PDA

View Full Version : Next Week's game (Football talk, not Carver bashing!!)

Nuvinho
09-07-2008, 10:20 AM
No more JC bashing, Mo bashing, etc. Let's talk about football.

I am being optimistic, but if we beat Columbus ( I know a FEW ppl will laugh at this notion), we could be 3 pts out of a playoff spot. NEVER GIVE UP!!!

For me, finally Velez is out!!! I enjoyed watching some of the younger guys show what they got, Rosenlund and Smith played well.

vs. Columbus:

-----------------------Sutton-------------------------

Wynne---------James--------Marshall----------Brennan

----------------------Robbo---------------------------
Ricketts---------------------------------------Jo.Smith
----------------------Guevara-------------------------

---------------Barrett--------Ruiz----------------------

Guys who can get a run out in the 60th+ minutes:
1) Roselund for James - slot Robbo in the back 4
2) Ibbe for Jo.Smith
3) Dichio for Barrett - I would like to see how Ruiz and Dichio play together.

even tho Columbus is in 1st, they are beatable. They went through a stretch where they couldn't win a game. Its the MLS...anyone can win!!!

jabbronies
09-07-2008, 10:33 AM

Wynne---------Titus--------Marshall----------Brennan

----------------Robbo--------Jo.Smith-----------------
Ricketts--------------------------------------Guevara--
----------------Barrett--------Ruiz----------------------

-Titus was great yesterday...that's what we need in CB.... Big Strong and speed!
-I'd like to see Brennan and Guevera hook up more on that left
-Jo Smith needs support, he gets crowded way too much and looses the ball way too often. With Robbo there to bail him out, it may do better. It'll also open up the wings because everyone will crowd him in the mid.

Corpand
09-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Hopefully Columbus doesnt cream us, I really want to see how Ruiz utilizes his partnership with Barrett. Dichio should definitely come in at the 60th mark or so (or better yet start him if fit).

jabbronies
09-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Dichio should definitely come in at the 60th mark or so (or better yet start him if fit).

Either works:

Dichio starts - He wears the D down physically, then you bring in someone with speed to run around the D

Dichio Subs in - He comes into a worn out D. only thing is, he needs a striking partner who is fit enough at the time up front to run down his headers.

Parkdale
09-07-2008, 11:33 AM
you know what.....

if we can slaughter the CREW in front of their 100ish fans at home..... Then I'll consider that a highpoint to the season.

fuck I hate the crew. We can't win the league, but we can crush the crew.

Maple Leaf Red
09-07-2008, 12:01 PM
-Jo Smith needs support, he gets crowded way too much and looses the ball way too often. With Robbo there to bail him out, it may do better. It'll also open up the wings because everyone will crowd him in the mid.
Jo was getting double-teamed yesterday and most of the time no one was giving him an outlet to get away from it.

I am excited for seeing our full lineup together for the first time in what seems like millennia.

ben_vw
09-07-2008, 12:08 PM

Wynne---------Titus--------Marshall----------Brennan

----------------Robbo--------Jo.Smith-----------------
Ricketts--------------------------------------Guevara--
----------------Barrett--------Ruiz----------------------

-Titus was great yesterday...that's what we need in CB.... Big Strong and speed!
-I'd like to see Brennan and Guevera hook up more on that left

Titus played well - but he's 39...

London
09-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Titus played well - but he's 39...

i think he has to work a double shift at UPS anyway:)

seriously, the crew crushed NE last nite 4-0 and they are playing well rite now, i see us needing our best performance this season to beat them.

fuck you stilletto!!!!

jloome
09-07-2008, 12:56 PM
He's also under contract to the Lynx, isn't he? We'd have to buy him or get a release, which isn't going to happen for a 39-year-old.(everyone forgets, I think, that he was MLS defender of the year in 2002. It was always his unwillingness to curb his opinion that cost him with management, and USL offered better money later in his career.

He's a very good defender, always has been.

We can't play a diamond in the middle with Robbo recessed, as Schellotto will eat us alive if we give him time in the middle third. We have to challenge him whereever he is on the pitch, preferably with a single man-marking assignment. he's the backbone of their team, the entire reason they're doing as welll as they are.

