PDA

View Full Version : Who Should We Sign for next season?

TFC USA
09-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Mo Johnston gets an erection every time he signs an overrated, over the hill, 34 year old Sunday League quality player from Woolwich.

I really think we should stop looking at the English players (or foreigners who played in England) because if you haven't noticed, English football is in a tailspin.

How about we look at South America? What about Africa? South America provides the flare we need, and the Africans have incredible speed and endurance to play 4 games in one day.

Asian players never give up, if you look at the Japanese they won't roll around on the turf like the Chivas players do.

It doesn't have to be Sergio Aguero or a Park Ji-Sung or anything like that. Just go for a prospect.

I'm sorry guys, if you think what Mo is doing signing Robert and nearly getting Dickov is a good thing and you support him, you are delusional. We should look for young and veteran Canadians, Americans, other Europeans (not the UK), Africans, South Americans, anything other than having the Mo Johnston credential of playing for Bristol City.

loconet
09-06-2008, 05:10 PM
A couple of real defenders would be nice

deschamp86
09-06-2008, 05:29 PM
I think he should be looking to the USL and CSL for some young up and coming Canadians, for depth at least. Maybe even consider using up all the developmental spots

S_D
09-06-2008, 05:31 PM
3 CB's please :)

But before we do that we have to figure out the expansion draft. If it was like last year we can protect 11 players and only 1 international can be left unprotected. I can think of at least 1 after today's debacle.

The Habs Fan
09-06-2008, 05:32 PM
A couple of real defenders would be nice

We should sign Regan. He played better than Velez today.

TFC USA
09-06-2008, 05:33 PM

You could play better than Velez.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-06-2008, 05:38 PM
SIGN....lol!!!

First issue is GRASS beleive it or not!!!

Without the SOD.....we wont sign anything!!

Keyman
09-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Our two top players this year have come from the UK, so I don't know what you're basing your argument on.

And please give me a list of quality Canadian players, young or old, who will sign with Toronto FC.

Nuvinho
09-06-2008, 05:41 PM

agree, Regan looked good!!!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-06-2008, 05:45 PM
http://www1.livescore.com/img/flash.gif 42' Mexico 2 - 0 (http://www.livescore.com/default.dll/Game?comp=WC_CONCACAF_2&game=258662) Jamaica

opps wrong thread!

Red Skies At Night
09-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Our two top players this year have come from the UK, so I don't know what you're basing your argument on.

And please give me a list of quality Canadian players, young or old, who will sign with Toronto FC.

Absolutely. Let's start seeing some names, anybody can criticize but I don't see many people posting on here with realistic prospects for signing,

MFG1
09-06-2008, 06:21 PM
nobody get ahead of themselves now, we have to wait till the english leagues are over before we see any new signings, everyone knows that why should year 3 be any different??? SOOOOOOO next June sounds about right

LucaGol
09-06-2008, 06:23 PM
I would love it if we could get a guy like Javi Morales to sit next to Guevara.

Then you would have speedsters on the wings creativity in the middle and hopefully a predator in the box. As I posted in the other thread....

...(except with a couple modifications)

Wynne -- new CB -- new CB -- Brennan
------------- Rosenlund
------ new AM ---------Guevara
Ricketts ---------------------- Jo. Smith
------------- new CF

Shakes McQueen
09-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Mo Johnston gets an erection every time he signs an overrated, over the hill, 34 year old Sunday League quality player from Woolwich.

Aside from Robert and the pursuit of Dickov, this comment has no basis in reality. And as others mentioned, some of our best players have been signings from England.

Even Robert actually played really well when he first came over - he just got lazy as time went on.

I'm sorry guys, if you think what Mo is doing signing Robert and nearly getting Dickov is a good thing and you support him, you are delusional. We should look for young and veteran Canadians, Americans, other Europeans (not the UK), Africans, South Americans, anything other than having the Mo Johnston credential of playing for Bristol City.

We can't judge the Dickov deal, because it never happened. People here also criticized Mo for wanting to bring in the "over the hill" Huckerby. How has he worked out in San Jose, anyway?

No GM ever has a 100% success rate with signings. Robert didn't work out in the end, but Guevara, Ricketts, Jo Smith, and Barrett all have so far. He also secured us a bucket of high draft picks for next season, and a bunch of cap space/allocation to play with. Mo has been a great GM, for his first year in the job.

I also agree that people here are too quick to criticize, without offering up any solutions.

- Scott

Ontario Arab
09-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Kris Boyd

Roogsy
09-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Mo needs to forget about taking a vacation like he did last year and get scouting all winter long. And please stay away from expensive countries like England, France and Spain. Stick to Eastern European countries (if you really need to look in Europe), Asia (there is some real talent there!) South America (especially if you look outside Brazil and Argentina, there are some real deals) and Africa (OMG...talk about talent on the cheap!).

If Mo takes another working "vacation" in Brazil again I am going to freak out.

Nuvinho
09-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Serioux!!!!!!

Bars92
09-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Kris Boyd

Fuck that for a laff.:eek:

jabbronies
09-06-2008, 07:42 PM

Then you would have speedsters on the wings creativity in the middle and hopefully a predator in the box. As I posted in the other thread....

------------- Rosenlund
------------- new CF

STOP TRYING TO GET RID OF ROBBO!!!!!

