PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Johnston blog - Some reciprocity, please

denime
09-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Some reciprocity, please

John Carver acknowledged the 'In Carver We Trust' banner which was unfurled to span the gap between the southeast supporters' section and the east side stands at BMO Field. But in reality, the English coach cannot be blamed if he was thinking more about folding up that banner into a personal paper airplane and getting the hell out of Toronto.

On Saturday against Chivas USA even the TFC media guide was useless. The rag-tag starting 11 for the home team contained the names of two players even the most-informed of supporter could not pick out of a line up and one player who wasn't even paid to be out there because it would violate his amateur status and disqualify him from participating in future men's league games.

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/09/06/johnston_tfc_reciprocity/)

Shakes McQueen
09-07-2008, 07:35 AM
Carver's comments about Velez were spot on. What an idiot - Esky's elbow gave our patchwork squad the chance it needed to pull points out of this match, and Velez had to be a hothead and get himself sent off.

While he is wearing the bloody captains armband FOR THE FIRST TIME. What was he thinking?

Totally selfish actions, given the circumstances. He deserves any fine he gets. Sounds like he might be on his way out of town now too, if Carver's comments are any indication.

- Scott

Eastend
09-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Velez did 'F' up but I am not convinced that Esky would of gotten a card from this ref.....not a red anyway....it's just not how this game was going in my opinion.

kshep
09-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Velez did 'F' up but I am not convinced that Esky would of gotten a card from this ref.....not a red anyway....it's just not how this game was going in my opinion.

If you watch the replay again, the ref gives Esky the first red then the red to Velez. If poor Marco refrains lashing out were up a man..

pepher
09-07-2008, 10:02 AM
I don't know that Esky would have been given a Red had Velez not retaliated. sounds stupid i know... guess we'll never know...

Oldtimer
09-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Carver really liked Velez, and probably thought he could help him take his game up a notch or two. I doubt that Carver likes him as much after that stupidity costing us the match, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a starring role... on the bench.

SLBuu
09-08-2008, 01:30 PM
If you watch the replay again, the ref gives Esky the first red then the red to Velez. If poor Marco refrains lashing out were up a man..

if you look at the replay, you can clearly see that the ref only reacts to the foul when Velez lashes out.

im not convinced one bit that esky would have gotten the red or yellow for that matter.

well........ maybe if velez hit the dirt and clutched his face, then we could have seen a card. Certainly not a red, but we all know how we all feel about exagerating a call. Right?

TFCREDNWHITE
09-08-2008, 02:34 PM
FiFa International Dates for 2009

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/calendar&live/51/52/61/internationalmc-fifa-dates-2008-2014-updatemay2008-en.pdf (http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/calendar&live/51/52/61/internationalmc-fifa-dates-2008-2014-updatemay2008-en.pdf)

MLS Regular season = 28/29 weeks

Number of Regular Season games to be played: 30 15 = home and 15 = away

One possible solution of being aware and respectful of FiFa international dates would be
To play 2 games a week for only 8 weeks of the 28 week schedule. I believe that having only 28% of your schedule over-loaded is reasonable. You could also take the 8 weeks in which your playing 2 games a week and spread it out so it happens around once a month or you can look at it like this, you play 2 games in a single week every 4 weeks approx…

I think by doing this it immediately satisfies the international commitments…then after that is satisfied, you can then start incorporating ALL-STAR games, Concacaf Champions League and so on…But I think that this logic should form the foundation of the schedule..

I would love to hear your thoughts and possible solutions

jabbronies
09-08-2008, 02:38 PM
I think by doing this it immediately satisfies the international commitments…then after that is satisfied, you can then start incorporating ALL-STAR games, Concacaf Champions League and so on…But I think that this logic should form the foundation of the schedule..

I say kill the All Star game and International Friendlies. It'll free up the schedule for more important games.

TFCREDNWHITE
09-08-2008, 03:04 PM
I say kill the All Star game and International Friendlies. It'll free up the schedule for more important games.

You can't just say forget about it...Those things create money for the league and for National teams...So you would have to think of a creative way to incorporate them......