That means a player sticking on his hip.

We'd be better off, given Columbus's record and excellent counter, playing conservatively and countering ourselves, negating their game. They're one of the most consistent teams in the league right now, despite being shitheads from a crappy town with no real fans.

We also want to shut down Rogers, so we have to pressure the wings and keep Wynne back more than normal.

I say, given his weaknesses in both ball-watching (concentration) and positioning but his physical strength and athleticism, we should use Julius James as a roving marker to simply stay on schellotto all game and take him out:

How about:

---------------Sutton------------------
Wynne---Attakora/Regan----Marshall----Brennan
--------Robbo---------Harmse------------
--------------James (floating, marking schellotto)
-----Ricketts------------Guevara-----------
---------------Barrett--------------------

Oldtimer
09-07-2008, 01:02 PM
He's also under contract to the Lynx, isn't he?

Former Lynx, now Italia Shooters (CSL).

jloome
09-08-2008, 06:32 AM
Well, he didn't look like a liability to me, so I say we sign him as backup for the rest of the season.

Cobblers
09-08-2008, 07:02 AM
I would start Titus at the back with Marshall if he's available to us. And while I agree we shouldn't play a diamond (we actually never should as it creates a huge hole in the middle where we have been killed a few times this season) there's no way I'd choose James to try and shadow Schellotto - I would much prefer to see Harmse doing this - he's got a much better positional sense and reads the game better than James.

Shaughno
09-08-2008, 07:22 AM
I was pleasantly surprised with Titus, but I don't think we should be considering him in our plans. He was fairly solid for the most part, but you could see he was still trying to adjust to the pace and level of the game, which forced him to make a few errors. Keep him on the bench if somehow the Shooters will let it happen, but we can't start relying on a 39 year old 'loanee'. Perfect chance for James to get a run out.

Let's be honest, every game should be as important as the next. Whether we're in line to qualify for the playoffs or not. Roselund for me was easily the best player on the pitch on Saturday. Carver should be looking to give this kid some serious sub minutes for the remainder of the season. Same with Attakora, Gala and James, I think if you give them some first team experience now then by the time pre-season finishes, these kids should be just about ready, and hungry enough, to be consistantly fighting for that precious starting XI spot.

As for this week, I mostly agree with jloome's strategy. Rogers and SHITletto need to be taken out of the game. My changes though would be as follows:

Wynne---Attakora/James----Marshall----Brennan
-------------------Robbo------------
------------Guevara(floating, marking schellotto)
Ricketts-------------------------Jo.Smith
-------------Barrett----Ruiz----------------

Reasoning behind my changes:

Guevara hasn't played as an attacking mid for us... since basically we stopped using him as a striker. As he was in the Honduran squad, centrally seems to be his preference. It allows him creative space and time, and he's actually damn good at taking people out of play (ie. JDG). Give him the SHITletto task, and tell him to make sure the cunt is not diving but going down because of injury.

Johann has been a spark of life for us, but he still doesn't have anyone trying to work one-two's or creative plays with him. I think this is where Ruiz comes into play. Let Ruiz play up front on Johann's side and let them link up to see what they can produce. I think this could be a more valuable connection than Barret/Ruiz personally. They both have flair, they both play hard and they both have a knack for making cutting runs.

I think Regan was ok, keep him on the bench though. Same as with Titus, was ok but not good or bad. Made mistakes and his pace was brutally exposed. A good option for the backline if needed.

LucaGol
09-08-2008, 07:27 AM
I was pleasantly surprised with Titus, but I don't think we should be considering him in our plans. He was fairly solid for the most part, but you could see he was still trying to adjust to the pace and level of the game, which forced him to make a few errors. Keep him on the bench if somehow the Shooters will let it happen, but we can't start relying on a 39 year old 'loanee'. Perfect chance for James to get a run out.

