PDA

View Full Version : MLSE to fund arena repairs...ACC & Local

Carts
09-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Toronto Star
Thursday, Sept. 11, 2008
By: Mary Ormsby

MLSE to fund arena repairs

Leafs’ parent company teaming up with Home Depot to renovate crumbling indoor rinks

There's nothing rinky-dink about this latest Maple Leaf power play.

The City of Toronto's crumbling arenas are getting a $1.5 million facelift from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, in partnership with Home Depot, to keep aging facilities functioning for kids who skate and play hockey.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Hockey/article/497064

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

That's $1.5-million that could have gone into building a few year round footy fields and pave the way for natural grass at BMO... But that's a little sellfish of me I guess... :)

Carts...

Fort York Redcoat
09-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Good press for a team that doesn't want to focus on their upcoming season struggle.

Troll
09-11-2008, 04:38 PM
When they do nothing, they're evil. When they help out the community, they're deflecting attention.

Some of you guys are out to lunch.

MG42
09-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Good press for a team that doesn't want to focus on their upcoming season struggle.

BINGO!!!!!

SteeltownBhoy
09-11-2008, 05:22 PM
MLSE has spent 7.8 million on a new scoreboard at the Air Canada Center.
The MLSE exe said " WE HAVE TO GIVE OUR FANS A RETURN ON THEIR INVESTMENT"

Bastards f*ucking Bastards. Give us our grass, give us a DP, hell give us more bank machines, bathrooms and lower beer prices.:eek:

We are loyal TFC fans.......FREEDOM!!!!!!:canada:

Fort York Redcoat
09-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Second news story in as many days of them spending on anything but the team. Hey fans! Look over here! No, no. Not at the ice. Over here!

werewolf
09-11-2008, 05:24 PM
:rofl: what was wrong with the old one?

and if it took the combined amount of money of the Leafs and Raptors fans over the past few years just to get that...we will be lucky to get a bank machine within 3 years.

RealG-TFC
09-11-2008, 05:33 PM
MLSE has spent 7.8 million on a new scoreboard at the Air Canada Center.
The MLSE exe said " WE HAVE TO GIVE OUR FANS A RETURN ON THEIR INVESTMENT"

Bastards f*ucking Bastards. Give us our grass, give us a DP, hell give us more bank machines, bathrooms and lower beer prices.:eek:

We are loyal TFC fans.......FREEDOM!!!!!!:canada:

Tell me how long and profitable TFC have been compared to the Raptors AND the Maple Leafs. remember, this scoreboard is for both of them.

SteeltownBhoy
09-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Tell me how long and profitable TFC have been compared to the Raptors AND the Maple Leafs. remember, this scoreboard is for both of them.

Don't care, they probably took our EDU MONEY to give a gift to their loyal millionaires! :D

The money is there I will not rest till we have more urinals:rolleyes:

RealG-TFC
09-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Don't care, they probably took our EDU MONEY to give a gift to their loyal millionaires! :D

The money is there I will not rest till we have more urinals:rolleyes:

I can solve 3 of your problems with one solution. Don't drink beer at games.

SteeltownBhoy
09-11-2008, 05:54 PM
I can solve 3 of your problems with one solution. Don't drink beer at games.

What and not be one herded masses of sheep waiting in line for overpriced Carlsberg? How else can I have the courage to call on the opposition goalie into 115 after making comments about his Crack Whore Mom????

Good come back though::D

Beach_Red
09-11-2008, 05:55 PM
I think there's another story here that's being missed. Remember last year when MasterCard had to step in to save a bunch of outdoor rinks? The thing is, we're starting to see that publicly funded hockey is too expensive. Most arenas in this country were built for the baby boom years in the 60's and they're getting old and need to be renovated or replaced.

But the country has changed. Certainly Toronto has changed to the point where such a huge investment in one sport (well, maybe a few figure skaters, too) is too tough a sell to taxpayers.

No wnder MLSE is moving into soccer.

Troll
09-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Are you guys new to the city? When the Leafs lose their first three games do you think this 'good press' will make it sting any less?

Will Andy Frost be saying, "Hey, go easy on the team, they fixed up a bunch of old arenas."?

Not in this lifetime. They'll be out for blood like they always are.

Fort York Redcoat
09-11-2008, 06:01 PM
When they do nothing, they're evil. When they help out the community, they're deflecting attention.

Some of you guys are out to lunch.

I think there's another story here that's being missed. Remember last year when MasterCard had to step in to save a bunch of outdoor rinks? The thing is, we're starting to see that publicly funded hockey is too expensive. Most arenas in this country were built for the baby boom years in the 60's and they're getting old and need to be renovated or replaced.

