Batman
09-13-2008, 04:36 PM
go to it.

Batman
09-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Shoot... we needed that.

Ladies Love Julius James
Maybe next year we get to play in late October?

TFC USA
I want to slap the Crew fans.

Damien
09-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Columbus controlled most of the match... we are lucky to come away with a draw.

Ladies Love Julius James
That stadium looked like ghost town from the 70th

TFC USA
I've concluded that Julius James can't be fixed, he and Ruiz should be traded at season's end for some draft picks and a player in the league.

Sonny Cheeba
09-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Ruiz was shite. i don't think we could quite manage more than a draw.

gardooney
Batman you closed that thread a full 2 seconds before the final whistle. Who can I talk to about this .:smilewinkgrin:

TFC USA
That stadium looked like ghost town from the 70th

The Crew play in a ghost town in all of their home games for the full 90 minutes. :)

Mojo
Is that the anthem I hear being played over the loud speaker in the background?

ensco
09-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Well at least we looked like a soccer team today.

Fairly entertaining game.

Sure wish we had picked up Will Johnson, and not Ruiz. Jeez, I'd rather have Cunningham than Ruiz.

Ladies Love Julius James
The Crew play in a ghost town in all of their home games for the full 90 minutes. :)

Ya but they play in a shit city that is ruled by Ohio State

Batman
Seriously, I wonder how many people were actually in the stands today. The east side stands looked like no more than 50% attendance.

Axeman
09-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Ruiz was a fucking pylon out there, Ricketts to me looked lost most of the time, and god I hope we get some DC's.

smeghead
09-13-2008, 04:45 PM
i want to punch out the guys throwing coins and beer onthe corner kicks. they must be the retards in the family.

Lucky Strike
09-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Did anyone see Robinson do his trademark windmill goal celebration in the replays of the match highlights? I love it! I don't know why people like DeVos say he's got to work on it. The only better one in my view was Dichio's celebration earlier this year (against DC I think) where he just ran to the corner flag, picked it up and presented it to the South End.

Detroit_TFC
09-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Considering how Colubmus dismantled the Revs last week, the football gods smiled upon us by taking out Schelotto. Beyond that we were on our own. Compared to some games this season, it wasn't the worst we've done. A tie seems reasonable.

Batman
09-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Considering how Colubmus dismantled the Revs last week, the football gods smiled upon us by taking out Schelotto. Beyond that we were on our own. Compared to some games this season, it wasn't the worst we've done. A tie seems reasonable.

Reasonable given the play today, but a WIN was pretty much required to keep the season going.

Lucky Strike
09-13-2008, 04:50 PM
A draw is a good result, but not the one we were looking for. A bittersweet result, methinks.

Sonny Cheeba
09-13-2008, 04:52 PM
players aren't going to say on live television that they don't want their coach. maybe say if they get a long or not, but not "he should be fired"

Batman
09-13-2008, 04:53 PM
I really think the players do support Carver. I personally also think we don't need a coaching change, we just still need some player upgrades.

Sonny Cheeba
09-13-2008, 04:54 PM
I really think the players do support Carver. I personally also think we don't need a coaching change, we just still need some player upgrades.

i think they do too... but they're not going to full out say they hate him on camera.

LucaGol
09-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Well, what I feared would happen, did happen.

2 out of our 3 hottest players right now Johann Smith and Tyler Rosenlund (last 3 minutes aside) ... did not feature in this contest. (Rohan Ricketts being the other)

I mean ... I dunno. You play the best players.

Im at a loss for words really.

Batman
09-13-2008, 04:56 PM
i think they do too... but they're not going to full out say they hate him on camera.

No, that's true. Dunivant also admitted that at the half.

Sonny Cheeba
09-13-2008, 04:58 PM
that's true. he did. basically was like "do you think i'm going to talk shit about my coach in the middle of the game?"

Wighty
09-13-2008, 04:59 PM
I know we are all a little down after that result, but maybe a video of Chivas' keeper being dropped will bring a smile to some of your faces.
YfRUzpHFZ8k

Danbwoy
09-13-2008, 05:00 PM
I barely even recognize the team. Different guys every week... no results no matter who it is. I'm not watching again until next season.

Inswingingwingman
09-13-2008, 05:04 PM
I don't for the life of me get the Carver bashers. The players seem to love him, the post game interview (whenever it was done) was positive, he seems to like the job and I bet you dollars to timbits he comes back next year.

Ruiz was crap..

Velez should stay gone....

The defense was really bad once and it cost us.

Why is it that they hit the ball about 10 times with their hands and no calls but we do it 2 times and it's called both times?

The ref seemed 'against' again....stupid calls for them, against us...

Sonny Cheeba
09-13-2008, 05:07 PM
I don't for the life of me get the Carver bashers. The players seem to love him, the post game interview (whenever it was done) was positive, he seems to like the job and I bet you dollars to timbits he comes back next year.