Let's be honest, every game should be as important as the next. Whether we're in line to qualify for the playoffs or not. Roselund for me was easily the best player on the pitch on Saturday. Carver should be looking to give this kid some serious sub minutes for the remainder of the season. Same with Attakora, Gala and James, I think if you give them some first team experience now then by the time pre-season finishes, these kids should be just about ready, and hungry enough, to be consistantly fighting for that precious starting XI spot.

As for this week, I mostly agree with jloome's strategy. Rogers and SHITletto need to be taken out of the game. My changes though would be as follows:

Wynne---Attakora/James----Marshall----Brennan
-------------------Robbo------------
------------Guevara(floating, marking schellotto)
Ricketts-------------------------Jo.Smith
-------------Barrett----Ruiz----------------

Reasoning behind my changes:

Guevara hasn't played as an attacking mid for us... since basically we stopped using him as a striker. As he was in the Honduran squad, centrally seems to be his preference. It allows him creative space and time, and he's actually damn good at taking people out of play (ie. JDG). Give him the SHITletto task, and tell him to make sure the cunt is not diving but going down because of injury.

Johann has been a spark of life for us, but he still doesn't have anyone trying to work one-two's or creative plays with him. I think this is where Ruiz comes into play. Let Ruiz play up front on Johann's side and let them link up to see what they can produce. I think this could be a more valuable connection than Barret/Ruiz personally. They both have flair, they both play hard and they both have a knack for making cutting runs.

I think Regan was ok, keep him on the bench though. Same as with Titus, was ok but not good or bad. Made mistakes and his pace was brutally exposed. A good option for the backline if needed.

I don't think Guevara man marking Schelotto is going to work.

If I remember correctly, we dealt with him pretty effectively last time he was at BMO by playing physical with him. He appeared to be completely rattled, was off his game and invisible.

If Carver wants to cancel out GBS, we have to let him know we're there ... even take a hard foul giving away a yellow if we have to. Once he starts having more discourse with the referee then he has time on the ball ... we're doing our job.

Shaughno
09-08-2008, 07:47 AM
I don't think Guevara man marking Schelotto is going to work.

If I remember correctly, we dealt with him pretty effectively last time he was at BMO by playing physical with him. He appeared to be completely rattled, was off his game and invisible.

If Carver wants to cancel out GBS, we have to let him know we're there ... even take a hard foul giving away a yellow if we have to. Once he starts having more discourse with the referee then he has time on the ball ... we're doing our job.

Which is why I think we could utilize Guevara's passion and ability to win the ball through hard tackles. Robbo needs to be able to do his job without worrying about a certain one player. Either that, or like someone mentioned Harmse. Though I'd much rather have Harmse on the bench and let Guevara do his thing. He was beyond solid as a CM for Honduras, why not utilize his abilities there? I mean, he's been almost useless for us lately as an out and out AM... he just wanders back into our half to win tackles. Make him our CM and you'll see a different player, I almost guarantee it.

felipe
09-08-2008, 08:56 AM
A lot of good ideas here, but...while Smith and Ibbe have shown flashes, they have also shown that they are not ready to start or play a full 90. Put Rosenlund on the flank and I think we'd have better results with him.

Shaughno
09-08-2008, 08:57 AM
A lot of good ideas here, but...while Smith and Ibbe have shown flashes, they have also shown that they are not ready to start or play a full 90. Put Rosenlund on the flank and I think we'd have better results with him.

Roselund is a central player though. He's shown that he's good in tight spaces and creating options out of crowded midfields. Why push him out to the flank where none of those talents can be utilized?

ben_vw
09-08-2008, 09:30 AM
I think Rosenlund deserves the start on Saturday, however I don't think benching Guevara or Robbo at this point in our season is a good idea. Remember, if we win our next two and either New York or DC lose their next two - we could be in a playoff spot (wishful thinking, I know, but we can't throw in the towel).

I think we need to stick to a 3-5-2 at this point and attack Columbus. Here is what I would probably do...

-------------------Sutton-------------------
------James-------Marshall------Brennan----
------------------Robinson------------------
-Wynne-----Ricketts----Guevara----Jo Smith-
----------Ruiz-------------Barrett-----------

Shaughno
09-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Not bad... but I think Rogers would tear our 3 man back line apart personally.

ben_vw
09-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Possibly - but he would have Marvell Wynne marking him...

