PDA

View Full Version : 2 DP Slots

Wooster_TFC
09-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Maybe I missed this completely, but when did we get a second DP slot? Quote from Carver:

"We've got two designated player slots and I'm almost certain we will use at least one of them. I think the time is right now to bring in a designated player and from the conversations I have had with people here I am confident it is going to happen. We have identified a couple of players that we would like," said Carver. "I'm not looking for a DP who is coming to the end of his career. I'm looking for someone who can be part of the club for three or four years."

From http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080915&content_id=188145&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

SLBuu
09-15-2008, 02:44 PM
odd!!

im certain we only have the one.

Nuvinho
09-15-2008, 02:46 PM
I think he may be referring to that we could have 2 DP slots. I don't remember us acquiring a DP slot from anyone in any deals.

I think it was just a mistake.

But back to the DP slot, I don't think Mo or MLSE would let JC say there are getting a DP if it wasn't true, or plant a seed in the minds of the fans. We don't forget, so I am looking forward to a DP for next year.

Wooster_TFC
09-15-2008, 02:47 PM
I think he may be referring to that we could have 2 DP slots. I don't remember us acquiring a DP slot from anyone in any deals.

But back to the DP slot, I don't think Mo or MLSE would let JC say there are getting a DP if it wasn't true, or plant a seed in the minds of the fans. We don't forget, so I am looking forward to a DP for next year.

That was my first thought, but this is a direct quote from Carver, who from what has been coming out recently, is probably up to speed on these things. With him calling a lot of the shots with player acquisitions, you have to think he'd know this.

flatpicker
09-15-2008, 02:48 PM
well... it's good to know they intend to expand the budget a bit to bring in more talent next season.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-15-2008, 02:49 PM
hmmmmm..Id love to know who these players are that they have identified? :)

Nuvinho
09-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Shola Ameobi???

Maybe they were waiting for NewCastle to give up on him.

Wagner
09-15-2008, 02:52 PM

$5 dollar beers.

dantdot
09-15-2008, 02:53 PM
On turf? Good luck with that, better get grass in here.

Jay P
correct me if im wrong but doesnt every team have 2 dp slots now?

Richard D
DP and grass!

This reminds me of an outdoor scene with Nikki Benz!

flatpicker
09-15-2008, 02:56 PM
DP and grass!

This reminds me of an outdoor scene with Nikki Benz!

and how do you spend your time???!!!
:rolleyes:

togetherness
09-15-2008, 03:01 PM
DP and ATM's make the weekend a little more fun

nimamalek
09-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Grass and 2 DPs.... i'm not holding my breath

S_D
09-15-2008, 03:11 PM
he may be considering Ruiz as a DP even though his is a grandfathered contract.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-15-2008, 03:13 PM
correct me if im wrong but doesnt every team have 2 dp slots now?

Im sure it's 2...

S_D
09-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Teams start with 1 DP, but can trade for 1 additional DP slot. TFC only has one (right now) but can always trade for an additional slot if it wants.

Each team initially received one Designated Player slot, and clubs are allowed to trade Designated Player slots. However, no team can have more than two Designated Players. The Designated Player Rule is a three-year initiative that will conclude after the 2009 MLS season when its future will be reviewed.

http://web.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp?section=regulations&content=overview

mclaren
09-15-2008, 03:19 PM
don't hold your breath

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Teams start with 1 DP, but can trade for 1 additional DP slot. TFC only has one (right now) but can always trade for an additional slot if it wants.

Bang on!

For example...DC has 2 as they traded for Colorados Dp spot!

johnmolinaro
09-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Carver mis-spoke.

I was in the press scrum when he said it and it threw me off, because as far as I knew they only had 1 dp slot (they haven't traded for a second one).

I later spoke to a club official and they confirmed they only have one dp slot.

john molinaro
cbcsports.ca

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Carver mis-spoke.

I was in the press scrum when he said it and it threw me off, because as far as I knew they only had 1 dp slot (they haven't traded for a second one).

john molinaro
cbcsports.ca

hey john...did anything leak..on who they have in mind for a DP...:)

DERO? :D JDG?

The Pope
09-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Hey John...since i've bitched so much about the no HD situation.....props for finally broadcasting the last game in a proper format

good job to CBC

johnmolinaro
09-15-2008, 03:48 PM

I'll have a story up soon on our website on it. I'll post the link when it appears.

He didn't mention names, only he wanted a striker and a midfielder.

He also "guaranteed" the club would sign a DP for the start of the 2009 season. Take that for what it's worth.

John

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-15-2008, 03:50 PM
I'll have a story up soon on our website on it. I'll post the link when it appears.

He didn't mention names, only he wanted a striker and a midfielder.

He also "guaranteed" the club would sign a DP for the start of the 2009 season. Take that for what it's worth.

John

good news.....

In Carver We TRUST!

Cant wait to read the article!!

