PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Freeman Signs with TFC

Blizzard
09-11-2008, 10:33 PM
http://www.metrofanatic.com/story.jsp?ID=4948 (http://www.metrofanatic.com/story.jsp?ID=4948)

Lucky Strike
09-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Interesting, I've heard of him but that's it. Does anyone know more about him? Aside from wiki that is...

werewolf
09-11-2008, 10:35 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_Freeman

Seems he has signed with Norway beginning 2009, rent-a-player down the stretch it appears.

werewolf
09-11-2008, 10:37 PM
and that is a second division Norwegian team too...

TFC USA
09-11-2008, 10:41 PM
A body! I guess it;s nice.

dantdot
09-11-2008, 10:45 PM
That exclamation mark on TFC got me excited but then I was like :sosp:

Daveisonfire
09-11-2008, 10:49 PM

lol agreed

Nuvinho
09-11-2008, 11:02 PM
What did we give up for this 7 game rent a player?

Bluenose13
09-11-2008, 11:08 PM
What did we give up for this 7 game rent a player?It would have to be something very minor......looks like a solid depth move for the remainder of the season.

jloome
09-11-2008, 11:24 PM
This is the guy Bruce Arena thought was good enough to make trading Marvell Wynne worthwhile; didn't really work out though. But he can play DM as well, so I guess it's good depth.

Roogsy
09-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Is depth what we need right now? Depth is something you work on when you have a successful starting XI. We don't have that. I don't give two shits about depth when the guys on the pitch aren't getting results and haven't been for 2 months!

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Goodbye Harmse?

werewolf
09-12-2008, 01:23 AM
or we could have just kept Pat Phelan....

Wooster_TFC
09-12-2008, 05:52 AM
This is a solid move, means that if you have a couple of our D gone, we at least don't get stuck playing Harmse at the back again.

We had a free roster spot, and likely the cap space, so why not make the move? You get a player that you don't have to "upset" by releasing at the end of the year, since he's leaving anyways, and you get cover for a position that is sorely lacking.

Right now I don't see any downside to this move, but will reserve final judgment until it's official and I know what we gave up for him.

Oldtimer
09-12-2008, 07:29 AM
This is a solid move, means that if you have a couple of our D gone, we at least don't get stuck playing Harmse at the back again.

We had a free roster spot, and likely the cap space, so why not make the move? You get a player that you don't have to "upset" by releasing at the end of the year, since he's leaving anyways, and you get cover for a position that is sorely lacking.

Right now I don't see any downside to this move, but will reserve final judgment until it's official and I know what we gave up for him.

I agree. Adding to our bench is not a bad thing for a team that's still trying for the playoffs.

Shaughno
09-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Is depth what we need right now? Depth is something you work on when you have a successful starting XI. We don't have that. I don't give two shits about depth when the guys on the pitch aren't getting results and haven't been for 2 months!

So if we can't sign 'impact' players, we shouldn't bother signing depth players because they won't be starting games? Seems like fools logic to me. I'd much rather continually upgrade our squad UNTIL we have a successful starting XI.

Nuvinho
09-12-2008, 07:36 AM
if Freeman is a TFC player, anyway Mo and JC can convince him to stay here next year.

Carts
09-12-2008, 07:38 AM
I know nothing about this guy, but if he is a solid defender this seems like a "Velez is suspended 2-games and I don't trust our bench to fill his spot" type of move...

Hopefully it works out...

Carts...

druid
09-12-2008, 08:21 AM
Isn't he a right back who can kind of play right mid?

I'm assuming this is temporary cover for Wynne while Nana Attakora-Gyan is injured.

Perhaps it would also allow Rickets to be moved somewhere else on the pitch during the game if needed.

MG42
09-12-2008, 08:39 AM

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/i-lold.jpg

Pigfynn
09-12-2008, 08:57 AM
If his Facebook really said "Off to Toronto to start anew" or whatever...Will he really be leaving in January?

joel
09-12-2008, 10:12 AM
if Freeman is a TFC player, anyway Mo and JC can convince him to stay here next year.

Dude he signed a contract with another team already. If it wasn't signed NYRB wouldn't be benching him

Nodoubtguy
09-12-2008, 10:30 AM
from soccer by ives...

