PDA

View Full Version : Lombardo SCORES for York U

jrey
09-09-2008, 09:34 AM
So apparently he's playing for the York Lions' men's team now.

http://www.yorku.ca/sprtyork/MediaReleases/Archive/Release.asp?Release=2290

Good for him.

Damien
09-09-2008, 09:41 AM
I guess he can blame the hair falling in his face.

Shaughno
09-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Or he just couldn't cut it at the MLS level...

TFC USA
09-09-2008, 09:44 AM
No seriously, what happened?

Daveisonfire
09-09-2008, 09:45 AM
I guess that means he's decided to continue his education...good for him

Ossington Mental Youth
09-09-2008, 10:15 AM
One goal does not make a star striker, congrats none the less and i hope he continues

icecoldbeer
09-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Jamaal Smith is on the roster too.

rocker
09-09-2008, 10:23 AM
guess he's found the level of competition that is right for him.

a guy from the academy is on York too -- Pena (was he the guy who was kicked off the academy for his parents' behaviour?)

Nana is there too it seems.. ???

Daveisonfire
09-09-2008, 10:37 AM
One goal does not make a star striker, congrats none the less and i hope he continues

Oh, but he scored two:yum:

LucaGol
09-09-2008, 12:05 PM
guess he's found the level of competition that is right for him.

a guy from the academy is on York too -- Pena (was he the guy who was kicked off the academy for his parents' behaviour?)

Nana is there too it seems.. ???

What level is right for the players currently on our team?

rocker
09-09-2008, 01:27 PM
What level is right for the players currently on our team?

looks like most of our team plays at a higher level than MLS:

International ;)

Maybe if Lombardo gets his Suriname citizenship next week he can get in all that World Cup Qualifying the TFC guys are doing....

Loyal
09-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Are you sure this is not a York University Grads Club team?

The rule of thumb for any CIS sport is a player must sit out a calendar year from his last pro game.

AL-MO
09-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Are you sure this is not a York University Grads Club team?

The rule of thumb for any CIS sport is a player must sit out a calendar year from his last pro game.

Clearly its not Loyal.

Keegan
09-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Jarek Whiteman is on that team too!

He plays for TFC Academy, one of their best players and was also in the Canada team that faced Argentina. I think he is a 1990.

Damn that team is STACKED

sulfur
09-09-2008, 01:50 PM
If I recall correctly, and I might not have it accurate, but the development rosters are only considered semi-pro, on the same level as the CSL.

kshep
09-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Still say Lombardo's got it.. Never had the service or the time to cut his teeth... All he ever did was bust his ass for us.. and most of you fucks are to stupid to appreciate it.

kshep
09-09-2008, 05:19 PM

No, your wrong... Serge played for a BC Uni less then a year after playing pro for us.

Keegan
09-09-2008, 05:28 PM
York is straight up STACKED. Going through that roster. A lot of names

Richard D
09-09-2008, 05:55 PM
How much less is his pay from the $25,000 TFC was paying him?

king10
09-09-2008, 06:07 PM
How much less is his pay from the $25,000 TFC was paying him?

lol i dont think york is paying him to play.. maybe paying for schooling and living costs.. IF that... thats about it

iansmcl
09-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Still say Lombardo's got it.. Never had the service or the time to cut his teeth... All he ever did was bust his ass for us.. and most of you fucks are to stupid to appreciate it.

He also sucker punched a Red Bull in the stomach... I lost all my respect for him at that point.

The boy could pass fairly well though... too bad he couldn't just pass into the net.

rocker
09-09-2008, 06:17 PM

ya, 3 goals in over 60 games at all levels before this season is a sign of never having service or never getting the time...

Lombardo's strength was 1) his hustle and then 2) passing.

But we've had a lot of hustle players who couldn't score, so that doesn't really help.
if he had lit it up as a kid I'd think he just needs a chance.. but he's never scored at any level until, perhaps now... but that's a big drop of level.

flatpicker
09-09-2008, 06:43 PM
lol i dont think york is paying him to play.. maybe paying for schooling and living costs.. IF that... thats about it

isn't it illegal for Universities and Colleges to offer sports scholarships in Canada?

sulfur
09-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Yes. It is. Serje got special dispensation. I'd expect that Lombardo fell under the same category.

ricciboy
09-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Or he just couldn't cut it at the MLS level...

]
so true tho

Sullivan
09-09-2008, 10:19 PM
isn't it illegal for Universities and Colleges to offer sports scholarships in Canada?

Not any more, $3,500 max now. Every CIS school, any sport, all equal.
Better than nothing and a good start, long overdue. I think last season was either the first or second season that the money was made available.

Troll
09-09-2008, 10:38 PM

If the only good thing you can say bout a player is that 'he hustles' then give your fucking head a shake. He was a pile of crap.

rocktml
09-09-2008, 11:22 PM
he can score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rocktml
09-09-2008, 11:24 PM
how he played a game for Atalanta i will never know........