S_D
09-15-2008, 04:09 PM
well lets hope that the DP is signed BEFORE the start of the season so the player can get some training with the team during preseason.

johnmolinaro
09-15-2008, 04:50 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/09/15/torontofc-designated-player.html
(http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/09/15/torontofc-designated-player.html)

Baggio2TFC
09-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Great article...but come on...what are some of the names...hints maybe??!!

SilverSamurai
09-15-2008, 05:21 PM

Now you're being mean... lol

So let me get this straight... TFC could essentially have 3 DP's (in a manner of speaking)? Original DP slot, getting a 2nd through a trade and Ruiz?
Holy...:hump:

ensco
09-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Am I the only person who would like to see Carver talking about matters related to coaching the team?

He'll happily go on about almost anything else.

The DP issue belongs to Mo (and Beirne and Anselmi).

Ossington Mental Youth
09-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Am I the only person who would like to see Carver talking about matters related to coaching the team?

I know what youre saying but it doesnt bother me that much.
Hes basically he first line of contact between FO and public and right now has alot of support from the fans. Also it could be that the discussion was not necessarily coaching related.

ensco
09-15-2008, 06:25 PM
I know what youre saying but it doesnt bother me that much.
Hes basically he first line of contact between FO and public and right now has alot of support from the fans. Also it could be that the discussion was not necessarily coaching related.

No, usually it's about how one of his players has let him down, or how bad the refs are, or the league's ridiculous scheduling, or....something else other than coaching.

We're asking the players to show top-shelf professional discipline on the field.

I think the FO should exhibit a higher standard of discipline off the field.

tovan
09-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Need help on D? Gets grass, sign Stalteri (as a DP or non-DP doesn't matter). Simple. Its not like he's going to be missed at Spurs, the way they've been ignoring him this season and last.

Hell, with grass MLSE could sign anybody!

Ossington Mental Youth
09-15-2008, 06:29 PM
No, usually it's about how one of his player's let him down, or the refs, or the league's scheduling, or....something else other than coaching.

well that is coaching related as those are obsticles he has to deal with (ie planning a formation/strategy around players that will/wont be there).
Do you want him to talk about specific strategy? I doubt thatll happen only because he doesnt want to give away his secrets

ensco
09-15-2008, 06:37 PM
well that is coaching related as those are obsticles he has to deal with (ie planning a formation/strategy around players that will/wont be there).
Do you want him to talk about specific strategy? I doubt thatll happen only because he doesnt want to give away his secrets

He overfocuses on external factors that are beyond his control. Whether he's right or not is not the point. He's making excuses, which sends the message that it's OK to make excuses.

Only Mo should be talking about personnel issues.

Finally, the calling out of players still really bugs me.

Really, a good coach is never saying much that's all that interesting, during the season (I know there are exceptions like Mourinho, but they're pretty rare - when carver wins an EPL title, he can do whatever he wants!.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-15-2008, 06:44 PM
He overfocuses on external factors that are beyond his control. Whether he's right or not is not the point. He's making excuses, which sends the message that it's OK to make excuses.

And only Mo should be talking about personnel issues.

Really, a good coach is never saying much that's all that interesting, during the season. He keeps it in the room.

I beg to differ for instance

Tottenham head coach Juande Ramos insists it is too early to write off hopes of a top-four finish despite the defeat by Aston Villa bringing about the club's worst start to a Premier League season.
''We've only played four games, it's only just begun,'' said the Spaniard. ''There is still room for us there. We had very little time to prepare - (Vedran) Corluka, (Roman) Pavlyuchenko and (Fraizer) Campbell are new to the club and haven't really had time.
''We are behind in our preparations. We need to keep the spirit going and climb as high up the table as possible.
''We've made an irregular start to the season having lost three games which makes it an uphill struggle for us.'' Ramos insists he has faced bigger challenges in his career and feels he has the quality in his squad to kick-start their season.

Ramos admitted he was furious with his players but refused to single out Heurelho Gomes, who was at fault for Ashley Young's strike just after the break. ''I'm always angry at the end of games like this with the players and myself as well,'' Ramos said.

Only one example but It happens all the time

Ossington Mental Youth
09-15-2008, 06:45 PM
call out players isnt that big a deal, especialy in the manner that he does it, if someone plays poorly and they could have avoided it, they should know it, also common practice

ensco
09-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Those are good quotes - funny how two people looking at the same thing see something totally different.

That Ramos quote about Gomes, that's what I want to see. He's mad but won't name names. The coach is protecting his players, even when it's obvious to all that a particular player f$%#$ up.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-15-2008, 06:51 PM
I think its a diff mindset, like 'so and so screwed up, but i know they can do better, etc etc'.
It doesnt seem to have taken a negative effect on the team yet (as far as i can see). All the young guys still go running over to him when they score their first goal. In Velez' situation he did deserve to be called out, dude hit a guy in the face and is gone for two games when we are paper thin on players.

ensco
09-15-2008, 07:04 PM
I think there's some evidence that we don't have a great locker room

Hemming, Robert, what really happened with these guys?

Ossington Mental Youth
09-15-2008, 07:36 PM
I think there's some evidence that we don't have a great locker room

Hemming, Robert, what really happened with these guys?

