PDA

View Full Version : Star designated player in Toronto FC's plans for next season

johnmolinaro
09-15-2008, 04:46 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/09/15/torontofc-designated-player.html

Take JC's guarantee for what it's worth.

John Molinaro
CBCSports.ca

Lucky Strike
09-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Bleh, you beat me to it; I was just going to post this. Sounds promising... JC is a straight shooter, there's nothing to gain by raising our hopes.

Batman
09-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Good to hear. I believe they'll try. $ talk, and if we don't change the turf maybe even more $ than normal will have to talk.

ensco
09-15-2008, 05:04 PM
see my signature, for my opinion

trane
09-15-2008, 05:15 PM
I like the talk, now lets see if he can back it up with some walk.

Bars92
09-15-2008, 05:21 PM
let the speculation begin..

GabrielHurl
09-15-2008, 05:23 PM
If we keep Ruiz, isn't he a DP?

RealG-TFC
09-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Was there not a guarantee from Mo last year too?

wzhxvy
09-15-2008, 06:03 PM
I should go to my boss tomorrow and tell him that I have a 5 year plan to become a good employee, and that I will start coming into work on time next year...translation, we should have had a DP this year. I gotta say, Carver knows how to get his name in the paper. Next he will gurantee playoffs next year.

Anyways, if they are going to get a DP, I want to be pleasantly surprised...if I am underwhelmed or hear turf excuses, I am going to send TFC an email about Carver's short ties.

Keyman
09-15-2008, 06:15 PM
This is nothing but good news, and I'm happy to hear that we are looking at players who want to be here for an extended period of time.

As for guesses, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Canadian player fill the spot. The only problem I see is that we wouldn't bring in a Canadian striker, because there's not one out there worth a DP. However, a player like Atiba Hutchinson could fit the role; I don't know what his contract status is though.

Hutch would be a very good leader on the left or in the centre of midfield, with Guevara in front of him.

------New Striker----Barrett------------
--------------Guevara------------------
--Hutch----------------------Ricketts--
--------------Robinson------------------
-Brennan-New CB--James/Velez/Marshall---Wynne--
---------------Sutton------------------

That's decent, depending on who the new players would be.

wzhxvy
09-15-2008, 06:19 PM
As I said before, I was impressed with Koslowski (spelling ?), and ofcourse JDG (but thats a dream)....

Keyman
09-15-2008, 06:23 PM
I think that Michael Klukowski is out of reach. He's improved quite a bit over the past few years, and he's moving up the ladder in Europe. I spoke to him a while ago, and he seemed pretty set on Europe.

Atiba is a Toronto boy, very versatile, and a leader on the field. He would be a dream DP IMO.

kelzag
09-15-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm sure mlsintoronto will drop us some hints when the time is right. ;)

Roogsy
09-15-2008, 06:25 PM
I think that Michael Klukowski is out of reach. He's improved quite a bit over the past few years, and he's moving up the ladder in Europe. I spoke to him a while ago, and he seemed pretty set on Europe.

Atiba is a Toronto boy, very versatile, and a leader on the field. He would be a dream DP IMO.

And neither of them are DP-worthy.

Keyman
09-15-2008, 06:27 PM
And neither of them are DP-worthy.
You don't think Atiba Hutchinson is DP worthy?

David_Oliveira
09-15-2008, 06:33 PM
what about Hume. I think he would thrive in the MLS. His style is awesome and I really think he could help us out.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-15-2008, 06:35 PM

HOnestly...i dont think he's Dp material either...

TFC USA
09-15-2008, 06:36 PM
I know Mo will piss us all off and get Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink to come out of retirement.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-15-2008, 06:37 PM
what about Hume. I think he would thrive in the MLS. His style is awesome and I really think he could help us out.

awlays liked hume....but his recent preformances with the nats has left a bad taste in my mouth....

but i do agree i think he would light up MLS

Super
09-15-2008, 06:38 PM

Doesn't matter. It won't be him. Why would he leave FC Copenhagen, just steps away from major leagues and with the spotlight on him pretty much all of the time, to come back to Canada, to the MLS, where no one is watching.Not gonna happen!But hey, if we throw 5 million at him he might think about it.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-15-2008, 06:38 PM
HOnestly..there is only one player i would consider paying DP money from CANADA...

JDG....here's a blank check name your price..:)

it was a nice dream though

JDG
09-15-2008, 06:39 PM
De Ro is coming home baby!

I know nothink!

Keyman
09-15-2008, 06:39 PM
HOnestly...i dont think he's Dp material either...
Why?
He's a physical player who would fit in with the style of play here in North America. He can play as an attacking midfielder, left sided mifielder, or in the centre of midfield. He is a team leader with FCK, he has Champions League experience, he can score goals when given the opportunity. He has pace, is responsible defensively, and would fit in very with our team. No, he may not be the flashiest player in the world, but he gets the job done. He was getting considerable attention from English teams, and was said to be worth somewhere around 5-6 million. He's a very good player.

