PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Friday , Sept.05

denime
09-05-2008, 06:31 AM
OMG, Very busy morning for me

Missing defence real nightmare for Toronto FC
'Every time I close my eyes I see one defender,' says TFC coach, minus nine players on Cup duty
MORGAN CAMPBELL

By now it's old news that World Cup qualifiers this weekend will deprive Toronto FC of nine of its top players, and have left the squad with just a lone defender – Marco Velez.
But TFC head coach John Carver says the scheduling conflict between MLS and FIFA has robbed him of something else.
His sleep.
"Every time I close my eyes I see one defender," Carver joked after yesterday's practices. "No left back ... no right back."
Hours later MLS deputy commissioner Ivan Gazidis delivered the news that help is on the way.
Just not this year.

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/491070)

MLS forced to review policy
Considering changes after Toronto FC and other teams plundered for international matches

By DEAN MCNULTY (dean.mcnulty@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA
The mess that Major League Soccer finds itself in this weekend with a number of teams -- including Toronto FC -- playing with depleted rosters because of international call-ups for World Cup qualifying games has forced league bosses to look at changing the rules for 2009, Sun Media has learned.
Sources inside the MLS office in New York told Sun Media this week that the league's competition committee meeting scheduled for later this month has re-jigged its agenda to sort out how to keep such international matches from disrupting games again next season.
"That will be the No. 1 item on the agenda," the source said.
This comes after Tom Anselmi -- COO at TFC's parent Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. -- personally called MLS deputy commissioner Ivan Gazidis to seek a postponement of tomorrow's game against Chivas USA at BMO Stadium.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/09/05/6666966-sun.html)

De Guzman: Honduras match like a final
THE CANADIAN PRESS

MONTREAL -- Julian de Guzman versus Jonathan de Guzman at the World Cup?
It's unlikely that it will ever happen, but the brothers from Toronto have played for different countries since Jonathan took Dutch citizenship in January and saw action for the Netherlands at the Beijing Olympics.

Julian is a star midfielder for the Canadian team that is to play a key World Cup qualifying match against Honduras at Saputo Stadium on Saturday (Sportsnet, 8 p.m. ET).

"He ended up playing for Holland at the Olympics, it doesn't mean he's locked down with the national team, " the 27-year-old Julian said Thursday of his 20-year-old brother. "But it's something we're not focused on.

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/09/04/deguzman_canada_honduras/)

Whitecaps loan defender to depleted TFC
Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today that defender Diaz Kambere has joined Major League Soccer side Toronto FC on a one-match loan deal.

Kambere, 22, will be available to play in Toronto FC's home game versus Chivas USA at BMO Field on Saturday afternoon. The Surrey, BC, resident - who was originally born in Kasese, Uganda – will return home following the MLS match in Toronto and be available for the Whitecaps USL First Division game versus Minnesota Thunder at Swangard Stadium on Sunday evening.

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/09/04/whitecaps_tfc_loan/)

Canada treating Honduras match as a must-win
SEAN GORDON
MONTREAL — Must-win, backs-to-the-wall, there-is-no-tomorrow – all the usual clichés apply to Canada's upcoming World Cup qualifying tilt against an experienced and attack-minded Honduras squad.
The stakes were evident during a spirited two-hour training session at Montreal's Stade Saputo in preparation for Saturday night's match.
“Every game is do-or-die, I think everyone believes this is a like a final for us. We're not in panic mode, but we know what has to be taken care of . . . we're going to have to go all out for 90 minutes,” said star midfielder Julian de Guzman, who plays his club football in Spain's top flight with Deportivo La Coruna.
Canada's national men's team has spent the bulk of this past week in Montreal training for the game, their second of six contests this fall that could move them a step closer to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
The game will be broadcast on Rogers Sportsnet, kickoff is at 8 p.m.
In order to progress to the next stage of qualifying, Canada must finish in the top two of a four-team CONCACAF group that also includes Mexico and Jamaica.
De Guzman said he expects a swashbuckling contest given Honduras' fondness for going forward, and said the keys to the game will be controlling the midfield, which will pit de Guzman against Toronto FC's Amado Guevara, and involving imposing Canadian target-men Rob Friend and Ali Gerba early in the game.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080904.wsptwcup0904/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Show us your support
Reds fans can play a big part