Wynne -- new CB -- Dreads guy from todays game -- Brennan
------------- Robbo
------ Rosenlund---------Guevara
------------- new CF

Nuvinho
09-06-2008, 08:02 PM

------------- Robbo
------------- new CF

Dreads guy from today's game is ALMOST 40 YEARS OLD??

giambac
09-06-2008, 08:12 PM

1)I really think we should stop looking at the English players (or foreigners who played in England) because if you haven't noticed, English football is in a tailspin.

2)How about we look at South America? What about Africa? South America provides the flare we need, and the Africans have incredible speed and endurance to play 4 games in one day.

Asian players never give up, if you look at the Japanese they won't roll around on the turf like the Chivas players do.

It doesn't have to be Sergio Aguero or a Park Ji-Sung or anything like that. Just go for a prospect.

I agree on # 2 above and I 100% agree with #1 above.

BigLou
09-06-2008, 09:10 PM

------------- Rosenlund
------------- new CF
Rosenlund in Robbo's spot????? THAT is delusional. ;)

king dave
09-06-2008, 09:10 PM
no Moe
fucking
douchbag!
kd.

ben_vw
09-06-2008, 09:24 PM
i was thinking about a lineup like this...

GET DERO

--------------Sutts---------------
---Wynne----NEW CB----Brennan--
-------------Robinson-------------
--Ricketts---------------Jo Smith--
-----Guevara-------DeRosario------
-------------NEW ST--------------

TFC USA
09-06-2008, 09:28 PM
After these games by DeRo in the WCQ, I have second thoughts.

ben_vw
09-06-2008, 09:31 PM

and after watching guevara tonight - diving aside - he is absolutely the class act of our team (skillwise). yes - he's better than dero, and yes - we need him next year.

LucaGol
09-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Maybe our mystery AM can be Ramon Nunez....has a history in MLS, and Im sure Guevara could use the connection in our favour....and Im sure Nunez would not cost too much...and is still only 23.

Nunez certainly looked impressive tonight...

----------- Robinson (fine, I caved...he's back in the midfield)
-----Nunez -------- Guevara
Ricketts ---------------- Jo. Smith
----------- Kandji?? (I hope)

Roogsy
09-06-2008, 09:35 PM
and after watching guevara tonight - diving aside - he is absolutely the class act of our team (skillwise). yes - he's better than dero, and yes - we need him next year.

Guevara-haters don't realize that Guevara is not the problem on our team. He's not the reason we are not producing although to be fair, there are games where it seems his heart isn't in it. Can you really blame him? Who would find this team inspiring?

giambac
09-06-2008, 09:38 PM

DeRo looks good in the MLs becasue the quality sucks.

On the international satge you can't notice him.

Nuvinho
09-07-2008, 07:48 AM
My 2 pennies worth:

1. Dichio may retire - so make him strikers' coach (he can help Barrett and Ibbe)
2. Bring in a DP striker
3. Waiver goodbye to Velez
4. With now 2 roster spots open (Velez's and Edu's), bring in 2 CBs

The way we playing, we don't have to worry about allocation money, b/c we will get soo much from being so bad this year.

S_D
09-07-2008, 07:53 AM
My 2 pennies worth:

1. Dichio may retire - so make him strikers' coach (he can help Barrett and Ibbe)
2. Bring in a DP striker
3. Waiver goodbye to Velez
4. With now 2 roster spots open (Velez's and Edu's), bring in 2 CBs

The way we playing, we don't have to worry about allocation money, b/c we will get soo much from being so bad this year.

With the way things are going this season, with the Edu money, it could be well over 750K :eek: And that doesn't even include any allocation money that could come the team's way if some of those draft picks are turned into cash.

Zidane10
09-07-2008, 08:45 PM
We should sign all of San Jose and Frank Yallop. They made DC look like garbage this week, and their plays are absolutely beautiful. They have jelled really nicely as a team and Huckerby has made a nice addition. I say we use whatever it takes to get real grass and then get Huckerby and O'Brien over here, and maybe Yallop too.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Robert wasnt a bad signing in the beginning, everyone was excited and he showed promise. Regardless we definitely need one or two strikers, two CBs and a holding/defensive mid, MAYBE another winger.

v00d00daddy
09-07-2008, 10:08 PM
I don't mind what Robbo brings to the team BUT...if we're talking about filling holes?......

TFC spend 1/6 of their cap budget on him. I would rather spend that kind of money to shore up the back line, or to bring in another attacking mid.

If a major overhaul is going to happen I would hope our big ticket players would be in positions other than holding mid.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-07-2008, 10:13 PM
I think he should be looking to the USL and CSL for some young up and coming Canadians, for depth at least. Maybe even consider using up all the developmental spots

USL for sure....No to a pub league like the current CSL...went to a hamilton game a few years back at Brian Timmins stadium and they had a case of beer under the bench? what a league to look for players>>
TFC should put a U23 team in the USL so the academy players can move on to.

Nazzer
09-08-2008, 12:00 AM
3 CB's please :)

But before we do that we have to figure out the expansion draft. If it was like last year we can protect 11 players and only 1 international can be left unprotected. I can think of at least 1 after today's debacle.

If only one international can be allowed to be left unprotected they better release the players they don't plan on keeping before the expansion, rather than after the draft like they did last year.

