PDA

View Full Version : Rick Titus was at practice this morning!

Blizzard
09-11-2008, 10:58 AM
It may mean nothing .........................

GhostPK
09-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Thats good news

Nuvinho
09-11-2008, 11:07 AM
probably b/c most of the internationals aren't back yet.

MG42
09-11-2008, 11:08 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Titus_(soccer)

says he's on loan?

Big Bruva
09-11-2008, 11:13 AM

says he's on loan?

lol my boy Titus, i just played against Ricky about 6 weeks ago and now he is training with my cuz, the way the world works.

He is supposed to be playing in the Ontario Cup finals this Sunday, i gotta find out if he will be there lol

poppamidnight
09-11-2008, 11:15 AM
if he's with us, i'd be ecstatic....

the ONLY MLS-WORTHY callup of the three....

...In fact, he was solid back there COMMANDING our backline (has anyone told the other two what pushing up for offside means)

Im starting to get concerned over Velez's declining play over the past 6 weeks or so,

Having Titus in the CB position would ease any worries (as James often gets outta position when he moves to the middle)

Titus + Tyronne for backline?

Blizzard
09-11-2008, 11:15 AM

says he's on loan?

It's Wiki so "grain of salt". I guess York Shooters loaned him for Saturday. As somebody else mentioned, he could be a practice filler. Would he be willing to play for no pay again? I know he wants to maintain his current amateur status so he can continue with his own club, Real Toronto, as he wants to win the Ontario Cup (thanks BB for the correction). I think he would play for nothing. It's a great opportunity and he has proven himself again to be a capable player at this level. I wish we'd picked him up last year!

Big Bruva
09-11-2008, 11:31 AM
He wants to win the Ontario Cup, my team is playing for the OSL Cup lol

Titus is solid in the air, loves the long ball with the left, very physical, can have an attitude and sulk but if he plays again hopefully he will just play like he did last weekend.

Damien
09-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Maybe part of his loan deal is he's allowed to train with the team for the remainder of the year?

Blizzard
09-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Maybe part of his loan deal is he's allowed to train with the team for the remainder of the year?

The rumour going around is that he will stick with TFC as an amateur. With other international dates coming up, we need someone like Rick.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-11-2008, 11:56 AM
im not opposed to the idea, we certainly have the room and are lacking in the defence dept

Derko
09-11-2008, 12:02 PM

...In fact, he was solid back there COMMANDING our backline (has anyone told the other two what pushing up for offside means)

Im starting to get concerned over Velez's declining play over the past 6 weeks or so,

Having Titus in the CB position would ease any worries (as James often gets outta position when he moves to the middle)

And add Attakora, when he is healthy. Have to cheer on the local lad!!

Toronto_Bhoy
09-11-2008, 12:12 PM
He certainly didn't look out of place on Saturday…I thought he was one of our better players [which isn't saying much these days but you know what I mean].

Nice work Rick…well deserved.

v00d00daddy
09-11-2008, 12:16 PM
I think he looked decent against Chivas but it would be kinda scary if he made this team. I thought this was a professional league?

AL-MO
09-11-2008, 12:19 PM
I think he looked decent against Chivas but it would be kinda scary if he made this team. I thought this was a professional league?

YES...Seriously now, this guy played Oldtimers with my co-worker in the past. (and he is fucking 50)

Pachuco
09-11-2008, 12:25 PM
YES...Seriously now, this guy played Oldtimers with my co-worker in the past. (and he is fucking 50)

thought he was 39?

jabbronies
09-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Titus is solid in the air, loves the long ball with the left, very physical,

This, as well as his speed caught my eye last weekend.

giambac
09-11-2008, 12:38 PM

That makes me very nervous:eek:

AL-MO
09-11-2008, 12:41 PM
thought he was 39?

My co-worker is 50.

And at 39 he is a little long in the tooth no?

Oldtimer
09-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Takes up $0 under the cap. What's the downside?