Toronto FC take on Chivas USA on Saturday at BMO Field. Kick Off is 4:00 p.m. live on CBC. With international duty and injuries leaving Toronto with a small squad, Reds coach John Carver has issued a rallying cry to supporters. "This game is no different for us; we want three points and we need the fans to get right behind the players and show support for them," said Carver. "These types of games give young players a chance to seize the day and challenge for more first team appearances. Every game at BMO Field has an atmosphere that energizes our players. This week will be no different!" The game provides an opportunity for younger players to get first team experience, and Canadians Tyler Rosenlund, Gabe Gala and Derek Gaudet will all be given an opportunity to shine. The Reds have been left short of players because of a combination of factors.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080904&content_id=185362&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Experienced players have key role
Carver looks toward Dichio, Velez and Harmse

Toronto FC coach John Carver is calling on his experienced players to lead by example in Saturday's clash against Chivas USA at BMO Field (kick off 4:00 p.m. live on CBC). The Reds are looking for revenge after last week's defeat at Chivas, and with players unavailable through international duty and injuries, Carver knows the experienced players have a key role to play supporting the younger members of the squad. "Danny Dichio has not had a great deal of playing time lately, but I'm expecting him to step up to the plate," said Carver. "Marco Velez has got a lot of experience and Kevin Harmse has played in the league a long time now. They are three players down the spine of the team who can help some of the other players through. You never know how kids will do until you throw them in at the deep end, but they're all part of this club so I would expect them to go out there and handle the situation."

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080904&content_id=185359&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Barrett on contract extension
Striker wants to stay long term

Toronto FC striker Chad Barrett is looking forward to a long stay in Toronto after signing a four year contract extension Wednesday. Barrett has scored two goals since his move from Chicago Fire in July, and is loving life at BMO Field. "In my first month here everything has been good," said Barrett. "There's been a good impression left on me by the city, the team and the coaching staff and I know I can develop my career here. I felt it was the best thing for me to do right now. I'm very happy to be part of this organization. The players and coaching staff around me can help me develop. One pre-season with these guys will help me get into shape. It's great working with Paul Winsper and it has really helped me so far."

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080904&content_id=185458&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

TFC, Chivas ready to clash yet again
One week after match in Los Angeles, teams meet at BMO Field

TORONTO FC vs. CHIVAS USA
Sept. 6, 2008 | 4 p.m. ET (TeleFutura; CBC; FSN-PT)

Toronto FC and Chivas USA play the back end of their home-and-home series over two weekends when they meet at BMO Field, after a last-gasp goal gave Chivas a 2-1 victory last Saturday at The Home Depot Center. But the teams will look very different than a week ago. Toronto FC will see no fewer than nine absences to international duty, leaving John Carver in a real selection quandary. Chivas faces a couple of international absences as well as key injuries, with the three points vital for both teams in their playoff hopes.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080904&content_id=185422&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html)

Carter
09-05-2008, 06:36 AM
Thanks Denime work is barable again this morning because of you.

BuSaPuNk
09-05-2008, 06:40 AM
Thanks Denime work is barable again this morning because of you.

I second that....

bdrs
09-05-2008, 06:59 AM
Always coming thru in a pinch Denime...
ty for the news, can you play defence?

scooter
09-05-2008, 07:03 AM
mornin denime tks again

Tintin
09-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Show us your support
Reds fans can play a big part

Toronto FC take on Chivas USA on Saturday at BMO Field. Kick Off is 4:00 p.m. live on CBC. With international duty and injuries leaving Toronto with a small squad, Reds coach John Carver has issued a rallying cry to supporters. "This game is no different for us; we want three points and we need the fans to get right behind the players and show support for them," said Carver. "These types of games give young players a chance to seize the day and challenge for more first team appearances. Every game at BMO Field has an atmosphere that energizes our players. This week will be no different!" The game provides an opportunity for younger players to get first team experience, and Canadians Tyler Rosenlund, Gabe Gala and Derek Gaudet will all be given an opportunity to shine. The Reds have been left short of players because of a combination of factors.