Shaughno
09-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Wynne's hardly been stellar with his man marking :p

poppamidnight
09-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Well some things might not be known till later in the week:

-Is Ibbe's injury gunna keep him out again this game?
-Is Attakora looking to return early?

A thing to keep in mind, with carver, is he (for whatever reason) doesnt like to use all 3 subs and get the fresh legs in (prefers injury subs),

so you'll in all likeliehood, barring injury, see only 2 subs used,

-Dichio
+
-Harmse (although we all agree.... it should be ROSENLUND, but Carver is silly like that)

I have a feeling Ruiz will net one this weekend.... it's something in the air.....
....and yes, i predict a 1-goal game

EDIT: Can we sign Titus for the rest of the year??? does he have to go through the allocation garbage or what???
IMO, he's been better than VELEZ .... just in that 90 mins of him i saw

...Not the Velez that started the year, but the Velez that has shown up for us the past 6 weeks

Shaughno
09-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Don't see the point in rushing either of those two back when we have other players available to cover.

v00d00daddy
09-08-2008, 11:34 AM
What do you guys think of this:

-Wynne-----James-----Marshall----Brennan----
------Ricketts----Robinson----Roselund--------
-----------------Guevara---------------------

Can Roselund play out there?

I think Robbo has to play in a little more of an advanced position. It has to be his responsiblity to keep GBS in check. We can't use Guevara to mark him, that's a waste.

It will be nice to see Guevara and Ruiz work together at home. Hopefully it will yield some results.

LucaGol
09-08-2008, 11:45 AM
What do you guys think of this:

-Wynne-----James-----Marshall----Brennan----
------Ricketts----Robinson----Roselund--------
-----------------Guevara---------------------

Can Roselund play out there?

I think Robbo has to play in a little more of an advanced position. It has to be his responsiblity to keep GBS in check. We can't use Guevara to mark him, that's a waste.

It will be nice to see Guevara and Ruiz work together at home. Hopefully it will yield some results.

The only problem I have with this is that it leaves Johann Smith on the bench ...

That would be a tactical mistake in my eyes considering last game, he was basically elecrifiying for good chunks of the game, and between him and Ricketts, are MOM.

Here's what formation I see ::

Wynne .... James .... Marshall .... Brennan
...................... Robinson
............. Guevara ......... Rosenlund
Ricketts ................................... Jo. Smith
........................ Ruiz

Features ::

1. Robinson is responsible for marking GBS in our final 1/3

2. Robinson is also a pseudo-CB, playing very deep as cover when Brennan and Wynne go forward.

3. Guevara and Rosenlund are the linkers and the providers ... 2 options, first option, outlet to the wings with Jo. Smith or Ricketts who can then play in overlapping runs by Brennan or Wynne, or continued underlapping runs by Rosenlund and Guevara ... which they're both adept and doing. ... 2nd option, Rosenlund and Guevara play in more advanced positions supporting Ruiz centrally. This option adds defensive responsibility to the wingers Smith and Ricketts.

4. Either option from 3, Ruiz must not be isolated, he either must be supported by Smith and Ricketts in a 4-3-3, or by Guevara, pushing more forward than Rosenlund. If he's by himself through portions of the game ... its useless, and you may as well sit Rosenlund and play Barrett and Ruiz together. If you want to keep the ball on the deck ... play the system I proposed.

5. This full compliment of players provides us with the most fluid passing team that we have put on the field all season

Wooster_TFC
09-08-2008, 12:01 PM
The only problem I have with this is that it leaves Johann Smith on the bench ...

That would be a tactical mistake in my eyes considering last game, he was basically elecrifiying for good chunks of the game, and between him and Ricketts, are MOM.