Oldtimer
09-11-2008, 12:49 PM
... and now a story on this!

This week, in my Red Card column in 24 hours (see P. 30), (http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/24hrstoronto/20080910/2008090901/) I wrote about veteran defender Rick Titus, one of the three emergency players that Toronto FC had to sign last weekend after the club lost nine players to World Cup qualifiers.

But, Titus' Toronto FC career might not be over. Why? TFC will need emergency call-ups again.

http://blog.canoe.ca/thefull90/2008/09/10/it_will_happen_again_in_october?p=41507&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

AL-MO
09-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Takes up $0 under the cap. What's the downside?

Taking a spot from a younger player with promise?

Nuvinho
09-11-2008, 12:54 PM
I want to see James at CB on Saturday......gotta give him a chance to prove he can play that position. If he can't then you can bring in Titus.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Taking a spot from a younger player with promise?

If we had any of those he wouldnt have been signed last saturday in the first place

AL-MO
09-11-2008, 12:58 PM
If we had any of those he wouldnt have been signed last saturday in the first place

So lets just fold the reserve team entirely. Because apparently its a complete waste of time.

TFC07
09-11-2008, 01:21 PM
I want to see James at CB on Saturday......gotta give him a chance to prove he can play that position. If he can't then you can bring in Titus.

No thanks. We are fighting for a playoff spot right now and there's no need to keep on trying new things now.

Nuvinho
09-11-2008, 01:23 PM
No thanks. We are fighting for a playoff spot right now and there's no need to keep on trying new things now.

trying new things?? James is a natural CB. In the games he played at CB, everyone loved him, only when he moved to LB he started to lose confidence.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-11-2008, 01:26 PM
So lets just fold the reserve team entirely. Because its a complete waste of time.
:rolleyes:
yes, lets do that.
Or play a bunch of youngsters that arent ready to play yet.
You did watch last weekends game right? You do know the situation we were in? Cmon man, common sense. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

AL-MO
09-11-2008, 01:27 PM

So what are you suggesting? Put Titus in? Isn't he relatively NEW to the team? He's played one game last week.

And as the poster below you said, James is a natural CB.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-11-2008, 01:27 PM
im not saying play him over Attakora, but the fact is attakora is injured and therefore cant play, the other youngsters play mid, so dont put them in defense (obviously), we have velez (out), james, brennan, wynne and marshall. Its not going to hurt to sign him temporarily.

Oldtimer
09-11-2008, 01:29 PM
So lets just fold the reserve team entirely. Because apparently its a complete waste of time.

AL-MO, I see where you're coming from, but it's only to the end of the season, and next year MLS will likely fix or at least improve the international fixture insanity. Also, there's time to do the reserve team properly.

Besides, us former Lynx fans love to see a Lynxster coming back to play. :)

TFC07
09-11-2008, 01:29 PM
So what are you suggesting? Put Titus in? Isn't he relatively NEW to the team? He's played one game last week.

And as the poster below you said, James is a natural CB.

Titus is a backup. And I would rather put Marshall and Velez (Yeah, I said it) over James and Marshall/Velez. James isn't that good.

AL-MO
09-11-2008, 01:34 PM
:rolleyes:
yes, lets do that.
Or play a bunch of youngsters that arent ready to play yet.
You did watch last weekends game right? You do know the situation we were in? Cmon man, common sense. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Where are you supposed to call up players from? Your Reserve team! Thats what its for! Not signing a couple of players from lower leagues that can't play in the MLS anymore. My point is that if they felt they couldn't call on a couple players from the reserve team, then whats the point of having the team there?

These 'Youngsters' would be playing for one game! Not like we are going to start them for the rest of the season.

I see what you are saying, and it MAY(thats not determined) be better for the team, but fundamentally it is wrong. Football is so assbackwards on this continent.

AL-MO
09-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Titus is a backup. And I would rather put Marshall and Velez (Yeah, I said it) over James and Marshall/Velez. James isn't that good.

Isn't Velez suspended this week? Red card?

