PDA

View Full Version : Designated Player: What do we need most?

Shakes McQueen
09-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to ask the community - after close to a full second season of watching the club play, and now that our mid-season transfers are over, what position do you think our DP slot would be best used on for next season?

Personally, I think we could use a talented attacking midfielder - we have a couple of promising strikers signed now (Ibbe, Barrett), and another one possibly on the way through the draft (O'Brien). Although we have trouble putting the ball in the net, we seem to have a brighter future in that position.

I think what we DO need, is someone who can set up good runs for the aforementioned strikers, and who also has the ability to occasionally test MLS keepers from outside the box.

A world-class attacking midfielder could do wonders for our scoring, and make our runs far less predictable.

So what do you think? I considered suggesting a Center Back, or a Defensive Midfielder, but given our woeful lack of offensive creativity, and the generally offensive nature of MLS, it would seem to be a waste of the slot.

Also, please no club bashing, or smug comments about the club needing help. Let's keep this positive.

- Scott

andyc
09-06-2008, 11:18 PM
D-RO. End of.

denime
09-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Forget about this season,who cares anymore honestly,no relegation no play-offs,just enjoy the rest of 2nd season with your friends.
We should start this thread again in 3-4 months,now all we need is love ;)

Shakes McQueen
09-06-2008, 11:21 PM
D-RO. End of.

I would be disappointed if we used our DP slot on DeRo. I'd like DeRo with TFC, but under the right circumstances - not just blindly wasting our DP slot on an MLS player who, while really good, is not worth a $500k salary cap hit every year, and giving up the ability to bring in a multi-million dollar, top-flight player.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
09-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Forget about this season,who cares anymore honestly,no relegation no play-offs,just enjoy the rest of 2nd season with your friends.
We should start this thread again in 3-4 months,now all we need is love ;)

This thread was about next season...

EDIT: Re-read my original post, and I was sort of ambiguous about the fact that I was talking about next season. Edited the post.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
09-07-2008, 12:06 AM
So, no one has any input on this topic, or is arguing about Carver more palatable right now? haha

- Scott

v00d00daddy
09-07-2008, 12:35 AM
I would be disappointed if we used our DP slot on DeRo. I'd like DeRo with TFC, but under the right circumstances - not just blindly wasting our DP slot on an MLS player who, while really good, is not worth a $500k salary cap hit every year, and giving up the ability to bring in a multi-million dollar, top-flight player.

- Scott

I don't get this. Either he is a DP and doesn't count against the cap...or...he is NOT a DP and we can't pay him more than around 350k next year. There would never be a 500k salary cap hit.

BTW..if we could get DeRo for the max under the cap, it would be well worth it.

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-07-2008, 12:37 AM
So, no one has any input on this topic, or is arguing about Carver more palatable right now? haha

- Scott

It’s a lot more topical.

No the DP front - forward / striker. You need four quality players at the position. Barret missed several chances today. Ibee's far from a sure thing. No guarantee we will draft White. We can’t score goals. One assumes a DP striker would be able to score goals. I don’t really see how anyone can advocate for any other position.

tlear
09-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Great central defender, we have Guevara for the next season unless we get rid off him I don't think we should go with a purely offensive mf. Someone who is vocal and can keep our back line organized. Our offense is weak but our defense lately is a disaster.

Another option is a central midfielder, maybe we can get Vieira in a couple years..

Shakes McQueen
09-07-2008, 12:44 AM
I don't get this. Either he is a DP and doesn't count against the cap...or...he is NOT a DP and we can't pay him more than around 350k next year. There would never be a 500k salary cap hit.

BTW..if we could get DeRo for the max under the cap, it would be well worth it.

DP's still count for a max of $400k (not $500k, my bad) against the cap, with the rest being charged directly to the club owner.

So while we are paying that much, it'd be more worthwhile to get a player worth significantly more than the $400k salary cap hit. DeRo is not that player.

I want to sign DeRo, but to a regular MLS contract. I don't want us to use our DP slot on him.

- Scott

v00d00daddy
09-07-2008, 12:47 AM
DP's still count for a max of $400k (not $500k, my bad) against the cap, with the rest being charged directly to the club owner.

So while we are paying that much, it'd be more worthwhile to get a player worth significantly more than the $400k salary cap hit. DeRo is not that player.

I want to sign DeRo, but to a regular MLS contract. I don't want us to use our DP slot on him.

- Scott

Agreed. I don't think I would want them to use the DP spot on DeRo.

A DP spot has to be used on an attacking player in my opinion. I don't care if it's in the midfield or up front. I just don't see the point in paying a ton of money for a defender. We need a guy who can control the game so it should probably be a midfielder.

Shakes McQueen
09-07-2008, 12:52 AM
Agreed. I don't think I would want them to use the DP spot on DeRo.

A DP spot has to be used on an attacking player in my opinion. I don't care if it's in the midfield or up front. I just don't see the point in paying a ton of money for a defender. We need a guy who can control the game so it should probably be a midfielder.