Toronto FC has acquired right back Hunter Freeman from the New York Red Bulls for two supplemental draft picks, sources with knowledge of the deal told SBI on Friday morning.
Freeman leaves the Red Bulls after two seasons. He will join a Toronto squad desperate for some depth after recent World Cup qualifiers left the club's roster bare. TFC had been in discussion with the Red Bulls about Freeman for several weeks.

Pachuco
09-12-2008, 10:42 AM
from soccer by ives...

WTF? 2 draft picks for a player that will get you 7 games? And this guy is supposed to be depth?

Nuvinho
09-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Dude he signed a contract with another team already. If it wasn't signed NYRB wouldn't be benching him

We can still sign him it seems.

Here are some more detals on the trade: It includes a clause that will force TFC to give the Red Bulls a 2011 second-round MLS SuperDraft pick if Freeman re-signs with Toronto FC at any point in 2009 (Freeman's MLS contract is up on Dec. 31 and he is set to join Norwegian club IK Start on Jan. 1). If Freeman returns to MLS after 2009, his MLS rights would revert back to the Red Bulls, with no compensation being owed to Toronto.

Nodoubtguy
09-12-2008, 10:44 AM
WTF? 2 draft picks for a player that will get you 7 games? And this guy is supposed to be depth?

two supplemental draft picks, not superdraft.....

Nuvinho
09-12-2008, 10:45 AM

2 supplementary draft picks. I remember Mo only used 1 of the 4 he got last year.

Pachuco
09-12-2008, 10:47 AM
two supplemental draft picks, not superdraft.....

ohhhh...haha. I got it. Was just about to lose it on Mo.

2 supplemental draft picks are like trading 2 bags of hammers, way to go Mo. :D

joel
09-12-2008, 10:47 AM
We can still sign him it seems.

they are just covering their butts if freeman doesn't play a full season in norway and comes back to tfc. After 2009 they retain his rights anyway. It's just so the draft picks etc are appropriate.

Dub Narcotic
09-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Is Gabe Gala really in the doghouse?

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Dude plays wing, we got plenty of dudes there that have more experience, give him time, he will play there but hes still young (19?)

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 11:25 AM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/09/toronto-acquire.html

its official

Corpand
09-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Oh well, better than nothing.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Pretty much, its a bandaid and it doesnt hurt us.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Supplemental drafts are useless to us due to the fact that the players are overwhelmingly international and theres no sense taking a gamble on some unproven uni student thatll cost you an international slot.

Shaughno
09-12-2008, 11:48 AM
^^ Agreed, hence why Mo didn't want to use them last year. Good depth pick up IMO.

GabrielHurl
09-12-2008, 01:14 PM
on club site as well

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080912&content_id=187406&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

BuSaPuNk
09-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Great depth pick. Is it likely that he will be in the lineup Saturday?

lintberg
09-12-2008, 02:04 PM
It's official and listed on the TFC website.

giambac
09-12-2008, 03:00 PM

This move was a total waste of time.

He is gone after the season. So why bring him here now? The season is done for us so we don't need depth players that will not play a role in our future.

If your going to bring someone in it should be someone you are looking at for next year.

Mo completed the transaction just for the sake of it, so he can say he is looking at players and trying his best and so that supporters get off his back

joel
09-12-2008, 03:03 PM

He is gone after the season. So why bring him here now? The season is done for us so we don't need depth players that will not play a role in our future.

If your going to bring someone in it should be someone you are looking at for next year.

Mo completed the transaction just for the sake of it, so he can say he is looking at players and trying his best and so that supporters get off his back

wow you never have anything useful to say. you seem to know everything is a bad move, and never suggest real solutions. you're quite possibly the worst tfc 'fan' of all time. you are just a professional hater

Since the season is 'done' as you say, shouldn't you go find some other team to complain about, I'm sure the jays could use osmeone like you hating on their late run, and he leafs are starting up soon, you'll be in good company there.

giambac
09-12-2008, 03:11 PM
wow you never have anything useful to say. you seem to know everything is a bad move, and never suggest real solutions. you're quite possibly the worst tfc 'fan' of all time. you are just a professional hater

Since the season is 'done' as you say, shouldn't you go find some other team to complain about, I'm sure the jays could use osmeone like you hating on their late run, and he leafs are starting up soon, you'll be in good company there.

