PDA

View Full Version : Ben Knight: World Cup reality check

Ben Knight
09-12-2008, 10:07 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080912.WBsoccerblog20080912102919/WBStory/WBsoccerblog/

Comments? // Ben

Oldtimer
09-12-2008, 10:22 AM
My 2 cents:

If you were in charge of corporate sponsorships, would you give money to the CSA (knowing that it is going down the drain)? That's one big reason why they can't get sponsors.

Fort York Redcoat
09-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Dire outlook for the future with the tiniest bit of hope to realize our potential.

CSL- Could we not have an end of year tournament between the CSL and the West Coast League? It made Hockey and Football part of our nations fabric a century ago.

olegunnar
09-12-2008, 10:49 AM
I think sometimes we're too focused on our own particular favourite sports.
I think the big question to ask is: why is it that outside of hockey ALL of the national sports agencies are so poorly run?
Basketball Canada is a joke (example: the Triano/Nash/Rautins situation)
The CSA is a joke
The COC has huge flaws
Tennis Canada isn't doing very well
Rugby Canada has been in a downward spiral since the 1995 world cup.
Swim Canada had their coaching crisis in 2004 and now the results have dropped off the map.
The RCGA even has had issues with finding sponsors for the women's open.

A quick search of news articles can find you a lot of articles on how sports agencies are struggling moneywise and sponsorwise and management.

But not hockey.

Oldtimer
09-12-2008, 10:55 AM
BTW Ben, Renee Simoes has been fired!

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/html/20080912T020000-0500_140077_OBS_SHATTERED_DREAMS_.asp

FluSH
09-12-2008, 10:57 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080912.WBsoccerblog20080912102919/WBStory/WBsoccerblog/

Comments? // Ben

Sorry Ben...

Who can I contact at Globe and Mail to reissue my account? I have three accounts there and it won't give me my password for any of them in order to leave comments...

1) First Account was a Student Account
2) Second Account was Investment related (downloaded globeinvestor gold)
3) Third account is my footy talk account

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Excellent article. Now that our World Cup dream is (essentially) dead, something has to give, and it starts at the top. We can get all the MLS teams and stadiums we like, but it won't amount to anything unless the CSA and the crappy provincial associations are completely overhauled.

GuelphStorm2007
09-15-2008, 11:49 AM
I totally agree that the CSA and the stupid provincial assocations have to start working together or we will be left behind. Hell look at Australia they had to overhual there Soccer Associations. and look at them now.

alexintoronto
09-15-2008, 12:15 PM
I think sometimes we're too focused on our own particular favourite sports.
I think the big question to ask is: why is it that outside of hockey ALL of the national sports agencies are so poorly run?
Basketball Canada is a joke (example: the Triano/Nash/Rautins situation)
The CSA is a joke
The COC has huge flaws
Tennis Canada isn't doing very well
Rugby Canada has been in a downward spiral since the 1995 world cup.
Swim Canada had their coaching crisis in 2004 and now the results have dropped off the map.
The RCGA even has had issues with finding sponsors for the women's open.

A quick search of news articles can find you a lot of articles on how sports agencies are struggling moneywise and sponsorwise and management.

But not hockey.

Excellent points. It would be great if the Federal Government got a group of experts together to look at the issues that stop our teams/athletes from being successful. It looks like there are problems with a few of the organizations. It's a joke that Leo Rautins was named head coach of the men's basketball team.