Right now in terms of internationals there is; Dichio, Jarrod Smith, Guavera, James, Marshall, Ricketts, Robinson, Ruiz, Velez. That's nine right there. Assuming they leave Velez unprotected then there are only three more players that can be protected. Most likely they keep Sutton and Brennan protected so they don't lose on of the two starting Canadians. And then only one more player can be protected out of Dunivant, Johan Smith, Wynne and Barrett.

I say we get rid of Velez, Jarrod Smith, and Guavera before the draft so they can protect Johan Smith, Wynne and Barrett.

Cobblers
09-08-2008, 05:46 AM

------------- Robbo
------------- new CF

Ideally...

Wynne---new CB---Dunivant
Robbo
Ricketts---new box-to-box Mid---Guevara---Brennan
Barrett------new Striker

Develop Rosenlund another year or two but use him as a regular sub. Jo Smith as depth on the wing, Dichio as depth at Striker. Attakora as depth at CB or FB. Harmse as cover for Robbo when he's gone (he's actually had a few decent games of late...). Dump Velez and Marshall and trade James while people think he actually has value (he doesn't...).

jloome
09-08-2008, 06:37 AM
If only one international can be allowed to be left unprotected they better release the players they don't plan on keeping before the expansion, rather than after the draft like they did last year.

Right now in terms of internationals there is; Dichio, Jarrod Smith, Guavera, James, Marshall, Ricketts, Robinson, Ruiz, Velez. That's nine right there. Assuming they leave Velez unprotected then there are only three more players that can be protected. Most likely they keep Sutton and Brennan protected so they don't lose on of the two starting Canadians. And then only one more player can be protected out of Dunivant, Johan Smith, Wynne and Barrett.

I say we get rid of Velez, Jarrod Smith, and Guavera before the draft so they can protect Johan Smith, Wynne and Barrett.

Wow, are you sure they're holding to this for this expansion round? That's huge, in terms of the debate on how many internationals we 've signed. The money's in Wynne, so he's not going, and they just signed Barrett to a four-year deal that another club would have to pick up, so they'll probably leave Barrett unprotected and gamble that no one wants to take a chance on a four-year deal; alternately, they might look at Guevara's history, but I suggest am expansion franchise would snap a playmaker of his ability (albeit occasional lack of fight) in a second.

jayeden
09-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Season's over?

So quick to be a cunt everyone is...

Were 6 points out of the playoffs, with crucial games remaining with the teams very close to us.

Winning 5 out of the final 8 games could be just enough to put us in.

Mo gets an erection everytime he thinks about signing a 30+ yr old? Huckerby is anialating this league over in San Jose, and everyone is so quick to criticize mo for even the thought of ever signing 'such a cunt'.

Close this thread, and lets have this talk when the season is ACTUALLY over.

TFC USA, go fuck yourself..every thread you start is a shit show.

Derko
09-08-2008, 07:05 AM

I really think we should stop looking at the English players (or foreigners who played in England) because if you haven't noticed, English football is in a tailspin.

How about we look at South America? What about Africa? South America provides the flare we need, and the Africans have incredible speed and endurance to play 4 games in one day.

I have heard this one every week in the past 6 months, yes Mo should be looking at talent in all areas of the world, in particular those countries that have good cheaper players. I would hardly say I am delusional when I say that there are still quality players being developed in the UK.
A few of my thoughts are that the scouting budgets of most quality teams and leagues is huge and unfortunatley for TFC and MLS the scouting networks have been well established for many years. Go for some prospects on a gamble, maybe.

I also feel that any agent in Europe and most of Africa are not going to negotiate contracts with a league that has a salary cap such as MLS, the big money is in Europe, even a second team player with high potential is making more than most MLS players.

I think a lot of the problems are league economics and prestige.

It is easy to blame the GM and I agree on the scouting of other countries, but there is a little more to it than you or I probably know.

Now as for who do we sign, 2 players with the ability and quality to marshall the midfield and the football sense to be able to place the ball on the chest or foot of the winger or striker, and a defender that can captain the back line.

King Tut
09-08-2008, 07:05 AM
DESIGNATED PLAYER!

Derko
09-08-2008, 07:07 AM
DESIGNATED PLAYER!

Heard that one before.
3 quality players.

King Tut
09-08-2008, 07:22 AM
I am talking big name and proven, not the wanker type that Mo Johnston usually brings.

I'm talking Crespo-caliber!

Shakes McQueen
09-08-2008, 07:31 AM
I say we use our DP slot on a keeper. How about Jens Lehmann??

... :D

- Scott

bhoybobby
09-08-2008, 07:40 AM
A g.m. Mo can fuck off anytime now

nascarguy
09-08-2008, 08:28 AM
there are 7 game left and if we do not win 3 to 4 more games then next season you will not see any players banners from me and every player will haft to play for my support

King Tut
09-08-2008, 10:06 AM
there are 7 game left and if we do not win 3 to 4 more games then next season you will not see any players banners from me and every player will haft to play for my support
Wow you're patient! :rolleyes:
At 127, we stopped with the player banners since a long time ago. We're also considering no player chants as well.

nimamalek
09-08-2008, 10:43 AM
we're 6 points out of a spot and Dichio is back, we are a different team with Dichio in the line-up, i wouldnt be surprised if we make a run

Wooster_TFC
09-08-2008, 11:32 AM

I'd like to know what counts as "International" in terms of this, is it players taking up an international spot, or actual internationals. If it's actual internationals, then there only 5 (see http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3237).

