PDA

View Full Version : To The Yanks: Why Toronto FC?

Shakes McQueen
09-12-2008, 06:20 AM
Let me start by saying I apologize if this thread has been created before.

I'm just curious, since I know we have American TFC supporters here - why do you support Toronto FC? What is it that drew you to Toronto's club, of all places?

- Scott

Fort York Redcoat
09-12-2008, 07:02 AM
Some are just closest to us. But I'd like to hear their stories.

Jay P
09-12-2008, 07:27 AM
If I was an american living in the north east US, AND an MLS fan my choices are

RBNY
Revs
Crew
Fire

I'd chose Toronto FC :hump:

Detroit_TFC
09-12-2008, 07:53 AM
I kind of followed the Fire before TFC. I wouldn't call myself a supporter, more of a casual. Never had much interest in the Crew. In fact I really wasn't all that interested in MLS.

I mainly got excited about TFC by reading the boards, both this one (meaning the pre-RPB then RPB boards)and USec. I had a feeling that this would be a hit and it was a good excuse for going to T, which hadn't been doing as much as I would like, so I got season tickets.

keem-o-sabi
09-12-2008, 09:41 AM
I live in the GTA now :) converted from DC fan (I lived in MD for a bit)

TFC USA
09-12-2008, 09:45 AM
I never really followed anyone, but I was just latched on to TFC from day one, the logo, the television coverage, everything!

Plus I'd hate to be a fan of an MLS team that only gets a crowd when Beckham is playing, or a team that has no fans (Crew), or a team that let Mo go free here (RBNY), the list goes on and on. :D

TFC Via Buffalo
09-12-2008, 10:09 AM
I've told this story on here before, but what the hell? Well, I first came to BMO Field for the Under 20 World Cup and had a great time. Then my buddy said he has season tickets but he doesn't come up to many games because nobody will go and was going to get rid of them.

Then,I came with him to the Aston Villa friendly...... and that was it. The South Side was what I've now become used to every game and it was mind blowing and the big reason I became a fan. I'm an (American) Football fan and it was just an atmosphere I've never seen or been a part of. After the game, I told my friend I'm getting in with him next year if he wanted to. We went to the Red Bulls are shite game towards the end of the season and haven't looked back. I haven't missed a home game yet(don't plan on it) and made the drive to Columbus for the opener. Next year is my last year with the tickets as I'm moving to NYC to persue my acting carrer, but I will forever be Toronto Till I Die.

alexintoronto
09-12-2008, 10:35 AM
http://store.barackobama.com/v/vspfiles/photos/BT29629-2.jpg

*Image above posted at the request of werewolf

Oldtimer
09-12-2008, 11:22 AM
I didn't know Obama was a TFC supporter! :lol:

werewolf
09-12-2008, 11:25 AM
this thread has now suffered irreparable damage....there is a good thread going....and now Alex has to ruin it.

alexintoronto
09-12-2008, 12:13 PM
In the interest of fairness, I will post the other choice for our U.S. American friends to make a more informed choice.

http://www.discourse.net/archives/pix/vote-mccain.jpg

I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologize to werewolf for apparently ruining his enjoyment of the Internet.

P.S. John McCain supports Columbus

werewolf
09-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Obama will win New Jersey.
The Red Bulls play in New Jersey.
The Red Bulls are shite.

I can make the connection.

TFC Via Buffalo
09-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Obama will win New Jersey.
The Red Bulls play in New Jersey.
The Red Bulls are shite.

I can make the connection.

McCain may win Ohio.
The KKKrew play in Ohio.
The KKKrew are racists.

I can make connections too. :cool:

werewolf
09-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Ohio = lesser of two evils.

Nothing is worse then the Shite Bulls, ever, in the history of all things shite. I am actually expecting landycakes to be traded there in the off-season.

Ladies Love Julius James
09-12-2008, 12:32 PM
New Jersey/New York > Columbus

Inswingingwingman
09-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Yer Ewe-Ess pawlitcks ee-lewd me. Yer Barracks again' yer Paul-in. Demoncrats and Re-Publicans. I was for Publicans. We need a "we won the war, go home Yankee" chant. Sure it was 1812, but we should re-create the spirit.

An yup I'm aware yer Pee-Air Burton claims they really lost due to not bringing shoes or boots, and our artificially frozen up ground hurt their feet. Soon 'nuff the ground might freeze and they will want heated arti-factual turf instead of frezze dried tundra.

Nother reason yer Otterwa's shouldn't get a team. Too close to perma-frost froze grass, though the pawli- tishuns in yer common house might make enough hot air for to keep the place heated up. Come ta think of it we could get rid if the green cabin gasses if we just stopped the hot air from yer parliment bawdy house. Just get your Liebrals, Con serveustives, Old DP's, and Block-heads to shut their pie holes.

Yer Yanks have the ell-aphant and Jack-ass for po-littlecal mascots. TFC needs a mascot, maybe the TFC Moose? Mouse? Big and Horny....think of the moose calls..

And while I'm at er here, how about male cheerleaders. Best beer guts get in. No one under 300 lbs in a bikini. That would dress up yer BM - Owe field. Blonde wigs too. I'd gain the extra 50 pounds if I had a shot...LOL,
Course all this is

tongue in cheek. Don't bite it honey....

