PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Rosenlund ::: Starter or Regular Sub?

jabbronies
09-06-2008, 07:31 PM
So after watching him tonight, and watching him throughout the season, I have to wonder; Is this guy a regular starter or should we continue to bring him off the bench, just on more of a regular basis or was he just lucky tonight?

One of the things I loved about him tonight, and in the past, was that he moved the ball high in the midfield quiet well. He brought it deep into the attacking zone and actually did good things with the ball - either took a shot or passed it off to OUR players.

What do you guys think.

colman1860
09-06-2008, 07:52 PM
So after watching him tonight, and watching him throughout the season, I have to wonder; Is this guy a regular starter or should we continue to bring him off the bench, just on more of a regular basis or was he just lucky tonight?

One of the things I loved about him tonight, and in the past, was that he moved the ball high in the midfield quiet well. He brought it deep into the attacking zone and actually did good things with the ball - either took a shot or passed it off to OUR players.

What do you guys think.

Apart from the goal, I wasnt too impressed with Rosenlund. Had a breakaway and shot weakly from 20 metres out. Got the ball on the six yard box and gave it back to the defender. Also, his goal didnt require eons of skill. Bench imo.

Roogsy
09-06-2008, 07:58 PM
A capable sub. But his finish in the box was poor. The goal was nice, but then several more opportunities showed his deficiencies.

I would like to see him get more time. But not as a starter.

giambac
09-06-2008, 08:09 PM

What do you guys think.

On just about any other team in the league I would say a sub.

on this team a definite starter.

jloome
09-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Fuck, he was one of the best players on the pitch by a mile. He basically created four good chances by good running off the ball, and his second goal should've counted, as he shouldered the Chivas player off the ball.

The same was true in the Colorado game; as soon as he came in, TFC had an offense.

SLBuu
09-06-2008, 08:46 PM
im not convinced.......

I seem to remember his fuck ups more than i remember his good moments

BigLou
09-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Good work rate. That's it.

LucaGol
09-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Apart from the goal, I wasnt too impressed with Rosenlund. Had a breakaway and shot weakly from 20 metres out. Got the ball on the six yard box and gave it back to the defender. Also, his goal didnt require eons of skill. Bench imo.

Finding space doesn't require skill?.....

Maple Leaf Red
09-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Fuck, he was one of the best players on the pitch by a mile. He basically created four good chances by good running off the ball, and his second goal should've counted, as he shouldered the Chivas player off the ball.

The same was true in the Colorado game; as soon as he came in, TFC had an offense.
I have to agree. He definitely needs more polish but overall I was impressed today. He's a sub when we have our full squad but by the end of next year (maybe even the beginning) I'd expect him to be starting.

Keyman
09-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Rosenlund was one of the best players on the pitch today. You can see that he is a very smart player, he made numerous runs that split the Chivas backline today. He had an eye for goal all game, and was presented multiple chances to score. I thought he did well on two of his three chances, he could have controlled that one chance more, but otherwise he was solid and he acts as good insurance for Guevara.

BigLou
09-06-2008, 09:18 PM
In fairness his positives come down to his work rate IMO. On the other side I can't complain about a player that tries hard.Imagine what we would be saying here if he didn't put that first ball away.....

jabbronies
09-06-2008, 09:26 PM
He's still young as well. Another two years if he continues to develop at this rate, I can see him as a starter in replace of Robbo.

RPB73
09-06-2008, 10:31 PM

No it requires brains, which most of the other players don't seem to have.

kitchener-TFC
09-06-2008, 10:38 PM
I'd use him as an occasional sub.

poppamidnight
09-06-2008, 10:46 PM
I dont think it should be looked at from the "starter or regular" POV,

It all depends on the formation carver goes with,

I prefer to look at depth chart,

and as far as im concerned, doesnt matter if he starts or subs as long as he's above Harmse on the depth chart (Chad barrett quote of the day after Harmse's Field Goal attempt: "WTF was that, i was right here")

pepher
09-07-2008, 07:36 AM
i don't know what ya do in his case... surely the more he plays, the better he'll get but we currently have better players to start. i seem to remember he had a bit of a hot then cold game last time at BMO when he came on...

Ron Manager
09-07-2008, 07:39 AM
I liked seeing him and Guevara play in front of Robbo in our 3-5-2 against the revs. gave Robbo a second passing outlet, Rosie was pretty good on the ball and distributed well to the wingers and forwards. I wouldn't mind seeing that formation again. Or the alternate someone posted in another thread with 4 d's and only one forward. (Ruiz)

Nuvinho
09-07-2008, 07:49 AM
I like the way he plays, he can be a supersub.

