PDA

View Full Version : Edu needs to drop back more

jloome
05-19-2008, 03:07 AM
...his continuing offensive efforts are often admirable, but we end up having too many mids clogging up the middle, especially when Carver has switched the wingers and has them cutting inside onto their strong shooting foot.

There were a number of occasions against Columbus where good control was squandered because there wasn't enough room to move into space, due to all the congestion. We'd be better playing a true 4-1-1 with both centre mids playing conservatively than the 451 style right now, in which both guevara and edu are pushing up.

Fiin
05-19-2008, 05:09 AM
...his continuing offensive efforts are often admirable, but we end up having too many mids clogging up the middle, especially when Carver has switched the wingers and has them cutting inside onto their strong shooting foot.

There were a number of occasions against Columbus where good control was squandered because there wasn't enough room to move into space, due to all the congestion. We'd be better playing a true 4-1-1 with both centre mids playing conservatively than the 451 style right now, in which both guevara and edu are pushing up.

I agree, and Edu had kind of just been invisable this yr.. oh well, give him a couple more games and hope he gets more comfy with is mates.

J .
05-19-2008, 06:06 AM
His striking of the ball was north of brutal on saturday, he played well in the middle of the field however.

Limani_Ole
05-19-2008, 04:45 PM

Good ideas.. but Carver wants Edu pushing up.. just following orders..

rocker
05-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Wynne has developed more since last season than Edu does, despite basically having the same experience in the off season.

Red CB Toronto
05-19-2008, 04:55 PM
I do agree it did get a little too busy up front, Maurice who drop back to open it up and give the men up front more space to move around and put the ball in the net.

Lenny Dikestra
05-19-2008, 07:45 PM
You know what I think .. well in my educated opinion I would say put Mo Edu at striker for now till we get a guy in there that can do it.. He is fast young and pretty good with the ball..
To me at midfield he is allright but lacks good passing skills.
Striker i tell ya .. he could do it well I think

jloome
05-19-2008, 07:47 PM
You know what I think .. well in my educated opinion I would say put Mo Edu at striker for now till we get a guy in there that can do it.. He is fast young and pretty good with the ball..
To me at midfield he is allright but lacks good passing skills.
Striker i tell ya .. he could do it well I think

It'd be interesting to see Robert playing upfront off of Dichio; he's not....uh...world-reknowned for his work rate, so playing as a striker, drifting into space, cannoning shots in etc etc.

graeme117
05-19-2008, 07:50 PM
i think the clogging of the MF is due to armando not pushing up as far as he should. so when edu drifts in to an AM role armando is still there. i think this is a system thing that will work out as time goes on

futbol_fever
05-19-2008, 08:21 PM
edu is not the problem....we have had a clean sheet 3 of our last 4 games....so we have no defensive problems as of right now...i agree with graeme117...amado has to push up way more...and play off dichio's touches....

ag futbol
05-19-2008, 08:25 PM
I'd totally disagree that Amado has to push up more. He's having to come back for the ball too much as it is. That's only going to push him further out of the play.

Joe Ross is bang on in his blog. Despite where we are playing him Guevara has played most of his career as a playmaking mid, usually on the wing. He needs to get closer to a role like that and we'll see the best results.

jloome
05-19-2008, 09:15 PM
I'd totally disagree that Amado has to push up more. He's having to come back for the ball too much as it is. That's only going to push him further out of the play.

Joe Ross is bang on in his blog. Despite where we are playing him Guevara has played most of his career as a playmaking mid, usually on the wing. He needs to get closer to a role like that and we'll see the best results.

So do we play Edu behind the Striker? He did it once last season, I seem to recall....

graeme117
05-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Thats the thing... to move armando out to the wings we need another striker or maybe use robert as an AM? i just don't see a solution for moving armando about... other than into more advanced positions. will moving robert into the centre probably won't solve anything? Even if it does edu or robbo still has to move forward so our front isn't always turning round for the ball

ag futbol
05-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Honestly, I think you're right that we let him drop back more. To avoid clogging up the mid I think you advance the wingers a bit more and play something closer to a 4-3-3. More guys out wide should free up space for guys like Guevara and Robinson to make quick passes out of the centre. Going inside-outside.

I'd go something like this:

Robert-------------------Cunny (for the lack of anyone else who fits this)
----------Guevara---------------
Edu---------------------Ricketts
----------robinson---------------
----the same defenders------------

Edu would play more withdrawn than ricketts. Guevara is still in the mid, but he's more withdrawn and has more targets to pass to.