David_Oliveira
09-15-2008, 06:40 PM
to some extent I believe any DP has just as big a spotlight as any other big league player. Look at Beckham and Blanco. They are still idolized to some extent by english and mexicans respectively.

Super
09-15-2008, 06:46 PM
De Ro is coming home baby!

I know nothink!

Well, there has been a lot of talk about that, but then again why leave a successful club to come to a bottom-feeder club. On the other hand, you see players return to their home to finish their careers all of the time, so maybe it could happen. Fingers crossed.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Well, there has been a lot of talk about that, but then again why leave a successful club to come to a bottom-feeder club. On the other hand, you see players return to their home to finish their careers all of the time, so maybe it could happen. Fingers crossed.

DERO has done int all in MLS. MVP..CHAMPIONSHIPS...the only thing now is to come home.....and TOP of a great career...hoisting the cup in his home town....im sure if you asked him...a few years ago..if he would ever get a chance to play professional football in his home town.....you know what the aswer would be...

Come home DERO!

[NBF]
09-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Hutchinson???? Not a chance!
Hume???? Not a chance considering barnsley spent $2 million in get him transfered from Leicester City!
De Rosario???? Not if Guevara and Ricketts are already on the team.
De Guzman we know is completely out of the question.

So, who's left? Jaime Peters....Kent O'Connor....Will Johnson....Adrian Serioux....Ante Jazic....Richard Hastings....Tam Msaliwa....Kenny Stamatopolous???

I would think that when JC said he was interested in signing two canadian national team players he meant that he could probably sign Serioux or DeRosario, but everyone else is sort of on the bubble.

TFCREDNWHITE
09-15-2008, 07:09 PM

I don't think he is worthy of the DP slot....I mean let me put it to you this way...

The DP slot counts as 400,000USD against your cap...

Atiba is surely worth more than 400,000USD a year i peg him somewhere around 800,000 - 900,000USD a year...maaaybbe even that is stretching it a bit.

Therefore, the DP slot should be used on someone with great value, experience, leadership and potential to grow.

The DP slot should be used on someone that will receive somewhere around $3-4 million dollars a year! which Atiba is sooo not worth that amount!

brad
09-15-2008, 07:09 PM
HOnestly..there is only one player i would consider paying DP money from CANADA...

JDG....here's a blank check name your price..:)

it was a nice dream though

Owen Hargreaves would be worth the price, as would the other De Guzman.

David_Oliveira
09-15-2008, 07:22 PM
;185808']Hutchinson???? Not a chance!
Hume???? Not a chance considering barnsley spent $2 million in get him transfered from Leicester City!
De Rosario???? Not if Guevara and Ricketts are already on the team.
De Guzman we know is completely out of the question.

So, who's left? Jaime Peters....Kent O'Connor....Will Johnson....Adrian Serioux....Ante Jazic....Richard Hastings....Tam Msaliwa....Kenny Stamatopolous???

I would think that when JC said he was interested in signing two canadian national team players he meant that he could probably sign Serioux or DeRosario, but everyone else is sort of on the bubble.

Why not? 3 appearances this year. doesn't seem they need him that much. And whats with all this Dero talk. Great player without a question... in the MLS but I have my doubts if he would survive in Spain or England or Italy. Not DP worthy in IMO. Why would you sign a player away from Houston as a DP. IF he was DP worthy Houston would have done so.

wzhxvy
09-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Why not? 3 appearances this year. doesn't seem they need him that much. And whats with all this Dero talk. Great player without a question... in the MLS but I have my doubts if he would survive in Spain or England or Italy. Not DP worthy in IMO. Why would you sign a player away from Houston as a DP. IF he was DP worthy Houston would have done so.

Great point...we better not overpay and pay someone DP money just to come here is they are not worth the money anywhere else. I just hope that whatever they do, that its not a compromise selection...lets pay extra and get the guy that we really want.

wzhxvy
09-15-2008, 07:56 PM

Too bad hes not interested...klukowski can be that back you build around..but I see your point, he wont be easy to pry out of Europe if he plays the same way he did for Canada !

Chevy
09-15-2008, 08:07 PM
I don't think he is worthy of the DP slot....I mean let me put it to you this way...

Atiba is surely worth more than 400,000USD a year i peg him somewhere around 800,000 - 900,000USD a year...maaaybbe even that is stretching it a bit.

Therefore, the DP slot should be used on someone with great value, experience, leadership and potential to grow.

The DP slot should be used on someone that will receive somewhere around $3-4 million dollars a year! which Atiba is sooo not worth that amount!