Danny Dichio
Rohan Ricketts
Carl Robinson
Carlos Ruiz
Jarrod Smith

I can see them leaving any of Ruiz (if they don't think anyone will take him at his salary), Dichio (if they know he's going to retire anyways), or Smith (surplus) unprotected.

Wooster_TFC
09-08-2008, 11:38 AM
And on the topic at hand, I'd like to see something like this next year:

-----------------Sutton---------------
Wynne---New CB---Marshall---Dunivant/New LB
Ricketts---Guevara----Robinson---Brennan
-------Barrett/Ruiz----DP Striker-------

I like the way Rosenlund's been playing lately, and I think Harmse is decent backup for Robinson, but I really think we need to pick up someone who can play the wing as well as the middle of the midfield for depth reasons.

We'll also likely need another CB for backup, although Velez could fill in the odd time I would think. If we don't sign a starting LB, then we'll definitely need a backup for Dunivant in that position, since I really much prefer Brennan on the wing.

jloome
09-08-2008, 09:07 PM
And on the topic at hand, I'd like to see something like this next year:

-----------------Sutton---------------
Wynne---New CB---Marshall---Dunivant/New LB
Ricketts---Guevara----Robinson---Brennan
-------Barrett/Ruiz----DP Striker-------

I like the way Rosenlund's been playing lately, and I think Harmse is decent backup for Robinson, but I really think we need to pick up someone who can play the wing as well as the middle of the midfield for depth reasons.

We'll also likely need another CB for backup, although Velez could fill in the odd time I would think. If we don't sign a starting LB, then we'll definitely need a backup for Dunivant in that position, since I really much prefer Brennan on the wing.

I'm not sold on Brennan as a winger anymore; maybe platooning with Dunviant and Jo Smith so that he plays both spots? We definitely need a good, big, dominating centre half, and a game changing DP.

TFC USA
09-08-2008, 09:15 PM
I understand Ricketts and Dichio have been the top TFC players that played in the UK, but....

Laurent Robert, Andy Welsh, Carl Robinson to some, Collin Samuel, etc. Sorry guys, the UK is an expensive market, England football is crap now, go for the cheaper markets where better football is played.

ricciboy
09-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Dreads guy from today's game is ALMOST 40 YEARS OLD??

for REAL :eek: i thought he was 23

jrey
09-08-2008, 09:50 PM
I understand Ricketts and Dichio have been the top TFC players that played in the UK, but....

Laurent Robert, Andy Welsh, Carl Robinson to some, Collin Samuel, etc. Sorry guys, the UK is an expensive market, England football is crap now, go for the cheaper markets where better football is played.

So they miss one Euro and suddenly their football is crap?

National play aside - is the prem not widely considered the best league in the world? was there not 3 english teams in the semi finals of the champions league last year - all of which have at least 5 or 6 starters from england?

you're a twat. i agree with whoever said your threads are bull shit.

also, robbo is a rock, robert last played in spain (NOT england), and welsh and samuel each didn't last a full season (much like ALL players who turn out to be shit. so at least we're not holding on to them hoping they're going to pick up).

the season is hanging by a thread, but it is not over until it's over. look at fulham's comeback last season to escape relegation - or do you not watch the epl because it's english and thus BLOOOOOWSSS. :noidea:

we're a 2nd year team. we play on turf. best fans or not, a lot of big name players aren't into canada - or any american team not on a coast (besides chicago) for that matter. teams take time to build. look at the jays. the raptors. personally i'm here because i love it, not to bitch and moan about what I, the football fan with no experience in professional football whatsoever, think is best for the team.

we can speculate all we like, but in the end, until a rumour pops up and we get a hold of it, no one's opinion on any players is going to mean anything.

end rant.

TFC USA
09-08-2008, 10:02 PM
So they miss one Euro and suddenly their football is crap?

National play aside - is the prem not widely considered the best league in the world? was there not 3 english teams in the semi finals of the champions league last year - all of which have at least 5 or 6 starters from england?

you're a twat. i agree with whoever said your threads are bull shit.

also, robbo is a rock, robert last played in spain (NOT england), and welsh and samuel each didn't last a full season (much like ALL players who turn out to be shit. so at least we're not holding on to them hoping they're going to pick up).

the season is hanging by a thread, but it is not over until it's over. look at fulham's comeback last season to escape relegation - or do you not watch the epl because it's english and thus BLOOOOOWSSS. :noidea:

we're a 2nd year team. we play on turf. best fans or not, a lot of big name players aren't into canada - or any american team not on a coast (besides chicago) for that matter. teams take time to build. look at the jays. the raptors. personally i'm here because i love it, not to bitch and moan about what I, the football fan with no experience in professional football whatsoever, think is best for the team.

we can speculate all we like, but in the end, until a rumour pops up and we get a hold of it, no one's opinion on any players is going to mean anything.

end rant.

Really? England football is not crap? Are you serious? Are you really ****in serious? They are struggling to beat Andorra now! They haven't beaten any powerhouse of note under Capello or McLaren.

I love the EPL, it is the best league in the world.

NEWS FLASH: The number of Brits playing in the Prem is at an all-time low. So don't give me that BS about the Champions League. Arsenal is a top 4 team and they have how many English players? I thought so.