Ruiz was crap..

Velez should stay gone....

The defense was really bad once and it cost us.

Why is it that they hit the ball about 10 times with their hands and no calls but we do it 2 times and it's called both times?

The ref seemed 'against' again....stupid calls for them, against us...

no shit. he waved down an offside flag. that's ridiculous.

kuku
09-13-2008, 05:07 PM
I thought TFC played well today. Toronto had some great chances especially Hunter Freeman & Ruiz. TFC just needs to work on finishing plays. The defence was ok except on the Columbus goal.

Ladies Love Julius James
09-13-2008, 05:10 PM
I was impressed with Freeman, had a solid game.

kuku
09-13-2008, 05:19 PM
TFC should have had a penalty shot of their own when Ruiz was taken down in the box. There was contact there but the ref blew it. That could've been the difference.

Sonny Cheeba
09-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Jimbo on CityTV referred to them as "FC" at least 5 times. i barfed

they showed the head shave too!

Ossington Mental Youth
09-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Still think its too early to give a verdict on Ruiz.
piece of shit crew defo ran the game from the 40 something minute they scored and we are lucky to walk away with a draw.
Really like Rosenlund, great placement, great passing terrible finishing, but alot of promise none the less.
Our mids dont dont play enough defense or offense which strains both our defense and strikers. as per usual WE CANT CLEAR A FUCKING BALL.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-13-2008, 05:27 PM
I do like the idea of giving Ruiz another chance however im not sure id want to with his current paycheck.

sweetlemon69
09-13-2008, 05:30 PM
So after todays game, I walked home with 3 crew fans today.

Needless to say, they were in awe of our setup. Fans, Stadium, QUALITY OF OUR FULL SQUAD TEAM, and food. They were hardcore fans, been hardcore since columbus's inception. This showed me that we have such a quality product, it's not even funny. BTW, for all the nah'sayers out there, we should be so proud to have earned a point today.

I'm happy with Ruiz. Remember, first time at home. First time on a WET TURF pitch (does anyone here play on BMO when it's wet? They know how ass it is to accommodate). Carver had him and Barret first half subbing for attacking striker every 10 mins approx, so the dynamic between barret and guevara will improve.

I still think Wynne needs to go. He is unbelievable at speed, but his marking, zoning, first touch, crossing and distribution is quite inexperienced/horrible. I would have rathered Hunter played right back then him.

Overall, I'm very happy with the way we played. I cannot wait for our ENTIRE squad to gel together. Remember this is the first time since like what, June, since we've ALL played together? This season "MAY" be a write off (OBVIOUSLY I want us to make the playoffs), but I am SOOOOO stoked for next season, after we are all comfortable with each other.

I personally think our squad will be the same through the ENTIRE next season, as it was in the beginning of this season.

TFC!

Ladies Love Julius James
09-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Wynne needs to go??? Did the Crew fans let you hit their stash?

Sonny Cheeba
09-13-2008, 05:36 PM
yeh man. wynne played well today. so he can't finish, he's not the one to go from this team. did you see julius james?

Yohan
09-13-2008, 05:37 PM
How many right backs in MLS are better than Wynne? Srsly

ensco
09-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Between the waving off of the offsides, and the miss on Sutton leaving his line a full two seconds early on the PK, we saw two of the worst refereeing decisions we've seen all year.

Beach_Red
09-13-2008, 05:42 PM
TFC should have had a penalty shot of their own when Ruiz was taken down in the box. There was contact there but the ref blew it. That could've been the difference.

That's two games in a row that's happened....

Ladies Love Julius James
09-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Ruiz was diving the whole game.

Sonny Cheeba
09-13-2008, 05:48 PM
after watching the replay. i can't believe how Sutton wasn't called for launching off the line.

Redcoe15
09-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Considering what we've seen in the past, that wasn't a bad game we saw from the guys today. But that defensive breakdown that lead to the Columbus goal made me sick. Little things like that are what's keeping TFC from advancing.

And as for Carver, I hope he doesn't entetr any wet T-shirt contests! :puke:

NooNeR
09-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Between the waving off of the offsides, and the miss on Sutton leaving his line a full two seconds early on the PK, we saw two of the worst refereeing decisions we've seen all year.

the ref was not great by any means but waving the offside was a good call. the ball had come off a tfc player.

Batman
09-13-2008, 06:06 PM
after watching the replay. i can't believe how Sutton wasn't called for launching off the line.

Probably true, but it shouldn't have been a penalty in the first place.

LucaGol
09-13-2008, 06:11 PM
How many right backs in MLS are better than Wynne? Srsly

Tbh, as weird as this is to say, other than Frankie Hejduk, there really are no pure, out and out right backs in MLS.