The DP slot doesn't NEED to be used on a $3M per year player. If it happens that way that's great, but if not we can still make the club better by signing a DP at $600k or $800k a year.

jloome
09-15-2008, 08:36 PM
The DP slot doesn't NEED to be used on a $3M per year player. If it happens that way that's great, but if not we can still make the club better by signing a DP at $600k or $800k a year.

And for anyone who still says they'd turn down Huckerby as a DP, I suggest you go look at his stats.

sampace
09-15-2008, 09:11 PM
The FC may want a DP player, but based on MO's inability to sign any true quality players I'd be surprised if there are any DP's who have Toronto in their sights. The only DP player Toronto may be able to sign, is Mo's buddy Gattuso!:hump:

Ossington Mental Youth
09-15-2008, 09:24 PM
I wouldnt be mad at that, hed dominate the mid, link the offense up and ease the pain on the defense

ilikemusic
09-15-2008, 09:49 PM
:sleep:

TFC07
09-15-2008, 10:22 PM
yada, yada, yada...talk is cheap. I wouldn't believe it until TFC actually signs a "star" player.

Hopefully they mean star as someone who is a superstar or major international player, not some young reject like that guy from Newcastle that TFC were trying to sign.

Axeman
09-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Owen Hargreaves would be worth the price, as would the other De Guzman.

Yeah lets sign Canadian Traitors!

Axeman
09-15-2008, 10:50 PM
I would love to get Hastings. Hastings at LCD, Brennan at LD and Dunivant at LW.

Oldtimer
09-16-2008, 07:33 AM
My thoughts:

season ticket renewals are not doing as well as last year (speculation), so now MLSE sees that they need to fork out the bucks. It will happen, but will we embrace the player that Mo eventually brings us?

Fort York Redcoat
09-16-2008, 08:29 AM
The DP needs to be presented before the season starts or it will be another Becks scene where the guy will be joining a league 1/4 way through. Not a team building decision.

Beach_Red
09-16-2008, 08:34 AM
So, can TFC sign someone who's currently under contract with another team?

Ossington Mental Youth
09-16-2008, 08:59 AM
So, can TFC sign someone who's currently under contract with another team?

they can but its doubtful, MLS isnt big on transfer fees

reggie
09-16-2008, 09:02 AM
I would love to get Hastings. Hastings at LCD, Brennan at LD and Dunivant at LW.
This is a joke i hope.........

Beach_Red
09-16-2008, 10:28 AM
they can but its doubtful, MLS isnt big on transfer fees

Well that really narrows the field, then, doesn't it. When are the players currently under contract available?

Ossington Mental Youth
09-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Well that really narrows the field, then, doesn't it. When are the players currently under contract available?

yeah it usually means players that have their contracts expire, secksy becksy for instance had his expire, which usually means we sign in the middle of the season

fetajr
09-16-2008, 10:37 AM
DP talk is all bullshit. Said just in time for the Season ticket renewal period.
all strategy by ML$E

Ossington Mental Youth
09-16-2008, 10:48 AM
:rolleyes:

joel
09-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Carver isn't the kind of guy to say something like that for ticket sales, if you read his comments, he is staking his reputation on it, by guaranteeing a DP player.

Shaughno
09-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Carver isn't the kind of guy to say something like that for ticket sales, if you read his comments, he is staking his reputation on it, by guaranteeing a DP player.

No wai man... this is the RPB board, Carver is a god and the devil at the same time while trying to increase ticket sales to make MLSE profit beyond any other organization in the entire UNIVERSE!

He's staking his reputation on it. ;)

Oldtimer
09-16-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't think Carver is lying, I'm sure we will have a DP.

I just think that MLSE's board may have been hesitant to go full steam ahead, until they saw the need.

joel
09-16-2008, 11:29 AM
I think the plan always was the after year 2 the player they wanted was out of contract, but that won't really be apparent until you know who the player is. And maybe now with carver the person has changed.

joel
09-16-2008, 11:32 AM
No wai man... this is the RPB board, Carver is a god and the devil at the same time while trying to increase ticket sales to make MLSE profit beyond any other organization in the entire UNIVERSE!

He's staking his reputation on it. ;)

Indeed, tinfoil hat squad is always on patrol here :p

wzhxvy
09-16-2008, 11:39 AM
From what I am hearing, season ticket renewal is not close to being an issue...the renewal rate will likely be 99%...but I do think that Carver and MO yap too much and should be more focused on doing than talking...

jloome
09-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Y'know, debating whether they will or won't is pretty fucking pointless; even more pointless, but much more fun, is debating WHO they'll bring in.