Andy Welsh got released IN ENGLAND, so there you go. I actually like Robbo, but he can't pass and he can't shoot, sorry man. Robert played with Newcastle, and that is what I meant.

But whatever, we can just do what Mo keeps doing and fail all the time.

MFBODD
09-08-2008, 10:03 PM
All I have to say is that management should keep International duty in mind when signing players. I know this won't matter every year, but our last match was a joke and the fact that MLS insists that matches be played as scheduled even when a club is missing a majority of it's roster to various national teams is simply stupid.

jrey
09-09-2008, 07:25 AM
Really? England football is not crap? Are you serious? Are you really ****in serious? They are struggling to beat Andorra now! They haven't beaten any powerhouse of note under Capello or McLaren.

NEWS FLASH: The number of Brits playing in the Prem is at an all-time low. So don't give me that BS about the Champions League. Arsenal is a top 4 team and they have how many English players? I thought so.

Andy Welsh got released IN ENGLAND, so there you go. I actually like Robbo, but he can't pass and he can't shoot, sorry man. Robert played with Newcastle, and that is what I meant.

1) If England doesn't qualify for the World Cup, I will concede that they are going down. What they lack is a consistent goal scorer and a good keeper.

2) All-time low, yes. But most of them do have a solid core of English players, minus Arsenal I know, but I wasn't referring to them specifically.

3) Robbo is a defensive specialist, and he does quite well at it. Worth his salary with our cap? Not really. But when we can replace him with someone who costs less, I'll agree. Welsh went to the Championship and couldn't stick - now he's in like League One or something? And Robert was pretty damn good when he played at Newcastle, and then it all went to shit. I'd like you to name any of our mids who could score 21 goals in 129 prem appearances.

4) Fail all the time? Do you remember the start of the season? How do you explain that? Besides a run of home games, of course. I think that altering MLS sched to suit FIFA dates would help us a whole lot, and that if Mo is to blame at all for our current state, it is very little.

p.s. the end of my post should have said drunken rant. i actually rather enjoy this back and forth debate. no hostility intended. :)

nascarguy
09-09-2008, 07:47 AM
SIGN....lol!!!

First issue is GRASS beleive it or not!!!

Without the SOD.....we wont sign anything!!yeah and not the cheap shity grass that they got in mtl.

Shakes McQueen
09-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Laurent Robert and Carl Robinson aren't from England. Neither is Collin Samuel. Where did you get these names from?

Robert is French, Robbo is from Wales, and Samuel is from Trinidad & Tobago - and didn't even play in an English LEAGUE before Toronto FC (he played for Dundee, and Falkirk before that).

We've had three English signings, and two of them have been great for the club (Ricketts, Dichio).

The English LEAGUES, on the other hand, have all sorts of good players, and as you said - the EPL in particular, is the best league in the world.

- Scott

nascarguy
09-09-2008, 07:52 AM

mo did not fail. it was the players that fail and EPL is not the best they are one of the best

Shaughno
09-09-2008, 07:56 AM

Don't normally care to even read your posts to be honest, but do you bother to read any of the press for TFC? Carver has come out and said multiple times that Mo lets Carver do what he wants with his players and the signings have been his doing this year, not Mo's.

Try again compadre.:rolleyes:

nascarguy
09-09-2008, 07:57 AM
yeah Andy Welsh plays for Yeovil Town Football Club

TFC USA
09-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Laurent Robert and Carl Robinson aren't from England. Neither is Collin Samuel. Where did you get these names from?

Robert is French, Robbo is from Wales, and Samuel is from Trinidad & Tobago - and didn't even play in an English LEAGUE before Toronto FC (he played for Dundee, and Falkirk before that).

We've had three English signings, and two of them have been great for the club (Ricketts, Dichio).

The English LEAGUES, on the other hand, have all sorts of good players, and as you said - the EPL in particular, is the best league in the world.

- Scott

They all (save for Samuel, so British League) played in England, that's what I mean.

busbyboy74
09-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I am talking big name and proven, not the wanker type that Mo Johnston usually brings.

I'm talking Crespo-caliber!

Hahaha you are having a laugh!!! We need to wake up and realize that we are not going to get high caliber players in this league. Specifically, here in T.O to play on artificial turf.

Beach_Red
09-09-2008, 11:28 AM
They all (save for Samuel, so British League) played in England, that's what I mean.

Well, you know, we have the Queen on our money so it's probably a lot easier to talk UK players into coming here. Many of them probably even have family here.

We have to chose from the players who agree to come to Canada and that probably narrows the field a lot more than we like to admit.

Damien
09-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Think focus really has to come to the Academy or bringing in players like JoSmith.

Huckerdick may have been a quick fix but San Jose will be back to square1 in a year.

Oldtimer
09-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Think focus really has to come to the Academy or bringing in players like JoSmith.

Huckerdick may have been a quick fix but San Jose will be back to square1 in a year.

That's exactly the right focus. New England thinks long term, that's how they built a winning team.

Damien
09-09-2008, 12:12 PM
I think we can really capitalize with a long term plan in this league because most other teams will continue to find quick fix DP's who dont help such as Lopez (KC), due to trying to keep bums in seats.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-09-2008, 12:42 PM
That's exactly the right focus. New England thinks long term, that's how they built a winning team.

evidently, gag, columbus does too

rocker
09-09-2008, 01:28 PM
evidently, gag, columbus does too

ya, that concert stage they built this year will help them get concerts long term!! :)

jabbronies
09-09-2008, 01:39 PM
I think we can really capitalize with a long term plan in this league because most other teams will continue to find quick fix DP's who dont help such as Lopez (KC), due to trying to keep bums in seats.

basically what NE Revs are doing....