I agree. I just think our future prospects at striker are looking better than they are at midfield.

Plus, a midfielder with good distribution skills can make average strikers look better than they are (i.e. Beckham).

- Scott

PaulinosTFC
09-07-2008, 01:11 AM
A good holding midfielder that makes SMART decisions moving the ball up the pitch (A Fabregas/Senna type central midfielder).

jloome
09-07-2008, 01:23 AM
IT has to be a striker. We need a consistent 1-in-2 goal scorer who'll create chances every game with pure skill. IT's the missing offensive element, as brutally evidenced by the fact that Tyler Rosenlund, who is a pretty skilled player with the ball at his feet, made us much more dangerous just by making direct back post runs in both this game and the Colorado win.

A defender would be a waste, as we have to rebuild the entire backline anyway. We're much better off spending whatever salary cap money is available from other player movements in this area and getting our extra offense from a striker.

Figure this: if we had a rebuilt backline next year, Smith and Ricketts on the wings, guevara quarterbacking and robbo holding, but put a 15 goal guy next to barrett?

Assume also that the league follows through on Gaizidis's suggestion that they'll develop postponement rules, so we're not always shorthanded. Now, we have a good young offensive bloomer in Rosenlund to come in and take Robbo's spot if we're not creating enough or need a late goal. We have Dichio to come in for Barrett if we're getting much better box penetration from the wings.

Shakes McQueen
09-07-2008, 01:33 AM
@jloome

While I agree overall with your assessment, one of our biggest problems has been getting the ball to our strikers, in a situation where they can actually do something with it.

You disagree that an attacking midfielder would help solve this problem, as well as providing some much needed ranged goals?

I do agree that our strikers have still been a little underwhelming. All of the blown breakaways are heart-attack inducing.

- Scott

Richard D
09-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Figo or Pauletta... coax them out of retirement...

Oblio2
09-07-2008, 11:05 AM
We need a top quality, no nonsence, fuck-right-off, studs in your face, kick the shit outta, ball clearing, arse kicking, evil mother-fucking defender!

Any going spare?

Oblio2
09-07-2008, 11:06 AM
A good holding midfielder that makes SMART decisions moving the ball up the pitch (A Fabregas/Senna type central midfielder).

Fabregas is NOT a holding midfielder. He's attacking.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Good question, im all honesty it couldnt hurt to have a DP quality player anywhere.
Most likely we'd see them in an attacking/offensive position, as unpopular as it is it would be smart to have them in defense considering our lack of talent/luck there

Ossington Mental Youth
09-07-2008, 11:13 AM
A holding/defensive mid would be a brilliant signing

LucaGol
09-07-2008, 11:14 AM
If we could sign Shalrie Joseph's clone ... move Robbo to the back line ... I would be ecstatic.

kshep
09-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I have to say a DP central defender is in order.. We only need to score one or two goals a match to win, and I believe we have the talent up front for that. We concede far to many goals though, and while a few goals this year can be chalked up to Sutton it's the backline that more often then not is the reason for goals conceded not the keeper.

While on the topic of keepers, I'd like to see us bring Monsalve onto the team as the second keeper than continue on with Edwards as the second keeper. Yes, I'd rather see a young rather inexperienced Canadian keeper(who showed last year against Villa, that he does have a future.) than using an international spot on a US keeper who in my opinion will always be a back up and has never not looked shaky in goal.

London
09-07-2008, 12:52 PM
we need a poacher, the mls has the worst defence going and we need someone that can change the game in an instant!!
( you all hate him but we need a pippo inzaghi type)

jloome
09-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I have to say a DP central defender is in order.. We only need to score one or two goals a match to win, and I believe we have the talent up front for that. We concede far to many goals though, and while a few goals this year can be chalked up to Sutton it's the backline that more often then not is the reason for goals conceded not the keeper.

While on the topic of keepers, I'd like to see us bring Monsalve onto the team as the second keeper than continue on with Edwards as the second keeper. Yes, I'd rather see a young rather inexperienced Canadian keeper(who showed last year against Villa, that he does have a future.) than using an international spot on a US keeper who in my opinion will always be a back up and has never not looked shaky in goal.

Good point on Monsalve. I'm also extremely unconvinced on Edwards, and Monsalve looked fucking brilliant for his age and experience against Villa. He's a couple of years younger, at least, is Canadian and is in a better position to learn from time with the first team in training.

Yeoman
09-07-2008, 01:41 PM
can our DP be grass? :D
central defender like said.
that has truly been our disaster. and one that can last the 90!

SLBuu
09-07-2008, 02:25 PM
judging from yesterdays game..... and a lot of others......

we need someone who can put the ball in the back of the net, our forwards get the opportunities but cant finish.

could have been a completely different game if we went up 3-0 like we should have.

OneLoveOneEric
09-07-2008, 02:29 PM
I don't see any way MLSE would sign anything other than an AM/Striker as a DP. If for nothing more, they're the marketable players.
And I agree with OP that DeRo is not worth the DP slot.
I high quality striker or creative attacking midfielder would do wonders for us. Even successful teams in this league have shitty defense, so why can't we?

