PDA

View Full Version : Tim Regan

Nuvinho
09-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Any reason why he retired? Is he that bad, that he can't play anymore in MLS?

He did a fairly decent job yesterday (this is compared to our other defenders).

poppamidnight
09-07-2008, 09:09 AM
No way are u kidding me???

This guy was soo slow, and no ability in the air...

I counted at least 5 times where he never pushed up (moving our back-line),
Titus was yelling at him pretty good (Titus = awesome backliner.....)

IMO Regan was horrible...

I now understand why he cant stick in the MLS

Diaz + Him sucked,

Thing is diaz has upside: youth, Air ability, and speed

.... I didnt see anything "upsidish" in regans game....
His heights good, but he cant use it (whenever he headed it, it went either: up in the air or out of bounds....=to NOBODY)

LucaGol
09-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Tbh, I never really noticed him until we were pouring it on in the last 10 minutes and on every breakout he was throwing darts from deep right in our half....to Johann Smith's foot....way down on the left flank.

I dunno about defense, but Regan definitely has an accurate long pass.

Nuvinho
09-07-2008, 09:11 AM
you saw upside in Diaz.....you made an assessment on his ability after one game? or do you watch whitecap games? If you made that assessment on one game....damn.....maybe you should be a scout, since you know more than everyone here it seems.

Nuvinho
09-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Tbh, I never really noticed him until we were pouring it on in the last 10 minutes and on every breakout he was throwing darts from deep right in our half....to Johann Smith's foot....way down on the left flank.

I dunno about defense, but Regan definitely has an accurate long pass.

Yeah, his long pass was accurate, which is something that has been lacking in the past with our defenders.

jabbronies
09-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Any reason why he retired? Is he that bad, that he can't play anymore in MLS?

He did a fairly decent job yesterday (this is compared to our other defenders).

He totally did a decent job last night - he did something most Toronto D don't know how to do - jockey an attacking player until reinforcements get back!!!

LucaGol
09-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Yeah, his long pass was accurate, which is something that has been lacking in the past with our defenders.

Sure beats the hell out of Marco Velez or Tyrone Marshall punting the ball 45 yards to no one.

Come to think of it...Marvell Wynne is a pretty poor long passer of the ball.....

Come to think of it....our whole team is crap at this very important part of football (save Amado Guevara).

poppamidnight
09-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Sure beats the hell out of Marco Velez or Tyrone Marshall punting the ball 45 yards to no one.

Come to think of it...Marvell Wynne is a pretty poor long passer of the ball.....

Come to think of it....our whole team is crap at this very important part of football (save Amado Guevara).

Tyronne never boots it up...

He's central D,
Our "general" if u will....

He's the one swinging it....
...sometime Velez breaks the swing by booting it....

As for Regan, I didnt notice his outlets, but u guys could be right,

So heres the comparison:

Regan: -Outlet Passes

Diaz K: -Air
-Speed
-Age (youth)

Thats 3-1,
where i come from it's a win

brad
09-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Pretty sure Reagan retired because of persistent injury problems, not because of ability.

Nuvinho
09-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Pretty sure Reagan retired because of persistent injury problems, not because of ability.

Thanks.......I figured as much. I mean if he is healthy now, he won't be a bad addition to our backline.

I know he isn't YOUNG, HAS SPEED, or GOOD IN THE AIR like Kambere....but at least he ISN'T AS SHITE as Kambere.....but poppa has scouted Kambere for years, and thinks he is the next John Terry.

Roogsy
09-07-2008, 09:34 AM

Diaz + Him sucked,

His heights good, but he cant use it (whenever he headed it, it went either: up in the air or out of bounds....=to NOBODY)

Interesting review of the players...you're 10x harder on them than Carver was and yet you were first one lined up to lynch Carver for his post-game interview?

Man...this forum drives me nuts.

zeelaw
09-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Regan had incredible distribution

Maple Leaf Red
09-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Regan had incredible distribution
No kidding. A couple of my buddies knew he was a scout that had been pressed into action and all they could ask me was why "Scout" wasn't playing regularly because he had a very good game.

rocker
09-07-2008, 10:53 AM
i liked Regan. Although Regan should have stopped that first goal. he let that guy shoot from pretty close in. he was confident back there and distributed well.

Titus was good, but not "awesome" as someone said above. he could have done better on the first goal, and that tackle on the second was weak. He seems to have a good sense of things, but sometimes he made dumb decisions (what about that ball he tried to shield out of play like 6 yards from the end line, and then gave up a corner). I think over time he'd probably be exposed.

