PDA

View Full Version : Convert Julius James to striker

jloome
09-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Julius James, I believe, does not have a future as a defender at this level. His ability to read the game seems severely limited, his positioning is very poor, and a couple of times he's literally been caught frozen in spot and giving up goals, with the Twellman header perhaps the worst of them all (although watching Mike McGee blow by him unchallenged was a close second.)

But, he is quite obviously a superb natural athlete. He has a tremendous vertical leap (over 30") and, having played centre back to this point is an excellent header of the ball. This has been reflected in the team targeting him on set pieces, and Carver moving him up at the end of one game (can't remember which) to play as an emergency striker.

It's not unprecedented. Jan Koller and Kevin Phillips both started as defenders and Mark Hughes (if I've got he right guy) actually played both. So has Kevin McKenna.

I say Carver takes advantage of what little youth dev time the guy has left (he's 24, so he's about four years away from a striker's peak) and grooms James to be the successor target man for Danny Dichio, filling a role every team could use for versatility's sake.

Nuvinho
09-10-2008, 09:25 PM
before making him play a entirely different position, maybe he should be playing in his natural position at CB. He is already been playing out of position playing LB.

I remember the 1st game he played at CB, everyone on the board was saying he was great. Then when he played at LB, everyone said he stinks.

Let's just wait and get him back at CB. He has the makings of a good CB in this league, unlike Velez.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-10-2008, 09:30 PM
cant say i see him as a striker, especially if his distribution is so poor (its not terrible but its certainly not striker quality)

Pachuco
09-11-2008, 12:06 AM
can't disagree more. The man can't shoot or pass if his life depended on it. Striker is the last position I want to see him play. If he can't cut it as a defender, then I say we send him to York U's basketball team since he's got hops.

jloome
09-11-2008, 12:14 AM
"Can't shoot"....when has he shot? How would you know? Again, this is hardly unprecedented, see the earlier examples. And he HAS played CB, for the last several games he's been in and out at CB, and has sucked. Maybe we should trade him, but so far the only argument I see here that relates to what we actually know about him is that his distribution isn't great. But a) that's not exactly the most important concern for a striker and b) we haven't seen him do much of that, either. In fact, the only thing we do know is that he can't position himself to save his life.

tlear
09-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Wasn't Jan Koller a keeper?

It might be worth trying, but currently we do not have enough defenders so maybe if we sign few people..

Nodoubtguy
09-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Wasn't Jan Koller a keeper?

It might be worth trying, but currently we do not have enough defenders so maybe if we sign few people..

think he just meant it as a comparison to say that people can switch positions and be successful

ACSertL
09-11-2008, 08:28 AM
before making him play a entirely different position, maybe he should be playing in his natural position at CB. He is already been playing out of position playing LB.

I remember the 1st game he played at CB, everyone on the board was saying he was great. Then when he played at LB, everyone said he stinks.

Let's just wait and get him back at CB. He has the makings of a good CB in this league, unlike Velez.

I think this is spot on. Get him back into the middle of defense and we'd probably see a different Julius James. He's dangerous on set pieces but that is really the only attacking option I see him filling.

Also Robert Huth has played striker as well...I think when he was playing for Chelsea.

invictusTFC
09-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Lets all remember that he is a rookie. Rookie's will make mistakes especially when they are playing out of their natural position. The JJ experiment at LB should have ended after the first game when he got caught badly out of position on several occasions. Carver needs to keep Brennan back there and start Johann Smith at LM. That being said JJ might get his time at CB against the Crew now that Velez will be serving his one game suspension.

I think this whole notion of converting him to a striker just based on his ability to leap is rather weak. What makes anybody think that this guy can be an effective forward? Has he ever played forward at a high competitive level before? Is the striker position that easy to play?

rocker
09-11-2008, 09:09 AM
speaking of conversions... how about as Dichio gets older he moves to play defence?
he's a beast to deal with.. great header... doesn't move too quick but would be very difficult to deal with. he would understand what strikers are attempting to do.
that could get him a few more years in MLS, and benefit TFC.

j_capitain
09-11-2008, 10:02 AM
No, No, No.

Pachuco
09-11-2008, 10:03 AM
"Can't shoot"....when has he shot? How would you know? Again, this is hardly unprecedented, see the earlier examples. And he HAS played CB, for the last several games he's been in and out at CB, and has sucked. Maybe we should trade him, but so far the only argument I see here that relates to what we actually know about him is that his distribution isn't great. But a) that's not exactly the most important concern for a striker and b) we haven't seen him do much of that, either. In fact, the only thing we do know is that he can't position himself to save his life.

I've seen him shoot, I remember clearly. (Think it was in practice). He looks ackward when he goes to shoot, like he's not coordinated or something. To be a striker, you have to have the right touch and a knack for putting the ball in the net. Julius doesn't have that.

Also, if you don't know he can't shoot then why would you recommend him as a striker?

Pachuco
09-11-2008, 10:04 AM
speaking of conversions... how about as Dichio gets older he moves to play defence?
he's a beast to deal with.. great header... doesn't move too quick but would be very difficult to deal with. he would understand what strikers are attempting to do.
that could get him a few more years in MLS, and benefit TFC.

