PDA

View Full Version : new player by tomorrow?

reggie
09-11-2008, 01:32 PM
according to carver,(tfc site)new player via trade and there are 2 players trial?

Pachuco
09-11-2008, 01:37 PM
according to carver,(tfc site)new player via trade and there are 2 players trial?

For the first time this year, I am actually annoyed with all this player movement. We need some consistency on this team. We aren't going to make any trades at this point that are going to save the day.

On the other hand, if we are trading for the future then that may not be so bad.

Pachuco
09-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Here is the link by the way. Brian Kerr and Pablo Gallardo on trial.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080911&content_id=187228&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Nuvinho
09-11-2008, 01:40 PM
and Amado may not be here til Saturday morning

werewolf
09-11-2008, 01:41 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Kerr_(footballer) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Kerr_%28footballer%29)

Released by Hibs.

Cambridge_Red
09-11-2008, 01:44 PM
LOL Hibs commence the "mo signs only british" in 5 4 3 2 1.......

NateDoGG
09-11-2008, 01:45 PM
this season is a loss......

werewolf
well I don't think Pablo Gallardo is british...just throwing it out there :lol:

The only person of that name I can find is on Sevilla Athletico (Spain Second division)

SLBuu

MO only signs BRITISH PLAYERS!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRRRGH!

deltox
another newcastle connection.

its like they are coming out of the woodwork!

Nodoubtguy
09-11-2008, 01:46 PM
are we talking Pablo Gallardo from Sevilla Atletico (Sevilla reserves)??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sevilla_Atl%C3%A9tico

flatpicker
09-11-2008, 01:46 PM

at least he's not playing for Scotland!

Nodoubtguy
09-11-2008, 01:48 PM
http://www.sevillafc.es/_www/equipos.php?op=jug&id=392

JDG
09-11-2008, 01:49 PM
When I talked to my friend in the FO today, he said he saw several guys that he didn't recognize going out for practice.

CoachGT
09-11-2008, 01:51 PM
I was at the field and saw several who I didn't recognize, and one (Titus) that I did, plus the usual suspects.

JDG
09-11-2008, 01:52 PM
For the first time this year, I am actually annoyed with all this player movement. We need some consistency on this team. We aren't going to make any trades at this point that are going to save the day.

On the other hand, if we are trading for the future then that may not be so bad.

this season is a loss......

We're not trading for anyone, we're filling empty roster spots.
Far too thin at the back. We need to add a couple of bodies. This can only help us finish the season strong.

Nuvinho
09-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Far too thin at the back. We need to add a couple of bodies. This can only help us finish the season strong.

I agree......we can add up to 2 players to our roster, we now only have 16 senior roster players.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-11-2008, 01:56 PM
one these guys is Antonio Vera Moreno and the other Pablo Gallardo ... if its the one from Sevilla Athletico
just not sure wich one!

http://www.sevillafc.es/www0506/archivos/files/Campeones/enzojavi.jpg

Pachuco
09-11-2008, 01:58 PM

Right...but the article states that the person coming in is via a trade. Could be for a player, could be for allocation, could be for a pick. The point is, we've had way too much movement going on and I hope this isn't an attempt to save the season by morgaging the future.

Nodoubtguy
09-11-2008, 02:00 PM
http://www.sevillafc.es/fotos/plantilla/gallardoweb.jpg

giambac
09-11-2008, 02:14 PM

I totally agree with you on this.

I mean all of us have been concerned with all the regulars who were away on international duties. Everyone said that's why we lost last week. Well everyone is back and ready for this weekend. Let these guiys play. Why bring anyone this late in the season?? It doesn't make sense. Realistically we aren't making the playoffs. We lost our opprtunity to bring in players when we needed them. So just let these guys ride out the season.

giambac
09-11-2008, 02:16 PM

And yet another

When will it end??

The team is shit with his signings and he continues to bring more British players. When will he learn????????????

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-11-2008, 02:16 PM
I totally agree with you on this.