Oldtimer
09-07-2008, 05:00 PM
We need a stronger backline, no doubt about it, but you don't use your DP slot for that.

(1) Get a high-end defender but under the cap to solidify our backline. Dump Velez.
(2) Get a goal scoring DP. Doesn't matter if he is an AM or a striker (though AM would work better with our current squad), just that he scores a lot of goals. Let's be ambitious, Angel has been great, but let's go even higher. The TFC division of MLSE has the funds to get a decent DP and still turn a profit.
(3) To enable #2 properly, get real grass in the stadium. Not because grass is a million times better, but better players perceive it to be so. That has to be ahead of all other priorities.

PaulinosTFC
09-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Fabregas is NOT a holding midfielder. He's attacking.

Actually, he's more central than attacking (Spain in Euro 08')...that's the kinda player we need.

jloome
09-08-2008, 06:58 AM
@jloome

While I agree overall with your assessment, one of our biggest problems has been getting the ball to our strikers, in a situation where they can actually do something with it.

You disagree that an attacking midfielder would help solve this problem, as well as providing some much needed ranged goals?

I do agree that our strikers have still been a little underwhelming. All of the blown breakaways are heart-attack inducing.

- Scott

Hasn't worked so well with Guevara, but that might be more the inconsistency of the lineup and his absences, more than anything. During the hot streak, when he was around consistently, we were the hardest team to beat in the league. I've said before that I see a lack of gel between him and Robinson, very little positional support for each other, and quite a bit of bickering (which might not be bickering, it might just be loud gesticulation due to the language issue.) It's tough; I might be wrong, because people always challenge the contention that he doesn't track back, but our central midfield always seems disparate, more in tune with a wide diamond, which is really best suited to wingplay and makes a team a bit one-dimensional. I'd rather see two midfielders who can go both ways, so maybe a really good two-way midfielder, with major attacking skills but a physical presence as well, would be a good idea. I just think that the nature of MLS defences -- generally weak and domestically stacked -- makes a goal scorer particularly effective. Look at Huckerby (christ, it still hurts); when I suggested he was effective enough to be a DP, people here laughed it off. And now he has four goals and three assists in six games. He's the kind of player we need, whether it's as a mid or striker: someone who can run around a defense, chip a pass over it, bury one in the corner. A straight-up skill player with merciless intent. Hell, if Didier Drogba continues to be unwanted for his lockerroom cancer attitude, give him $10 M a year to come here. He'd score 40 in this league.(Yeah, I know, both repugnant and a wonderful dream all at the same time.) But that would be ideal: a prototypical big forward with speed and technique.

jloome
09-08-2008, 07:00 AM
Weird, board won't accept paragraphs from me right now. Hmmmm.....

Axeman
09-09-2008, 01:05 AM

- Scott

Agreed, I like DeRo but to me is not what we need most I think Shakes is right saying we need a world class DC which we need badly, on top of that I think our second signing should be a AM(or)F with loads of speed which to me would open up so many avenues for others. Speed is something we lack and an explosive speedster would keep the defence of the other team occupied while allowing other teammates oppertunities.

King Tut
09-09-2008, 03:57 AM
we need a poacher, the mls has the worst defence going and we need someone that can change the game in an instant!!
( you all hate him but we need a pippo inzaghi type)

I'd love to have Inzaghi on board. That guy would score 50 goals in this bush league.

We definitely need to use our DP slot on a striker and a big name striker too.

ua-kozak_TFC
09-09-2008, 10:38 PM
can we buy HEART as our DP? or BALLS that's an other place where we need reinforcement? How much would it cost?

TFC07
09-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Use a DP on striker.

Sure our backline is shit, but one player isn't going to solve our backline issues though. TFC still need a quality striker since our current strikers are average at best. Our midfield (when healthy and have played together for while) is pretty good. We saw some of that beginning of the season. But we still need to get one more creative mid though (like DeRo type of mid or poorer version of him at least...lol).

TFC07
09-09-2008, 10:53 PM
can we buy HEART as our DP? or BALLS that's an other place where we need reinforcement? How much would it cost?

Nevermind, I agree with this post.

poppamidnight
09-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Use a DP on striker.

Sure our backline is shit, but one player isn't going to solve our backline issues though. TFC still need a quality striker since our current strikers are average at best. Our midfield (when healthy and have played together for while) is pretty good. We saw some of that beginning of the season. But we still need to get one more creative mid though (like DeRo type of mid or poorer version of him at least...lol).

I completely agree here....

we have AN EXCESS of "Second-tier" strikers: (should be only 1 no?)
-Barret
-Ruiz

then some "third-tier" strikers: (team should have at least 2....these being bench [substitute's] players)
-Dichio
-Ibbe
-Ja. Smith

....we lack that consistant ability to score, so IMO, DP best used as striker

On a sidenote, if we did bring in another striker as DP next year, I would really like to see what Ibbe would look like in a mid-position