Kambere I was not impressed with. He's fast but small... couldn't pass worth a shit (counted at least three bad passes from him early on). He must not have heard the "man on" call that led to him giving away the ball and leading to the second goal. He tries hard but is the talent there? I mean, he turns 23 next month, so the upside isn't as high as you might think.

Nonetheless, all my observations are based on 1 single game playing against a team without some of its better players. Of the three, I'd take a chance on Regan (not too old at 27 like Titus, has experience, height, more ability than Kambere and Titus), but obviously he wants to get into a management career.

arbogast
09-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Regan played very well. It was refreshing to see a defender who can distribute the ball and pressure and attacker. He should be offered a contract. Even if He's a bench player, he showed he can come in and do a job.

colman1860
09-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Guys I understand it would be a really nice story if he played well so we're all pretending that he did very nicely by playing some accurate longballs. He got turned INSIDE OUT before Chivas' first goal. He got 100% schooled. That goal was his fault, and his fault only. I understand that people arent happy with Velez or Marshall, but to even suggest that this guy would be an upgrade is a joke.

ben_vw
09-07-2008, 12:12 PM
I can see why Regan is our scout - he's got a good head on his shoulders. He generally made the right decision or attempted to.

rocker
09-07-2008, 12:17 PM
but to even suggest that this guy would be an upgrade is a joke.

not that I or anyone else suggested in this thread Regan would be an "upgrade," but if anyone did, I wouldn't say it was a "joke." it's that kind of language on these boards that I dislike.

But I wouldn't say Velez is an upgrade on Regan ;)

jloome
09-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Guys I understand it would be a really nice story if he played well so we're all pretending that he did very nicely by playing some accurate longballs. He got turned INSIDE OUT before Chivas' first goal. He got 100% schooled. That goal was his fault, and his fault only. I understand that people arent happy with Velez or Marshall, but to even suggest that this guy would be an upgrade is a joke.

Go back and watch the replay, becuase that's fucking fiction. Total fucking fiction.

Regan was playing the central position, his player received the ball inside his right shoulder on a good through ball, cut laterally across the box and when he saw there was an obvious screen because Kambere was standing eight yards deep, all alone in the box, he used Kambere as a screen to take a shot that Edwards didn't even see.

In fact, the defender directly in front of Kambere (the real cause of the goal) who should've closed him down is Marco Velez, not Tim Regan. Given that one is Puerto Rican with black hair and the other is whiter than me and with fair hair, I'm not sure how anyone makes that mistake exactly. But that through ball would've been meaningless, as Titus, Velez and Kambere were all between the goal and the shooter, if Kambere hadn't screened Edwards.

Regan DID get caught a little high up the field on the second goal, but again, it wouldn't have mattered had Kambere been anywhere near his position instead of cheating up the flank, a basic positioning error. In fact, the amazing part was that Rick Titus, at 39, managed to not only figure out what had happened before it broke down but almost made it right across the box from his left side to the right to stop the shot.

Derko
09-07-2008, 12:30 PM

Diaz + Him sucked,

I thought Regan's direct headers to his teamates was actually quite accurate and spot on.

Just my observations

zeelaw
09-07-2008, 01:49 PM
It's safe to say he was a great option for the game out of all the scouts available.

lol

RPB_Brantford_08
09-07-2008, 04:04 PM

Diaz + Him sucked,

He could take Brennans place and make brennan Scout..:eek:

arbogast
09-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Go back and watch the replay, becuase that's fucking fiction. Total fucking fiction.

Regan was playing the central position, his player received the ball inside his right shoulder on a good through ball, cut laterally across the box and when he saw there was an obvious screen because Kambere was standing eight yards deep, all alone in the box, he used Kambere as a screen to take a shot that Edwards didn't even see.

In fact, the defender directly in front of Kambere (the real cause of the goal) who should've closed him down is Marco Velez, not Tim Regan. Given that one is Puerto Rican with black hair and the other is whiter than me and with fair hair, I'm not sure how anyone makes that mistake exactly. But that through ball would've been meaningless, as Titus, Velez and Kambere were all between the goal and the shooter, if Kambere hadn't screened Edwards.

Regan DID get caught a little high up the field on the second goal, but again, it wouldn't have mattered had Kambere been anywhere near his position instead of cheating up the flank, a basic positioning error. In fact, the amazing part was that Rick Titus, at 39, managed to not only figure out what had happened before it broke down but almost made it right across the box from his left side to the right to stop the shot.