Stugatzo
09-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Carver's approach has always been that if you impress, you get to keep your spot.
Titus impressed, who gives a flying fuck how old he is or if he's an amateur.
Isn't the idea to field players that serve the team well.
Seems to me he's not under any illusions about making the first team on a regular basis. He's having fun and playing well.
Good for him!
...and more importantly, good for us!

Blizzard
09-11-2008, 02:13 PM

I've lost all faith in Julius I'm sad to say. I agree with JLoome. Let's see if he can thrive somewhere else other than the back four.

scots17
09-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Great work Rick...

...but AEK London will defeat Real Toronto on Sunday and hoist the Ontario Cup!!!

Chewy Unikronik
09-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Better than Titus 'Scramble' Bramble!

Isn't Velez suspended this week? Red card?
THANKS THE SWEET BABY JEEBUS!!!!!

Big Bruva
09-11-2008, 03:42 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing AEK win, we knocked them out the last 2 years and after we got knocked out AEK was the team i was hoping would take it.

Im gonna be at Danny's tournament then leave there and go and watch the O.C

Great work Rick...

...but AEK London will defeat Real Toronto on Sunday and hoist the Ontario Cup!!!

Red CB Toronto
09-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Rick Titus is a experienced player, having played years in the USL and was the 2002 MLS Defensive Player of the Year. This season he has been both a player coach with the Toronto Lynx and played in nine games,scoring one goal for the Italia Shooters of the CSL. I really don't see how TFC could go wrong in having him play another game for the Reds.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Where are you supposed to call up players from? Your Reserve team! Thats what its for! Not signing a couple of players from lower leagues that can't play in the MLS anymore. My point is that if they felt they couldn't call on a couple players from the reserve team, then whats the point of having the team there?

These 'Youngsters' would be playing for one game! Not like we are going to start them for the rest of the season.

I see what you are saying, and it MAY(thats not determined) be better for the team, but fundamentally it is wrong. Football is so assbackwards on this continent.

Fair enough, ya gotta give it time cuz as of right now its just not possible

AL-MO
09-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Fair enough, ya gotta give it time cuz as of right now its just not possible

Fair enough :)

Jamaicanadian
09-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Rick Titus is a experienced player, having played years in the USL and was the 2002 MLS Defensive Player of the Year. This season he has been both a player coach with the Toronto Lynx and played in nine games,scoring one goal for the Italia Shooters of the CSL. I really don't see how TFC could go wrong in having him play another game for the Reds.

Titus was supposed to play for us in the Ontario Cup 35+ final this passed weekend...but then TFC called him up...Coulda used him in the back...Damn TFC :D...And another thing, is there a player that has played with more teams, at every level of ball, in the GTA this year:confused::eek::)

Inswingingwingman
09-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Velez is gonzo for two games. His new first name is Moron.

invictusTFC
09-12-2008, 12:51 PM

Did you happen to stare down the bench at our reserves for this past game? Not one single defender!!! This is why the club had to call up Titus and Regan. I believe Gala was the only player that had some experience playing in the back, but he is more of a winger than anything else.

AL-MO
09-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Did you happen to stare down the bench at our reserves for this past game? Not one single defender!!! This is why the club had to call up Titus and Regan. I believe Gala was the only player that had some experience playing in the back, but he is more of a winger than anything else.

Then this club has a serious problem if it has no CB's on the reserve team.

Thats the point I am trying to make. Signing guys like Titus is all well and good, but you should be able to call up a player from your reserve team if needed, that is what that team is there for.

VPjr
09-12-2008, 01:19 PM

And as the poster below you said, James is a natural DISASTER.

AL-MO...I fixed your post

AL-MO
09-12-2008, 01:32 PM
:lol:

deschamp86
09-12-2008, 01:38 PM
I find it hilarious that every year the position people think we have the most depth at in the beginning of the year, becomes our "worst" depth at the end.

Last year it was strikers. This year it was centre backs. Like seriously, who did we have at the start of the year (or near the start of the year) that could play center back?