Damien
09-09-2008, 01:42 PM
We need to find a way to rip off the revs, since they seem to be ahead of us in this game.

jabbronies
09-09-2008, 01:42 PM
basically what NE Revs are doing....

I mean we should be doing what the revs are doing...if you look at thier roster, they've aquired most of thier team through the draft, or had picked them up on dev contracts

Derko
09-09-2008, 01:50 PM
A long term development plan is the key to success, not the Flash in the Pan attitude which is generally circulated on this board, yes we want to see success, but it comes at a price of stability and patience. I have noticed that the geniune sports fan posts objective and truly insightful threads and arguments, not the drunken knee jerk comments after a TFC loss.

Perhaps we should have a development plan for some of supporters.
Just tired of the same people bringing up the same arguments over and over and over.
Sometimes I feel like a parrot, like a parrot, like a parrot repeating myself.

Very sober rant is over.

Oldtimer
09-09-2008, 02:02 PM
The difficulty with long-term is that New England was crap at first, and lost a large portion of their fanbase. By the time they built a winner, a lot of fans had left. That's the problem with long-term. A lot of so-called "fans" won't wait. Now they have the results, the team is very strong, but where are the fans?

giambac
09-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Sing Tim Regan

He is the answer to all of our problems.

AL-MO
09-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Sing Tim Regan

He is the answer to all of our problems.

I disagree. Ricky Titus is the answer to all of our problems! :p

AL-MO
09-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Sing Tim Regan

I am sure someone is coming up with a song for him already! :p

SLBuu
09-09-2008, 02:22 PM
sign me!!! i look good on the bench!!

Damien
09-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Maybe we should just play more games against USL teams, they're easier to beat....
wait...

burlington Red
09-09-2008, 02:37 PM
mo did not fail. it was the players that fail and EPL is not the best they are one of the best

2 EPL teams in the Champions league final, 3 EPL teams in the semi finals of the toughest club competition in the world, I'd say it's a fair bet to call the EPL the best in the world.

David_Oliveira
09-09-2008, 03:27 PM
I've started looking at the numbers in the NCAA and have found two decent players (statistically they are good)
I really hope that we can draft Sam Petrone. He is currently the leading scorer in the NCAA and plays for Seton Hall. Currently has 8 goals 1 assist in 4 games. He is their all-time leading scorer. Definitely should send someone to see him.

Also Alan McGreal from Canisius who has 5 assists in 4 games. I would love to actually see game tape of these two.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Talk to Professor, hes got that NCAA game on lock

Shakes McQueen
09-09-2008, 04:26 PM

In that case, why bring up the lack of performance from England's Mens National Team in trying to prove your point?

- Scott

Oldtimer
09-09-2008, 05:05 PM
2 EPL teams in the Champions league final, 3 EPL teams in the semi finals of the toughest club competition in the world, I'd say it's a fair bet to call the EPL the best in the world.

This is the best standard to count it, once you also take into account that last year Europe won the World Club competition, so the winner of Europe is the best club in the world.

Ontario Arab
09-09-2008, 05:29 PM

WTF does a National teams problems have to do wit their leagues doofy...?...........My my watch some tv or even better get on a plane idiot. OPEN Your eyes man...thats an idiotic statement

AL-MO
09-09-2008, 05:43 PM
[u]
WTF does a National teams problems have to do wit their leagues doofy...?...........My my watch some tv or even better get on a plane idiot. OPEN Your eyes man...thats an idiotic statement

Whoa. Chill out alright?

Shakes McQueen
09-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Whoa. Chill out alright?

Haha, my thoughts exactly.

Also, who calls someone "doofy"? :noidea:

- Scott

AL-MO
09-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Haha, my thoughts exactly.

Also, who calls someone "doofy"? :noidea:

- Scott

He has his warning.

Baggio2TFC
09-09-2008, 08:33 PM
The way I look at it, it all depends on what the Salary Cap is going to be next year and if we have grass instead of turf. If the cap goes up(say to $5mil or so) and we get grass, I think we need to look at a DP in the striker position. Then start to look at the 2nd divisons to fill some of our holes at D and MID positions.

With Man City's owner looking at buying everyone and everything, Transfer fees and player salaries will inflate and will only hurt this league in the long term. This is just one of the many reasons MLS needs to up the Salary Cap ASAP.

nascarguy
09-11-2008, 02:03 AM
hi everyone what player sould tfc resign or sign.

I think we sould sign k. cooper from FC Dallas he only is being pay I think 75,000$us a year and wants more money and dallas has stop talking with. I think if we give him anywhere from $300.000 to $450.000 he would be happy he is asking fc dallas for around DP price and there saying no right now.

his last club before dallas was: Manchester United

Section 117
09-11-2008, 04:42 PM
If we did that say goodbye to Danny

Ossington Mental Youth
09-11-2008, 04:45 PM
itll never happen, once dudes contract is up there, hes going to the UK (or overseas, most likely).
I cant even begin to imagine what they would want (if anything) for cooper.

giambac
09-11-2008, 08:17 PM
If we did that say goodbye to Danny

Say good bye to Danny and Barrett.