Pure meaning, the protypical marauding right wing back who patrols the flank all game long on offense and defense, can whip in some serious dangerous balls, and is a good passer of the football.

So to answer the question, Frankie Hejduk, but that's about it.

sweetlemon69
09-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Right backs don't need to finish.

Right backs, with the speed of Wynne, need to be able to run that line, distribute and cross. He can't do that.

ASIDE from Wynne, I think we played great today. I hope Robbo's ok... his injury looked serious...

iansmcl
09-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Is that the anthem I hear being played over the loud speaker in the background?

At the end of the game? That was Our Town, with the video. Pretty nifty.

Anyone that was at the game for a while after it ended... did all those cop cars head to the stadium? (Ten or so cars, I think it were).

yellowfellow
09-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Just came back from the game. My fiancee didn't go and she was working in the building where Shoeless is. She told me that she could hear the chants from inside the building. Keep up the chanting, boys and girls!!!

tylerdangelo
09-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Wynne made some key stops today and played a very strong defensive game. If anything i am dissapointed in Ruiz...he showed a lack of initiative and intensity. When the ball came near him he never attacked he just sat back and let the crew defense win posession.

Blazer
09-13-2008, 06:32 PM
I’ve always considered myself to be a fairly unbiased sports fan of all the teams I cheer for but it’s becoming increasingly frustrating to watch - game after game, referees making blatant calls in favour of anyone that is not a Red?! Am I being unreasonable? Am I a sore loser? I’m miffed.

We played like shit today regardless and barely deserved the point. No midfield presence, turnover after turnover, and we were gassed by the 75th minute. This is not a good team right now at all.

tylerdangelo
09-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Not being a sore loser what so ever. That ref was utter garbage. It was unbelievable the amount of hand balls he missed that could have gave us decent set play chances. He also managed to miss two identical calls for us that he gave to columbus on the penalty. We lucked out with Sutton not being called for leaving his line early. All in all, too many missed chances

Jack
09-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Wynne wasn't horrible, but he wasn't great either.

He needs to work on his touch and on his awareness. We had some pressure on a Crew clearance came back to him and he just headed it right back to them.

No question that he works hard and makes some decent plays, also no question that he can sometimes get lost out there.

Blazer
09-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Missed chances are going to happen for both teams though. I’m sure Columbus feels they missed several sitters also. We just could not control the ball in the midfield – moreover we turned the ball over way too often.

Jack
09-13-2008, 06:55 PM
It was an up and down match, for sure.

Dichio brought a good spark.

Pachuco
09-13-2008, 06:59 PM
So after todays game, I walked home with 3 crew fans today.

Needless to say, they were in awe of our setup. Fans, Stadium, QUALITY OF OUR FULL SQUAD TEAM, and food. They were hardcore fans, been hardcore since columbus's inception. This showed me that we have such a quality product, it's not even funny. BTW, for all the nah'sayers out there, we should be so proud to have earned a point today.

I'm happy with Ruiz. Remember, first time at home. First time on a WET TURF pitch (does anyone here play on BMO when it's wet? They know how ass it is to accommodate). Carver had him and Barret first half subbing for attacking striker every 10 mins approx, so the dynamic between barret and guevara will improve.

I still think Wynne needs to go. He is unbelievable at speed, but his marking, zoning, first touch, crossing and distribution is quite inexperienced/horrible. I would have rathered Hunter played right back then him.

Overall, I'm very happy with the way we played. I cannot wait for our ENTIRE squad to gel together. Remember this is the first time since like what, June, since we've ALL played together? This season "MAY" be a write off (OBVIOUSLY I want us to make the playoffs), but I am SOOOOO stoked for next season, after we are all comfortable with each other.

I personally think our squad will be the same through the ENTIRE next season, as it was in the beginning of this season.

TFC!

Oh my lord. Wynned needs to go and you were happy with Ruiz's walking performance today? what the hell game were you watching? Ruiz was the worst player on the field today. He walked the entire game. Way to go Carver for recognizing that and taking off Barrett instead.

dag
09-13-2008, 07:00 PM
I thought overall the lads played well today - except for the instance where we conceded the Columbus goal - the back four didn't do their job.

While we needed three points, a draw against Columbus was a respectable result.

MEU
09-13-2008, 07:06 PM
You are on crack.

Wynne made a lot of great stops today and as a defender, that is what he is paid to do. Ruiz on the other hand was a HUGE disapoointment to me. He was offside 75% of the time, hardly ran after the ball, he was ball watching most of the time, until Dichio came in. In all honesty, he clicked more with Dichio than Guevara or Barrett. Ruiz should have been subbed off at 60mins with J. Smith (not the Kiwi).

Inswingingwingman
09-13-2008, 07:08 PM
I have not problem with M. Wynn..