Jim Brennan - A better Left Back
Tyrone Marshall - Fit but people usually think he's shit
Marco Velez - Suspended but everyone thinks he's shit
Julius James - Everyone loved him now everyone thinks he's shit
Maurice Edu - Transferred to Rangers (Everyone thought he was shit)
Kevin Harmse - Can probably play centre back but everyone thinks he's shit
Tyler Hemming - He left us but people thought he was shit anyways
Tebily - Left before people could start calling him shit
Attakora - Injured but when he gets back after a few games people will probably think he's shit

Like seriously people. Get behind your team. Mo and Carver bring new people in and still get criticized. "Why are there so many guys coming on trial?", people ask. Well its cuz there's a damn salary cap and we can't afford to sign players and find out after that they're useless.

I'm sick of people always trashing our players with no real reason behind it other than they make a few screwups and they're not perfect. This isnt the premiership, these guys aren't the all stars you're used to watching. So get used to it.

I'm sick and tired of all the negativity on this board.

invictusTFC
09-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Then this club has a serious problem if it has no CB's on the reserve team.

Thats the point I am trying to make. Signing guys like Titus is all well and good, but you should be able to call up a player from your reserve team if needed, that is what that team is there for.

Having nine players unavailable from a 25-man roster (that also comprises your reserves) doesn't help. Hemming who can play as a defender left the club just days before the game. Attakora has been injured, so has Dunivant. There isn't much the team can do when the cupboard has been stripped bare.

On a somewhat related note, it looks like Tim Regan has been added to the roster:
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/roster.jsp?club=t280

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Not to be a dick but hemming was never a cb

deschamp86
09-12-2008, 02:08 PM

I thought I remembered him playing there once last year. Well in any case I forgot to add Pat Phelan who was originally with the team as well.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 02:10 PM
youre right about the whineing tho

TFC07
09-12-2008, 02:23 PM
I find it hilarious that every year the position people think we have the most depth at in the beginning of the year, becomes our "worst" depth at the end.

Last year it was strikers. This year it was centre backs. Like seriously, who did we have at the start of the year (or near the start of the year) that could play center back?

Jim Brennan - A better Left Back
Tyrone Marshall - Fit but people usually think he's shit
Marco Velez - Suspended but everyone thinks he's shit
Julius James - Everyone loved him now everyone thinks he's shit
Maurice Edu - Transferred to Rangers (Everyone thought he was shit)
Kevin Harmse - Can probably play centre back but everyone thinks he's shit
Tyler Hemming - He left us but people thought he was shit anyways
Tebily - Left before people could start calling him shit
Attakora - Injured but when he gets back after a few games people will probably think he's shit

Like seriously people. Get behind your team. Mo and Carver bring new people in and still get criticized. "Why are there so many guys coming on trial?", people ask. Well its cuz there's a damn salary cap and we can't afford to sign players and find out after that they're useless.

I'm sick of people always trashing our players with no real reason behind it other than they make a few screwups and they're not perfect. This isnt the premiership, these guys aren't the all stars you're used to watching. So get used to it.

I'm sick and tired of all the negativity on this board.

Everyone? Besides people on this site, no one else really cares about James.

Edu has been awful for us since beginning of the season generally. The only time he played CB for us, he cost us a game and arguably CDN championship. So TFC fans had every right to say he was shit.

Marshall and Velez are both awful. I don't see how people can argue against this. Compare them to other CBs in MLS, they're average at best.

Mo is taking too long of building this team. (Please ppl, don't even try compare building a soccer team to basketball or hockey...it isn't the same since we got a bigger pool of players to sign compare to other sports) Half of players in this team need to get traded or waived ASAP.

deschamp86
09-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Everyone? Besides people on this site, no one else really cares about James.

Edu has been awful for us since beginning of the season. So TFC fans had every right to say he was shit.

Marshall and Velez are both awful. I don't see how people can argue against this. Compare them to other CBs in MLS, they're average at best.