S_D
09-07-2008, 07:57 AM
He's still young as well. Another two years if he continues to develop at this rate, I can see him as a starter in replace of Robbo.

Roselund isn't as good at defending so I can't see him replacing Robbo. Watching his runs and distribution I think he will be a capable AM once he can improve upon his finishing skills.

dannyd
09-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Rosenlund... Gala... Hemming... We play better when these young guys are in the side. Last night our defense is why we lost the game... I thought our mid played one of the best games of the season with Rosenlund, Jo Smith and Ricketts in it.

Mo and Carver have to give some serious thought as to what our "full-strength" side actually is.

Shakes McQueen
09-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Rosenlund... Gala... Hemming... We play better when these young guys are in the side. Last night our defense is why we lost the game... I thought our mid played one of the best games of the season with Rosenlund, Jo Smith and Ricketts in it.

Mo and Carver have to give some serious thought as to what our "full-strength" side actually is.

To be fair, our defense also cost us the first Chivas match. And they cost us the lone goal we conceded against New Englad the week before.

Poor defensive breakdowns cause a lot of TFC's problems.

- Scott

JonO
09-07-2008, 08:31 AM
I thought Rosenlund played an excellent match - most of his giveaway/the weak shot were in the last quarter of the match. For a sub who is playing a 90 minute match, he was probably bagged by then

bhoybobby
09-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Starter, all he needs to blossom is confidence.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-07-2008, 09:47 AM
great placement, great passes, terrible shots, defo needs confidence, id say regular sub but defo could be a starter

jabbronies
09-07-2008, 09:55 AM
and as far as im concerned, doesnt matter if he starts or subs as long as he's above Harmse on the depth chart (Chad barrett quote of the day after Harmse's Field Goal attempt: "WTF was that, i was right here")

Ya, Harmse needs to go - Tyler should for sure be above him.

So from what I'm reading on here is that he's a good AM, but got no D skills. This sucks because RR, Guevera and Smith all have no D skills as well. It would be murder to put him out there with those guys. I guess he'd either be a sub or replacement for one of these 3...

jloome
09-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Roselund isn't as good at defending so I can't see him replacing Robbo. Watching his runs and distribution I think he will be a capable AM once he can improve upon his finishing skills.

Dead on. Can't go backwards (which is surprising; wasn't be brought up as a defensive-minded player?) but dribbles beautifully, finds central space off the ball and runs to the back post. Makes him dangerous; the combo of Rosenlund, Ricketts and Smith gave Chivas fits at the beginning of the game, and the shape change in the second half after the red card really seemed to diffuse that. Plus, when Chivas choked off the flanks, the central midfield couldn't create, surprisingly because Harmse (who had, far and away, his best game this season) wasn't there anymore. He looked like a really composed two-way midfielder in the first half, it was wild.

CoachGT
09-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Agreed that Rosenlund had his best game of the season. The goal was about being in the right place at the right time - give him credit for being there, but I understand the implication of not a lot of skill necessary to score - tell that to Cunningham though! I still think he's a bench player, a good option to have when we need energy. But he really does need to work on finishing, and suspect he'd say the same. He's been given several opportunities this year already, which means that Carver must like him too.

I'm a little surprised about Johann Smith, though. Several good runs down the line, but still he seems to be a little too cute with the ball and loses it. It's almost like he's thinking that he is the only one that can do it - control the ball into the box and shoot - he could have created a few more chances with a couple of well placed passes, whether they be overlaps or crosses, and then move into the position to either get the ball back or release some pressure on the ball. He played okay yesterday, but he could have done much better.

Cobblers
09-08-2008, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by jabbronies http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=173297#post173297)
He's still young as well. Another two years if he continues to develop at this rate, I can see him as a starter in replace of Robbo

I sort of agree with you both...

I fully agree that I'd hope to have him develop over the next year or two to replace Robbo, but not necessarily replace the role Robbo currently plays. He has the ability to control the play (decent passing, intelligent, reads the game well) but is more of a two way midfielder. He's not as good a defender as Robbo but is much better going forward than Robbo. A bit more development and having him as a sub regularly will give him the confidence, which he lacked on a few scoring opportunities today.

TicTacTabarnack
09-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Regular Sub ... That was the first time I saw Rosenlund play that well. I would like to see him get more consistent before he's considered a starter. He does deserve to start next game against the KKKrew to prove if he can be consistent though. (i'll give him that.)