PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Thursday , Sept.11

denime
09-11-2008, 06:01 AM
Canada's World Cup hopes fade
After latest loss to Mexico, Canada has just one point in three games and needs miraculous recovery to contend

TUXTLA GUTIERREZ, MEXICO–Canada's hopes of appearing in the 2010 World Cup took a nosedive last night with a 2-1 loss to Mexico.
Omar Bravo and Rafael Marquez scored for Mexico, while Ali Gerba replied for the Canadians.
Canada has one point after three games in its qualifying group with Mexico, Honduras and Jamaica. The top two teams advance to the next stage of qualifying. Honduras beat Jamaica 2-0 last night, with Toronto FC's Amado Guevara scoring on a penalty for the Hondurans.

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/497229)

Canadian hopes bleak after another loss
Canadian Press

TUXTLA GUTIERREZ, Mexico — Canada's hopes of appearing in the 2010 World Cup took a nosedive Wednesday after a 2-1 loss to Mexico.
Omar Bravo and Rafael Marquez scored for Mexico in a soggy game played about 160 kilometres from the Guatemalan border. Ali Gerba replied for Canada.
Canada has just one point after three games in its qualifying group with Mexico, Honduras and Jamaica. The top two teams advance to the next stage of qualifying.
"This one was always going to be a tough one, probably the toughest game in CONCACAF, playing Mexico away from home," said Canadian coach Dale Mitchell. "We did everything we could to get a result tonight, but we didn't get it.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080910.wsptcanada_mexico10/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Canada succumbs to Mexico in World Cup qualifier

The Canadian men's soccer team hadn't won in half a century of World Cup qualfiers on Mexican soil, and Wednesday's result failed to change that.
Omar Blanco and Rafael Marquez scored in the second half as Mexico toppled Team Canada 2-1 in the semifinal round of CONCACAF qualifying at Tuxtla Gutierrez.
Blanco, who entered the match as a substitute for Giovani Dos Santos, broke a scoreless stalemate just shy of the hour mark as he headed a perfect cross from

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/09/10/concacaf-canada-mexico.html)

Chad Barrett's fitness boost
Striker hopes he is over problems

Toronto FC striker Chad Barrett is confident he can now play for 90 minutes each week without suffering from cramp. Barrett lasted the full game against Chivas USA on Saturday. It was only the second time since his move from Chicago that he hasn't been substituted suffering cramps. "I was pretty sore after the game, but I didn't cramp up at all which was great," said Barrett. "I played 90 minutes in the game at New York but was feeling cramps there, but now it is a lot better."

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080910&content_id=186994&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

CoachGT
09-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Thanks denime. Always the best way to start the day, even if the news isn't the best!

Shakes McQueen
09-11-2008, 06:51 AM
FIFA 09 DEMO IS OUT TODAY FOR ALL NEXT-GEN PLATFORMS

- Scott

Oldtimer
09-11-2008, 07:36 AM
from an article discussing Newcastle's problems, gives us insight about how Mo and Carver work together.... basically all signings now go through Carver first.

“As a Geordie, I’m so sad to see it work out this way. “But when you have a director of football working with you, you have to have a healthy relationship. They can’t interfere with your team-building process and they have to assist you by getting the right players in.
“For example, I have Mo Johnston here as my director of football, or as they are known in North America as a general manager. He will come to me and ask me ‘Who do you want?’ I will then give him a list of players and he will scout them and negotiate a deal to bring them to the club.
“If Mo started recommending players to me that I haven’t asked for, the system breaks down straight away.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/?q=node/199907

Steve
09-11-2008, 08:10 AM
from an article discussing Newcastle's problems, gives us insight about how Mo and Carver work together.... basically all signings now go through Carver first.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/?q=node/199907

So.. Carver is in charge now? Mo is like his scout/errand boy? I would have thought that Mo could at least scout a bunch of players and talk to carver about which he wants, but Carver seems to think that's inappropriate.

jabbronies
09-11-2008, 08:23 AM
makes sense. The coach has a system he likes to play, if he's missing a piece to make that system work, or he needs to tweek it with a different kind of player, only he would know who or what type of player that would be.

Fort York Redcoat
09-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Confusing. I don't mind if that's their system and it works but why let the coach do all the requesting for players when somebody else should be looking for players full time?

Oldtimer
09-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Confusing. I don't mind if that's their system and it works but why let the coach do all the requesting for players when somebody else should be looking for players full time?

Well TFC does have at least one scout. Probably he/they let Carver know who is available, then Carver tells Mo which players he would like. Mo then does the wheeling & dealing, something he's really good at. Contrast this with the GM telling the coach "I'd really like to see so-and-so on the team, can you fit him in?"

Fort York Redcoat
09-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Yeah it just seemed a strange stance for Carver to take in this league. In England they're getting backs up over the director of football taking power from the manager role but here the gm and coach work more in concert. Myself I'd want as many players as possible with the restrictions in this league and I hope Carver doesn't spend too much time looking for players v working with the team he has.

Chewy Unikronik
09-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Yeah it just seemed a strange stance for Carver to take in this league. In England they're getting backs up over the director of football taking power from the manager role but here the gm and coach work more in concert. Myself I'd want as many players as possible with the restrictions in this league and I hope Carver doesn't spend too much time looking for players v working with the team he has.
I think you're missing the point. More than anything, he's giving specifics on the types of players, instead of an individual or two... Unless they are already brought to his attention by the scouts.

That's the way it works in Italy, France, etc... England is just behind the times, and most managers there do not want to relinquish their powers. It's understandable though for many of them to take issue, when said power is virtually stolen from them.

Roogsy
09-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah. What's with all this soccer talk when there is another crisis brewing?

The Sunshine girl has been CRAP all week!!! WTF?