Get a life

Lots of

Blazer
09-13-2008, 07:13 PM
It was an up and down match, for sure.

Dichio brought a good spark.

I musta missed that spark?! I saw complacency and exhaustion after he came in.

Angelo1405
09-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Just saw the highlights...the moment where Carl Robinson scored that gol, my ears popped...the Roar of the crowd was so loud, i thought i was watching highlites of a Boca x River match. and it wasn't just a 1 second "Yay !", it was "AHHHHHHHHHHHH" for 10 seconds straight....nice. performance of the crowd was Excellent. unfortunatly, the players cant seem to even win against the crew in 2 years...

http://web.mlsnet.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?w=mms%3A//a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2008/open/topplays/09/091308_coctor_robinson_goal_400.wmv&pid=top_plays&cid=mlb&fid=top_plays350&v=2&_mp=1

wzhxvy
09-13-2008, 07:15 PM
At the end of the game? That was Our Town, with the video. Pretty nifty.

Anyone that was at the game for a while after it ended... did all those cop cars head to the stadium? (Ten or so cars, I think it were).

They were all headed to the Bus on the North End...does anyone know what happened ???

greatwhitenorf
09-13-2008, 07:17 PM
I barely even recognize the team. Different guys every week... no results no matter who it is. I'm not watching again until next season.

Then don't post either. Who are ya? Who needs ya?

Go support Ar5ena1, you pansy.

Chevy
09-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Got a great shot of Ruiz with my new camera. Check it out!

http://www.portlandetc.org/assets/images/Pylon.jpg

Jack
09-13-2008, 07:21 PM
I musta missed that spark?! I saw complacency and exhaustion after he came in.

Well, he definitely did a better job of battling the Crew defenders for the aerial balls and getting involved in buildup play. That's the spark I saw from him.

Barret hasn't got the same touch as DD and plays a different game.

Blazer
09-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Oh, I thought you meant overall team "spark". He seemed interested himself I suppose when he came in, sure.

greatwhitenorf
09-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Well, the Columbus mob aren't alone in their appreciation of our set up and our team. Had two visitors from Scotland with us today and both were awestruck at what we have here. They loved everything they saw and heard at BMO Field.

And both wondered if Edu was good enough for Rangers, why wasn't some bigger club snapping up Wynne? They thought he was top class.

Yohan
09-13-2008, 07:33 PM
I still can't believe there were Crew fans that made the road trip in decent numbers. Biggest away crowd at BMO?

wzhxvy
09-13-2008, 07:41 PM
1. I thought both James and Wynne had good games today.

2. Not as upset about Ruiz as others, I think he deserves more chances to show what he can do. Now Barret...I would like to see more from...didnt have his best game today.

3. I didnt think Brennan had his best game either...he is probably still recovering from the Mexico game.

4. And watch the replay of that goal, and tell me we dont miss Edu. Yes we were ball watching but the midfield was absent !

5. What is going on with the East Stands ? Do these people not want their seats because there are real fans who would kill for those seats...from a dead zone to an empty zone...not good.

Blazer
09-13-2008, 07:44 PM
To me the east has just fallen right off. In attendance sure but 111 has been dismal lately. Disappointing for sure.

sidney
09-13-2008, 07:49 PM
1 point is much better than 0 points....onwards and upwards Lads!!!

rocker
09-13-2008, 08:05 PM
i didn't think Ruiz was as bad as people have said here. at least not in the first half. he was unlucky, and the ref was shit not to call certain manhandling by Crew players on him... I still can't believe that one where he was roughed up for about 5 yards...shoulda been a card for the crew.

but he was really putting in a big effort, particularly going into challenges in the air. he is out of sync with his teammates though (but that was a problem with many of the players today.. so many missed passes).

felipe
09-13-2008, 08:06 PM
I thought that ruiz did a reasonable Cunningham impression today; very good at doing nothing in particular or particularly trying

Kickit09
09-13-2008, 08:08 PM
I still can't believe there were Crew fans that made the road trip in decent numbers. Biggest away crowd at BMO?

i bet there wont be nearly as many next time, if any. i'm pretty sure they learned their lesson in the parking lot after the game.

Blazer
09-13-2008, 08:17 PM
1 point is much better than 0 points....onwards and upwards Lads!!!

Admire the optimism but 1 point served us no purpose today.

Oldtimer
09-13-2008, 08:17 PM
My thoughts:

(1) The pitch was very slippery. I wasn't sure if that fall that led to that awful PK call was a dive or he just slipped.

(2) Team chemistry is weak (what a surprise for a team that hasn't played together very much recently).

(3) The Crew dominated possession at times, but couldn't capitalize much.

(4) We had sooo many close chances. That seems to be the story of this team since last year.

(5) The ref was blind and deaf. He was pretty bad, just not horrible like some other refs have been.