But the country has changed. Certainly Toronto has changed to the point where such a huge investment in one sport (well, maybe a few figure skaters, too) is too tough a sell to taxpayers.

seems like I bought my lunch with Mastercard. Just don't remember these type of stories from them last year. It's a nice initiative. I just don't care about hockey as much.

JDG
09-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Maybe this sort of investment by MLSE into community use facilities will help when they try to convince the city that we need grass at BMO?????
Politics run deep, and you never know what's below the surface with things like this.

Getting pissed because MLSE does some good instead of doing something for you seems a bit shallow to me.

Beach_Red
09-11-2008, 06:53 PM
seems like I bought my lunch with Mastercard. Just don't remember these type of stories from them last year. It's a nice initiative. I just don't care about hockey as much.

And you're not alone, that's just it.

Shakes McQueen
09-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Maybe this sort of investment by MLSE into community use facilities will help when they try to convince the city that we need grass at BMO?????
Politics run deep, and you never know what's below the surface with things like this.

Getting pissed because MLSE does some good instead of doing something for you seems a bit shallow to me.

This is the first thing I thought.

At the end of the day, they are helping out the local hockey community, and should be applauded for it, not given flack because some armchair-strategists think they have ulterior motives.

Also, they can't spend the Edu transfer money on things other than the team, as stipulated by MLS rules.

The money required to get grass and a DP at BMO, is a hell of a lot more than a $7.9 million dollar scoreboard, and the two teams using that board are a million times more profitable (and popular) than Toronto FC right now.

MLSE is looking at grass, and Mo has promised a DP. Everybody just chill out. :D

- Scott

Wooster_TFC
09-12-2008, 06:40 AM
This is the first thing I thought.

At the end of the day, they are helping out the local hockey community, and should be applauded for it, not given flack because some armchair-strategists think they have ulterior motives.

Also, they can't spend the Edu transfer money on things other than the team, as stipulated by MLS rules.

The money required to get grass and a DP at BMO, is a hell of a lot more than a $7.9 million dollar scoreboard, and the two teams using that board are a million times more profitable (and popular) than Toronto FC right now.

MLSE is looking at grass, and Mo has promised a DP. Everybody just chill out. :D

- Scott

QFT!

Don Julio
09-12-2008, 11:51 AM
No duh. Corporations give back to the community to get good publicity and build their public image. That doesn't negate the fact that they ARE good things, nor does it mean we shouldn't reward them for it with our praise. Rewarding them back with our praise and respect will encourage them to give back. It's a good deal for everyone.

TFC07
09-12-2008, 11:56 AM

So true. Hockey is dying while soccer and basketball is taking over Toronto/GTA.

jayeden
09-12-2008, 12:05 PM
I work for MLSE and was at a presentation the other night which included lengthly business presentation speeches from richard peddie, brian colangelo, cliff fletcher, and several other MLSE VP's.

They are underingoing a 3 year project called "Leafs revitalization". This includes everything from restoring hockey in toronto at the grassroots level (which this article is entailing) to building a younger, more playoff bound team. Peddie himself touched on numerous points in his presentation, including that they are all well aware of the image the leafs have and they want to change it. The 'corporate seat', 'losing team', 'in it for the money mentality' are public veiws that they actually dont like and are ready and willing to change..

I am unsure why so many in here aer so quick to insult and feel that MLSE should invest so much money in TFC/BMO. First of all, they dont own BMO field, and were not ever allowed to, so why should they feel obligated to upgrade the bank machines or the bathroom?

They make 10+ times as much money on leafs and raptors so of course a new scoreboard can be justified.

Beach_Red
09-12-2008, 12:23 PM
They are underingoing a 3 year project called "Leafs revitalization". This includes everything from restoring hockey in toronto at the grassroots level (which this article is entailing) to building a younger, more playoff bound team. Peddie himself touched on numerous points in his presentation, including that they are all well aware of the image the leafs have and they want to change it. The 'corporate seat', 'losing team', 'in it for the money mentality' are public veiws that they actually dont like and are ready and willing to change..

It's a good idea, but there's only so much they can do at the grassroots level. My kids just aren't interested in hockey and I'm okay with that. I don't miss paying a thousand bucks for equipment or getting up at 5:00 to go stand in some cold arena (maybe things have changed lately, I can only go by what my nephews went through).

But my kids love basketball and soccer.

And there's only so much they can do at the professional level. How people in Toronto feel about the Leafs will have alot tod with how they feel about the NHL and pro hockey overall.

I think it would really help if there was a Canadian league and a Champions League with the top teams from Canada, the US and European club teams, but that seems unlikely. We'll probably see a Champions League of basketball sooner.