That article makes me mad. We have showned the support for 2 years!!! best crowd in the MLS. The line: We need the fans to get behind the palyers, especially makes me mad.

When is TFC going to show that they support and respect the fans by winning or at leat with a quality product.

Am I the only one offended by these Carver comments? Is it a sign the TFC fears that they might start losing fan support because of the poor results?

Ossington Mental Youth
09-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Yes you are.
Go to one of the many other threads that discuss this topic.
Saturdays game is not a result of MLSE bringing in talent, its a matter of MLS refusing to abide by the fifa calender like the rest of the world. There was a thread about this yesterday. You posted in it.

that being said
I wonder if theres any truth to the sun article

Tintin
09-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Yes you are.
Go to one of the many other threads that discuss this topic.
Saturdays game is not a result of MLSE bringing in talent, its a matter of MLS refusing to abide by the fifa calender like the rest of the world. There was a thread about this yesterday. You posted in it.

that being said
I wonder if theres any truth to the sun article

I understand that. I am just saying that there is no reason to ask for fan support since it is already there!

rocker
09-05-2008, 07:49 AM
i think the TFC article is responding to some of the comments in the threads recently where people say they aren't gonna go to the game as a protest... or they aren't going to cheer because it's a "reserve" game.

Tintin
09-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Really, they read the comments. Wow! Ok, i get it but I still think they people will show up and cheer anyway since its not TFC's fault that they are short players.

Oldtimer
09-05-2008, 08:01 AM
I hope that the Sun article is indeed true.

In 1998, MLS didn't have to consider international dates, as so few of their players were of international quality. Now it's a BIG issue with the US National team and other countries' teams internationals being in MLS. It's not just about teams being decimated like TFC, it's also about the league missing opportunities for their most marketable players to play.

Last year, it was already time for the league to make the switch to respecting FIFA dates. Each year it will become more and more urgent.

Tintin
09-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Agreed Oldtimer. I don't know why MLS is so stuburn about this issue?

Ossington Mental Youth
09-05-2008, 08:08 AM
I understand that. I am just saying that there is no reason to ask for fan support since it is already there!

my mistake, i apologize.
I was thinking you were complaining about the actual product on the field (IE I HATE CARVER/MO/MLSE threads).

Still gotta say im not insulted. I suspect its a result of alot of people going to the game in Montreal and the fact that there isnt going to be alot of big names on the field to sell to the casual player (not that theyd notice anyways).

Roogsy
09-05-2008, 08:20 AM
For a bigwig like Anselmi to call up the 2nd in charge at MLS...that is a good thing. And the reason some people around here need to check their MLSE hatred. MLSE have some pull and despite the fact that it didn't result in the postponement like we would have wanted, I hope it really is true that it made them take notice.

Shakes McQueen
09-05-2008, 08:25 AM
For a bigwig like Anselmi to call up the 2nd in charge at MLS...that is a good thing. And the reason some people around here need to check their MLSE hatred. MLSE have some pull and despite the fact that it didn't result in the postponement like we would have wanted, I hope it really is true that it made them take notice.

Exactly. Stop with all of the "ML$E" nonsense. Yeah, they are forever going to try and wring every last drop of cash out of their customers - but they have also gone to bat for the club over this situation, when they didn't have to.

It means they give a shit about the success of the club.

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
09-05-2008, 08:27 AM

im sure its our situation coupled with the losses in the champions league (i know it seems to be a nonsequitur but following the fifa calender would lessen the strain on teams partaking in other international tournaments, ie Champions league, lets hope they review the cap/roster situation as well)

Ossington Mental Youth
09-05-2008, 08:27 AM
also Beckhams playing in the league now and noone wants to watch the MLS without Secksy Becksy

Roogsy
09-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Exactly. Stop with all of the "ML$E" nonsense. Yeah, they are forever going to try and wring every last drop of cash out of their customers - but they have also gone to bat for the club over this situation, when they didn't have to.

