PDA

View Full Version : New Schedule for MLS?

Lucky Strike
09-08-2008, 12:43 PM
http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/09/report-mls-board-of-governors-to.html

I know I often bring reports from MLS Rumors but unlike some others (no sarcasm/negativity implied), I don't believe all they publish is rubbish.

So it's in that light that I bring this link that discusses the possibility of MLS adopting a Mexican style Apertura/Clausura (literally opening and closing I think in Spanish) which would see MLS respect FIFA dates. For the uninitiated, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primera_Divisi%C3%B3n_de_M%C3%A9xico#The_Playoffs.

The playoffs would be potentially re-jigged in the style of the A-League in Australia. For those unfamiliar with the system can consult http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_A-League#Format under the heading of "Finals Series"

I find it interesting, what do you think?

SLBuu
09-08-2008, 12:57 PM
wow

that is confusing to a first time reader......

i personally havemixed feelings about it. Im not sure the public in general with be okay with something out of the norm (conferences, etc).

Oldtimer
09-08-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm neutral about Apertura/Clausura (not really familiar with it), but a single table would be great!

Pigfynn
09-08-2008, 01:04 PM
I really like this idea and I truly believe that soccer is different and real fans of the game need these types of things in place to make them feel comfortable with getting on board.

It's the only way they have a chance of converting the hardcore soccer fans from their EPL, La Liga bias.

Maple Leaf Red
09-08-2008, 01:13 PM
I hate the Apertura/Clausura system:

In the case of Mexico, Argentina and other countries in South America, a new champion is crowned about every five months, or two per year.

It's a scam to make fans think that there team always has a chance at the title which in theory makes fans come out in droves because if they have a bad team they just have to wait 5 months for another shot. Not to mention that two league titles a year will make the league look Mickey Mouse to most soccer fans even a lot of the latino ones that this switch is supposed to attract.. On top of that add in the playoff system?

They've put in this system in Colombia and it has not been well received at all. Attendance is still shit and now there is the ridiculousness of a team that won 18 real titles (Millonarios) being caught by teams that are winning two titles in one year.

Single table though, that's cool

Detroit_TFC
09-08-2008, 01:16 PM
YES! This would be a vast improvement.

It'll be cold as a mofo at BMO but I don't care. A frozen pitch might cut down on the diving.

Maple Leaf Red
09-08-2008, 01:18 PM
I really like this idea and I truly believe that soccer is different and real fans of the game need these types of things in place to make them feel comfortable with getting on board.

It's the only way they have a chance of converting the hardcore soccer fans from their EPL, La Liga bias.
Not sure two champions a year is the way to go...

ilikemusic
09-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Apartura/Clausura is by far the best system for a north American football league.

I dont believe MLS is smart enough to do this though.

And im shocked at the resistance to this idea. Soccer in Texas in the middle of August is just plain stupid.

flatpicker
09-08-2008, 01:36 PM
ok... so I skimmed through the info very quickly...

are they saying the schedule would start sooner, end later, and have a break in the middle?

I sure hope they don't try and have two championships a year... that would be lame!

Why don't they just space the games out more in the middle... surely they can still insert a few MLS matches in the middle after they know the FIFA dates.

Nuvinho
09-08-2008, 01:46 PM
ok... so I skimmed through the info very quickly...

are they saying the schedule would start sooner, end later, and have a break in the middle?

I sure hope they don't try and have two championships a year... that would be lame!

Why don't they just space the games out more in the middle... surely they can still insert a few MLS matches in the middle after they know the FIFA dates.

Keep the same system, but schedule more weekday games. I know that MLS has an ESPN game every Thursday....so why not make it a double header...one game at 7pm then another one at 9pm (How the NFL does it for Monday night).

Shaughno
09-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Not sure two champions a year is the way to go...

You mean like the Supporters Shield and MLS Cup? :rolleyes:

Lucky Strike
09-08-2008, 01:52 PM
My only gripe with the Apertura/Clausura is that it produces two champions per year (obviously). My fear is that it would diminish the value of a title.