(6) The noise is up but the enthusiasm is down. I'm sure that MLSE is taking note: when a team plays crappy for a long time, attendance drops.

(7) A tie was a decent result against the first-place team. However, we needed more (not that a playoff spot is likely).

(8) Guevara played both brilliantly and horribly (giving the ball away). I thought it was probably tiredness after playing for his national team. Nice to see him out there, though, I didn't expect it.

(9) Danny D is really good at winning balls in the air and at heading balls. Putting him in at the 60 mark is a good idea.

(10) What was wrong with Ruiz?

(11) This was not a very good day for Jimmy B.

(12) The Crew fans did represent (it must have been over 50% of their supporters). It was nice to see the Crew applaud their fans, TFC doesn't always do that on the road (probably due to shame).

JonO
09-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Did anyone see Robinson do his trademark windmill goal celebration in the replays of the match highlights? I love it! I don't know why people like DeVos say he's got to work on it. The only better one in my view was Dichio's celebration earlier this year (against DC I think) where he just ran to the corner flag, picked it up and presented it to the South End.
I'm pretty sure that was the NEE

Corcai
09-13-2008, 08:25 PM
I am just waiting for 3..... 3 good touches on the ball in a row. For fuck's sake can TFC just concentrate on 1...2.. then a 3rd controlled touch on the fucking ball.

I fucking hate sloppy play. There is no fucking excuse for it.

Jack
09-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Did Robbo do the windmill again? The "Robbo".

I was too busy going apeshit at the time to see his celebration.

That's awesome!

We were singing "Do the Robbo" to the tune of "Do the hustle" while windmilling our arms one night at Shoeless.

tlear
09-13-2008, 08:42 PM
James is useless, we need to buy defenders a whole bunch of them..

Ruiz played decently but I think him and Guevara ran out of gas in the second half. I am also hoping that Robo's injury is not too bad. Many players were tired from WC qualifiers and travel.

What happened to Barret? He did not see like himself today at all, left Ruiz hanging where he should have supported him on a few occasions.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Not a bad game today very entertaining, we deserved better yet again, but a point is apoint....the ref calling the penalty was way off base...but enough about him,
the second half TFC seemed to defend way too much, the Crew is a decent side
this season...maybe good enough to go all the way to the MLS Cup final?

Chevy
09-13-2008, 08:48 PM
What happened in the parking lot???

Jack
09-13-2008, 08:55 PM
What happened in the parking lot???

Not really that much. I don't get why security didn't wait a while before taking them out after the game like they do with us when we're on the road.

Would have avoided all the ruckus.

NateDoGG
09-13-2008, 08:56 PM
great goal by robi
we should of had a win today tho...

anyways the season is a loss either way, lets just see some good matches b4 we hang up the boots for the season, dichio better score a goal soon! we need a confidence booster

Sonny Cheeba
09-13-2008, 08:57 PM
do you expect security at BMO to actually know what they're doing?

Jack
09-13-2008, 08:57 PM
do you expect security at BMO to actually know what they're doing?

*sigh*:noidea:

Blazer
09-13-2008, 09:00 PM
You mean to tell me that security (police included) don't know what they're doing SC? But they seem so concerned and passionate about their job at games. *sarcastic grin*

RPB_Brantford_08
09-13-2008, 09:00 PM
My thoughts:

(1) The pitch was very slippery. I wasn't sure if that fall that led to that awful PK call was a dive or he just slipped.

(2) Team chemistry is weak (what a surprise for a team that hasn't played together very much recently).

(3) The Crew dominated possession at times, but couldn't capitalize much.

(4) We had sooo many close chances. That seems to be the story of this team since last year.

(5) The ref was blind and deaf. He was pretty bad, just not horrible like some other refs have been.

(6) The noise is up but the enthusiasm is down. I'm sure that MLSE is taking note: when a team plays crappy for a long time, attendance drops.

(7) A tie was a decent result against the first-place team. However, we needed more (not that a playoff spot is likely).

(8) Guevara played both brilliantly and horribly (giving the ball away). I thought it was probably tiredness after playing for his national team. Nice to see him out there, though, I didn't expect it.

(9) Danny D is really good at winning balls in the air and at heading balls. Putting him in at the 60 mark is a good idea.

(10) What was wrong with Ruiz?

(11) This was not a very good day for Jimmy B.

(12) The Crew fans did represent (it must have been over 50% of their supporters). It was nice to see the Crew applaud their fans, TFC doesn't always do that on the road (probably due to shame).

1) the watered the pitch as the gates opened they really put a lot on,
then the rain didn't help matters.

5) the REF....Sucks but then they all have this year..