I mean all of us have been concerned with all the regulars who were away on international duties. Everyone said that's why we lost last week. Well everyone is back and ready for this weekend. Let these guiys play. Why bring anyone this late in the season?? It doesn't make sense. Realistically we aren't making the playoffs. We lost our opprtunity to bring in players when we needed them. So just let these guys ride out the season.

if the season..is over as you say...why not try out new players...and start building a team for next year NOW...rather then wait till next spring...and bring in players just before the season..or during the season...

I have no problem checking guys out now...if the season is done

any player with a name like Gallardo..has to be better then a guy named kerr?? right?

giambac
09-11-2008, 02:17 PM
another newcastle connection.

its like they are coming out of the woodwork!

That's why we are shit!!!!!

werewolf
09-11-2008, 02:17 PM
^ Gallardo is not British

giambac
09-11-2008, 02:18 PM
When I talked to my friend in the FO today, he said he saw several guys that he didn't recognize going out for practice.

I think MO is bringing in some troops from the Peewee league:D

BuSaPuNk
09-11-2008, 02:19 PM
if the season..is over as you say...why not try out new players...and start building a team for next year NOW...rather then wait till next spring...and bring in players just before the season..or during the season...

Totally agree and if we arn't done for the year and start to get higher in the standings with these new players that is great. As long as we are not losing the future becuase of it.

Red Rat
09-11-2008, 02:21 PM
I also heard that they are installing grass at BMO right now and that Dale Mitchell is the new coach.

giambac
09-11-2008, 02:22 PM

any player with a name like Gallardo..has to be better then a guy named kerr?? right?

I agree 100% with your last point. Anyone with a nme like Gallardo ha sto be better than a person named Kerr,

Anyone playing in the Spanish league has to be better than a player cut from the Scottis league. How can a plyer be cut from the Scootish league?? I thoought their league was open to all players regardless of calibre??

TFC Cityboy
09-11-2008, 02:24 PM
after his red card on saturday and the disappointment expressed by Carver, it wouldn't shock me if Marco Velez was shown the exit door...
just a hunch...

TFCREDNWHITE
09-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Does anyone have any more info on this Gallardo kid!??! i like the fact that he is younger then 30yrs old.... and whatever happened to Tello???! what was the word on that??

Beach_Red
09-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Why bring anyone this late in the season??

If someone can help the team and they're available - grab them.

People keep telling me soccer is unique because there's a very deep player pool, but I'm starting to doubt that. I don't think there are very many players in the world not under contract somewhere so when the tiny window of opportunity opens, try them out.

I'm starting to think being a soccer player agent is the best gig in the world....

SLBuu
09-11-2008, 02:34 PM
after his red card on saturday and the disappointment expressed by Carver, it wouldn't shock me if Marco Velez was shown the exit door...
just a hunch...

i've had the same feeling since the game......

invictusTFC
09-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Does anyone have any idea what kind of Midfielder Brian Kerr is? Apparently Gallardo is a defender which we need desperately right now. How many international spots does the team have open? That will definitely dictate how many of these guys if any we will sign.

invictusTFC
09-11-2008, 02:41 PM
At least they come back straight away from Internationals. Last thing we need is any more Spanish-speaking players. The word "work" and "ethic" both seems to be missing from the language.

Hey now... do we have to start with the ethnic bashing once again. I'm sure the British internationals are able to report back much quicker because of a higher volume of flights back and forth from Toronto. I don't think the same is true for many of these Central American countries.

Pachuco
09-11-2008, 02:41 PM
At least they come back straight away from Internationals. Last thing we need is any more Spanish-speaking players. The word "work" and "ethic" both seems to be missing from the language.

that's a pretty stupid comment.

Why continue this borderline racism?

giambac
09-11-2008, 02:46 PM
If someone can help the team and they're available - grab them.

People keep telling me soccer is unique because there's a very deep player pool, but I'm starting to doubt that. I don't think there are very many players in the world not under contract somewhere so when the tiny window of opportunity opens, try them out.

I'm starting to think being a soccer player agent is the best gig in the world....

We brought in so many players and they have been busts.
So why bring in anothe rbust this late in the season? He he wasa half decent payer he would be under contract.

