PDA

View Full Version : I Say We Just Rip Them Suckas Out!!!

Chewy Unikronik
09-15-2008, 10:14 AM
:willy_nilly:Seats? Who needs 'em???:willy_nilly:

We want to make sure that our house remains a place that can be enjoyed by everyone, and also allows like-minded fans to support our club together in their own way. After a lot of thought and a lot of feedback, we’ve decided to designate more sections at BMO Field as ‘Supporters Sections’. Our definition of a 'Supporters Section' is an area where standing throughout match play is allowed, as well as the use of flags, banners, drums and streamers. Therefore, in addition to Sections 112 through 118, Sections 111, 119, 127, and the top half of 110 allow this behaviour for 2009 and beyond. All other sections will be expected to remain seated throughout the games, unless match play suggests otherwise.

I'm sure others have seen this elsewhere, but I've just found out, so... :p

flatpicker
09-15-2008, 10:15 AM
ummm... I have a feeling the seats will be staying... it's for the best, in my opinion...

LUFC
09-17-2008, 06:18 PM
arn't terraces band in everywhere due to the disasters?

London
09-17-2008, 06:19 PM
doesnt have to be a terrace, just put in bench seating

TFC_Toon
09-17-2008, 06:23 PM

I believe so for the most part, all seating nowadays. I could not see terraces in the MLS anytime soon if ever.

GabrielHurl
09-17-2008, 06:31 PM
For the Ireland friendly games - they could use terracing.

For qualifiers - they had to put temporary seating in

flatpicker
09-17-2008, 06:34 PM
When I was at the Bristol Rovers match last month it was all terrace (except for the away supporters).

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/brushstroke-man/theterrace_small.jpg

egoodwin
09-17-2008, 08:26 PM
only thing seats are good for, is to lay your flags down when not using them...

Corcai
09-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Gabriel is right. I watched many a friendly in Dublin with Terracing but I believe he is correct for qualifying.

Funny the friendlies were always just people approaching me saying, Funny you kind of sound like an American but different. Once they find out your Canadian, your drinks are paid for, for the rest of the match.

Erin go Bragh

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 08:33 PM
All top level English stadiums have to be all-seater, I'm pretty sure that in the Championship they have to be all-seater as well.

Terraces wouldn't be a very good idea for MLS in my opinion, for one thing a lot of the 'hardcore supporters' of other teams in the league don't even stand the whole match from what I can tell, and anyway, the reason the old grounds had terraces was to fit as many people in as possible.

Blizzard
09-17-2008, 08:59 PM
All top level English stadiums have to be all-seater, I'm pretty sure that in the Championship they have to be all-seater as well.

Terraces wouldn't be a very good idea for MLS in my opinion, for one thing a lot of the 'hardcore supporters' of other teams in the league don't even stand the whole match from what I can tell, and anyway, the reason the old grounds had terraces was to fit as many people in as possible.

The concept of terracing isn't gone though. Stadiums in Germany have reintroduced safe standing areas and the topic has been up for discussion in the UK as this article illustrates: http://www.birminghampost.net/news/newsaggregator/tm_headline=libdems-call-for-return-to-terraces-at-football-matches&method=full&objectid=21817938&siteid=65233-name_page.html

... and here is another interesting take on the subject: http://soccerlens.com/should-the-english-premier-league-bring-back-football-terraces/5831/

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Yeah a lot of english fans want standing only areas to return, there's a site that I think is called www.standupsitdown.co.uk (http://www.standupsitdown.co.uk) entirely dedicated to it. I personally don't think a return to terracing is the way to go because of the safety hazards that go along with it, like the overcrowding that led to the Hillsborough disaster, but seats that flip up and down is a must for supporters sections... In Montreal they're these cheap molded plastic things, I wasn't all that impressed.

In fact, as far as standing up goes, we're very progressive in comparison to the UK. They don't want anyone to stand, even in supporters areas. They just want to be allowed to have certain sections where they can stand up in front of their seats.

Anyway- good to see that 127 is 'officially' a Supporters Section, the scalper buyers can't complain now.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-17-2008, 09:42 PM
The concept of terracing isn't gone though. Stadiums in Germany have reintroduced safe standing areas

Was gonna say this.
In Germany i think 10% of the stadium has to be standing terraces.
Good looking out Germany

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Was gonna say this.
In Germany i think 10% of the stadium has to be standing terraces.
Good looking out Germany
I'm sure there's no 'rule', and it's only certain clubs that do this anyway.

Bars92
09-17-2008, 10:47 PM
I was born standing in the terrace.

