PDA

View Full Version : Academy Players Dismissed?

Lucky Strike
09-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Didn't see this posted anywhere (apologies if it is) and I have no official sources, only this thread on a forum which contains a report from someone at the club.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17066

From what I can gather, some parents of the Academy players were verbally abusive to both the referees and the other team's (Portugal FC) players. This provoked an all-out brawl which saw many fights and assault with various objects. Several Portugal FC players were suspended by the CSL with TFC has reportedly dismissed some players for the conduct of their parents, including Adrian Pena the Academy's leading scorer.

Apparently, this was a long time coming as the parents of Academy players have been acting with arrogance as if their kids have already made it big. It's unclear whether the players are that arrogant as well although some posts made it seem like they're obedient, if only a bit rough in playing.

If true, it's a huge shame for the players to be dismissed because of their parents' actions. From what I've read, they appeared to have nothing to do with the brawl. Barring the parents from attending or making the Academy play behind closed doors would be more reasonable in my view.

Ladies Love Julius James
09-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Agreed, don't fuckin punish kids for their moronic parents

Ossington Mental Youth
09-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Agreed, don't fuckin punish kids for their moronic parents

yeah thats ridiculous.
ban the parents maybe but not the kids
Hope its not true

Bluenose13
09-05-2008, 10:07 AM
There is a really informative thread on this over at the Usector site......It got pretty crazy.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-05-2008, 10:09 AM
There is a really informative thread on this over at the Usector site......It got pretty crazy.

care to give a summary?

Bluenose13
09-05-2008, 10:13 AM
care to give a summary?
http://z15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=7829

Parkdale
09-05-2008, 10:21 AM
whoa.... I wish I was there. nothing like Soccer Moms gone wild

akoto
09-05-2008, 10:27 AM
WOW!

What do you say to that?

I really hate to see the kids loss out on such a great chance, but can you really blame TFCA for taking these drastic measures? The actions of the parents are disgusting and a complete disgrace to the organization. I hope the parents are ashamed of themselves for potentially ruining their kid's chance at pro soccer and for spoiling TFCA's first season.

trane
09-05-2008, 10:29 AM
From what I understand Pena scored 6 goals in 15 games. Why could it not been someone with less goals?

Damien
09-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Was Pena also involved though or just his parents?

bangersandmash
09-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Anybody want to guess the amount of time between the player being cut from the team and the parents contacting their lawyer (you know, as opposed to taking responsibility for their own actions!)

trane
09-05-2008, 10:41 AM
I read it mostly parents. You know what charges should have been laid if it went down as described in the article it was way over the top.

jayeden
09-05-2008, 10:42 AM
taken from u-sec board

Yesterdays game between the TFC Academy and Portugal FC was a brutal match as Portugal had won 5-2, with some of the worst officiating I have ever witnessed on Canadian soil, and THAT is a statement.

I sat with another U Sector member right in the heart of the storm and here is what went down.

The parents of TFC Acad, who have grown game by game to be the absolute most disgusting of fans in the league were ripping an asshole into the ref and taunting the Portuguese FC keeper who had taken it all in stride.

One of the older Portuguese coaches kept getting taunted by the parents as he walked around the outside of the pitch and after hearing a slur in Portuguese, turned around to a hugely oversized mother and called her a bitch. The parents just kept getting louder and louder and when the game was done (after 8 minutes of injury time- I mean what ref lets 8 mins of injury time go on when a team is up 5-1 and the mood is more than aggressive?) that is when it all went downhill.

As the players were making their way to the OSA Building, that same coach from Portugal FC was though to have said something to a player from TFC Academy. The kid's parent then went ballistic, repeatdely yelling out "Don't talk to my kid like that you Portuguese mother fucker, he's only 17." A meber of the CSL tried to seperate the irate parent from coming to approach the coach when the parent broke through and kicked the coach in the balls.

The coach then went after the parent and a player named Bah (You may remeber him as the ugly dude with cornrows and bright yellow-now orange- boots that played for Tribal Rhythm Nation in the Supporters Cup, came in and smacked the parent in his face. Other TFC parents came in and hit the Portugal FC players and one older, and very stupid parent, tried taking on a much younger and stronger player from PFC and ended up getting hit harder than Heath Herring did from Brock Lesnar at the last UFC Pay per view.