I say finish off the season as is and then cut your ties with MO. I don't have confidence in the palyers he brings in. With our luck he'll bring in another stiff and tie himup to a multi year contract which will impact us next year also.

this season has been a waste. Play it out, cut your ties at season end and start to rebuild in the offseason.

Hitcho
09-11-2008, 02:48 PM
At least they come back straight away from Internationals. Last thing we need is any more Spanish-speaking players. The wordS "work" and "ethic" both seems to be missing from theIR language.

Who are you to talk about language skills?! :D:D:D

giambac
09-11-2008, 02:49 PM
just a hunch...

I would be gald to hold the door open for him:)

Beach_Red
09-11-2008, 02:52 PM
He he wasa half decent payer he would be under contract.

Play it out, cut your ties at season end and start to rebuild in the offseason.

I would agree with you about just playing out the season if the schedule lined up with the rest of the world, but the way things are now teams in this league have to be constantly looking for players and grabbing whatever they can.

And if every good player is always under contract, why start up an expansion team? I agree good ones will be few and far between, but that's just more reason to keep looking and keep trying.

I never want this team to say, "We're waiting till next year." There is no next year, there is only now.

Damien
09-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Since we're likely to miss the playoffs, this is a perfect time to trial players.

Just tell them "look, we have 7 games left, if we sign you and you make an impact in this short time then we'll give you an opportunity to make the squad next year"

Maple Leaf Red
09-11-2008, 02:53 PM
that's a pretty stupid comment.

Why continue this borderline racism?
How is that just borderline?

Hitcho
09-11-2008, 02:55 PM
So why bring in anothe rbust this late in the season? He he wasa half decent payer he would be under contract.

I say finish off the season as is and then cut your ties with MO. I don't have confidence in the palyers he brings in. With our luck he'll bring in another stiff and tie himup to a multi year contract which will impact us next year also.

this season has been a waste. Play it out, cut your ties at season end and start to rebuild in the offseason.

Have you ever said anything positive about TFC since its inception?! Why do you even bother following them if you're so negative about them all the time?!

Mo brought in Sutton, Brennan, Marhsall, Tebily, Wynne, R'OB (before they fell out), Robbo, Edu, Dichio, Guevara, Robert and Ricketts. All of those players have been great signings or seemed to be on their face when we brought them in. He's also brought in a bunch of reasonable squad players, together with a bunch of dross. But the way the MLS system works every team brings in dross to comply with the salary cap, fill roster spots and use as make-weights in trades. Who were you expecting? Henry and Eto'o??!

Ossington Mental Youth
09-11-2008, 02:56 PM
even if the season isnt out theres nothing wrong with giving players a trial run.
My god, how is adding talent to the bench or field a bad thing?
This forum can be mindboggling sometimes

Boris
09-11-2008, 03:01 PM

nice....really nice...

giambac
09-11-2008, 03:01 PM
I would agree with you about just playing out the season if the schedule lined up with the rest of the world, but the way things are now teams in this league have to be constantly looking for players and grabbing whatever they can.

And if every good player is always under contract, why start up an expansion team? I agree good ones will be few and far between, but that's just more reason to keep looking and keep trying.

I never want this team to say, "We're waiting till next year." There is no next year, there is only now.

i just don't have any confidence in Mo anymore. I don't trust his player evaluation and I feel guys he brings over will just be awaste of time. he has never expanded his search horizon, so why bring in more of the same???

invictusTFC
09-11-2008, 03:02 PM

There's no guarantee that the club will sign any of these guys. To be fair to Mo, he hasn't signed every Brit he has trialed and there has been quite a few. Dichio, Robbo, Ricketts and Welsh are the only one's that I know of. So far Welsh was the only disaster.
As far as rebuilding is concerned, I think Mo has done well with bringing in some youth like Johann, Ibbe and Barrett. TFC still has 3 first round picks in the superdraft.
Out of all this season's signings I would say Ricketts has been the most consistent performer. Guevara floats in and out of games which worries me. I haven't seen enough of Ruiz to make any sort of judgment. Velez has been an utter disaster. Barrett has proven to me at least that he was a good signing.

