PDA

View Full Version : TFC player leading the league in frequent flyer miles....

ensco
09-07-2008, 06:16 PM
....is not Carlos Ruiz

Jarrod Smith played 89 minutes yesterday in New Caledonia in the South Pacific, and New Zealand are now the Oceania region champions.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/oceania/matches/round=250488/match=300035732/index.html

Jarrod has a terrific chance to get to South Africa, now that Australia play in Asia (for FIFA purposes). NZ will play the 5th place Asian side for a spot in WC2010.

Way to go, Jarrod.

Keegan
09-07-2008, 06:25 PM
How bullshit is that?

ASIA gets 4 guaranteed spots with basically a 5th because New Zealand is garbage and would get killed in CONCACAF.

We get 3 with our 4th place team playing 5th from South America....

BS

LucaGol
09-07-2008, 06:29 PM
I think the CONCACAF region gets the shaft big time from FIFA. We should at least be getting 3.5 spots.

What have asian countries ever accomplished on the international stage?

werewolf
09-07-2008, 06:30 PM
We do get 3.5 spots....

LucaGol
09-07-2008, 06:31 PM
We do get 3.5 spots....

Do we?

Who played for the half spot last World Cup?

werewolf
09-07-2008, 06:32 PM
USA, Mexico, Costa Rica with TnT beating Bahrain in a playoff

LucaGol
09-07-2008, 06:35 PM
USA, Mexico, Costa Rica with TnT beating Bahrain in a playoff

Right.

Well good. I guess that's all we deserve then.

flatpicker
09-07-2008, 06:37 PM
^ hahahaaaa....

werewolf
09-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Now that Austrailia is out of Oceania, its kind of really weak. I think they should be somewhat marginalized into Asia. But the distances between a place like Samoa has no business or resources to play Bahrain or Saudi.

ensco
09-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Jarrod's definitely going to feel to love when he reads this thread.

NZ vanquished the mighty sides of Fiji, New Caledonia and Vanuatu, to win Oceania. They will have a shot against the Asian team - Asia's not deep

Once you get past Australia, Japan and South Korea the teams fall off drastically - all NZ have to do is beat a Bahrain or a China to get there. It's a lot tougher in CONCACAF. The fourth Asian team, and the fifth (or NZ), are going to be the patsies of WC2010.

It is amazing that maybe 5 or 7 past and present MLS players will get to South Africa, and Jarrod and Andy Boyens could easily be two of them!

(I guess we learned with Collin Samuel that some of the unlikeliest players get that chance, while other far more deserving ones never do.)

werewolf
09-07-2008, 07:14 PM
:lol:

Good for him, a lot of hassle to go through to represent his country. Same with Andy Boyens.

arbogast
09-07-2008, 07:25 PM
I think the CONCACAF region gets the shaft big time from FIFA. We should at least be getting 3.5 spots.

What have asian countries ever accomplished on the international stage?

hmmm...Korea did pretty well in 2002. Let's face it Asia is a bigger market.

ensco
09-07-2008, 07:29 PM
What, you think FIFA might prefer China to Guatemala or Canada at WC2010? ;)

SilverSamurai
09-07-2008, 07:31 PM
How bullshit is that?

ASIA gets 4 guaranteed spots with basically a 5th because New Zealand is garbage and would get killed in CONCACAF.

BS

New Zealand is also on the other side of the planet of us pretty much.
CONCACAF should get 4 permanent spots. Why should Europe get like 12 or 13 that they get? We should get 4.5 here.
Their are probably more countries in CONCACAF and the African region (don't know their name for FIFA footy region) and they get 5? 6 this 1 time.
WTF?!:mad:

ensco
09-07-2008, 07:34 PM
New Zealand is also on the other side of the planet of us pretty much.
CONCACAF should get 4 permanent spots. Why should Europe get like 12 or 13 that they get? We should get 4.5 here.
Their are probably more countries in CONCACAF and the African region (don't know their name for FIFA footy region) and they get 5? 6 this 1 time.
WTF?!:mad:

They want balance geographically, and it's also about money (see points above)

btw, with respect, I think you're wrong, if you look at Elo, Europe has 18 of the top 32 spots. Euro teams get screwed in terms of WC spots.

http://www.eloratings.net/world.html

King Tut
09-08-2008, 07:29 AM
All the best to Jarrod Smith in the confederations cup, unless New Zealand faces the mighty Pharaohs! ;)

http://profile.ak.facebook.com/object2/29/24/l8221687389_3975.jpg

nimamalek
09-08-2008, 02:02 PM
How bullshit is that?

BS

bullshit? did you see Canada play? and we're one of the better teams in CONCACAF, Japan, Korea, China, Iran, Saudi Arabia all perform better than the 3rd place CONCACAF team in the world cup usually.

werewolf
09-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Japan and Korea surely. While Iran and Saudi did get 1 point to Costa Rica's 0, its not a large difference last time around. And China was awful in '02, the only team being worse was Saudi, Costa Rica only missed out on the knock-out stage based on goal differential.

RealG-TFC
09-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Jarrod's definitely going to feel to love when he reads this thread.

NZ vanquished the mighty sides of Fiji, New Caledonia and Vanuatu, to win Oceania. They will have a shot against the Asian team - Asia's not deep

Once you get past Australia, Japan and South Korea the teams fall off drastically - all NZ have to do is beat a Bahrain or a China to get there. It's a lot tougher in CONCACAF. The fourth Asian team, and the fifth (or NZ), are going to be the patsies of WC2010.

It is amazing that maybe 5 or 7 past and present MLS players will get to South Africa, and Jarrod and Andy Boyens could easily be two of them!

(I guess we learned with Collin Samuel that some of the unlikeliest players get that chance, while other far more deserving ones never do.)

Not really, Iran and Saudi Arabia are up there. Uzbekistan and N. Korea have been playing pretty well lately too.

ensco
09-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Not really, Iran and Saudi Arabia are up there. Uzbekistan and N. Korea have been playing pretty well lately too.

I know Iran are up there in Elo....I just don't see them as in the same category as the others, for me I need to see teams like Iran and Saudi Arabia do better at World Cups (although Saudi did make some noise at USA 94)

Strikers
09-09-2008, 03:01 PM
I would just like to say there is a rotation system for the half spot. For 2010 CONCACAF faces South America. For 2014 CONCACAF faces Asia.

ensco
09-09-2008, 05:13 PM
The Saudis did score one of the greatest ever WC goals in 1994...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8w89sl7Grc