NateDoGG
09-13-2008, 09:01 PM
who gives a shit about what the pitch was like
these guys are pro's
they can play on anything, blamming the pitch is pointless. they have spent more time playin in the rain then we have walking in the rain,

NateDoGG
09-13-2008, 09:02 PM
5) the REF....Sucks but then they all have this year..

john carver is that u?
john, we're not in england, u cant bash the refs the Entire season

but what We can do, is blame the coach, at the end of the season

colman1860
09-13-2008, 09:18 PM

Sutton definitely got lucky on the PK. However, the reason the ref waved off the offside is because the ball came from a TFC player (which the linesman couldnt see because he was on the other side of the field and the ref was right there). Seemed all right to me. Also, Ruiz fell over the ball. Man, was he ever useless today.

Shakes McQueen
09-13-2008, 09:42 PM
After taking my dad to his first football match (he doesn't follow it at all), he made the following observations:

1) Half of the fun of a football match, is watching and listening to all of the fan craziness around him.

2) "I don't know what the deal with that Ruiz guy was, but he was really bad."

3) "Number 9 there is playing really well." (Dichio)

- Scott

Sonny Cheeba
09-13-2008, 09:46 PM
After taking my dad to his first football match (he doesn't follow it at all), he made the following observations:

1) Half of the fun of a football match, is watching and listening to all of the fan craziness around him.

2) "I don't know what the deal with that Ruiz guy was, but he was really bad."

3) "Number 9 there is playing really well." (Dichio)

- Scott

awww cute.

when i took my dad to the montreal game all he said during the game was "FOR FUCKS SAKE!"

but after he said "it really felt like going to the football again". he's scottish, for some reason they call it "the football" as a short form of "the football match". he was quite impressed with not just the cheering, but the crowd reaction to the play on the field. he was happy that the majority of people around us actually understood and paid attention to the game.

deltox
09-13-2008, 10:01 PM
the penalty.

good save

but in the replay, Sutton clearly left his line before the ball was kicked.

the penalty should have been retaken

BakaGaijin
09-13-2008, 10:04 PM
James is useless, we need to buy defenders a whole bunch of them..

Ruiz played decently but I think him and Guevara ran out of gas in the second half. I am also hoping that Robo's injury is not too bad. Many players were tired from WC qualifiers and travel.

James should not be starting. He's a back up at best. Marshall is brutal as well.

Ruiz was not as useless as others have criticized. Ruiz and Guevara had some nice one-two passing plays and created some nice build ups. I think we need one more player with similiar quality as the two of them to really get the offense going.

Blazer
09-13-2008, 10:10 PM
the penalty.

good save

but in the replay, Sutton clearly left his line before the ball was kicked.

the penalty should have been retaken

Shhhhhhhhhh...they'll hear you and hold it over our heads!

tylerdangelo
09-13-2008, 10:23 PM
All i have to say is Ruiz show a lack of enthusiasm today and he deserved to be taken off in the first half of the game today.

andyc
09-13-2008, 10:38 PM
All i have to say is Ruiz show a lack of enthusiasm today and he deserved to be taken off in the first half of the game today.

Hmmm I wonder what the anti-Brit Carver haters would have said if he's pulled Ruiz off in the first half.... :noidea:

tylerdangelo
09-13-2008, 10:42 PM
whether or not carver shows negativities towards south america/spanish players is debateable...but as a coach you have to make decisions that benefit your team and can help you win games...i just think keeping ruiz in was a mistake. taking him off early would have put Ruiz in his place and he would have got the message that a loaf of bread could have played better than him today.

andyc
09-13-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you just commenting on some of the BS on this board...

tylerdangelo
09-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Fair enough. Reading your post for the third and fourth time i see what you meant now. However the others are entitled to their own opinions. As much as i think Marvel Wynne ( whose nickname should be spider man) played a solid defensive game, i could have missed some major mistakes by him. it is a possibility.

Blazer
09-13-2008, 11:01 PM
General Piece of Advice: Do not take anything on this board seriously or to heart. It’s composed of 85% bullshit written by 95% of us who are full of the stuff. The rest really isn't worth reading...~grin~

tylerdangelo
09-14-2008, 12:02 AM
you killed the thread btw :P

Blazer
09-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Hey - shit happens.

Keegan
09-14-2008, 02:00 AM
4. And watch the replay of that goal, and tell me we dont miss Edu. Yes we were ball watching but the midfield was absent !

We don't miss Edu. You think Edu wouldn't have ball watched. Edu WROTE THE BOOK on ball watching.

jloome
09-14-2008, 03:31 AM
After a few hours to let it sink in, a good gig at a local club with my band, and two extemely sore feet.....

* James blew it on the goal. Marshall slid in to block the shot and instead of staying upright behind him and closing the gap in centre half, James also slid in to block, leaving us wide open. He had some good moments today, too, though.