Robert - Production

Hemming- Playing time

i would bet the farm on it, had nothing to do with carver spouting off, especially as they were never victim of it (with exception to when Hemming left a second time)

Beach_Red
09-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Those are good quotes - funny how two people looking at the same thing see something totally different.

That Ramos quote about Gomes, that's what I want to see. He's mad but won't name names. The coach is protecting his players, even when it's obvious to all that a particular player f$%#$ up.

I know what you're saying, but if it's really obvious to everyone, why not say the guy's name? Sometimes people treat athletes too much like petulant children. Granted sometimes athletes act too much like children...

And, certainly our locker room is a work in progress, everything here is new. It might be a good idea to establish early that there's leadership cooming from the coaching staff. All organizations take on the personality of their leaders and once Carver stopped with the, "I'm just going to quit and go home," and started digging in for the long term I think he's made it obvious he doesn't ever give up. I hope that's the tone that gets set in the dressing room.

I liked Robert, but man, that guy just walked around out there most of the time. I'm sure there were plenty of conversations with him and when the European leagues started up he decided to leave.

Tebily is more questionable, but maybe his injuries were more serious than he realized when he got here. Or, maybe in both cases their wives hated Toronto.

In fact there are too many maybes. It can be fun to speculate, but given that's all we're doing we could maybe fight your sig line a little and try not to be too cynical about the whole thing (I have to admit, about most things I'm usually too cynical).

cuecas_red
09-15-2008, 08:21 PM
well lets hope that the DP is signed BEFORE the start of the season so the player can get some training with the team during preseason.
key word is signed. he may sign before the season starts but not be available to play until July

giambac
09-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Carver mis-spoke.

john molinaro
cbcsports.ca

You mean our own coach doesn't even know how many DP slots we have????:dupe:

It explains alot to me.:eek:

S_D
09-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Now you're being mean... lol

So let me get this straight... TFC could essentially have 3 DP's (in a manner of speaking)? Original DP slot, getting a 2nd through a trade and Ruiz?
Holy...:hump:

L.A. already tried that and with the 2.3 million salary cap we saw where that got them. :D

If we see a big salary cap raise then sure why not I guess, but I don't want to see big money players gone for 1/2 the season playing WCQ's. I know MLS said they are going to try and fix it, but it doesn't mean they will.

2 DP's seem borderline realistic budget wise but I can't see TFC being able to afford Ruiz as well.

And anyways before we talk of a second DP, lets try and get 1 first!

trane
09-16-2008, 09:19 AM
I posted already but I like that he has identified the needs, one CB, one Striker , one Mid. We get class at each position we shall compete next year.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Dont forget Ruiz' contract with the MLS is over at the end of this season, he can resign and his pay will still be grandfathered until the end of next season. Itll be interesting if a) he resigns with the MLS and b) he resigns at the same pay.

Flashman
09-16-2008, 10:34 AM
I can't stop thinking that JC is refering to the $500,000 allocation we got for the Edu transfer, and considering that as a possible 2nd DP, as that $500,000 does not count against our salary cap, and in fact extends the salary cap.

Richard D
09-16-2008, 01:49 PM

so true...

coach the team you were given and dont worry about what the higher ups are doing.

Too many excuses and not enough indians...

Torcida
09-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Hey John...since i've bitched so much about the no HD situation.....props for finally broadcasting the last game in a proper format

good job to CBC
Unfortunately the camera man was in idiot, if you were watching the game on fullscreen (I watched it in both HD and standard def at different points) he was not following the play properly.

nascarguy
09-17-2008, 08:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzBapEAfyOM&feature=related
I would love to see if we could sign this keeper

i i have to say is i never want to sign this keeper \/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNQLp3ScbBA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht9iDTA94Og&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcLe0dkMHWU&feature=related

sampace
09-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Yeah right, and Santa Claus is coming to town. Mo Johnston and Carver are spinning rumours to get people to resign for season tickets seeing that it is slower then normal. Resign, we'll get some all stars....opps they don't want to play on turf. Opps the weather is too cold. Opps they resigned in Europe!!!:eek:

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Tickets were resigned at something like 98%, find a new conspiracy

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Thats not to mention the other 6000 or so people that would snap those tickets up in a heartbeat

sampace
09-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Looks like every one fell for it hook line and sinker. Just like the Maple Leafs...I hear this season is being promoted as build it and they will come!

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2008, 09:20 AM
yep wicked, MLSE is horrible and greedy, you should take it to the other billion threads addressing this gripe, its repetitive, boring and adds nothing here

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Seems you would have fallen for it too being a TFC 'fan'

Shakes McQueen
09-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Looks like every one fell for it hook line and sinker. Just like the Maple Leafs...I hear this season is being promoted as build it and they will come!

So given your clairvoyance on the situation, and the realization that Toronto FC is nothing more than a scam to make money - why are you on a TFC supporter's website, again?

Just trying to spread the word to the brainwashed masses?

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

- Scott