The oversized loudmouth soccer mom contiuned to yell at PFC players and provoked her husband to attak them some more, until her husband got his ass kicked when she then phoned the police.

Everything seemed to be over after that as both groups of players went towards the dressing room when all of sudden a TFC parent, looking to win back some pride after getting knocked in the face, went up to a random player, who was no bigger than 5'5 and weighed 150lbs tops and sucker punched him in the face, causing massive bleeding to erupt from his nose and mouth. The tiny player, lost his cool and took a long, wooden-handled cleaning object that resembled a metal swiffer and swing once at the guy but it was blocked by the forearm of the same CSL staff member who had tried his best to prevent the fight earlier. The player then ran around and ended up clocking the parent in the head with the object right in the head and the parent was KO'd on spot.

More parents of TFC academy got involved and starting attacking random players, while PFC captain and TFC acad coach, Jason Bent tried to get everyone away from the rukus.

I have never seen a brawl like that at the CSL, even between the Serbs and Croats. In my opinion 2 of the PFC players should be suspended and many of the TFC acad parents should be banned for the duration of games as long as their child is involved with the programSimply put. it was disgusting.

end quote

Ladies Love Julius James
09-05-2008, 10:45 AM
IF that's what went down then the TFC Academy should be suspended for a fuckin year, no games at all.

alexintoronto
09-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Why shouldn't the kids be punished? The parents getting banned isn't going to send any kind of message. And who is actually going to be there to enforce the ban? Are we expecting face scanning technology or hiring extra guards and police to keep the parents away. I initially thought the same thing - why punish the kids... but I don't think there is an option.

Ladies Love Julius James
09-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Ya if the parents attacked players and such then they could all pack up and leave

Brooker
09-05-2008, 10:50 AM
"A meber of the CSL tried to seperate the irate parent from coming to approach the coach when the parent broke through and kicked the coach in the balls."

LOLOLOLOL

2 points!

werewolf
09-05-2008, 10:52 AM
that's a disgrace.

If the children of the parents are punished, it should be unilaterally, as in the whole team. Don't single out one player because his parent is a douchebag.

AL-MO
09-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Just more of Voyaguers propaganda....their are the Pravda of football internet news.

What are you talking about?

I saw this on U-Sector before anything. I would have posted it here but decided not to.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-05-2008, 10:53 AM
ridiculous.
dont think so kids are not responsible for their parents, the parents are adults who need to control themselves, the kids are there to better their football.

billyfly
09-05-2008, 11:09 AM
The way the brawl went down sounds like some ball hockey leagues I've been in (minus teh parents). Once one person starts it goes downhill.

rocker
09-05-2008, 11:18 AM
i have no problem with the punishment. parents need to understand the consequences of their actions. they are the legal guardians of the kids who are that age.
to just ban the parent means the coaching staff must then monitor the attendance in the stadium in case the parent defies the ban.. that's not something the staff need to worry about.
since kids often need to be driven to games by their parents, it would be weird having the parents in the parking lot.

it's too bad for the kid but he'll find another place to play if he's any good.

Tintin
09-05-2008, 11:34 AM
i have no problem with the punishment. parents need to understand the consequences of their actions. they are the legal guardians of the kids who are that age.
to just ban the parent means the coaching staff must then monitor the attendance in the stadium in case the parent defies the ban.. that's not something the staff need to worry about.
since kids often need to be driven to games by their parents, it would be weird having the parents in the parking lot.

EXACTLY! Tha's why the kids were banned. They are underage and under the care of the parents therfore they are tied to a decision made against their parents.

Great decision by TFCA. You know what they say: The apple dos not fall far from the tree. if the parents have this attitude, who knows about the kids.

This makes me think of something that I thought before. I dont think it's a good thing for the Academy to be playing with men in the CSL. They shoulbe touring in Tournements around the world against kids their age or a bit older. Look at the results, they are second from bottom and playing physicl men must create frusration. The kids and the parents may think that TFCA are being fouled whn they are simply legally being out muscled. Then evryone is frustrated and we have a brawl.