* We generally played well throughout. I'm not sure why some people here think Columbus dominated; we had 52% of the possession and outshot them, and our close play was more dangerous.

* Ruiz wasn't as bad as people here suggest; watching the two plays in the box where he went down, there was significant contact in both, and in the first instance and out-and-out shove. He also linked up well with Guevara and Barrett a couple of times. His movement looked quite rusty and he quit on the ball a couple of times. But he wasn't awful.

*Someone suggested Wynne looked lost. Whatever you're smoking, I want some for my achin' feet, because it must be truly narcotic. I'm one of the biggest critics of his positioning issues on this board, but he had one of his best games of the season today defensively and saved a goal twice.

* I like Carver but I find it worrisome after we went up that every time they showed him on the sideline, he was laughing and joking, when he should have been screaming at them to keep the intensity up. We scored, played well, played well, straggled a little, sat back a little, sat back a lot, boom, 1-1. Same old story. It should also be noted that the shot was only about six feet off the ground. Sutton absolutely, force of the drive notwithstanding, should have got a hand on it and touched it over.

*Love Ricketts but he seemed too tentative today. He's got to be more aggressive; every time he is, he succeeds.

I know we need more, but we've still got six games left in which to get some points. If they put in the effort they put in for most of this game, we have a chance.

*They showed the Columbus fans on TV a few minutes into the game. They truly, for the most part, looked terrified of their surroundings.

Shakes McQueen
09-14-2008, 03:43 AM
*They showed the Columbus fans on TV a few minutes into the game. They truly, for the most part, looked terrified of their surroundings.

I saw a Columbus fan with his girlfriend before the game, and I shouted "WHO ARE YA??" at him, from about 5 feet away. He turned around and just sort of looked at me, and then I said "just kidding - kudos for making the trip for your team, haha"

I imagine they aren't used to such a fan presence at their home games - I wouldn't blame them for looking disoriented.

Good for them for making the road trip though - dedicated supporters groups for all of the clubs only makes the league stronger.

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
09-14-2008, 04:24 AM
Gotta agree with Jloome about Ricketts.
Dude is capable and knows it but oddly enough needs to be reminded about tackling, hard challenges and getting in the muck with regards to the other team. If he could only do this without a reminder, oh sweet god, how good itd be (granted theres alot of players that need this reminder but for some reason, he springs to mind)

Hornet Abroad
09-14-2008, 07:38 AM
A few observations from the West Side.

Stop throwing things on the pitch. I know the MLS organisation is full of morons but it still won't take them long to come to the conclusion that they need to ban home supporters to protect the players or even worse ban beer. I emigrated and travelled across the ocean so I could drink beer at a football game, don't ruin it for me now. I agree that the streamers on corners are encouraging the knee-jerk neanderthols to throw anything they have in their hands onto the pitch when something bad happens. It's beer, it's precious, drink, don't throw it away.

Guevara! Hmmmm I liked him when he first came to us and he's scored a couple of fantastic free-kicks but for me, he loses the ball way too often. You should try the little drag-back or the swivel once or twice in the game, not every f'ing time you get the ball. He tries to run between defenders when he should pass and he tries to pass when there's noone open. Don't even get me started on the diving, I really hate that.

For those who want to give Ruiz a chance I say fair enough but if you are still saying that on 2 games time beware. He is a striker, his job is to score goals and he doesn't look like he's going to do that in a month of Sundays, Barrett tries and often misses, Dichio puts himself about and gets in good positions, even Cunningham had something about him that made defenders think. Ruiz just seems like he's taking up space to me. If he scores a hat-trick next week I'll smile, apologise and smack the Arsenal fan in front of me for being an idiot.

On the upside, I got id'd when buying a beer, something that hasn't happened to me in 20 years so all in all it was a good day!! :)

Blazer
09-14-2008, 08:46 AM
^ Haha, great post HA.

poppamidnight
09-14-2008, 09:24 AM

I agree... Ibee looked like he couldhve gone in there, and frankly, his shiftyness (or effort) wouldh've opened up alot more space.

And Jarrod over Johann????
.........Why, just why???

Theres one reason, and one reason only as to why Jarrod is sitll on our roster:
We need to keep him as the player to be taken from us in the "expansion draft", possibly saving someone else (a Canadian???) on our roster

I guess i can just add these to the ever-growing "Carvers-Clueless-Subs" lists
(75% of which is putting in Cunny over someone who would at least show effort)

Kickit09
09-14-2008, 10:06 AM
anyone taken a look at the standings today. KC won yesterday so we now hold sole possession of last place in the east. not only that but we are 1 point away from dead last in the MLS, and LA will pass us without a doubt meaning we will finish year 2 dead last in the MLS again. pathetic. fuck Mo and his 5 year plan.