Keystone FC
09-13-2008, 03:03 AM
Back on point here.
I think most know my story but I don't mind telling it again.
I was born in Dayton, OH and live in Kettering, OH (just an hour North of Cincinnati). My parents are both from Pennsylvania (Dad - Johnstown) (Mom - Kerrmoor).
Now I am very big into heritage and ancestry and I chose my teams to support based on family history. My father, and his brothers, worked in the Steel Mills of Johnstown so I was a big Steelers fan and seeing as how Johnstown was so close to Pittsburgh I naturally followed all of Pittsburghs' clubs. A few years back at my Mom's family reunion I found out that we had documentation of some Canadian ancestry...Scottish/Canadian to be exact by way of the Ferguson clan. I always thought we had some on my Dads side but it has not been proven.
Anyways, I had played soccer in my youth but I got away from it but took interest in it once I got into my late 20's. I wanted a club to support but there was no way I was going to root for an Ohio club. Then I heard about Toronto possibly getting a club and thought, 'This is it! This is my Club! This is a part of heritage, my past!'
I had heard of U Sector from the old USISL/A League/USL but thought I would be 'intruding' some how on them. The Red Patch Boys started up and I saw an opprotunity to become a supporter and I loved the historical aspect of the name as well.
And that's how I became a supporter of TFC.

CretanBull
09-13-2008, 03:13 AM
Who cares why they're here, let's just applaud them for their good taste :D

Redcoe15
09-13-2008, 07:20 AM
Who cares why they're here, let's just applaud them for their good taste :D
Hear, hear!

giambac
09-13-2008, 07:38 AM
Let me start by saying I apologize if this thread has been created before.

I'm just curious, since I know we have American TFC supporters here - why do you support Toronto FC? What is it that drew you to Toronto's club, of all places?

- Scott

I live in TO and I'm a Buffalo Bills fan. What's the difference?

Stupid thread.

The Kingpin
09-13-2008, 07:54 AM
I live in TO and I'm a Buffalo Bills fan. What's the difference?

Stupid thread.

Wow. That makes you unique... :rolleyes:

It's a great question, as many don't choose teams based on proximity. They choose based on many quirky scenarios, like how does a guy from Toronto end up a Newcastle supporter? (we all know why individuals become Man United/Liverpool supporters)

I'd also like to hear how UK or alt nationalities became supporters as well. I know I tell anyone who will listen about TFC.

giambac
09-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Wow. That makes you unique... :rolleyes:

It's a great question, as many don't choose teams based on proximity. They choose based on many quirky scenarios, like how does a guy from Toronto end up a Newcastle supporter? (we all know why individuals become Man United/Liverpool supporters)

I'd also like to hear how UK or alt nationalities became supporters as well. I know I tell anyone who will listen about TFC.

Like I said, it's a stupid thread.

Chewy Unikronik
09-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Then go read one of the hundreds of others instead. Wow, I see things still haven't changed around here.

Brooker
09-13-2008, 08:40 AM
christ almighty Gambiac lighten up..... it's game day and you're STILL a miserable asshole. must suck to be you.

Nerepis
09-13-2008, 08:46 AM

Noun, verb, "something negative"

The Kingpin
09-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Why has he not been banned. This is truly recidivous. Why will no one just take the responsibility. Wake up mods, just delete the account and be done with it.

dupont
09-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Im from Toronto but my girlfriend moved here from New York so I figured I'd mention that she is a TFC fan. I was worried when we went to the Red Bulls game about which side she would cheer for but she cheered for TFC :)

I think part of the reason is that she didn't watch soccer while living in NYC so TFC is the first team for her. She also says about the Red Bulls (in her own words) "I hate how they are named after a stupid energy drink"

The Oz
09-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Im from Toronto but my girlfriend moved here from New York so I figured I'd mention that she is a TFC fan. I was worried when we went to the Red Bulls game about which side she would cheer for but she cheered for TFC :)

I think part of the reason is that she didn't watch soccer while living in NYC so TFC is the first team for her. She also says about the Red Bulls (in her own words) "I hate how they are named after a stupid energy drink"

smart girl :D

forza_tfc
09-14-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm from Hamilton but recently moved to Massachusetts for work. My goal is to convert my baseball and NFL loving colleagues into TFC fans--some already seem willing to watch the sport, and we plan on going to a TFC-Revs game when the Reds are in town next (next season I think).

I might even consider getting Revs season tickets to support the league. I'll be wearing my TFC scarf to every game though.

Keystone FC
09-15-2008, 04:26 AM
I'm from Hamilton but recently moved to Massachusetts for work. My goal is to convert my baseball and NFL loving colleagues into TFC fans--some already seem willing to watch the sport, and we plan on going to a TFC-Revs game when the Reds are in town next (next season I think).

I might even consider getting Revs season tickets to support the league. I'll be wearing my TFC scarf to every game though.

I thought I had it tuff living in Ohio. In Mass there are winning teams to occupy people (Bo Sox, Pats, Celtics, Revs). Not to mention the Revs fans you have to compete with. :(

sweetlemon69
09-15-2008, 06:25 AM
I think this is a great thread. I've always been curious myself! Glad we have supporters abroad!

Angelo1405
09-15-2008, 08:10 AM
Im not american (yay !) but since im in NY, ill say that i wasnt interested in the MLS until the NY x Galaxy game in Giants Stadium (which was a classic game...). I was following the Brasilian League (still am), then i got interested in the MLS, i wanted to know more, so i so BMO being built on FSC, then i decided i needed to choose a team if i would follow this league, after seeing theyre first game, i was semi-fan of TFC, then when the Columbus game in Ohio was about to begin, i turned my attention to TFC.

although what made me pick tfc was the:
fans
stadium
new team