My friend I'm a realist. The team has won 1 game in the past 17. Believe me the season is done like dinner.

Time to think of next year. Hunter Freeman will not be here next season so why even bring him here at all? So he can ride the bench?

Bluenose13
09-12-2008, 03:15 PM
6 points out of a playoff spot with 21 points available.......Lots to play for.

Richard D
09-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Mo's moves are very underwhelming. He needs to stop sweeping the crumbs under the rug and vacuum the room...

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-12-2008, 03:18 PM

you tell em!!:D

Beach_Red
09-12-2008, 03:18 PM
My friend I'm a realist. The team has won 1 game in the past 17. Believe me the season is done like dinner.

Time to think of next year. Hunter Freeman will not be here next season so why even bring him here at all? So he can ride the bench?

There is no such thing as next year. I want to see this team doing everything it can every day and never giving up.

GabrielHurl
09-12-2008, 03:22 PM

He is gone after the season. So why bring him here now? The season is done for us so we don't need depth players that will not play a role in our future

So when we play in Dallas on October 11 and we are missing 9 starters again due to World Cup Qualifying - depth players won't matter?

As bhoybobby is so fond of saying on here "Give your head a shake"

joel
09-12-2008, 03:27 PM

It didn't cost us anything if you know anything about the supplemental draft..and some people,including everyone on TFC doesn't believe in giving up at this point.

Your point makes no sense, you say this is pointless as we should be building for depth next year. But realistically (since you're a realist), there isn't anyone we could get for next year (or this) that is good without giving up better draft picks (if you believe we need depth now).

Giving up better draft picks is a stupid idea, becuase good young talent can add depth, and is good trade bait for the depth you need.

so why deal now and lose draft picks? Freeman deal is one that doesn't cost us anything and gives us more depth, and we retain or good draft picks that we can use to whatever advantage to get the depth we need next year.

invictusTFC
09-12-2008, 03:28 PM

I wouldn't say that its a waste of time. Right now we are hurting on defense and this guy can come in and help us. Lets just say that he is a natural replacement for Dunivant who is out for the remainder of the season. Mo virtually gave up nothing to get him (2 supplemental draft picks - which TFC usually passes on anyways). I'll admit that our playoff hopes dangle by the thinnest of strings but as a fan I don't want to see this team pack it in for the remainder of the season. That will be the ultimate slap in the face of supporters. At the point I'll be happy with watching this team give a genuine effort in the 7 games that they have left. Its a small thing but it will at least help ease what has ultimately been a dissapointing season.

giambac
09-12-2008, 03:30 PM

Yes 6 points out of a playoff spot.

However you have like 5 teams ahead of you competing for the last playoff spot. Even if one or 2 of the teams slump and lose their matches the others will be winning.

giambac
09-12-2008, 03:31 PM
So when we play in Dallas on October 11 and we are missing 9 starters again due to World Cup Qualifying - depth players won't matter?

No it won't becasue if your missing 9 regulars a depth player won't matter. Maybe on the scoreboard it will cahnge the score from 4-0 to
3-0. Does that really matter????;)

Carter
09-12-2008, 03:32 PM
he will start the next 2 games for sure, as Marco will be missing them.

giambac
09-12-2008, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't say that its a waste of time. Right now we are hurting on defense and this guy can come in and help us. Lets just say that he is a natural replacement for Dunivant who is out for the remainder of the season. Mo virtually gave up nothing to get him (2 supplemental draft picks - which TFC usually passes on anyways). I'll admit that our playoff hopes dangle by the thinnest of strings but as a fan I don't want to see this team pack it in for the remainder of the season. That will be the ultimate slap in the face of supporters. At the point I'll be happy with watching this team give a genuine effort in the 7 games that they have left. Its a small thing but it will at least help ease what has ultimately been a dissapointing season.

they should use the players they currently have on the bench, players they haven't used much this year. See how they play. Those players if they impress can help out next year. This dude will be nowhere near T.O. next season, so give our reserve players a chance.

giambac
09-12-2008, 03:36 PM

Okay, i finished giving my head a shake.