It means they give a shit about the success of the club.

- Scott

Yeah, like it's a big surprise they want to win money. Like them making money and us winning is somehow mutuaully exclusive. I don't give a shit if they want to make money...let them. I know I want my investments to make money as well. What I do care about is whether they put a winner on the pitch. And right now, we don't have that...so that is what I will be uspet about...not whether Peddie gets his friggin' bonus.

Mark in Ottawa
09-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Busy morning indeed. Thanks Demine & have a great weekend!

Shakes McQueen
09-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Yeah, like it's a big surprise they want to win money. Like them making money and us winning is somehow mutuaully exclusive. I don't give a shit if they want to make money...let them. I know I want my investments to make money as well. What I do care about is whether they put a winner on the pitch. And right now, we don't have that...so that is what I will be uspet about...not whether Peddie gets his friggin' bonus.

I'm confused - I thought we agreed? haha.

- Scott

S_D
09-05-2008, 08:53 AM
from the star article

The easiest way to circumvent those conflicts, Gazidis said, would be to schedule more games on weeknights, but he also said league officials prefer weekend games because they're easier to attend, especially for families with children.
But if the rest of the league were more like Toronto, where games sell out any day of the week, Gazidis said the league, the players and coaches like Carver would all have fewer headaches.

The more MLS opens their mouths about this the more inept they sound. It is a TFC home game so they COULD have scheduled this game mid week and yet they didn't. Last time I heard TFC was the primary tenant of BMO :rolleyes:

denime
09-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Busy morning indeed. Thanks Demine & have a great weekend!

Thanks,I hope I will have great weekend.All I need is 3+3 ;
TFC to take 3 points and after that CMNT 3 point and great weekend will be perfect.:canada:

Ossington Mental Youth
09-05-2008, 09:17 AM
not to toot my own horn but i mentioned in a previous thread that i had hoped that this game on sat would force the league to revisit their stance on the fifa calender and that it would be a slow move over, which having finally read those articles, looks like it may happen.
(patting myself on the back, HA)

Martin Groove
09-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Barcelona Set To Join MLS?

FC Barcelona have had preliminary talks with the MLS about expanding their empire to the United States with the creation of a sister team in Miami, Florida.

Is Lionel Messi about to move to Miami on a free transfer?

Maybe not quite yet. But, according to a report from Univision, steps are being made by La Liga team Barcelona to expand its reach to the US by creating a sister team in Miami. The team would be named something along the lines of "Barcelona USA."

more at:
http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=849968

Ossington Mental Youth
09-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Talks about that forever, doubt itll happen

Shakes McQueen
09-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Barcelona Set To Join MLS?

FC Barcelona have had preliminary talks with the MLS about expanding their empire to the United States with the creation of a sister team in Miami, Florida.

Is Lionel Messi about to move to Miami on a free transfer?

Maybe not quite yet. But, according to a report from Univision, steps are being made by La Liga team Barcelona to expand its reach to the US by creating a sister team in Miami. The team would be named something along the lines of "Barcelona USA."

more at:
http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=849968

Now THIS is a cool idea for both expanding the league's fan base, and lending it some legitimacy.

- Scott

greatwhitenorf
09-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Now THIS is a cool idea for both expanding the league's fan base, and lending it some legitimacy.

- Scott

Nonsense.

Tampa Bay Rowdies and Fort Lauderdale Strikers forged quite solid identities without anyone lending them assistance during the heyday of the NASL.

Florida has plenty of soccer fans and corporate support available, enough to make more than one team work. MLS just has to get them damn hurricanes to stay away during the playing season.

Besides, FC Barcelona already have their academy up and running with Arsene Wenger in North London. It's called Barcenal.