I like that. BUT...you would need a sweeper with speed and good positioning to make up for Dichio's lack of

Fort York Redcoat
09-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I've give him a look except that we're not exactly crawling with talent at the back to replace him whatever his level and we are full of forwards of inconsistent level already. Give him a chance? I guess but who did you want to replace?

Shaughno
09-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Why wouldn't we pick one of the two defenders that started as strikers first?

Velez
Marshall

Blizzard
09-11-2008, 11:18 AM

I was going to comment on the "Can't shoot" comment as well. I agree with you. Let's try him in a different position and so what he can do. He has been a liability at the back. If we had Tebily, Julius would have his ass nailed to the bench.

Section 117
09-11-2008, 04:02 PM
But, he is quite obviously a superb natural athlete.

Doesn't equal superb athlete

Section 117
09-11-2008, 04:03 PM
sorry I meant superb soccer playwe

Shaughno
09-11-2008, 04:03 PM
I was going to comment on the "Can't shoot" comment as well. I agree with you. Let's try him in a different position and so what he can do. He has been a liability at the back. If we had Tebily, Julius would have his ass nailed to the bench.

I don't disagree. Try it in training rather than in games though. If we ARE going to use a defender up front we should be using one that already has experience up there.

AL-MO
09-11-2008, 04:13 PM
This all depends on his ability with the ball at his feet. Just because he is great off of set pieces(with his head) doesn't mean you move him up front.

Section 117
09-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Guys, I spoke to few players after the Montreal game and they were upset and confsed that James went and played upfront.

Think about that how the rest of the team respond? It is like waiving the white flag if he did it again especially now Danny is back and we have Ruiz, Barret and Ibby. We defenders he won't make a difference upfront

jloome
09-11-2008, 07:15 PM
I've seen him shoot, I remember clearly. (Think it was in practice). He looks ackward when he goes to shoot, like he's not coordinated or something. To be a striker, you have to have the right touch and a knack for putting the ball in the net. Julius doesn't have that.

Also, if you don't know he can't shoot then why would you recommend him as a striker?

Because it's hardly unprecedented to have a striker, like Koller or Kevin McKenna on the occasions he's played there, who is primarily a target forward. Danny Dichio wasn't known for finishing with his feet before he got here. Duncan Ferguson played for years as primarily a header of the ball, and despite his height, Mo Johnston scored a ton of goals in the air as well.

If a guy has a 30-inch vertical, he's going to win A LOT of crosses in the box. That's like having Randy Moss play striker, which I'd also go for. Great athletes are great athletes, but I don't see James having a future as a defender. It's a much more complex position to play than target forward.

jloome
09-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Why wouldn't we pick one of the two defenders that started as strikers first?

Velez
Marshall

James has played striker, being pushed up late in the away game at Chicago. I don't remember either Marshall or Velez starting as striker or even playing there, Shaugno. When would that have been?

jloome
09-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Guys, I spoke to few players after the Montreal game and they were upset and confsed that James went and played upfront.

Think about that how the rest of the team respond? It is like waiving the white flag if he did it again especially now Danny is back and we have Ruiz, Barret and Ibby. We defenders he won't make a difference upfront

It's a tactical move. Again, Julius James has a 30-inch leap. I'm talking about a TARGET player here, a replacement for Danny D when he goes, not a goal poacher like Ruiz or Barrett. Usually, if you're going to use a target forward it's because a) you need someone upfront strong enough to hold up play because you're stuck on the counter a lot or b) you're only getting balls into the box through the air.

In either of those circumstnaces, you would play a target forward next to a goal poacher, i.e. Dichio with Ruiz or Dichio with Barrett. I just don't think Danny D's got much time left, and replacing him with a player that, I believe, doesn't have a future as a defender seems to me the best way to make good out of something bad -- short of getting good trade value for him.

Wooster_TFC
09-12-2008, 06:18 AM
It's a tactical move. Again, Julius James has a 30-inch leap. I'm talking about a TARGET player here, a replacement for Danny D when he goes, not a goal poacher like Ruiz or Barrett. Usually, if you're going to use a target forward it's because a) you need someone upfront strong enough to hold up play because you're stuck on the counter a lot or b) you're only getting balls into the box through the air.

In either of those circumstnaces, you would play a target forward next to a goal poacher, i.e. Dichio with Ruiz or Dichio with Barrett. I just don't think Danny D's got much time left, and replacing him with a player that, I believe, doesn't have a future as a defender seems to me the best way to make good out of something bad -- short of getting good trade value for him.

While I agree with you that we need to find a place for JJ, I'm not sure that a target man is a good place for him. Of the examples you provided in your original post, it looks like Phillips and Hughes both broke into the first team as out and out strikers, so probably aren't comparable. Koller is 6'7" and McKenna is 6'2" and both are beast of men. They both have the attributes to be solid target men.