Dude, you're dead on. It was Velez' fault the whole way.

Cobblers
09-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Regan was decent today. He's probably not starter material but would be decent cover as a centre back. He was a step or two slower than I'm sure he's capable of because he hasn't played at this level lately. I thought his passing vision and ability to read the play were better than any of our current backs are capable of. Velez was horrendous again and to hit out like he did while being captain was a disgrace. The choice to make him captain over Dichio was a serious error.

Diaz was terrible and really didn't have an upside in my opinion. He's a crappier clone of James. They play the same way and have the same faults...

Titus was decent and read the game pretty well. Being 39 he's not a long-term solution but would be a good stop-gap for the rest of this season to replace Velez, who I hope never dons a TFC strip again.

As a general comment, where do defenders these days learn to defend??? Has no one ever taught them how to jockey?? Why do they always dive in so quickly?? And why has no one taught them to force the player onto their weaker foot??

BuSaPuNk
09-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Yeah I think Regan did a great job especially at his long balls up field they were right on the money. Also did a great job jockying in the back. Would be a great addition until we can find a soild defender in the offseason.

poppamidnight
09-08-2008, 08:09 AM
I thought Regan's direct headers to his teamates was actually quite accurate and spot on.

Just my observations

So your definition of "direct header to teammates" is the ball going straight up 20-30 feet in the air, where he has to go in for a second header????

.......I gotta get me one of your dictionaries.... they sound fun

CretanBull
09-08-2008, 08:15 AM

^ Somebody who know's what he's talking about.

nimamalek
09-08-2008, 09:00 AM

Diaz + Him sucked,

you're taking drugs again right? Titus was piss poor, got beat down the side a bunch of times, put most of the tight offside calls on and had piss poor passing, Regan on the other hand, was in position, distributed the ball well and looked like our best player on the field, not to mention the great tackle in the box when he was 1vs1 late in the game

professor
09-09-2008, 12:47 AM
We're in Montreal, in our hotel room and we're all crowded around a laptop

and I don't recall who it was, but we all heard the Tim Regan bio,

and don't we look out the window - and the pigs aren't just flyin, they're soarin.....

Head Scout!!!!! TFC has a scout!!!!! Is he the only scout????

nfitz
09-09-2008, 04:06 AM
Head Scout!!!!! TFC has a scout!!!!! Is he the only scout????Look like he headed well enough in the match to get the title to me.:)

Boschmeister
09-09-2008, 12:43 PM
As a general comment, where do defenders these days learn to defend??? Has no one ever taught them how to jockey?? Why do they always dive in so quickly?? And why has no one taught them to force the player onto their weaker foot??

Great comment!

Derko
09-09-2008, 01:31 PM
So your definition of "direct header to teammates" is the ball going straight up 20-30 feet in the air, where he has to go in for a second header????

.......I gotta get me one of your dictionaries.... they sound fun

I was going to get pissed and write something that would be out of character of my rational thinking, but i won't.

Direct Header to teammate headed down.

Every Footballer in history worldwide is guilty of : Your definition...."So your definition of "direct header to teammates" is the ball going straight up 20-30 feet in the air, where he has to go in for a second header????

Don't be condescending, be objective in your comments!!

poppamidnight
09-10-2008, 09:06 AM
I was going to get pissed and write something that would be out of character of my rational thinking, but i won't.

Direct Header to teammate headed down.

Every Footballer in history worldwide is guilty of : Your definition...."So your definition of "direct header to teammates" is the ball going straight up 20-30 feet in the air, where he has to go in for a second header????

Don't be condescending, be objective in your comments!!

Ohh im completely objective here,

I never said every footballer isn't guilty of doing it,

JUST THAT A NORMALL FOTBALLER DOESNT DO IT EVERYTIME HE GETS HIS HEAD ON IT....

....Regan did...

Christ, what good is that???

Whats more his size and awkwardness caused a couple of fouls on him when he went in to try and clean up the mess on his screwed up headers (cuz by the time his initial header was 30 ft in the air, the opposing player was able to maneuver himself into regans former position)

...like u said, be objective, take your imperical observations like i just did, and they act as a proof. (thats still the norm in the scientific + philosophical realms correct?)

Derko
09-10-2008, 03:57 PM
You are correct, just my observation.
Cheers