Here's what formation I see ::

Wynne .... James .... Marshall .... Brennan
...................... Robinson
............. Guevara ......... Rosenlund
Ricketts ................................... Jo. Smith
........................ Ruiz

Features ::

1. Robinson is responsible for marking GBS in our final 1/3

2. Robinson is also a pseudo-CB, playing very deep as cover when Brennan and Wynne go forward.

3. Guevara and Rosenlund are the linkers and the providers ... 2 options, first option, outlet to the wings with Jo. Smith or Ricketts who can then play in overlapping runs by Brennan or Wynne, or continued underlapping runs by Rosenlund and Guevara ... which they're both adept and doing. ... 2nd option, Rosenlund and Guevara play in more advanced positions supporting Ruiz centrally. This option adds defensive responsibility to the wingers Smith and Ricketts.

4. Either option from 3, Ruiz must not be isolated, he either must be supported by Smith and Ricketts in a 4-3-3, or by Guevara, pushing more forward than Rosenlund. If he's by himself through portions of the game ... its useless, and you may as well sit Rosenlund and play Barrett and Ruiz together. If you want to keep the ball on the deck ... play the system I proposed.

5. This full compliment of players provides us with the most fluid passing team that we have put on the field all season

This looks like a good option, although I wonder if too much pressure would be put on Robbo in this case. Both Rosenlund and Harmse have been playing well over the last little while so I have to think it will be a 50/50 between the two as to who lines up beside Guevara. If we are more worried about GBS, then I think it will be Harmse. If we want more attacking options, Rosenlund.

Although I also have a hard time believe that one of Barrett and Ruiz will be on the bench. I think you might see something like this:

--------------Sutton-----------------
Wynne---James---Marshall----Brennan
---------Robinson--------------------
Ricketts-----------Guevara---Jo Smith
-------Barrett-------Ruiz-------------

jloome
09-08-2008, 03:44 PM
I would start Titus at the back with Marshall if he's available to us. And while I agree we shouldn't play a diamond (we actually never should as it creates a huge hole in the middle where we have been killed a few times this season) there's no way I'd choose James to try and shadow Schellotto - I would much prefer to see Harmse doing this - he's got a much better positional sense and reads the game better than James.

That's exactly why I WOULD choose james; positional play isn't really an issue when you're only real job is staying on a guy's hip all night. Hard to blow that assignment. Harmse, despite what people here (me, too, sometimes) think of him, is a more reliable box-to-box mid than James is a good centre half, so we might as well use James for something that would rely on his strength and athleticism more than his positional sense.

Just a thought.

Not sure putting Guevara on him makes sense, though, as he's supposed to be the linchpin provider to the guys upfront. Harmse would do okay at it.

You might be right, Luca. He did flop around like a fish last time. But we not only didn't win, he's been getting stronger and stronger all season. he had a goal and three assists the other night, and his diagonal runs were cutting New England to shred, which is why I think a marker outside our shape might work.

Shaughno
09-08-2008, 03:50 PM
That's exactly why I WOULD choose james; positional play isn't really an issue when you're only real job is staying on a guy's hip all night. Hard to blow that assignment. Harmse, despite what people here (me, too, sometimes) think of him, is a more reliable box-to-box mid than James is a good centre half, so we might as well use James for something that would rely on his strength and athleticism more than his positional sense.

Just a thought.

Not sure putting Guevara on him makes sense, though, as he's supposed to be the linchpin provider to the guys upfront. Harmse would do okay at it.

You might be right, Luca. He did flop around like a fish last time. But we not only didn't win, he's been getting stronger and stronger all season. he had a goal and three assists the other night, and his diagonal runs were cutting New England to shred, which is why I think a marker outside our shape might work.

Look at what Guevara has done the past few games for us. He's spent the majority of the second half... in our half. He's not making the same advancing runs, not even for Honduras. He took JDG out of the Canada game for long periods of time and I think if you have Robbo pick up SHITletto closer to our box and let Guevara dominate him in the midfield.

I do think Harmse would be a better option on marking SHITletto than James, Robbo or Roselund.

trane
09-08-2008, 04:06 PM
I think that we need to start our best 10. This is the one way I think we could, I am not sure how Barrett would do on the wing, but I like his work rate. When he cramps up you bring in Jo. Smith.