Jack
09-11-2008, 03:07 PM

7-day ban for these comments

giambac
09-11-2008, 03:09 PM
There's no guarantee that the club will sign any of these guys. To be fair to Mo, he hasn't signed every Brit he has trialed and there has been quite a few. Dichio, Robbo, Ricketts and Welsh are the only one's that I know of. So far Welsh was the only disaster.
As far as rebuilding is concerned, I think Mo has done well with bringing in some youth like Johann, Ibbe and Barrett. TFC still has 3 first round picks in the superdraft.
Out of all this season's signings I would say Ricketts has been the most consistent performer. Guevara floats in and out of games which worries me. I haven't seen enough of Ruiz to make any sort of judgment. Velez has been an utter disaster. Barrett has proven to me at least that he was a good signing.

Some good points here.

Hitcho
09-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Some good points here.

Steady - that was almost a positive comment, although not quite... :D:D:D:D

Ossington Mental Youth
09-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Does anyone have any more info on this Gallardo kid!??! i like the fact that he is younger then 30yrs old.... and whatever happened to Tello???! what was the word on that??

Tello failed, was too small and apparently underestimated the talent of the league

Hitcho
09-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Whether this new player coming in is a good move will depend on the circumstances once we know more. In principle I think it's a good thing - if you can strengthen the side then do so, whoever it is can always be traded away again if it doesn't work out. But two things worry me: 1) there's been an awful lot of player movement recently and what the team really needs, especially after international breaks etc, is some stability - we want a base to build from next season; and 2) at this stage of the season, with the post-season run-in in full swing, no-one in MLS is going to be trading away good players.

So if we're bringing in someone decent for what seems to be a good deal for the club, then that's obviously good news, despite it being late in the season. If we're bringing in someone cack and just causing more unnecessary disruption or, worse, trading away good draft picks for someone cack, then that's a stupid move.

Still, kind of intrigued as to who it will be...

Shaughno
09-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Some good points here.

But he just proved nearly every one of your comments in this thread wrong?! :noidea: :p

Wolfe
09-11-2008, 04:00 PM
I've been trying to get in touch with Almo for the last few days, could he be suiting up on Saturday?

rocker
09-11-2008, 04:10 PM
some teams last year made changes in the second half that greatly helped them this year. so it's always a good idea. after this season is over the next major signing window is in the winter, and you're signing guys without trialing them, so it's more dangerous then.

Section 117
09-11-2008, 04:15 PM

We don't need stuf like this on the board. Was Robert spanish???
A lot players loaf around on the field

AL-MO
09-11-2008, 04:17 PM
I've been trying to get in touch with Almo for the last few days, could he be suiting up on Saturday?

Did you see me in the Niagara tournament????

:smilielol5:

AL-MO
09-11-2008, 04:18 PM

He was dealt with. No need to highlight the comment further.

Damien
09-11-2008, 04:25 PM

Don't forget Braz & Reda.

Toronto_Bhoy
09-11-2008, 04:40 PM
"New player(s) coming soon!"…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz…

Wolfe
09-11-2008, 05:19 PM
No I didn't, but I wish I had by that remark

leviticus
09-11-2008, 05:29 PM
ohh God I hope it is Will Johnson! Why we didn't go for him when he entered is beyond me and now he has already proven that he is class. Now let's get Jaime Peters too!

rocker
09-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Why we didn't go for him when he entered is beyond me and

the assumption was that TFC didn't want to deal with Shitcago after the Barrett trade debacle. Shitcago held Johnson's MLS rights. not sure if that scenario is true tho.

although it would be an interesting backdoor move for Mojo to then trade something to RSL for Johnson (something less than Shitcago would have got).

jloome
09-11-2008, 06:39 PM
If Gallardo's a defender, that would be good news. The one listed on the Sevilla B team is (and he got some 'a' team time as well.)

Brian Kerr was a really promising midfielder about five years ago but blew his knee out. He made a really solid comeback at Motherwell and was scouted by both Celtic and Rangers but opted for Hibs because he was guaranteed first time when he got there. Then a new coach comes in etc etc, same old story.

