PDA

View Full Version : Ben Knight - A 2-tier MLS?

nobodybeatsthewiz
09-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Knight: A two-tier MLS?

We're in pure fantasy land this morning, folks. Just you, me and a dumb idea that landed on my shoulder the other day, and will not leave me.
This past week – and coming weekend – we are getting textbook lessons in the limitations of Major League Soccer. The single-entity structure, tight roster limitations, maverick scheduling and salary cap have added up to the New England Revolution being pecked to death by pigeons in the CONCACAF Champions League, and Toronto FC charging their loyal, vocal fans full fare to watch them hobble out against Chivas USA tomorrow with nine key contributors away on international duty.
Here's what you face if you're an ambitious team in this deeply self-protecting soccer loop:
- Lots and lots of games. Regular season, U.S. Open or Voyaguers Cup, Super Liga with the Mexicans, CONCACAF Champions League, MLS playoffs.
- Tight financial restrictions. Even if you generate millions of dollars selling players, the league sharply limits what you can reinvest in on-field talent.
- Small roster. This murdered New England the other night, when they had no healthy forwards to send out in their 0-4 loss to Joe Public of Trinidad.
There are benefits, of course. MLS teams can't spend themselves to death, like the old NASL did. They also get access to a draft of incoming players, something North Americans take for granted, which would be considered bizarre – even illegal – in the rest of the world.
This whole Champions League thing blew in very quickly. MLSers started planning for this year not even knowing they might face a six-game international group stage overlapping the playoff stretch drive at home. The Revs just played nine games in a calendar month. They must secretly feel that their chances of returning to the MLS title game for a third-straight season are significantly higher, now that they don't have to tour Mexico, Honduras and Montreal.

Read more (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080905.WBsoccerblog20080905092633/WBStory/WBsoccerblog)

profit89
09-05-2008, 11:01 AM
God bless Ben !

jayeden
09-05-2008, 11:10 AM
hmmmm...

i usually like Ben's articles due to originality and 'non-dumbassery' approach...

but..

this article just sounds like the last 2 weeks of chatter on these boards..

rocker
09-05-2008, 11:21 AM
new england would never opt out.... they are seen as one of the cheapest organizations around (go over on bigsoccer and listen to the complaints about Kraft, the owner).

bangersandmash
09-05-2008, 11:27 AM
So, the Clubs like LA and TFC will leave the league, but still play in the league? Have better access to financial resources and freer spending conditions? And what will the fans of the other teams think? How about "why should I even show up!?"

Oldtimer
09-05-2008, 11:41 AM
We're in pure fantasy land this morning, folks.That about sums it up. NOT A CHANCE THIS COULD HAPPEN.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-05-2008, 11:49 AM
great idea to never happen.
VPjr is right too about New England.
Was the exact samething I htought when i read their name

flatpicker
09-05-2008, 11:57 AM
I see where he is going with this.
But if you give 'Carte Blanche' to certain teams so they can become spend-crazy then the gap between weak and strong will simply be too big.

I think the smartest thing to do is maintain control for the near future, but give increased spending freedom to teams who earn more revenue.

Create a flexible salary cap... maybe with a 3mil base and 7mil limit.
The league determines what size of cap each team works under based on individual revenue.

Also, I would expand the DP rule so that 2 spots are available per team (with a maximum of 3 per team acquired through trades).

With this, teams like TFC and LA would be able to field stronger teams.
Having the higher profile players playing for these 'elite' teams would boost league profile and increase fan turnout in the smaller markets.

Increased fan turnout would thus allow the small markets to grow and gradually afford a bigger cap for spending.

Step by step, and team by team, the league grows while still maintaining spending control.

As it grows stronger, the single entity restrictions could gradually be phased out.

ensco
09-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Ben's onto something.

Does McDonald's or Coca Cola (or you name the business) organize themselves around what's best for Columbus, when it conflicts with what's right for NY or LA?

The Galaxy have an even bigger gripe with MLS - all these teams benefit from the beckham effect, without paying for it. And, like for us, the cap means the Galaxy can't fix the fact that they suck.

Ben's being fantastical for dramatic effect, but he's bang on - something will give, sooner than later.

ensco
09-05-2008, 12:09 PM
As it grows stronger, the single entity restrictions could gradually be phased out.

those are some really good ideas flatpicker, but the above suggestion is like telling someone to get a little pregnant ;)

flatpicker
09-05-2008, 12:14 PM
^ I get what your saying... I just mean that there must be a lot of factors that go into the single entity format and perhaps they can be removed one at a time.

but if that's not the case (because I have no idea), then I guess once the league shows some strength then then the single entity would just be scrapped outright.

flatpicker
09-05-2008, 12:18 PM
To further expand my earlier post...

the way I see it, you can't treat all teams the same way.
It's like trying to teach all children in school with the same methods.
Some kids just don't 'get it' as easily as others, and therefore they need to be helped along a little slower.
But the smart kids (big clubs) should not be held back for the weakness of others.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Ben's being fantastical for dramatic effect, but he's bang on - something will give, sooner than later.

possibly already started with the mls calender changing on account of this saturdays games (may not change all of it, however there are still changes being possibly made)

Redcoe15
09-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Opt out of the league, but still play in the league? Sounds like something Jacques Parizeau might agree with.

Dub Narcotic
09-05-2008, 08:14 PM
NBA is the best structure to emulate. They have a soft cap, with exemptions for re-signing players (Bird rights) and a luxury tax for teams who want to go way over the limit. Add a Bird rights clause and two DP's per team, and I think we're good. Also, the cap minimum should be around $4M and the maximum around $5.5M, which the luxury tax kicking in arond $7 or $7.5M. This would let the big teams spend big, but not too big, the small teams spend small, but not too small and we can find something else to hate Don Garber for.

bangersandmash
09-05-2008, 08:16 PM
^ methinks Dub Narcotic should be next president of the league. Seriously, that's the most sensible thing I've read all day!