The A-League playoffs were a bit weird to me when I first read about them last year, but it's not as complicated as it seems. The major and minor thing is just basically a bye-system.

Lucky Strike
09-08-2008, 01:54 PM

Might be picking nits, but I see it as different. The Shield is more seen like the President's trophy in hockey: nice to have, but what you really want is to win the playoff final.

flatpicker
09-08-2008, 02:03 PM
I they would be better off starting the season a couple of weeks earlier and the put a little more space between games in the middle, while have more games on weekdays in the middle of the schedule as well.

but what do I know... I leave those decisions to people who are supposed to know best.

TFCREDNWHITE
09-08-2008, 02:32 PM
FiFa International Dates for 2009

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/calendar&live/51/52/61/internationalmc-fifa-dates-2008-2014-updatemay2008-en.pdf (http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/calendar&live/51/52/61/internationalmc-fifa-dates-2008-2014-updatemay2008-en.pdf)

MLS Regular season = 28/29 weeks

Number of Regular Season games to be played: 30 15 = home and 15 = away

One possible solution of being aware and respectful of FiFa international dates would be
To play 2 games a week for only 8 weeks of the 28 week schedule. I believe that having only 28% of your schedule over-loaded is reasonable. You could also take the 8 weeks in which your playing 2 games a week and spread it out so it happens around once a month or you can look at it like this, you play 2 games in a single week every 4 weeks approx…

I think by doing this it immediately satisfies the international commitments…then after that is satisfied, you can then start incorporating ALL-STAR games, Concacaf Champions League and so on…But I think that this logic should form the foundation of the schedule..

I would love to hear your thoughts and possible solutions

flatpicker
09-08-2008, 02:45 PM
^ I think you are essentially expanding on what I was trying to say. Therefore I dig what you are saying.

I don't think they need to shut the season down in the middle... just tweak it.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-08-2008, 02:52 PM
I believe they also do apertura and clausura in Argentina, it seems like a bit of a weird system, but it would harmonize the league with FIFA dates...

deltox
09-08-2008, 02:58 PM
the presidents trophy means nothing in hockey.

but the supporters shield is just as important as the MLS cup.

thats the mindset that needs to change.

winning the league gets you into Concacaf just as the MLS cup does.

TFCREDNWHITE
09-08-2008, 03:02 PM
I believe they also do apertura and clausura in Argentina, it seems like a bit of a weird system, but it would harmonize the league with FIFA dates...

What are your thoughts about what i was saying a couple of posts above^^??

Fort York Redcoat
09-08-2008, 03:04 PM
the presidents trophy means nothing in hockey.

but the supporters shield is just as important as the MLS cup.

thats the mindset that needs to change.

winning the league gets you into Concacaf just as the MLS cup does.

More so for some. I'm hoping playoffs go away when we grow into a league the rest of the world stops snickering at.

Maple Leaf Red
09-08-2008, 03:04 PM
No, because in the records books there is one league champion each season and it's the MLS Cup winner.

Maple Leaf Red
09-08-2008, 03:09 PM
FiFa International Dates for 2009

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/calendar&live/51/52/61/internationalmc-fifa-dates-2008-2014-updatemay2008-en.pdf (http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/calendar&live/51/52/61/internationalmc-fifa-dates-2008-2014-updatemay2008-en.pdf)

MLS Regular season = 28/29 weeks

Number of Regular Season games to be played: 30 15 = home and 15 = away

One possible solution of being aware and respectful of FiFa international dates would be
To play 2 games a week for only 8 weeks of the 28 week schedule. I believe that having only 28% of your schedule over-loaded is reasonable. You could also take the 8 weeks in which your playing 2 games a week and spread it out so it happens around once a month or you can look at it like this, you play 2 games in a single week every 4 weeks approx…

I think by doing this it immediately satisfies the international commitments…then after that is satisfied, you can then start incorporating ALL-STAR games, Concacaf Champions League and so on…But I think that this logic should form the foundation of the schedule..