Now what?

ManUtd4ever
09-12-2008, 03:36 PM

Exactly, it's a longshot but still entirely possible if TFC can go on a late season run. I'm glad to see Mo hasn't thrown in the towel...

giambac
09-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Exactly, it's a longshot but still entirely possible if TFC can go on a late season run. I'm glad to see Mo hasn't thrown in the towel...

No with this depth move he hasn't thrown in the towel,

He's just thrown in the kitchen sink;)

invictusTFC
09-12-2008, 03:47 PM
they should use the players they currently have on the bench, players they haven't used much this year. See how they play. Those players if they impress can help out next year. This dude will be nowhere near T.O. next season, so give our reserve players a chance.

Under normal circumstances I would agree, but did you look at who was on the bench last game? Gala, Melo, Gaudet, and Monslave none of them defenders. Dunivant is out for the season, Attakora is also injured; Velez was busy getting himself ejected and all the other guys were on Int'l duty. In October this team will probably face the same dilemma. Signing a guy like Freedman will help us not have to depend on a 39 yr.old (Titus), a scout (Regan) and a useless call-up from Vancouver (Diaz).

joel
09-12-2008, 04:02 PM
giambac respond to my comment. it didn't cost us anything, and any other depth move at this point would be a bigger cost to us. Explain why this is a bad move as far as depth is concerned.

rocker
09-12-2008, 04:09 PM
one thing i've learned about MLS is there really isn't a thing called depth. the rosters are too small and the dropoff after the 18th is too great. the way to ensure you don't get screwed is not to get injured. simple as that. if you construct a decent 18 and they play together in 75% or more of the games, you'll do well. if you lose guys to injury or international callups, then there isn't a depth you can call on to replace it.
It's not like the EPL where you turn to your bench and throw on a million dollar sub.

The other thing is ya gotta work out a core bunch that you like and keep them together over the years. but if you can't seem to find that chemistry between a solid 11 right away, the ongoing changes in personnel hurt big time too, maybe as much as injuries do.

This is MLS.

ensco
09-12-2008, 04:14 PM
This guy signed with a second division club in Norway, whose trademark style is "mackerel football"

You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IK_Start

It's the same team Goodson went to last year. Not a great comment on perceived opportunities in MLS, although maybe he just wants to see Europe a la Lapira

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 04:18 PM
This guy signed with a second division club in Norway, whose trademark style is "mackerel football"

Possibly the funniest thing ive ever read in this forum

ensco
09-12-2008, 04:18 PM
By the way, Lapira plays in the same league and has scored 7 goals

http://www.sundet-fotball.no/

ensco
09-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Possibly the funniest thing ive ever read in this forum

Developing a song for this guy that uses the word "mackerel" is a must. :)

jloome
09-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Is Gabe Gala really in the doghouse?

He's left-footed.

GhostPK
09-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Doesnt this new guy play for the US team?

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Hes been called up previously, but hes not a regular

Roogsy
09-12-2008, 09:24 PM
LOL! With our luck, we will develop him, he will improve and he will be called up.

GhostPK
09-12-2008, 09:28 PM
I read this and I was thinking... another international player? WTF?

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 09:40 PM
LOL! With our luck, we will develop him, he will improve and he will be called up.

HAHAHA
that or he'll get scouted by some big team

I read this and I was thinking... another international player? WTF?

HAHAHA if its of any consulation (i dont know how this could be) but hes going to go play in sweden starting Jan 1st

Hes basically a mercenary until the end of the season as we are severely lacking in defence

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 09:45 PM
sorry maybe its norway.
Regardless he wont be here, HA

GhostPK
09-12-2008, 10:04 PM
HAHAHA
that or he'll get scouted by some big team

HAHAHA if its of any consulation (i dont know how this could be) but hes going to go play in sweden starting Jan 1st

Hes basically a mercenary until the end of the season as we are severely lacking in defence

Yeah, I know. I can't wait till the winter transfer season.... We need some good signings.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Oh yeah, im such a huge fan of the offseason as painful as it can be sometimes (see this year)