:banghead:

Jack
09-14-2008, 10:09 AM
anyone taken a look at the standings today. KC won yesterday so we now hold sole possession of last place in the east. not only that but we are 1 point away from dead last in the MLS, and LA will pass us without a doubt meaning we will finish year 2 dead last in the MLS again. pathetic. fuck Mo and his 5 year plan.

:banghead:

Well...we've still got three years to go. :noidea: :(

Kickit09
09-14-2008, 10:33 AM
right now we have 2 points more than we finished with last year, with 6 games to go. based on the fact we've won 1 game in the past 12 (MLS games, its actually 1 in 17 including all games) i think its a safe and generous guess to say we'll win 1 more game and maybe a tie. that would mean we finish with 5 or 6 more points than last year. considering the terrible season we had last year, I wouldn’t consider a 5-6 point improvement a success or even progress. especially considering SJ will finish with more than that. this season is nothing short of terrible. and at a 5-6 point improvement a year, we wont see playoffs for another 2-3 years if we're lucky. so i guess mo was right, 5 years. 5 years to make the playoffs....terrible, just terrible.

Jack
09-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Well, if you improve 5 or 6 points per year for five years, then you're going to be near the top of the league after 5 years :D

Kickit09
09-14-2008, 12:29 PM
but remember, as more teams join mls its only going to get harder and take more points to make the playoffs.

ua-kozak_TFC
09-14-2008, 12:40 PM
* Ruiz wasn't as bad as people here suggest; watching the two plays in the box where he went down, there was significant contact in both, and in the first instance and out-and-out shove. He also linked up well with Guevara and Barrett a couple of times. His movement looked quite rusty and he quit on the ball a couple of times. But he wasn't awful.

i just wanted to remind you that this is a guy who we are paying almost 450k a season... i think he was far from the best player on the pitch and i think the guy is kinda out of shape....

Sonny Cheeba
09-14-2008, 12:44 PM
man Ruiz decided to complain about a handball and just stand there when the ref clearly wasn't going to give it, instead he could have tried to keep the ball up the field, he was only a couple of metres out of the box.

and the crew just took it back into our half. i'd rather him not play like a little bitch.

jloome
09-14-2008, 01:08 PM
i just wanted to remind you that this is a guy who we are paying almost 450k a season... i think he was far from the best player on the pitch and i think the guy is kinda out of shape....

No, we got him on a pro-rated contract. He was being paid $460,000 by LA and they picked up some of the remainder. We're in for less than $160,000.

Good point, though.

It's interesting to me to ponder whether guys like Ruiz and Cunningham would do better with top level service. I think both flourished in the league not because the talent level was necessarily much lower but because it was less diluted; they both got great service and scored a lot because they usually had good providers around them.

Take Ruiz: a few days before last night's mediocre showing he scored two for Guatemala. And you don't carry a nearly 1-in-2 games scoring ratio for most of your career unless you know what you're doing. Plus, he's only 28.

May also be that years of putting up with MLS issues has taken some of the fire out of their bellies, or they just don't care that much anymore. An earlier poster noted the same with Guevara, and I can tell you that, flopping aside, he was far more of a team player for Honduras against Canada than he was for us yesterday.

CoachGT
09-14-2008, 01:12 PM

Actually, that was something that I wondered if anyone else noticed. The Crew team didn't just give their fans a round of applause, they walked right over to the corner and did it. Something that happened regularly last year by TFC, but hasn't happened much at all, home or road, this year.

While I understand that the players are not happy with coming out of games with one point, or when they haven't played well, but what would BMO be like if the fans took a day off (like the first half of the All Star game)? Staying at midfield and doing a quick clap doesn't cut it. A little more appreciation on the field would go a long, long way to making the fortress even more forbidding for other teams!

BuSaPuNk
09-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Yeah like the ref that is behind the action has a better view of an offside than the side official? lmao what a joke. They really need to step up on there referees. Bring some quality officials in.

phonzo
09-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Couple of handballs that were never called..but meh we can bitch about the reffing all year right?

Ruiz..give him a few more games but he does seem ridiculously lazy at times..oh look a ball i'm just going to shuffle on over to it..oh its gone, well time to start the long walk back to midfield.

Gueverra started off really strong earlier in the season but lately I'm more and more disappointed with is performance not sure what it is.

Barret...playing with heart and hopefully with a bit more coaching we can mold quite the striker out of him.

A few times when I thought holy shit we've learned to complete passes only to be disappointed a few seconds later. But overall a tie with a "good" team can't complain to much :)

Blazer
09-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Yeah like the ref that is behind the action has a better view of an offside than the side official? lmao what a joke. They really need to step up on there referees. Bring some quality officials in.

You have to remember that 4th or 5th tiered soccer in the world (and that might be generous) is going to bring upon 4th or 5th tiered refereeing. It sucks but it is what it is.