Any new names? (My personal preferences so far have been Washington (Brazilian forward, top jleague scorer for years), Mame Chiekh Niang (huge, skilled Senegalese forward with Wolfsburg, hasn't seem much time, is 23) Kleber Boas (Mexican forward who used to link up with Blanco, scored 42 goals for Santos last season), Kevin Phillips (yeah, I know he's at Birmingham or something but fuck it, I can dream).

I think Carver's suggestion is someone in their mid- to late-20s, like RR but a goal poacher type or AM.

Beach_Red
09-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Y'know, debating whether they will or won't is pretty fucking pointless; even more pointless, but much more fun, is debating WHO they'll bring in.

Yes, more fun for sure. But just so I get this straight, it has to be someone in the last year of their contract right now, or out of a contract completely? But worth DP money.

I guess that could be a long list, even leaving out the ones who wouldn't come to MLS and then the ones who wouldn't come to Toronto.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Sigh, theyd all be amazing.

S_D
09-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Carver isn't the kind of guy to say something like that for ticket sales, if you read his comments, he is staking Mo's reputation on it, by guaranteeing a DP player.

Fixed your post. All Carver can do is say "I want that player". It is up to Mo to get 'er done.

ACSertL
09-16-2008, 12:45 PM

Any new names? (My personal preferences so far have been Washington (Brazilian forward, top jleague scorer for years), Mame Chiekh Niang (huge, skilled Senegalese forward with Wolfsburg, hasn't seem much time, is 23) Kleber Boas (Mexican forward who used to link up with Blanco, scored 42 goals for Santos last season), Kevin Phillips (yeah, I know he's at Birmingham or something but fuck it, I can dream).

I think Carver's suggestion is someone in their mid- to late-20s, like RR but a goal poacher type or AM.

It might be a pipe dream, but I would like to see Eidur Gudjohnsen here. He had his problems with Barca last season but that was under Rijkaard, but he seems to be happy with the new coach and his role with the team.

Still...:)

Jack
09-16-2008, 12:51 PM
@jloome Kleber's Brazilian, but yes, he's a goal machine.

joel
09-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Fixed your post. All Carver can do is say "I want that player". It is up to Mo to get 'er done.

Did you read the article?

I'll guarantee you that this will definitely happen by the start of next season. I'm guaranteeing it," Carver told reporters Monday afternoon.

My post was fine. Regardless of Mo having to sign a player, JC can't look back in 6 months and say, oh it was Mo's responsiblity, he's put his reputation on the line with a comment like that.

S_D
09-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Yes I read the article.

It is Mo's responsibility to sign, Anselmi's (sp?), and the MLSE BOG approval..until Carver can put his name to the bottom line in signing contracts, it is essentially out of his control. He can say whatever he wants but we all know it is not him controlling the purse strings. Yes he can find players, and perhaps even has the power to make an offer here or there (with Mo's approval) but at the end of the day that is all he can do.

And if a DP doesn't come, whether it is due to someone not wanting to come to Toronto, play on the turf or any other reason it will be Mo and MLSE that takes the heat, nobody else. Look at all of the posts that call Mo incapable of getting it done and call MLSE cheapskates for not signing one this year :)

brad
09-16-2008, 02:28 PM

I have a feeling that they are monitoring Ronaldo's situation. He's out of contract, so he'd be available for the start of the season. He's about to turn 32, he could still be a force in this league for another 4 years (if his knee holds up, and thats a big if). He's expressed interest in playing in the MLS and he would be a goal machine and a huge name (insert jokes here).

Keegan
09-16-2008, 02:52 PM

You sir need to think. Not worth 3-4 million per year? I think he already makes more than that. You do know that teams like Newcastle, West Ham, Stuttgart and Werder Bremen have tried to buy him? You know that Atiba TURNED DOWN Rangers?

Only 25 years old. Want to know why those clubs couldn't buy him? He has a price tag of 6 million euros. Which is what Copenhagen request since they are rich as hell anyways they don't need the money.

If we could get Atiba I would jump for joy. But not going to happen.

I know FOR A FACT from someone involved in TFC that they were REALLY close to signing Adriano as DP before the season. Just found this out at the Montreal WCQ on the plane ride.

Shaughno
09-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Adriano? :lol: Not that I don't believe you but... what really would he accomplish by coming here?

I mean, he's at Sao Paulo last I heard... but I'm pretty sure that's his home town. He's still mid twenties... he's still under contract to Inter...

I guess it's plausible, but hardly seems so in my eyes.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-16-2008, 03:06 PM
That be fucking amazing if we signed Adriano, i wonder what went wrong?
I do know he may try to get back to Inter.
God that woulda been huge

Jack
09-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Adriano has definitely been having some personal issues lately.

He's back at Inter now.

brad
09-16-2008, 03:25 PM
That be fucking amazing if we signed Adriano, i wonder what went wrong?
I do know he may try to get back to Inter.
God that woulda been huge

The word is that he developed a serious drinking problem after the death of a family member (a parent I believe).