I remember him as being quite like Robbo but with a better shot and better distribution, maybe not quite as effective in the tackle.

ccopela
09-11-2008, 07:05 PM
I was reading some articles on Brian Kerr's release and I was noticing that at least 2 of them also mention Keegan Ayre (U-23 Canada international) being released by Hibs as well. I wonder if he'll turn up (or has turned up) at TFC training??

Obviously pure speculation but I think speculation that's warranted.

nfitz
09-11-2008, 09:19 PM
that's a pretty stupid comment. Yeah, sorry about that. I was just trying to make a joke about Guevera and Ruíz's tendancy to fail to come back to work after internationals, and the ethics of Guevara's frequent flopping around the field when not playing for Toronto, which last Saturday likely cost Canada a goal, and advancement any further towards the 2010 World Cup.

However I seem to have instead inadvertently ended up questioning the work ethic of these players - which was never my intent. Nor realistic really - Guevera has worked very hard for TFC. Sometimes me making me wonder why the rest weren't trying.

Why continue this borderline racism?Not racism - at worst ethnic prejudice, given that that we are the same race. But in reality just a bad joke gone horribly wrong. Sorry if I offended anyone.

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-11-2008, 09:26 PM
I’m always interested when the team brings in new players, BUT certainly last week would have made more sense than this week to add to the squad.

TFC USA
09-11-2008, 09:30 PM
The world according to MO:

http://www.broadvoice.com/images/accent_images/united_kingdom.gif

Gallardo was probably a recommendation by one of us. :D

LucaGol
09-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Why do we trial so many players?

deschamp86
09-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Why do we trial so many players?

So we don't get stuck with another Andy Welsh

Bluenose13
09-11-2008, 09:46 PM
The world according to MO:

http://www.broadvoice.com/images/accent_images/united_kingdom.gif

Gallardo was probably a recommendation by one of us. :D
Just curious, where do you fit these players on this map.....

Guevara
Ruiz
Velez
Marshall
James
Wynne
Barrett
Brennan
Attakora-Gyan
Dunivant
Edwards
Gala
Gaudet
Harmse
Ibrahim
Melo
Rosenlund
Smith
Smith

I know where all 3 of these guys fit.....

Dickio
Ricketts
Robinson

3 out of 22 from the british isles & Brennan who played there :noidea:

Red Rat
09-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Not racism - at worst ethnic prejudice, given that that we are the same race. But in reality just a bad joke gone horribly wrong. Sorry if I offended anyone.

A man is true to his humour....

Beach_Red
09-11-2008, 09:54 PM
I’m always interested when the team brings in new players, BUT certainly last week would have made more sense than this week to add to the squad.

It's not always (or even very often) up to the team. One of these guys just got released, so last week he wasn't available.

We usually think of this stuff as being the team acting, but it's usually just reacting. We can ask if they react quickly enough.

TFC USA
09-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Just curious, where do you fit theses players on this map.....

Guevara
Ruiz
Velez
Marshall
James
Wynne
Barrett
Brennan
Attakora-Gyan
Dunivant
Edwards
Gala
Gaudet
Harmse
Ibrahim
Melo
Rosenlund
Smith
Smith

I know where all 3 of these guys fit.....

Dickio
Ricketts
Robinson

3 out of 22 from the british isles & Brennan who played there :noidea:

You don't have to be British, you have to play in the British leagues. And also, there has to be a mandatory number of Canadians so eliminate the Canadians. Johann Smith played for Bolton

Now, remember Andy Welsh, Collin Samuel, Laurent Robert, remember them? They were 3 totally crap players who played in a UK league at some point in their career and flopped in the MLS.

We've also seen Paul McVeigh and this Brian Kerr guy go on trial. This isn't the NASL anymore, I'd love to see someone from South America, but think of the map.

deschamp86
09-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Carver and Mo scout places they know well. That happens to be the British Isles. Who the hell cares where the players are coming from?