It'll be interesting to see what happens at the end of this three year plan if it doesn't get significant results. I imagine by then MLSE will have a team in the EPL and we'll see even more investment in soccer here.

rocker
09-12-2008, 12:58 PM

please, don't spread incorrect assumptions, even if it's just a smiley joke.
next thing we know, Giambac will be saying that the money went to the teachers shareholders or something.

the money they got for Edu is still in the MLS bank account and will only be used on projects to benefit the team on the field or the academy after MLS signs off and cuts the cheque.

Cashcleaner
09-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Say what you will about the company (MLSE), but putting up any amount of cash to renovate some of the public rinks in the city is most definitely a good thing.

rocker
09-12-2008, 01:04 PM
They make 10+ times as much money on leafs and raptors so of course a new scoreboard can be justified.

ya, and I laugh at people who suggest "they are rich, so they should just take a few million from the leafs and spend it on TFC".. that's the worst kind of business model. you don't cross subsidize in this way, when the payoff of such a thing is nothing in business terms. To take 10 million profit from the Leafs to build a roof and a second stand to the south end is less effective money-wise than just keeping the 10 million. The scoreboard, as someone said, helps both the Raps and the Leafs, so it's money taken from both teams to benefit both teams.

MLSE already has savings on the administrative side across their teams. But they would be stupid at this stage of MLS to be dumping money from other properties into it. the upside isn't that great yet.

Maple Leaf Red
09-12-2008, 01:20 PM
It's a good idea, but there's only so much they can do at the grassroots level. My kids just aren't interested in hockey and I'm okay with that. I don't miss paying a thousand bucks for equipment or getting up at 5:00 to go stand in some cold arena (maybe things have changed lately, I can only go by what my nephews went through).

But my kids love basketball and soccer.

And there's only so much they can do at the professional level. How people in Toronto feel about the Leafs will have alot tod with how they feel about the NHL and pro hockey overall.

I think it would really help if there was a Canadian league and a Champions League with the top teams from Canada, the US and European club teams, but that seems unlikely. We'll probably see a Champions League of basketball sooner.

It'll be interesting to see what happens at the end of this three year plan if it doesn't get significant results. I imagine by then MLSE will have a team in the EPL and we'll see even more investment in soccer here.
It's a shame that your kids aren't interested in hockey but I think that there is a tonne that the Leafs can do at the grassroots level. From refurbishing rinks to creating programs to get used equipment in the hands of kids that need it on top of the community outreach programs that they already have in place.

I would like to see them go a step further and start making the pre-season free instead of one game (that they don't actually lose any revenue on) as a good way to get kids interested in hockey. It doesn't have to be interest in playing necessarily but in following it.

TFC07
09-12-2008, 02:03 PM
I work for MLSE and was at a presentation the other night which included lengthly business presentation speeches from richard peddie, brian colangelo, cliff fletcher, and several other MLSE VP's.

I am unsure why so many in here aer so quick to insult and feel that MLSE should invest so much money in TFC/BMO. First of all, they dont own BMO field, and were not ever allowed to, so why should they feel obligated to upgrade the bank machines or the bathroom?

Interesting...Since BC was there as well, I assume MLSE presentation also covered basketball/raptors related topics as well, right?

jayeden
09-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Interesting...Since BC was there as well, I assume MLSE presentation also covered basketball/raptors related topics as well, right?

Yes and no...the raptors are doing as well as they can be doing in the NBA - there is not major change like there is needed with a franchise like the leafs. The majority of the talk that evening from BC was regarding the new signings, jose's condition..and the continuous intent to scout overseas and make the best team possible. The raptors will also have a new alternate jersey this year.

professor
09-13-2008, 11:47 AM
sorry if this was posted elsewhere and is old news, but I've been packing to move, and travelling back and forth to find a place to live, so I'm probably not up to speed but ...

from Yesterday’s news :
http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=784951

"Soccer and basketball concern me a hell of a lot less than hockey," said Anselmi, whose job also entails overseeing the MLSE-owned Raptors and Toronto FC. "The Leafs fan is aging . . . it's nothing that a little winning won't cure."

sorry Tom, but TFC need to win some games as well. Dummy up!

Beach_Red
09-13-2008, 11:53 AM
"The Leafs fan is aging . . . it's nothing that a little winning won't cure."

sorry Tom, but TFC need to win some games as well. Dummy up!

A little winning would sure help the Leafs, but hockey itself is in trouble. I think one thing that would actually help the Leafs is a team in Hamilton - instead of splitting the fan base it would bring even more people to hockey.

I don't think they'll see that, though, and hockey will continue its decline, which is too bad.

And, he's right, soccer and basketball will only increase in popularity. We'll get grass and a higher salary cap and all kinds of other things. This is just the beginning, really....