Jack
09-16-2008, 03:26 PM
The word is that he developed a serious drinking problem after the death of a family member (a parent I believe).

His dad.

Shaughno
09-16-2008, 03:28 PM
That's rough.

Jack, love the new sig. :lol:

Shaughno
09-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Funnily enough, Adriano just scored in Champions League play...

Again, what do we have that's so much more appealing than CL play? :lol:

Jack
09-16-2008, 03:44 PM
That's rough.

Jack, love the new sig. :lol:

Hopefully it actually works.

Funnily enough, Adriano just scored in Champions League play...

Again, what do we have that's so much more appealing than CL play? :lol:

Who could figure? :noidea:

joel
09-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Yes I read the article.

It is Mo's responsibility to sign, Anselmi's (sp?), and the MLSE BOG approval..until Carver can put his name to the bottom line in signing contracts, it is essentially out of his control. He can say whatever he wants but we all know it is not him controlling the purse strings. Yes he can find players, and perhaps even has the power to make an offer here or there (with Mo's approval) but at the end of the day that is all he can do.

And if a DP doesn't come, whether it is due to someone not wanting to come to Toronto, play on the turf or any other reason it will be Mo and MLSE that takes the heat, nobody else. Look at all of the posts that call Mo incapable of getting it done and call MLSE cheapskates for not signing one this year :)

He still made a guarantee, and I think not delivering on that, does affect your reputation. And say all you want, John Carver has a big part in making sure the signing happens too, even if his name is on the contract. I think it's crazy to think any of our signings had nothing to do with John Carver.

TFCREDNWHITE
09-16-2008, 04:57 PM
You sir need to think. Not worth 3-4 million per year? I think he already makes more than that. You do know that teams like Newcastle, West Ham, Stuttgart and Werder Bremen have tried to buy him? You know that Atiba TURNED DOWN Rangers?

Only 25 years old. Want to know why those clubs couldn't buy him? He has a price tag of 6 million euros. Which is what Copenhagen request since they are rich as hell anyways they don't need the money.

buddy thats just a TRANSFER FEE!! I'm talking about salaries....
FUCK Mo'Edu had a transfer fee of 3.5 million Euros big freakin' deal!!
Look i like Atiba also, BUT...(insert big BUT here) He is not the DP signing that MLSE should be looking for!, if MLSE go for only one DP then they should shell out the BIG BUCKS for a big name! Someone that will sell 100,000 jersey units...someone like Patrick Kluivert(in the striker position)
or Thierry Henry!!

shwade
09-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Look i like Atiba also, BUT...(insert big BUT here) He is not the DP signing that MLSE should be looking for!, if MLSE go for only one DP then they should shell out the BIG BUCKS for a big name! Someone that will sell 100,000 jersey units...someone like Patrick Kluivert(in the striker position)
or Thierry Henry!!

I agree. Atiba isn't worth the DP slot, Keegan just has a hard on for any National Team player. The only one worth the DP is De guzman

Roogsy
09-16-2008, 07:33 PM
^Tru dat

BASE
09-16-2008, 10:16 PM
New England, Houston, Columbus = top teams in the league= no DP's

Kansas City, LA = bottom of the heap = expensive DP's

San Jose = expansion team = make playoffs = built by intelligent MLS pros (Yallop + Doyle)

DP's -
Blanco - best money MLS has ever spent
Beckham - on field bust - LA record says enough
Denilson - sent packing after a short spell in Dallas
Reyna - never panned out/ injury prone since early 20's
Lopez - average at best in KC
Angel - great first year/not so great year 2 / team success not evident

DP's = myth + excuse

Ossington Mental Youth
09-16-2008, 10:19 PM
I wouldnt say that Beckham was a bust, Donovan and Fatty are top goal scorers because of him. LA is a bust cuz of their shit defense. Blancos great, Denilson and Reyna are shit. Angel has had a rough second year because of NYRB rebuilding/injuries.
I do agree with you that DPs = Success is a myth.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-16-2008, 10:19 PM
You forgot Gallardo, who has been relatively successful, a little slow and currently injured but has helped DC

jloome
09-16-2008, 10:57 PM
or Thierry Henry!!

Anyone who'd take Patrick Kluivert at this point in his career over Atiba Hutchinson hasn't watched much football lately. Kluivert is washed up and he isn't going to sell 100,000 jerseys anytime soon.

We won't get him but Hutchinson would be a great signing, our Shalrie Joseph. He's easily as good on the tackle and a better passer.

I never knew Kleber Boas was Brazilian. Played in Mexico for quite awhile as I recall so I just assumed....