As long as they know how to play I'm fine with that. Remember that players not only have to be good enough to play at the MLS level, but they also have to fit under the salary cap, a very low one at that, no young player is going to want to come here to play for a developmental contract unless they are Canadian when they can be making 5x as much somehwere else.

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-11-2008, 10:01 PM
It's not always (or even very often) up to the team. One of these guys just got released, so last week he wasn't available.

We usually think of this stuff as being the team acting, but it's usually just reacting. We can ask if they react quickly enough.

I know it’s impossible for us to know all the ins and outs who they bring on trial and when, but there’s tons of unattached players out there of similar quality to these two. I think they handled last week the way they did to draw attention to the international callup problem more than anything else.

Bluenose13
09-11-2008, 10:07 PM
You don't have to be British, you have to play in the British leagues. And also, there has to be a mandatory number of Canadians so eliminate the Canadians. Johann Smith played for Bolton

Now, remember Andy Welsh, Collin Samuel, Laurent Robert, remember them? They were 3 totally crap players who played in a UK league at some point in their career and flopped in the MLS.

We've also seen Paul McVeigh and this Brian Kerr guy go on trial. This isn't the NASL anymore, I'd love to see someone from South America, but think of the map.Ok so 5 of the 22 have played in the british isles, don't think you can take the Canadians away as he could have signed Canadians that played in britian......Notice you didn't mention Huckerby, probaby in the top 5 players in the league.

Mo has brought in trialists from all over the world, the british based players get more media hype as they are generally more well known & Carver has been more connected to those players than Mo was.

ricciboy
09-11-2008, 10:13 PM
i say go for people in brazil

Beach_Red
09-11-2008, 10:17 PM
I know it’s impossible for us to know all the ins and outs who they bring on trial and when, but there’s tons of unattached players out there of similar quality to these two. I think they handled last week the way they did to draw attention to the international callup problem more than anything else.

Maybe you're right and if so, I hope it worked.

I have to say, though, I hear this all the time about all these unattatched, "similar quality" players on this board and I'm starting to wonder if that's true. With so many soccer teams in the world, I'm not sure if the demand has finally started to outstrip the supply.

These discussions always make me think of that old Disney movie about the football coach who goes to Africa and brings back The World's Greatest Athlete (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070928/).

Pachuco
09-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. I was just trying to make a joke about Guevera and Ruíz's tendancy to fail to come back to work after internationals, and the ethics of Guevara's frequent flopping around the field when not playing for Toronto, which last Saturday likely cost Canada a goal, and advancement any further towards the 2010 World Cup.

However I seem to have instead inadvertently ended up questioning the work ethic of these players - which was never my intent. Nor realistic really - Guevera has worked very hard for TFC. Sometimes me making me wonder why the rest weren't trying.

Not racism - at worst ethnic prejudice, given that that we are the same race. But in reality just a bad joke gone horribly wrong. Sorry if I offended anyone.

That's why I called it borderline. someone could have taken that comment as latin people as a whole don't have "work" or "ethic" in their vocabulary. I figured that's not what you meant, I'm glad I was right :)

Wooster_TFC
09-12-2008, 06:06 AM
I agree......we can add up to 2 players to our roster, we now only have 16 senior roster players.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of Midfielder Brian Kerr is? Apparently Gallardo is a defender which we need desperately right now. How many international spots does the team have open? That will definitely dictate how many of these guys if any we will sign.

Guys, again here's a nice little link: http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3237

We only have 1 Senior Roster spot open currently, although we could put Dunivant on SEI, but if they haven't done it yet, it would suggest they aren't going to. I don't know how SEI works, but it might be that he wouldn't be eligible for a portion of next season if they did put him on SEI.

As for Internationals, while we have a lot of I spots open, you have to remember a couple of things.

1. In the expansion draft, we're only allowed to leave 1 International unprotected, so signing internationals right now is actually a hinderance to that process, since we have to use another protection spot on them.
2. A couple of our I spots come up at the end of the season, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to fill them, just to have problems with not having enough spots.

As for player signings, I think if the trade is as reported then it will be a solid move for the rest of the season without hampering us long term. Trials are never a bad thing, since you might find someone who fits in perfectly.