------------------------------------Dichio----------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------Ruiz--------------------------------------------------
Barrett--------------------------------------------------------------------------Ricketts

-----------------------------------Guevarra------------------------------------

------------------------------------Robbo---------------------------------
---------Attakora----------------------------------------------Wynne----
------------------------Brennan-------------Marshall-------- -------------

rocktml
09-08-2008, 04:09 PM
I think that we need to start our best 10. This is the one way I think we could, I am not sure how Barrett would do on the wing, but I like his work rate. When he cramps up you bring in Jo. Smith.

------------------------------------Dichio----------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------Ruiz--------------------------------------------------
Barrett--------------------------------------------------------------------------Ricketts

agreed....Dichio needs to play!

Shaughno
09-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Couple points about that formation, from my perspective. :p

Barrett, if not starting up front should be on the bench. Start Jo.Smith as it's his ACTUAL position.

I'm still not confidant of Brennan in the middle. He did well last year...among a SHIT defense. This year he was left exposed many times when he was used there. As much as I want to see Attakora out there, I'd rather have a stronger CB then give the kid a shot.

In fact, I wouldn't gripe if something similar was used...

-------------------------------------Ruiz-----------------------------------
-------------------Barrett/Dichio-------------------------------------------
Jo.Smith------------------------------------------------------------Ricketts
---------------------------Guevarra-----------------------------------------
---------Brennan------------------------Robbo-----------------Wynne----
----------------------Regan/James-------------Marshall--------------------

Reasoning: Ruiz will play off cutting runs along the defensive back line. I'd much rather have him up front with the workers behind distributing.

While I'm not sold on Regan, he has the experience in this league. James will be a good defender in time.. but he needs that experience. James also brings speed to our CB's which would be seriously lacking if it was Regan/Marshall.

trane
09-08-2008, 04:22 PM
I was not sold on Barrett on the wing, I was just thinking of how to put what I consider our best on. But I have not problem with Jo. Smith starting. The backline I just do not know were I stand on them as individual players. I agree on Attakora, I like him but not as a CB. Brennan I though did better in the midle but you may be right. I think that James will develop into a solid CB. My problem that all the CB have been too mistake prone. Marshall in my opinion has been the most solid, but still not mistake free. If there is one quality in a CB I like is simple solid play, as mistake free as possible. We just have not had it.

Shaughno
09-08-2008, 04:27 PM
I totally agree. My biggest worry for sure. Marshall has been the most solid, but IMO he's actually been far from solid in many games. Caught ball watching, not picking up his man, etc. Actually now that I think of it, something that may work better is using a sweeper instead of 4 across the back.. Marshall as the sweep.

---------------------------------Dichio------------------------------
-------------------Barrett--------------------Ruiz-------------------
Jo.Smith---------------------Guevara------------------------Ricketts
---------Brennan--------------Robbo--------------------Wynne------
------------------------------Marshall-------------------------------

That allows Marshall to worry less about man marking and more about controlling the Defense, something we've never really had...a General in the back. I originally thought Boyens would be perfect for that system last year actually.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Dont think we will ever see any of those defenders from last week play for TFC again (Regan included).

Ossington Mental Youth
09-08-2008, 04:28 PM

Yes but Brennan where Attakora is and James where Brennan is

trane
09-08-2008, 04:33 PM
I totally agree. My biggest worry for sure. Marshall has been the most solid, but IMO he's actually been far from solid in many games. Caught ball watching, not picking up his man, etc. Actually now that I think of it, something that may work better is using a sweeper instead of 4 across the back.. Marshall as the sweep.

That allows Marshall to worry less about man marking and more about controlling the Defense, something we've never really had...a General in the back. I originally thought Boyens would be perfect for that system last year actually.

Why not. We need to try something new, particulalry at the back, and I think this does put our best 10 on the pitch. ( I like Attakora, but I can not say that he is better then Jo. Smith both have to develop). I love the look of it is wide, give options in the attack, but it is solid defensively, and yes we need a general at the back. Marshall or Robbo are our two best choices, for my money.

Shaughno
09-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Yup, we are beyond weak especially late in the game, at the back. I think having Robbo as a DM/CB would benefit from all his assets. We would get a solid tackler/distributer coming out of the back, along with options for a very heavy counter attack when the option arises.