Mo is taking too long of building this team. (Please ppl, don't even try compare building a soccer team to basketball or hockey...it isn't the same since we got a bigger pool of players to sign compare to other sports) Half of players in this team need to get traded or waived ASAP.

The pool size means squat if you can't offer them a half decent salary in comparison to other leagues. The only qualm I have with Mo is not getting a DP. Regardless of whether he gels with the team or not, we're wasting the spot. If you're not going to use it at least trade it to get something out of it.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 02:27 PM
our pool is bigger but our pockets (due to the MLS hq) are shallower, our league isnt that high profile, nor is our city or our team. Sorry, almost 2 years in the running is not alot of time. Cant say i agree with you.

Technorgasm
09-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Rick Titus is bad-ass.

he feeds on the babies of his opposition, then pick his teeth with their bones.

invictusTFC
09-12-2008, 03:36 PM

Hemming did play last season at both CB and RB for a couple of games...

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Hemming did play last season at both CB and RB for a couple of games...

This is true but lets be honest here, its not his natural position, it was out of necessity if anything

invictusTFC
09-12-2008, 03:50 PM
This is true but lets be honest here, its not his natural position, it was out of necessity if anything

Oh, it was definitely out of necessity. However, the point that I was trying to make was that if he didn't bail out on the team, he would've likely played as a defender last weekend.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 04:01 PM
definitely a possibility

jloome
09-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Having nine players unavailable from a 25-man roster (that also comprises your reserves) doesn't help. Hemming who can play as a defender left the club just days before the game. Attakora has been injured, so has Dunivant. There isn't much the team can do when the cupboard has been stripped bare.

On a somewhat related note, it looks like Tim Regan has been added to the roster:
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/roster.jsp?club=t280

Dude, it's an 18-man senior roster. So we don't even technically have a "reserve team" to field.

invictusTFC
09-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Dude, it's an 18-man senior roster. So we don't even technically have a "reserve team" to field.

I know its a 18-man senior roster, but there are officially 25 players on the TFC website including "reserves"

jloome
09-13-2008, 11:04 AM
And therein is the source of many woes. In England, the first team roster is 24. And I'm not sure there's any limit on the number of reserves you can have.

ensco
09-13-2008, 12:40 PM
MLS minimum salary is so low that there is no possibility of player loyalty. They just feel used.

It's actually a wonder that there aren't more Hemming/Freeman/Lapira stories in this league.

S_D
09-13-2008, 01:02 PM
I think every team suffers from this and not just the reserve players. Dallas disputing cash with Cooper, the ongoing Conde dispute with Chicago.

It is a fact of life with the MLS as long as it is considered a feeder league.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-13-2008, 01:11 PM
I think Condes situation is more about him wanting to join Osorio at New York as opposed to making more money

S_D
09-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Not any more if what I read in that article the other day. From what I saw he wants out of the MLS entirely. Don't ask me to find the link for it but in the article, he was talking about how he wanted Chicago to hold up their end of the bargain when he was signed by the old Chicago boss Guppy (sp?)

He wants to be sold at the end of the season to Europe or South America and get better competition which always = mo' money :D

Chicago's back line is going to be a mess. Apparently thay have 2 retirements coming up and if Conde is sold that is 3 players to replace. Between Chicago and TFC there is going to be competition for affordable defenders.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-13-2008, 05:22 PM
You are totally correct (he wants out cuz of the Osorio fiasco)

poppamidnight
09-13-2008, 10:08 PM
So after to today, can we all agree that James is not ready to play the CB spot for us quite yet????

....and I'll assume we all agree that the Velez we've seen the past 6-8 weeks doesnt deserve to start (cuz he isnt the same person he was to start the year),

so, can we not do something to get this guy signed for the rest of this year???

Im operating under the assumption that Jarrod Smith is going to be the player we're loosing in the expansion draft, but as of now I wouldnt be opposed to moving him out to get that CB spot fixed