Cashcleaner
09-17-2008, 10:49 PM
According to a magazine article I read a while back, the seats in the South End were actually a late addition to the plans at BMO Field. I think the original intention was to just have bare metal benches, but the seat manufacturer was able to convince them otherwise.

greatwhitenorf
09-18-2008, 01:21 AM
The German stadiums are allowed to have standing in terraced areas in their supporters sections for league games only.

For all European matches, they have to reinstall seats in the terraced areas. Pain in the ass to do and costs them some capacity, but keeps happy both their hard-core fans and UEFA, who especially like it when everyone sits up nice and straight and pays close attention to the proceedings.

Cambridge_Red
09-18-2008, 02:05 AM
Yup the Taylor report banned terracing in England after the Hillsborough disaster (R.I.P.) You can still find them though in the lower leagues that don't have the demand for tickets, thus less of a security risk. In Europe though they have been reintroduced, but I'm pretty sure there's a ticket count for safety reasons rather then just piling people in like in the past.

Cambridge_Red
09-18-2008, 02:09 AM
Yeah a lot of english fans want standing only areas to return, there's a site that I think is called www.standupsitdown.co.uk (http://www.standupsitdown.co.uk) entirely dedicated to it. I personally don't think a return to terracing is the way to go because of the safety hazards that go along with it, like the overcrowding that led to the Hillsborough disaster, but seats that flip up and down is a must for supporters sections... In Montreal they're these cheap molded plastic things, I wasn't all that impressed.

In fact, as far as standing up goes, we're very progressive in comparison to the UK. They don't want anyone to stand, even in supporters areas. They just want to be allowed to have certain sections where they can stand up in front of their seats.

Anyway- good to see that 127 is 'officially' a Supporters Section, the scalper buyers can't complain now.

We have been official this season just now highlighted on the map thingy :D You would be surprised though the amount of "down with your flags" comments we get still.... Bastards. Doesn't 112 still get people complaining about "singing"?

Cashcleaner
09-18-2008, 02:11 AM
^ Yeah now correct me if I'm wrong, but outside of the UK, they are only recommended for most top-tier clubs, right? I think it's UEFA that has the final say on stadium specs, but not sure if it's enshrined in their rules or not.

Cambridge_Red
09-18-2008, 02:51 AM
Yes I think you're right Cash, the report was more of a strong recommendation to the FA. Personally I like the German approach, I went to see Walsall play at Bescott stadium a few years back and it was terraced at the time and the little stadium was very loud.

Rawkus_420
09-18-2008, 04:13 PM
i ran into a buddy at the bar after a tfc game when i was in canada ...he shall remain nameless.....but he had a seat

Maple Leaf Red
09-18-2008, 05:04 PM
I was born standing in the terrace.
Your mom was tough!

Bars92
09-18-2008, 10:18 PM
^haha

def fret
09-19-2008, 12:13 PM
was in Bucharest for a Rapid/Steau derby and the whole place stood the whole time.

Damien
09-19-2008, 12:14 PM
The seats will stay to cater to games other than TFC.

Keegan
09-19-2008, 03:18 PM
How about Terraces but with bars? To prevent supporters from falling down rows. So Basically standing with bars at the front of each row which you can lean on. Would that not solve the danger problem? Because people already overcrowd the Supporters end and that isnt a problem. PLUS bars would make it safer then seats which are about knee level in front of you and you can flip over.

Cashcleaner
09-19-2008, 03:36 PM
^ I do recall seeing some modern stadiums with that sort of set-up. The underlying problem with terraces that led to Hillsborough was more an issue of crowd control than anything else, not so much the design of the stands.

Bars92
09-19-2008, 05:53 PM
I say build a low terrace at the north end. Like a few layers of concrete and railings to lean on. Not to steep so as not to be a saftey issue for people taking a tumble. Having said that - the beer garden is gold in the Canadian summer for those early season games. Can't have it every way.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-19-2008, 06:37 PM
^ I do recall seeing some modern stadiums with that sort of set-up. The underlying problem with terraces that led to Hillsborough was more an issue of crowd control than anything else, not so much the design of the stands.
Not only that, but old terraces were designed very poorly. Areas were sectioned off with fences, I suppose to prevent brawls, which resulted in a real risk of a section being overcrowded. If we do stick in a terraced area somewhere, the security and ticket people will have to be on the ball... something they definitely aren't now. Not being able to identify beer-throwing morons and being unable to see a fight starting a couple feet away (yet getting all pissed at perfectly innocent people for no good reason) being prime examples.