Keyman
09-09-2008, 11:59 PM
how he played a game for Atalanta i will never know........
He was brought up in Italy as a target man, not a striker; there's a major difference. He was taught how to hold up the ball well, flick the ball on and basically create for others. In Toronto, he was relied on as an all out finisher, his abilities were lost and Lombardo was gone. In the right situation, I think Lombardo could do alright.

professor
09-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Not any more, $3,500 max now. Every CIS school, any sport, all equal.
Better than nothing and a good start, long overdue. I think last season was either the first or second season that the money was made available.

here's more info, for those that care...
Scholarships referred to as Athletic Financial Awards or AFAs

OUA Board Votes in Favour of Offering Athletic Financial Awards To
First-Year Students-Athletes
- http://oua.ca/news/?id=4379

Summary of AFA's (2006-07)
http://www.universitysport.ca/e/research/documents/Sport_EXTERNAL_english.pdf

OUA FINANCIAL AWARDS POLICIES - Rule VI, Athletic Financial Awards
more info here: http://oua.ca/student/awards/

long over due

OUA Men's sched & results: http://oua.ca/sports/msoccer/schedule/
Standings & news releases = http://oua.ca/sports/msoccer/

btw, York Men's, currently ranked #1 in Canada

CIS Men's Soccer - As of September 9, 2008
1. York
2. Laval
3. Trinity Western
4. Carleton
5. UBC
6. Saint Mary’s
7. Toronto
8. Western Ontario
9. Montreal
10. Cape Breton

etro
09-10-2008, 09:11 AM
YEYE lions!!

iansmcl
09-10-2008, 09:18 AM
He was brought up in Italy as a target man, not a striker; there's a major difference. He was taught how to hold up the ball well, flick the ball on and basically create for others. In Toronto, he was relied on as an all out finisher, his abilities were lost and Lombardo was gone. In the right situation, I think Lombardo could do alright.

I wish people would remember (or indeed, learn) that. Though he would perhaps have been surplus requirements now (with Dichio/Barrett, though obviously Dichio will not be around much longer and we may never have gotten Barrett, etc. etc.) I think he would have done well given a chance to do what he was trained to.

trane
09-10-2008, 09:26 AM
I may be wrong, but I think that the pure "target man" concepete is more of an English thing, I do not remeber any Italian forwards at any level that were pure "target men", sure you have big striker who play the "punta", meaning the point of the attack, like Toni and Vieri, but they are expected to score, distributing the ball is an important but secondary for any Italian striker/forward. Does anyone know of an example of a pure target man in Italian soccer?

werewolf
09-10-2008, 09:38 AM
maybe thats why he was released after being on three teams in 3 years, including Serie D.

colman1860
09-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Also, York's head coach is Paul James, and their director of soccer is TFC's goalie coach (his name escapes me). They really enjoy being connected, dont they? I might go and watch some of their games (next one is this Saturday at 1pm vs McMaster and then Sunday at 1pm vs Brock) since I'm a first year at York. Booya! Cant wait to see Lombardo on campus lol.

colman1860
09-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Oh damn...I just remembered I will be busy on Saturday afternoon (as will most of us, laughing at the yellow football team). Sunday it is then.

ACSertL
09-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Also, York's head coach is Paul James, and their director of soccer is TFC's goalie coach (his name escapes me). They really enjoy being connected, dont they? I might go and watch some of their games (next one is this Saturday at 1pm vs McMaster and then Sunday at 1pm vs Brock) since I'm a first year at York. Booya! Cant wait to see Lombardo on campus lol.

Eddie Kehoe if I am not mistaken.

C.Ronaldo
09-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Scholarships?

Are you kidding me?

School should be for education, not sports.

If you want to play sports on the side fine, but you shouldn't get a free ride just because you can kick or run.

Keep it illegal to have scholarships otherwise we'll have big frat boys filling our calculus classes like the joke sport schools in the states.

Toronto_Bhoy
09-10-2008, 10:35 AM
I may be wrong, but I think that the pure "target man" concepete is more of an English thing, I do not remeber any Italian forwards at any level that were pure "target men", sure you have big striker who play the "punta", meaning the point of the attack, like Toni and Vieri, but they are expected to score, distributing the ball is an important but secondary for any Italian striker/forward. Does anyone know of an example of a pure target man in Italian soccer?

Agreed Trane!

Shit, haven't you and I had this conversation before…deja vu…all over again!

By the way…I have been a critic of Lombrado but I'd like to make two points…first, he was put in a situation he just couldn't fill…that was Mo's fault not his. Secondly, I give the kid kudo's for resuming his education! Good luck to him!

LucaGol
09-10-2008, 11:11 AM

Italy is land of the target man ... maybe you think that target men in Italy have more skill than the ones in England ... but there are definitely plenty of one-dimensional strikers in Italy ...

Inzaghi
Gilardino
Bianchi
Bonnazzoli
German Denis
Calaio
Corradi
Cacia
Acquafresca

All European leagues have these types of players ... I don't think its limited to just one country.

Trane, I think what you're trying to differentiate is the style of play in which the "big man" is utilized. In England it was more about route 1, let the big centre forward hold the ball up and take your chances quick and fast ... in Italy the target men tend to be played in more with passes along the deck and are better poachers with their feet rather than with their head.

That's just my take.

trane
09-10-2008, 11:44 AM
^ Agreed. But my point is that a "target man's" as defined by the posterprimary role was to hold the ball up and distribute. I do not know of any stiker in Italy who was not expected as you say to be the poacher of the ball, to be able to strike the ball into the net and not just hold it up and distribute it. I like target man, I would take that type of striker over a smaller quicker one, I love Inzaghi, I was suprised that Corradi did not do better in England. Toni is my favourite stiker. But I have read repeatebly on these board, of a type of Target Man Cetre Forward, who played in an older English style that was not expected to score, that is what I do not think you get alot of in Italy, at least that I am aware of.

There is plenty of English strikers that would play the target man role and can score, and that I would take for my squad at any time, Ashton from West Ham is but one. He is a "target man" but he can ceartainly put the ball into the net with a quicke strike as seen in the All Star game.