Something we've lacked aside from our 4-0 win, has been plentiful goals. I think with three strikers up front that gives us our best option to attack, along with keeping a solid and wide playing midfield. Barrett plays similar to Rooney and having him play sort of 'in the hole' in the middle will give him the ability to track back as well as attack. When you need subs late in the game, then you can rearrange as needed.

trane
09-08-2008, 04:52 PM
I realy hope that we see something new. I like the system that Carver is trying to use but it starts with four solid backs, and we just do not have them. Therefore, we need to shake things up. I would be very interested in trying a system like your out and see how it works out.

T_Mizz
09-08-2008, 06:49 PM
This is amazing, talking about not knowing which striker to sit, it's a luxury I can really get used to

T_Mizz
09-08-2008, 06:51 PM

Looks good but it doesn't look like Robbo will be fit enough to play so just move that DM back to CB and play James and that's a perfect 4-3-3

LucaGol
09-08-2008, 07:01 PM

This formation is suicide.

Im not even really sure where to begin. I mean this is not a video game ...

When you play a 4-3-3, the 3 midfielders should be more defensive minded ... who of Guevara, Ricketts, Johann Smith is going to do any defensive work.

You'll easily leak 4, 5 goals against Columbus playing this formation.

jloome
09-08-2008, 07:02 PM
agreed....Dichio needs to play!

Then we need to play a full 433, because Barrett has never been a wide player. Why not play with Barrett and Ruiz on either side of Dichio, then a midfield (if Robbo's back in time, which is unlikely) of Guevara--Robbo--Ricketts or Guevara-- Harmse--Ricketts, and stick Harmse on Schellotto?

LucaGol
09-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Then we need to play a full 433, because Barrett has never been a wide player. Why not play with Barrett and Ruiz on either side of Dichio, then a midfield (if Robbo's back in time, which is unlikely) of Guevara--Robbo--Ricketts or Guevara-- Harmse--Ricketts, and stick Harmse on Schellotto?

If we play a 4-3-3, Harmse has to play ... which I don't like

I know many other people dont like him either, but they don't like him going forward, however he does have the defensive mind to clog up the gaps in the midfield and make the tough tackles.

It's a numbers game right now, which is weird to say this week, especially after how short-handed we were last week.

If Dichio is going to start, which I think he should, (after posting earlier a formation with Ruiz going alone) ...something like this may work,

Wynne ..... James ...... Marshall ........ Brennan
............. Robinson ...... Harmse
...................... Guevara
Ricketts
...................................... Ruiz
.................. Dichio

I mean, I honestly hate this formation, for 2 reasons .... #1 Harmse and Robinson are below average passers of the football (but they're the only real DMs we have, so they must play) ... #2 Johann Smith is on the bench yet again ... Rosenlund doesn't find space in this set-up.

So 2 of our hottest 3 players (the other being Ricketts) are being left out.

Lastly, it leaves Barrett out, which I also don't like. But Dichio has to start as I said before, we just play differently when he's on the pitch ... he always makes his presence felt

Axeman
09-09-2008, 01:14 AM
I'm not sold on Ibby I've yet to see him do anything(I know he's only 17), and Jo. Smith looked alot worse than Brennan at Left wing, but who else we gonna use?
If Jo. Smith does start(presumeably) at Left wing I'd like to see Brennan still make attacking runs. I'd love to have Dunivant in this situation at WB and Brennan at LW or vise versa but Jo's still new to the team so hopefully he'll start to get better. Dichio if healthy should start.

jloome
09-09-2008, 05:23 PM
I think you start a kid like Smith and leave him on until he's ineffective; he has such speed and can get around guys. Last week, the early pressure from the combo of him, Ricketts and Barrett was substantially a problem for Chivas, especially with Rosenlund running up the middle as well.

ricciboy
09-09-2008, 10:29 PM

Wynne---------James--------Marshall----------Brennan

----------------------Robbo---------------------------
Ricketts---------------------------------------Jo.Smith
----------------------Guevara-------------------------

---------------Barrett--------Ruiz----------------------

i like this one