Gudjohnssen would be an amazing DP. Well known and would rip MLS to pieces. Even at 37 (?) Henrik Larsson would be amazing, too.

Roogsy
09-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Nobody is questioning Hutchison as a player. And as sad as it sounds...he simply is not a household name for Canadians.

A DP wears many hats. Hutchison simply cannot fill them all. Moving on...

Jack
09-16-2008, 11:20 PM
I never knew Kleber Boas was Brazilian. Played in Mexico for quite awhile as I recall so I just assumed....

There are a lot of Brazilans playing in Mexico (Argentineans and Chileans too).

The Mexican league pays really well and it's a high level league. Look how well the Mexican players who have finally been allowed to make the jump to Europe are doing (the contract laws were draconian and also, the pay is really good there, so there wasn't as much incentive).

For example, Giovanni Dos Santos is Mexican, but his dad is Brazilian, (known as Zizinho) and played for a long time in Mexico. Another famous Brazilian in Mexico is Zague (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Roberto_Alves). His dad was a Brazilian player for Club America and then he went on to play in Mexico and play for the national team.

There is a long history of Brazilians (and other South Americans) playing in the Mexican league.

Cashcleaner
09-17-2008, 01:18 AM
Bottom line:

If Mo says it's a done deal and makes a guarantee like that, you really need to take it with a grain of salt.

If Carver says it, you can pretty much start the celebrations because he hasn't led us wrong thus far with these sort of remarks.

So with that said...

LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN.

I got dibs on van Nistelrooy.

jloome
09-17-2008, 02:09 AM
Oleksandr Hladky

He's only 22, can score in bunches, is already making DP money in the Ukrainian Premier League. The enormous Ukrainian population in Canada would be thrilled, he'd score 20 a season and we might be able to keep him for several years.

TFC07
09-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Del Piero in Toronto would be HUGE! MLSE can make a lot of money off Del Piero if he decides to play for TFC.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Thought about Del Piero too because hes stated he wants to come over but then Carver said he wants to sign someone thats young etc. Obviously id still love Del Piero. As for Van Nistelrooy, i think Real Salt Lake has a discovery claim on him, im not kidding.
Hladky would be amazing but i suspect hed stay in Europe even if he is making something we could pay

TFC07
09-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Thought about Del Piero too because hes stated he wants to come over but then Carver said he wants to sign someone thats young etc. Obviously id still love Del Piero. As for Van Nistelrooy, i think Real Salt Lake has a discovery claim on him, im not kidding.
Hladky would be amazing but i suspect hed stay in Europe even if he is making something we could pay

Good luck of finding a young star player to sign, Carver. Also I highly doubt MLSE given a chance to sign Del Piero, wouldn't sign him.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2008, 12:04 PM
This is where we differ, why wouldnt they sign him, he'd score a boat load of goals and have support from almost every Italian in Toronto (juve fan or not).
Please stop with the monotonous MLSE nonsense

I agree about the young star bit tho, but who knows, stranger things have happened

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2008, 12:12 PM
The fact we talked to Pinto and offered a deal to Rui Gomes, i would doubt that MLSE would shy away from signing Del Piero if the chance was given

v00d00daddy
09-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Don't know if you guys saw this:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/footballNews/idUKSP9290620080913

Looks like ADP is looking to leave Italy but not until 2010 and sounds like he wants to give England a shot.

I'd love to see him here though. Here's hoping.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2008, 12:27 PM
jesus, 2010?
Bit late that imo, i like to think by 2010 we will have some young strikers killing things.
How old would he be?

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Dont know that an EPL team would want him at that age, bit egotistical, maybe a team thats just been promoted or mid table i could see

arsenal
09-17-2008, 12:29 PM

Pretty sure from the Huckerby debate that a DP signing trumps discovery claim or allocation.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Huckerby didnt sign as a DP, also we got something from San Jose for his rights.

v00d00daddy
09-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Here's what I think about the DP spot.

No one player is going to turn this team around. TFC could sign Leo Messi and he alone would not be enough to make TFC great.

The DP spot is a chance for TFC to spend a shitload of money on one player so that player has to do a lot of things for us.

1. He has to bring with him serious experience. This is why I don't think using the DP spot on a young guy is a good idea. We need somebody that will cause all the other players on the team to look and say, "We have to listen to this guy. He's played, and excelled on the biggest stages in the world." We need a guy who has played meaningful games in the World Cup and Champions League/Copa Libertadores.

2. He has to be skilled. And by skilled I mean with the ball. We need a guy who has (or even had) the ability to create magic with the ball. We don't need more pace, or more heart or other stuff like that.

3. He has to be a true professional. By that I mean, a guy who can show the young guys in the system (reserves, academy) what it takes to be a pro soccer player. He doesn't have to be the room leader or anything like that. He just needs to lead by example.