The CSL a a competite seniot mens league an dit shoul stay like that. I would like the TFC resreve to play in that league just like the Impacts have the Trois rivieres Attack (who are firts by far) in the league.

just my thoughts.

Oldtimer
09-05-2008, 11:36 AM

So say you're the manager of an academy, and a kid whose parents are such idiots wants to sign. Would you take him? (Maybe if it's the whitecaps academy, too far away for the parents to show up).

Tintin
09-05-2008, 11:38 AM
So say you're the manager of an academy, and a kid whose parents are such idiots wants to sign. Would you take him? (Maybe if it's the whitecaps academy, too far away for the parents to show up).

Exactly. No way I would take him.

Parkdale
09-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Would you take him?

depending on talent. if the kid is just that good then people will put up with almost anything. If he's an average player, then his bad reputation will really hurt him.

rocker
09-05-2008, 11:47 AM

of course somebody will take him. if people on HERE disagree about the fact that he was kicked off the squad for his parents actions, why wouldn't there be coaches willing to take him on?

and it's not like coaches who want to win games will really care.

lastly, the parents didn't kick their own coach in the balls, just the opponents ;)

anyhow, the player is near University age anyway, and will probably get an offer to go down south. universities won't care.

redcard
09-05-2008, 11:51 AM
What are you talking about?

I saw this on U-Sector before anything. I would have posted it here but decided not to.

very true..they posted it as soon as it happend

RPB_Brantford_08
09-05-2008, 11:59 AM
get the academy games at BMO next season, TFC could keep a watchful eye on things from their offices.

denime
09-05-2008, 12:07 PM
In my opinion parents should be banned from all youth games,no matter what sport.
Drop your kid for a game or practice and pick him up when is finished.Stupid parents that try to live their dream trough their kids,ruining everything.
At the end of the day it is kids game and let them develop and enjoy the game
I would banned all parents from U8-U18 games in all sports.
Parents should pay,and drive end of story,I would like to see how many parents around the world hanging around the pitch and shouting all the time at kids,I would say not so many except in N.America.
Kids don't need parents support during the games, professional teams need support.
If I was that player,I would probably tell both of my parents to go fu*k themselves and better never show up for any of my games,IDIOTS.

AL-MO
09-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Have you heard my solution? This was for an indoor league so it wouldn't apply here.

Build a sound proof structure at the side of the field with the lock on the outside of the door.

At the beginning of the game someone would let them in and lock the door. They can then scream and complain all they want, but NOONE will hear them. Once the game is finished and the players are ready to go home, someone would let them out.

I know its an ideal situation, but it could work!! :lol:

denime
09-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Tinted windows too,so kids can see them at all,then they can scream and fight between each other.I like the idea :)

AL-MO
09-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Tinted windows too,so kids can see them at all,then they can scream and fight between each other.I like the idea :)

Oh yeah!

If I was involved in indoor soccer I'd do this for sure! :lol:

Oldtimer
09-05-2008, 12:58 PM
In my opinion parents should be banned from all youth games,no matter what sport.
Drop your kid for a game or practice and pick him up when is finished.Stupid parents that try to live their dream trough their kids,ruining everything.
At the end of the day it is kids game and let them develop and enjoy the game
I would banned all parents from U8-U18 games in all sports.

As a youth house league soccer coach, I don't really mind the parents being there. It's only in Allstar/Select and above that things start to get nasty. My subjective impression is the higher you go, the nastier the parents are.

denime
09-05-2008, 01:03 PM
You should see parents in Hispanic House soccer league.Every game even for U-5 is like world cup finals.parents shouting so much that some kids start crying on the field.Not the mention verbal abuse between parents and fights every now and than.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Have you heard my solution? This was for an indoor league so it wouldn't apply here.

Build a sound proof structure at the side of the field with the lock on the outside of the door.

At the beginning of the game someone would let them in and lock the door. They can then scream and complain all they want, but NOONE will hear them. Once the game is finished and the players are ready to go home, someone would let them out.

