PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Tuesday , Sept.09

denime
09-09-2008, 06:02 AM
Carver's pledge to Reds fans
Toronto coach thanks supporters

Toronto FC coach John Carver has thanked supporters for backing the team during Saturday's 3-1 defeat at home to Chivas USA. The Reds were missing eight first team players away on international duty as they fell to their second home League defeat of the season. Toronto are six points off the playoff pace with seven games remaining. "We face a difficult task getting into the playoffs now, but we are still in with a chance," said Carver. "There are 21 points left to play for, and we'll keep on fighting. I can promise the supporters, we won't be giving up."

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080908&content_id=186498&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Sutton returns to training
Toronto 'keeper back at BMO Field

Toronto FC goalkeeper Greg Sutton returned to training on Monday at BMO Field following the birth of his first child, Maya Elizabeth. Sutton will stay in Toronto this week instead of joining the Canada squad in Mexico. "I'm going to stay here and make sure that everything is ok at home," said Sutton. "It is an awesome time in my life and I want to stay home with my family." Sutton left the Canada squad to return to Toronto ahead of the 2-1 defeat to Honduras in World Cup Qualifying on Saturday. "I was sitting in the hospital watching the Canada game, and it was really disappointing because it was a great opportunity for us to take three points at home.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080908&content_id=186591&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Future looks good, TFC's Johnston says
Team picks up option year on coach Carver

Toronto FC director of soccer Mo Johnston may not be stalking the sidelines during Major League Soccer games this season, but the fiery Scot still is in the middle of the action, only now it's behind the scenes.
With the squad coming off a game on Saturday in which nine roster players were unavailable because of international duty, resulting in a 3-1 loss to a beatable Chivas USA side, Johnston blasted his critics and praised his coaching staff yesterday in a sit-down interview.
"Look I see where some people are saying that (TFC) shouldn't have signed so many players with international commitments," he said. "But players like Julius James, Marvell Wynne and Jarrod Smith (who were called up by their national teams this past weekend) were not considered national team level players until after they came to us."
Johnston said that instead of being criticized by some in the league for his signing of young players, it should be recognized that TFC obviously has had a hand in developing them to be good enough to play at the international level.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/09/09/6707191-sun.html)

Toronto FC to retain John Carver as coach

His team has just one win in its last 11 games, and the playoffs seem like a mirage.
But even though Toronto FC is in danger of failing to qualify for the Major League Soccer playoffs for a second straight season, John Carver revealed Monday that a "commitment has been made" by upper management to bring him back as the team's coach next year.
That will be music to the ears of Toronto fans who unfurled a huge sign reading "In Carver We Trust" during Saturday's 3-1 home loss to Chivas USA.
It also comes as a bit of a surprise, because last month Carver told reporters that he was on a one-year deal and that he just started renegotiation talks with Toronto FC.

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/09/08/mls-torontofc-carver.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

denime
09-09-2008, 06:12 AM
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
An open letter to the CSA Board of Directors from a disenchanted fan

Gentlemen

I'm writing to you today to make it known that I, and the majority of Canadian soccer supporters, are thoroughly disgusted that Dale Mitchell was on Sunday's flight out of Montreal en route to Mexico. He should have been heading home to British Columbia after Saturday's disaster in Montreal.

Read more (http://bcsoccerweb.com/articles-letters-2008/letter-rossi-sep-08.htm)

VPjr, nice to your letter is out in public already.

ensco
09-09-2008, 06:30 AM
Mo is not being straightforward. From the Sun....

"Look I see where some people are saying that (TFC) shouldn't have signed so many players with international commitments," he said. "But players like Julius James, Marvell Wynne and Jarrod Smith (who were called up by their national teams this past weekend) were not considered national team level players until after they came to us."

That's true for Marvell. But he (and Edu) are the only ones it was/is true for.

Julius, Jarrod (and Marshall/Velez/Ruiz/Guevara/Brennan/Sutton) were all predictable callups prior to arriving here.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-09-2008, 06:47 AM
In CARVER WE TRUST!

rocker
09-09-2008, 07:06 AM
Julius was not a predictable callup. He even said himself he had gone to the TnT camp after he was drafted and didn't think he was ready for the team.

I agree with this statement:
"Yet when these young players like Marvell and Julius improve to the point where they are of value to their national teams, those same people say 'Why did you sign an international knowing they would be called up?'

Julius is 24 years old and had never been a part of the men's national team of TnT until he gained notoriety with TFC. Same with Marvell. Nobody expected Marvell to be on the men's team of USA until he started getting seen with TFC.

Oldtimer
09-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Julius was not a predictable callup. He even said himself he had gone to the TnT camp after he was drafted and didn't think he was ready for the team.

I agree with this statement:
"Yet when these young players like Marvell and Julius improve to the point where they are of value to their national teams, those same people say 'Why did you sign an international knowing they would be called up?'

Julius is 24 years old and had never been a part of the men's national team of TnT until he gained notoriety with TFC. Same with Marvell. Nobody expected Marvell to be on the men's team of USA until he started getting seen with TFC.

Don't give facts, Rocker! They're inconvenient truths... :lol:

BuSaPuNk
09-09-2008, 08:11 AM
" I've got a lot of supporters behind me, and I really appreciate that, because I'm not going to walk away from this situation, it just makes me stronger and more determined. I'll guarantee the fans that I will give them the product that they deserve. Whether it's this season or the following season, it will happen. They deserve nothing less."

And this is why Carver is the man. IN CARVER WE TRUST!

arbogast
09-09-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm really happy about Carver's contract renewal. Now if we can just settle on a stable squad we'll be away to the races.

Eastend
09-09-2008, 08:47 AM
" I've got a lot of supporters behind me, and I really appreciate that, because I'm not going to walk away from this situation, it just makes me stronger and more determined. I'll guarantee the fans that I will give them the product that they deserve. Whether it's this season or the following season, it will happen. They deserve nothing less."

...and the reason a few Durham RPB's created the Carver banner of this past weekend.....good on ya!

Technorgasm
09-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Some bright news this morning from Carver.

Is it really a case of "next year" ?

Have we conceeded, however improbable?

Maple Leaf Red
09-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Fuck me Techno, your avatar is unreal...

Great news about Carver.

Oldtimer
09-09-2008, 09:31 AM

..and his quote is now my tagline!

Fort York Redcoat
09-09-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm never slagging a coach that gets international level talent and is then penalized by mickey mouse league scheduling.

We're John Carver's All Red Army!

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-09-2008, 01:27 PM
If we have all this international level talent, why do we lose all the time?

Fort York Redcoat
09-09-2008, 01:38 PM
That's the issue, isn't it? But don't tell me international players should be avoided and their caps mean nothing.

kitchener-TFC
09-09-2008, 09:37 PM
I've always liked Carver since he came to Toronto. I think the reason we lost saturday was because he was all "dressed up".

jloome
09-10-2008, 12:45 AM
If we have all this international level talent, why do we lose all the time?

No consistency in the roster, therefore no consistency in the tactical approach. Remember what happened during the brief period earlier this season when we had everybody healthy and here? It's the only reason we have the 7 wins.