I would love to hear your thoughts and possible solutions
One of the issues that the MLS has had is that mid-week games are very difficult for teams to sell because they have all stupidly marketed to soccer moms and families. Obviously it isn't a problem for TFC but that will be a big complaint from the other shittier clubs.

So far your solution sounds good and it keeps the league away from awarding two titles a year which is a bonus.

OneLoveOneEric
09-08-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm all for 2 games per week, and have been all along. This is what other leagues do when other fixtures pile up (cups, internationals, UEFA games, etc.)
Seems reasonable to me, and wouldn't happen that often.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-08-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm all for 2 games per week, and have been all along. This is what other leagues do when other fixtures pile up (cups, internationals, UEFA games, etc.)
Seems reasonable to me, and wouldn't happen that often.

agreed

NF-FC
09-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Why does there have to be two champions? Most leagues in the colder areas of Europe take winter breaks, then continue the season. 1 Champion!

flatpicker
09-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Why does there have to be two champions? Most leagues in the colder areas of Europe take winter breaks, then continue the season. 1 Champion!

I am definitely not cool with the two Champs scenario.

It would make it feel like the Sunday School where everyone's a winner!

Maple Leaf Red
09-09-2008, 09:24 AM
I am definitely not cool with the two Champs scenario.

It would make it feel like the Sunday School where everyone's a winner!
Sunday school promotes no sex until marriage. No one's a winner there...

Fort York Redcoat
09-09-2008, 10:56 AM
this is a step in the right direction but not what I see as the end goal. The Apetura/Clausara has been used for quite some years down south but does NOT ensure respecting FIFA dates (see Brazilian league amongst others) If the intent is to respect FIFA dates and adopt a Southern system I'm for it. There is already a league competition I don't care for the addition of another is inconsequential if it means prospective players need not worry about overlapping league/international play.

This also could serve as a baby step to what I'd like to see like the Scandanavian countries that respect FIFA dates and have our schedule and forego playoffs.

But one step at a time...

TFCREDNWHITE
09-09-2008, 11:15 AM
One of the issues that the MLS has had is that mid-week games are very difficult for teams to sell because they have all stupidly marketed to soccer moms and families. Obviously it isn't a problem for TFC but that will be a big complaint from the other shittier clubs.

So far your solution sounds good and it keeps the league away from awarding two titles a year which is a bonus.

Also, in addition to what i wrote before...

Another good value added bonus that can be marketed and trumped up for not only ourselves, but for other teams in the league is....

If you have 8 weeks where the team plays twice in one week, theoritically 4 of those would be HOME GAMES, which means teams can bundle the weekday and weekend games together as 2-game packs!! i think that would be an awesome deal!!

Honestly, maybe you and I should write MLS and offer our services!! :)
I think currently, the only way to go is to have 8 out of the 28/29 weeks playing twice in a week...then do a bang up job of marketing it and selling it!!

greatwhitenorf
09-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Before judging this idea of two seasons, take a look on mlsnet at the schedule/results link. They post attendances of each game. Note how attendance numbers are thin early on and build through the summer months.

Sadly, the playoffs don't necessarily mean bigger numbers. American soccer needs the summer holiday period to market and promote ticket sales to teams or groups, i.e., the soccer mom market.

A dual season might appeal to the hardest core supporters. But there aren't nearly enough to pay the bills. Not for a few years anyway.

Maple Leaf Red
09-10-2008, 02:48 PM
If you have 8 weeks where the team plays twice in one week, theoritically 4 of those would be HOME GAMES, which means teams can bundle the weekday and weekend games together as 2-game packs!! i think that would be an awesome deal!!

That's a great idea although the issue that norf points out about summer attendance is a troublesome one.

In theory though, marketing to football fans rathers than families helps with that one as well.