4. He has to be a big name. He needs to be recognizable. He needs to sell jerseys. He needs to bring credibility to this league. I'd love a super star in the making from some remote part of the world, but I don't want them to use the DP spot on someone like that.

I know that's a lot to ask out of one player but that's what the DP role is for. It gives TFC a chance to go out and get their dream player. I just hope that's what happens.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2008, 01:09 PM
^^^^^^
yep to all that.
This is why its not so easy to sign a DP as some people thing.
Those things coupled with the fact its Toronto and we have turf (hopefully not anymore) makes TFC a hardsell.

Maybe a guy in his late 20s early 30s wouldnt be a bad look.

arsenal
09-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Huckerby didnt sign as a DP, also we got something from San Jose for his rights.

Huckerby did not sign as a DP but during the process it was revealed that if SJ were to sign him as their DP they would not need to give anything for his rights. The fact that SJ was trying to obtain his rights indicated that he would not be signing as a DP.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Really?
Interesting, this i did not know, thanks for the info.
Defo changes alot of things.
Curious to see what would happen if two teams wanted the same player as a DP, neither of whcih had a discovery claim

TFC07
09-17-2008, 03:26 PM
This is where we differ, why wouldnt they sign him, he'd score a boat load of goals and have support from almost every Italian in Toronto (juve fan or not).
Please stop with the monotonous MLSE nonsense

I agree about the young star bit tho, but who knows, stranger things have happened

Sorry...I just worded my post wrong. I meant that MLSE will sign him in a heartbeat given a chance to do so.

TFC07
09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
^^^^^^
yep to all that.
This is why its not so easy to sign a DP as some people thing.
Those things coupled with the fact its Toronto and we have turf (hopefully not anymore) makes TFC a hardsell.

Maybe a guy in his late 20s early 30s wouldnt be a bad look.

BS!

You're telling me that major international players would rather play for markets like Houston, Dallas, Kansas City etc over Toronto? Besides, NYC and LA (maybe Chicago too), Toronto is much attractive and bigger international market than other MLS cities to soccer players (especially the ones from Europe and Eastern part of the world). Also I highly doubt soccer players are that closed minded (maybe excluding some Americans and Mexican players)

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Sigh.
We can argue this allll day.
Yes i am because we are in Canada, playing in the MLS. Living in the states might be a bit more of a sell. Canada/Toronto isnt as popular/well known as people seem to think. If we are known, often we are thought of as being snow covered like Russia.
I love this city and wouldnt live (almost) anywhere else but we are not as important as we often think. The weather for instance was a huge selling point for Huckerby (along side the lack of turf). San Jose is a nowhere town but the fact that its never cold and never rainy was a big part of it, hes said as much. Dallas and Houston would be the same, along with the fact that Houston has won several cups.

TFC07
09-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Sigh.
We can argue this allll day.
Yes i am because we are in Canada, playing in the MLS. Living in the states might be a bit more of a sell. Canada/Toronto isnt as popular/well known as people seem to think. If we are known, often we are thought of as being snow covered like Russia.
I love this city and wouldnt live (almost) anywhere else but we are not as important as we often think. The weather for instance was a huge selling point for Huckerby (along side the lack of turf). San Jose is a nowhere town but the fact that its never cold and never rainy was a big part of it, hes said as much. Dallas and Houston would be the same, along with the fact that Houston has won several cups.

True that some people think Toronto is nothing but snow and ice, but there others who think Toronto highly. So it can go either way.

Truth be told, I am sure if a player was interested playing in MLS and TFC made an offer, I am sure that player at least visit our city before deciding to sign with TFC or not. Huck didn't sign with Toronto because our turf. I don't think our city had anything to do with his decision.

Marco2K
09-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Dero is the right guy.

TFC07
09-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Dero is the right guy.

We don't need to use our DP to get him. He will probably play for TFC once Houston starts losing or other CDN players (like JDG) start playing for us. He will most likely make less than $400K

H Bomb
09-17-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm really not too interested in having a CDN DP. If it works out that way then all the better but never will I go into it thinking we should get a Canadian. We need to find the best willing player...it that Dero? Maybe. I love the guy, but I don't know if paying a previous MLS star is the way to go with a DP. Find a youngish 30 something who has always been skilled as apposed to pacey or strong and plug him in...Like Scholetto but younger and less cunty

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2008, 04:59 PM
True that some people think Toronto is nothing but snow and ice, but there others who think Toronto highly. So it can go either way.

Truth be told, I am sure if a player was interested playing in MLS and TFC made an offer, I am sure that player at least visit our city before deciding to sign with TFC or not. Huck didn't sign with Toronto because our turf. I don't think our city had anything to do with his decision.