I know its an ideal situation, but it could work!! :lol:

While we're at it, let's make this structure airtight, with only 2 hours of breathable air in it. If the parents scream, they'll suffocate!:D

e_mcarthur89
09-05-2008, 03:48 PM
When I was at the London City game against TFCA earlier this year the parents acted exactly as described throughout these threads. They think their kids are the shit and the next big thing. The parents literally have no understanding of the game and yell and argue EVERY call the ref made against them. I was cheering for London City and am damn glad I was, the parents were an embarrassment to the TFC organization.

Rawkus_420
09-05-2008, 03:52 PM
wow thats awesome.i would have loved to see that

profit89
09-05-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm not condoning violence in any way, but to see passion is great !!
It's about time we move away from treating youth soccer as a family fun day out thing. Why do you think we're so good in hockey. Because kids and parents take it so seriously. But again, not excusing violence.

This is the type of passion that improves National Teams !!

Roogsy
09-05-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm not condoning violence in any way, but to see passion is great !!
It's about time we move away from treating youth soccer as a family fun day out thing. Why do you think we're so good in hockey. Because kids and parents take it so seriously. But again, not excusing violence.

This is the type of passion that improves National Teams !!

I doubt this was passion. This was just "hockey" parents at their worst. There is a difference.

profit89
09-05-2008, 04:38 PM
I doubt this was passion. This was just "hockey" parents at their worst. There is a difference.

Ok fine. The label is not important.. parental pressure? parental idiocy? Whatever it was it improves National Teams, as compared to a family fun day out attitude.

SLBuu
09-05-2008, 04:39 PM
^^ Big Difference!!!!!!

Red CB Toronto
09-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Players should never be held accoutable for the actions of their parants. How many times have we heard about all sorts of things going on in local hockey arenas, I also think moms and dads sometimes even egg on their kids to do crazy things and emotions get in the way.

windsorlad111
09-05-2008, 08:59 PM

amen. I was down at Eglington Park and saw some young kids playing footy. Some of the parents were simply embarrasing to themselves. Losers trying to assert themselves through children's sport? WTF?

jloome
09-05-2008, 09:40 PM
The easy solution is to hire off-duty cops for security -- which can actually be arranged through the department, so they can be in uniform (at least, it can here in Edmonton) , then apply the cost of security to league registration fees, and let parents figure out for themselves why fighting is retarded when they have to pay a shitload more.

T_Mizz
09-05-2008, 10:02 PM
I've seen bans placed before on parents and it turns out ok but denime has touched my heart to tell you the truth.
Thinking back, the games I enjoyed the best were the ones where my dad wasn't screaming at me. I remember how early on it was important to have him there for support until i was comfortable with the kids on my team but when he was screaming "Crash the net", "Get back", and "Shoot" I wasn't having a good time and as a result I gave up playing hockey which was a shame cuz my hands were softer than butter and I could stick-handle in a thunderstorm and keep the puck dry. I scored 12 goals in a triple A game once, but my Dad sucked all the fun out of it and I decided to say screw this.
I mean just think about it, do you think Walter Gretzky was ever caught screaming at young Wayne? No that's not how you breed excellence. Taking things seriously is only good if that dedication comes from the kid's love of the game NOT the parents.

AL-MO
09-05-2008, 10:24 PM
The parental coaching drives me crazy....you don't know shit about the game(well most of the time in this country)...shut the fuck up!

Cashcleaner
09-05-2008, 10:45 PM
The easy solution is to hire off-duty cops for security -- which can actually be arranged through the department, so they can be in uniform (at least, it can here in Edmonton) , then apply the cost of security to league registration fees, and let parents figure out for themselves why fighting is retarded when they have to pay a shitload more.

Would never fly. Makes far too much sense, you see.

AL-MO
09-05-2008, 10:50 PM

Sometimes this is mandated through discipline.

In fact if a referee branch institutes the 'Bowmanville Resolution' (referees do not fee safe to do games of a particular club) the club itself has to pay for cops to be at games otherwise the referee will leave.

Unfortunately this would become WAY too costly. I tried to get Cops for one of my game a while back and it would have worked out to me paying out $300!!! (and that was only for 1 60 minute game)