Sign Super Mario

Super Mario Balotelli.

He is the one, the next superstar.

werewolf
09-11-2008, 08:21 PM
yea, I think Inter will be looking to give him up....

can we keep this thread from now on to somewhat legit targets.

Smokecell
09-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Striker Michael Mifsud from Coventry in the Championship would be great, almost made the move to Bristol City on the off season however it fell through...contract expires at the end of the season

giambac
09-12-2008, 08:34 AM
yea, I think Inter will be looking to give him up....

can we keep this thread from now on to somewhat legit targets.

My people at Inter say they will listen to all offers.

The starting bid will be at $100 million.

Watch out for this kid at the 2010 WC.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 10:18 AM
I think we should sign Giambac as GM, Coach and star striker (as well as centerback).
Hes obviously got a great previous career and a fantastic soccer mind.

jloome
09-12-2008, 04:58 PM
I think we should sign Giambac as GM, Coach and star striker (as well as centerback).
Hes obviously got a great previous career and a fantastic soccer mind.

Spit take!

You're now responsible for the slight brown sheen on my monitor.

Seriously though, there are a lot of options, if Mo is telling the truth about a DP next season, and I see no reasont to suggest otherwise. I spent a day last week just trolling Brazilians to see who was playing where around the world, and there are a TON of hired guns out there who would rip this league one, very much in the L. Emilio fashion -- as in, 15 goals or more a year.

Centre half will be interesting. There are a lot of good ones of those out there too, but they're not cheap.

tlear
09-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Wynn -- ? --- ? -- Brennan
Rickets - Robbo - Guevara - ?
------Barret/Dichio -- Ruiz ------

Watching both Ruiz and Guevara play for their national teams it is damn clear that both should be kept and given better support cast. I am not sold on Jo Smith, he might work out or he might not

So here is a shopping list:
1. 3 defenders..
2. Winger
3. Depth AM (for when Guevara is away)

For a DP I would pick a defender, someone with a lot of experience and ability to organize the back line. Winger would also work, but it would have to be someone very good to make an impact, see if Guevara or Ruiz have a suggestion.

Turf. Sign from countries where this is not an issue. East Europe would be a good place to look. Unfortunately it is getting pricey over there.

Chop block: Jarrod Smith, Velez, James, Harmse maybe

We need defenders and signing people from draft is not going to do it. Get someone of Tebily quality and above.

rocktml
09-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Lukas Podolski.........oh wait is this the thread saying who WE want or what will actually happen......in that case same team we have now, we''ll have next year ;)

tlear
09-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Podolski won me $140 in my work Euro top scorer pool! :) Wasn't he having problem with his club? haha oh well a pipe dream

jloome
09-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Wynn -- ? --- ? -- Brennan
Rickets - Robbo - Guevara - ?
------Barret/Dichio -- Ruiz ------

Watching both Ruiz and Guevara play for their national teams it is damn clear that both should be kept and given better support cast. I am not sold on Jo Smith, he might work out or he might not

So here is a shopping list:
1. 3 defenders..
2. Winger
3. Depth AM (for when Guevara is away)

For a DP I would pick a defender, someone with a lot of experience and ability to organize the back line. Winger would also work, but it would have to be someone very good to make an impact, see if Guevara or Ruiz have a suggestion.

Turf. Sign from countries where this is not an issue. East Europe would be a good place to look. Unfortunately it is getting pricey over there.

Chop block: Jarrod Smith, Velez, James, Harmse maybe

We need defenders and signing people from draft is not going to do it. Get someone of Tebily quality and above.

Yep, and spend the DP money on a 20 goal guy. Both Ruiz, at this stage in his career, and Barrett -- based on finishing -- are the second guy, as far as I can see.

But in all honesty, we could improve at almost every position; the only guys I think should be safe as starters are Ricketts and Sutton, and the latter is partly a Canadian issue. Jimmy Brennan's pretty solid , too, and so is Robbo although he's one-dimension in a league with caps and limited rosters.

LucaGol
09-12-2008, 06:38 PM
I want another AM. Forget all the rest ... those will sort themselves out with young players, trades, players from Africa whatever ...

... an AM creative player should be the big ticket item ... someone to give Guevara help holding and distributing the killer balls from midfield to final third ... which will end up in the back of the net.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 06:48 PM
What about using Rosenlund as a back up for Guevara?
People wanna see more Canadians playing right?
I do think hes getting better everytime i see him play, needs to work on his shooting tho

jloome
09-12-2008, 06:55 PM
What about using Rosenlund as a back up for Guevara?
People wanna see more Canadians playing right?
I do think hes getting better everytime i see him play, needs to work on his shooting tho

After his last three appearances, I'd be surprised if that wasn't a given. He's really coming on. Wonder if he'll start this week?

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 07:48 PM
After his last three appearances, I'd be surprised if that wasn't a given. He's really coming on. Wonder if he'll start this week?

If guevara isnt ready i really do hope so, i like what i saw last week and i do think he can develop (i know its a bit late but hes grown so much in his last 3 games) into a relatively solid player, i may however be jumping hte gun

Roogsy
09-12-2008, 08:44 PM
We should sign Del Piero. And no I am not smoking anything.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/soccer/09/12/del.piero/index.html

Del Piero in Toronto would be huge. There is a big Italian community here. He'd still be able to market himself in the US. And MLSE can afford him.

