk about grass is tied to season ticket renewals and nothing more. Great way to treat your fans MLSE. So the only reason MLSE is even thinking about this is because we fans are asking about it??? What kind of idiots are running the show there if they are only asking the question now about turf versus grass????

"People are always telling me how good it is that they can go (to BMO Field) in January and February and practise," said deputy mayor Joe Pantalone, chair of the Exhibition Place board. "No doubt a lot of pro teams would like to play on grass. It's the roots of the game. (But) you can't put in a bubble and expect grass to survive." Pantalone ruled out erecting a bubble at Lamport Stadium, saying it would need extensive renovation to suit a BMO-style bubble.

Neither the city nor MLSE have begun researching the cost of converting BMO Field to grass and building another turf field for year-round public use. Pantalone said he'd consider the idea if a third party, say, MLSE, offered to pay, but insists the city won't fund a new field at BMO if the current one suits the city's needs. "We can't direct money we don't have to something that's nice, but not fundamental to playing soccer," Pantalone said. "It's a nice thing to do, but who's going to pay for it?"

So to parse this out...

1) MLSE/TFC has done absolutely nothing about investigating grass in BMO Field at this point with the city....Not a god damned thing
2) MLSE/TFC does not consider it a priority
3) Lamport is a non starter for the city when it comes to putting up the bubble
4) The city won't pay a dime for this retrofit
5) The city would only entertain this if MLSE/TFC will pay for a facility that serves the same purpose as BMO Field in the off season with a bubble.

I think the blame here lies squarely on the feet of Anselmi and Mo, and not with Miller. BMO Field is a city owned facility run by a city in a budget crisis. If there has been absolutely no approach made to the city by TFC about installing grass and paying for it and putting up a year round facility for the city somewhere else then how can Miller be blamed for this???

Anselmi should be ashamed of himself if he does not see this as the number one priority for the team. His job is to ensure that the club is in a position to prosper in years to come. Can he really tell me that he has higher priorities than a grass pitch?

The entire organization should be ashamed of themselves. This is pretty insulting to the fans if you ask me...On one hand playing up the possibility of getting grass into the field and on the other hand doing absolutely nothing about actually making it happen.

Anselmi and Mo can go fuck themselves! Lying bastards.

Barbarez
09-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Whos the big idiot here newf, really. 99% of our so called supporters will still flock to the ticket office to renew their seasons even though these past two years we've heard nothing but lies from our fire cunt manager to MLSE. Grass? You're fucking kidding me, this team is here to make money for already wealthy people, thats fucking it. Stop expecting so much from this shitty organization who doesnt give a crap about me and you.

Beach_Red
09-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Whos the big idiot here newf, really. 99% of our so called supporters will still flock to the ticket office to renew their seasons even though these past two years we've heard nothing but lies from our fire cunt manager to MLSE. Grass? You're fucking kidding me, this team is here to make money for already wealthy people, thats fucking it. Stop expecting so much from this shitty organization who doesnt give a crap about me and you.

Well, it's an organization that likes to make a profit and if more profit can be made with grass, they'll get grass. Better players will sign if there's grass, and that means more games so that means more profit.

Don't let articles in the paper with quotes from local politicians get you too upset - it's all spin.

It's a process, not a one-step operation. This is a risk-adverse organization. They had no real desire to get into soccer and only did it when the opportunity was too good to turn down - and no one else stepped in to do it.

But like I said in the other thread, consider who MLSE would replace Mo with. A total yes-man who just does what they say. It looks like Mo has actually talked to the FO guys and realizes that they have to be pushed into this step by step. If you want to start over at square one again with a new guy, fine, but consider that what you see in the press isn't nearly all that's really going on.

wzhxvy
09-18-2008, 09:33 AM
I am not surprised I was right about Mo, and his gum flapping about grass but little action. Its time to promote Mo to President. Everytime he figures out he cant do a job, he gets a promotion.

Parkdale
09-18-2008, 09:35 AM

so have you renewed your tickets or not?

Barbarez
09-18-2008, 09:56 AM
I never had seasons

netsan
09-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Suddenly getting a grass field is not MLSE's top priority! WTF! Talk about jerking around your customers! Geez... They just spent a fortune on the scoreboard at the ACC and are expanding the AAC... Can we ask for a little drop in the bucket for their other team?

I hope MLS holds off on the Maurice Edu transfer money (2/3 of 5 million) and designates it to provide a natural grass pitch...

Wow! What a joke!