Julius is listed at 6'0", and even with his leap, I don't know that he would be a solid target man due to his (current) lack of strength, slight lack of height compared to most CBs (overcome with his vertical), and utter lack of ball skills. If you intend him as a heading only target man, I can see him coming on late in the second half, but that's about it.

Now, on the flip side, if you were to be moving JJ from CB (his natural position supposedly), then I don't think he fits in anywhere other than as a target man. Not enough ball control and too slow reactions wise for anywhere in the midfield (both in the middle or on the wing). No good distribution on top of those discount him from playing as a fullback. He's not an out and out striker either, as has been covered.

If we had depth at CB right now I'd say try him out. As it is, I'd much rather see him back there with Marshall than to have a CB combo of Titus/Regan, who, while they performed admirably, don't have what it takes for MLS long term. Might as well get the youth some playing time.

Cobblers
09-12-2008, 06:56 AM
Seriously, I think we have to trade this guy while people still think he has value. He is one-dimensional at best and that is his ability to get his head on the ball. However, I don't think this skill would be handy with him in the striker position since he can't read the game and therefore wouldn't be able to get himself in a position to get his head on the ball. He does have value in this capacity on set pieces because he'll pretty much already be where he needs to be, but in open play he doesn't have the soccer brain to be useful as a target striker. I would spend my time and money developing Gaudet and Ibbe as strikers before I would spend the time and money on James...

Shaughno
09-12-2008, 07:40 AM
James has played striker, being pushed up late in the away game at Chicago. I don't remember either Marshall or Velez starting as striker or even playing there, Shaugno. When would that have been?

Unlike James who only played for ONE game at forward. ;)

Marshall was drafted by the Colorado Rapids (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Rapids) out of Florida International University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_International_University) in Miami, Florida (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami,_Florida), with the 11th overall pick of the 1998 MLS College Draft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_MLS_College_Draft). He played only one game for Colorado, then was dealt to the Miami Fusion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Fusion) midway through the season. Marshall would spend the next three and a half seasons in Miami, starting as a forward and eventually drifting to the midfield and then the defense.

In 2003 Vélez was drafted by the MetroStars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetroStars) in the Major League Soccer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer) SuperDraft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_MLS_SuperDraft) but he decided to sign with the Seattle Sounders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Sounders_(USL)) of the USL First Division (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USL_First_Division) in April 2003. While a defender in college, Vélez moved to forward briefly during the 2003 season. However, he returned to the back line in 2004.

But I agree with your general principle ;)

Nuvinho
09-12-2008, 07:46 AM
JJ is a rookie, can he get more time at his NATURAL position before we decide to dump him.

I mean, if ALL the scouts thought he was the best defender in the Superdraft (only reason why he was drafted 9th b/c he was a GA), they must know something.

Give him opportunities at CB over Velez, and then evaluate him.

Shaughno
09-12-2008, 07:52 AM
JJ is a rookie, can he get more time at his NATURAL position before we decide to dump him.

I mean, if ALL the scouts thought he was the best defender in the Superdraft (only reason why he was drafted 9th b/c he was a GA), they must know something.

Give him opportunities at CB over Velez, and then evaluate him.

That's what I was getting at with my point. I've never been very confidant of the Velez/Marshall pairing at the back, as much as I've defended Velez.

Let JJ develop at CB, his natural position, and use someone else who isn't going to develop anymore and has previous experience up front, IF NEEDED. Right now, I don't see a point to bringing any of our defenders up front considering our lack of depth in the back line as it is.

My $0.02 anyway.

invictusTFC
09-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Once again, I think the majority of criticism thrown at JJ has been based on his recent performances at LB, which is not his natural position. The few games he's played at CB he's been fine, not spectacular but I don't think he compromised this team. I believe the last game he played at CB was the 1-0 away win over Colorado. He played solid along side Marshall. That was the game that Marshall got injured in the 33min and Robinson was forced to move back to CB.

trane
09-12-2008, 12:02 PM
^ I can see why people can see him as a striker. He certainly has some attributes of a type of stiker I prefer, but I would like to see him play some games at CB first. I have to agree though, I am not crazy about any of our CB at this point, Marshall is the best of the lot, and may be better with a better partner.

jloome
09-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Maybe I'm being premature, we'll see I guess.

Good pick up on the Marshall/Velez thing, Shaughno, although I think you'll find that a) college is hardly comparable and b) they were probably moved there for the same reasons I'm suggesting James. The difference is that he has physical skills that they don't.

Not sure I agree with the assessment that he's too small to be a target man. If he's too small for that, then he's certainly too small to be a centre half. The guy's made of muscles, so maybe only being six-foot -- again, coupled with his vertical -- would make it worthwhile.

trane
09-12-2008, 04:49 PM
^ I do not think he is too small to be a target man, he is six foot with a big frame. Yakubu for Everton and Toni are not much bigger, I think Toti is also just about that height. They are all quality strikers, playing up front alone. I agree that James has the physical attributes, and has shown that he can score. I for one am not completely against the idea, I would just like to see a few more games at CB before I give up. God knows we need a good one. [ I can not helo but think of Tebily when I write this]