Do it TFC. Do it Mo. Del Piero is one of the most potent snipers in the game...even now.

CretanBull
09-12-2008, 08:48 PM
^ They'd more than make back his salary in jerseys sold.

I don't care who we sign, but our two biggest signings better be two quality center-backs.

Roogsy
09-12-2008, 08:54 PM
^ They'd more than make back his salary in jerseys sold.

I don't care who we sign, but our two biggest signings better be two quality center-backs.

Beckham's jersey would be the only one that could sell more.

He'd be huge. And it would instantly add quality to the team.

Not to mention credibility.

Seriously...I am not a big fan of Serie A, but there is no denying Italian soccer accomplishments, and Del Piero is one of the best of our current generation.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Del Piero in Toronto would be unbelievable

Roogsy
09-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Give him 10mill over 2 years. Think that's reasonable?

Shoot...the new scoreboard at the ACC cost 8mill...we're not worth 10mill for someone who will probably recoup most of that salary?

Do it Mo. Convince the board.

BuSaPuNk
09-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Sounds great. Del Piero would be amazing. Would he be willing to come to the MLS though??

rocktml
09-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Podolski won me $140 in my work Euro top scorer pool! :) Wasn't he having problem with his club? haha oh well a pipe dream

ya Bayern Munich is sitting him. He wants to be a started but with guys like Toni and Klose playing so well......Munich has no choice really

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Jamie Peters. Doesn’t look like he’s going to establish himself in England. Could be a productive players for TFC for a number of years.

CretanBull
09-13-2008, 01:08 AM
Beckham's jersey would be the only one that could sell more.

He'd be huge. And it would instantly add quality to the team.

Not to mention credibility.

Seriously...I am not a big fan of Serie A, but there is no denying Italian soccer accomplishments, and Del Piero is one of the best of our current generation.

I'm not a fan of Seria A or Del Piero, but if he'd be willing to come here it would be a no brainer. They'd make a ton of cash off him, he'd score goals, we'd win games and he'd put our team on the map.

Fort York Redcoat
09-13-2008, 05:52 AM
This thread is dreamy. I hope the names being thrown around here become possibility in the future.

tovan
09-13-2008, 11:29 AM
I think both of these guys are free to sign and are definitely DP material. One can only wish.

Thomas Gravesen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Gravesen

Freddie Ljungberg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Ljungberg

Roogsy
09-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Sounds great. Del Piero would be amazing. Would he be willing to come to the MLS though??

Dunno what he means by "abroad" but unless he wants to go to England or Spain, i just don't see him in Holland or Portugal.

For marketing, the US or Japan would be the most ideal.

But only in North America would you find a large Italian community that would give us the edge over Japan.

I don't think it's so far-fetched so long as a) we pay him right and b) we put a good team around him. Failing to do either of these, and forget about it.

Sonny Cheeba
09-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Robinho. He scored by the 13th minute of his first appearance with Man City.

what's up with Freddy Leungberg? is he still looking to come to North America?

Ossington Mental Youth
09-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Wouldnt touch Ljungberg with a stick, injury prone player in a position we have filled at a ridiculous amount of money.
No thanks.
i think LA was talking to him but that was before Arena, i think

TFCREDNWHITE
09-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Any of these guys possible to sign??? i guess as DP's...

Alberto Diego Milito (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=33582&cc=5901)
Real Zaragoza (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?id=91&cc=5901)

Fernando Baiano (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=39830&cc=5901)
Celta Vigo (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?id=85&cc=5901)

Ewerthon (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=13981&cc=5901)
Real Zaragoza (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?id=91&cc=5901)

Juan Riquelme (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=19082&cc=5901)
Villarreal (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?id=102&cc=5901)

Savo Milosevic (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=9869&cc=5901)
Osasuna (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?id=97&cc=5901)

Diego Tristán (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=12967&cc=5901)
Deportivo La Coruña (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?id=90&cc=5901)

Juan Arango (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=32709&cc=5901)
Mallorca (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?id=84&cc=5901)

Henrik Larsson (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=4266&cc=5901)
Barcelona (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?id=83&cc=5901)

Raúl Tamudo (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=10038&cc=5901)
Espanyol (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?id=88&cc=5901)

John Aloisi (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=12174&cc=5901)
Alavés (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?id=96&cc=5901)

Veljko Paunovic (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=12353&cc=5901)
Getafe (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?id=2922&cc=5901)

Diego Forlan (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=18587&cc=5901)
Villarreal (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?id=102&cc=5901)

Maxi Rodríguez (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=24460&cc=5901)
Atlético Madrid (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?id=1068&cc=5901)

Mariano Pernia (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=29817&cc=5901)
Getafe (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?id=2922&cc=5901)

TFCREDNWHITE
09-13-2008, 01:36 PM
I think these guys should be able to be retained as well..

Marcelo Salas #11 F
December 24, 1974

Or

Nicolas Gianni #14 M

Nicolas Andrés Gianni

September 27, 1982

Or

Rodrigo Toloza #11 M
May 3, 1984

Yohan
09-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Heh. I think I wasn't out to lunch when I was calling for a DP CB between season 1 and 2.

Though I think Guevara may be slowing down considering he's what, 32? and this season has really taken a lot out of him. A DP AM might be a good spend. (considering TFC looks pretty clueless in the final third of the pitch.