Ill try and find a quote where he talks about loving the sun etc of california, it was more the environment then the city, which still matters because Canada's environment isnt going to be changing anytime soon.
Regardless, i do agree with you that it can go either way but we are not the first destination on alot of peoples maps when offers from an American soccer league comes in. Im sure if they are from a community that has a large presence here (ie Indian, Chinese, Italian, Portugese) sure, but otherwise it might be tough

nascarguy
09-17-2008, 05:11 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/09/15/torontofc-designated-player.html

Take JC's guarantee for what it's worth.

John Molinaro
CBCSports.ca
kenny cooper can be sign for 400k or more that is the price he is looking for but dallas as said no and stop all talk 's

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Coopers prob going to England, I think Preston put a bid on him, highly highly doubt hes coming here

nascarguy
09-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Coopers prob going to England, I think Preston put a bid on him, highly highly doubt hes coming here
there currently playing in the second tier of English league football I do think if cooper came here we could get him a better team to play in england or uk

deeznutz
09-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Toronto soccer fans, of course, have heard all of this before from the team, but Carver maintains it's different this time, and not just idle talk

That above was from the cbc sports page........

As I was reading that I spit my coffee all over my keyboard and have just finished cleaning the mess up!!! But it was well worth it!

jloome
09-18-2008, 07:16 PM
I know that's a lot to ask out of one player but that's what the DP role is for. It gives TFC a chance to go out and get their dream player. I just hope that's what happens.

It's a dream list. ANd you're right, it is a lot to ask. Really, on an average person's evaluation prior to him being signed by Columbus, I doubt anyone would've picked Barros Schelloto to top 20 assists, which he likely will. In fact, I'm sure many would've picked Gallardo to have a better year, or even Lopez.

But the reality is, even a good player needs someone there who always finishes. If our strikers, as Nigel Reed pointed out in a recent column, had finished half the chances Guevara floated out there or had any understanding with him, he might have 15 assists. Instead, he's got 4. Gallardo has had some injury issues and the team hasn't had lineup consistency, but here's a guy coming out of PSG expected to do excatly what Schelloto is accomplishing for The Few.

So we could find that team-leading skill player you seek. But unless he's also gonna pop 10 goals, minimum, for us he won't have solved our problem. All season, Ricketts and Robert pumped good crosses into the box, following the rule of goal-scoring thirds: the near post, the spot, the far post. And rarely was there ever someone there to get on the end of it.

We need an assassin. End of story.

Keegan
09-18-2008, 09:13 PM
I agree. Atiba isn't worth the DP slot, Keegan just has a hard on for any National Team player. The only one worth the DP is De guzman

Guys this is MLS. Who do you think we are going to get in the DP slot? Honestly? You are going to get old premier league European based players... look Reyna, Angel, Edgar Davids (was going to sign), Denilson....

I would take Hutchinson over any of them in a heartbeat especially since he is younger and Canadian.

Again WAKE THE FUCK UP. I know players like Davids, Denilson and Reyna are so tempting and amazing especially with their youthful exuberance.... :rolleyes:

I hate being right.

Chevy
09-18-2008, 09:23 PM
did anyone read the article on the TFC site that says Mo "ideally" would like the DP to be Canadian?

shwade
09-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Guys this is MLS. Who do you think we are going to get in the DP slot? Honestly? You are going to get old premier league European based players... look Reyna, Angel, Edgar Davids (was going to sign), Denilson....

I would take Hutchinson over any of them in a heartbeat especially since he is younger and Canadian.

Again WAKE THE FUCK UP. I know players like Davids, Denilson and Reyna are so tempting and amazing especially with their youthful exuberance.... :rolleyes:

I hate being right.

Atiba won't come here at this point in his career. For DP status I'd rather have an early 30 year old whose done major stuff in Europe. i.e. Del Piero,Gomes, van Nistelrooy, etc. All of whom are real possibilities and would help our club immensely.

dantdot
09-18-2008, 10:44 PM
http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=805315

"The finances are there to get him," Carver said at Thursday's practice. "If we get him, wonderful. If we don't get him, then I'll consider my future. That's how much I really guarantee that."

Well, save this for next year.

Roogsy
09-18-2008, 11:13 PM
I hate being right.

Let me know what that happens. :rofl:

Ivan
09-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Oleksandr Hladky

He's only 22, can score in bunches, is already making DP money in the Ukrainian Premier League. The enormous Ukrainian population in Canada would be thrilled, he'd score 20 a season and we might be able to keep him for several years.

I love this suggestion. I'd lose my shit if we landed Hladky, but I'm sure he'll be in the EPL within two years. He'd be a star in the Uke community - you're right about that - and would light up the league too. If you're signing a DP on talent alone; great choice. Transfer fee would be huge. No way Shaktar would let him become "contract free".