PDA

View Full Version : Whitecaps FC to hold MLS Rally

Cashcleaner
09-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Just got a correspondence from the Whitecaps front office tonight:

Dear Craig,

As you are aware, we are pursuing one of two Major League Soccer (MLS) expansion franchises set to be added to the league by 2011. The deadline to submit our bid is October 15th and part of the requirements is to demonstrate local enthusiasm and support.

Our next match on September 7th at 7:00 pm will be "MLS Rally Night". You can be a part of our MLS Bid Book. All fans attending the match will receive a special Whitecaps Rally Card and will be ‘extras’ in audio/visual material that we produce for our official bid package that we send to MLS head office.

Tickets start at just $18 or enter to win free tickets by telling us why you think we should have an MLS franchise.

If you are already going to the game, pass along the word to your friends. Let’s pack Swangard with Whitecaps supporters and show MLS that the Whitecaps belong in the league!

Sounds to me like the Whitecaps are doing all the right things for MLS entry. Things like spreading the word and getting the locals pumped at the prospect of top-flight soccer. Of course, it leads me to ask what exactly is Montreal doing?

TheRenter
09-03-2008, 11:30 PM
good luck to them, can't wait to hat'em just as much as i do L'gimpact

Brooker
09-04-2008, 12:58 AM
Portland deserves to be the next western team over the Shitecaps.

just sayin'.

WHITEY
09-04-2008, 03:30 AM

just sayin'.

How does Portland deserve to be in over Vancouver?

just askin'.

TorCanSoc
09-04-2008, 04:17 AM
Not sure a rally is going be as as effective as more concrete business related things. Like getting city approvals for a stadium. And.... and.... and... ok that's all I got :)

Seriously, Montreal's got the stadium expansion lined up, they're having a great run in the CONCACAF Champion's League, they've won USL-1 championships, and believe it or not TFC helps their bid via a huge huge rivalry. IMO Montreal's the obvious choice.

BuSaPuNk
09-04-2008, 06:12 AM
Montreal and Vancouver should both be in the MLS. It only makes sense for Garber and his goons. They have made a great choice here in TO. Vancouver and Montreal already have good attendance and a great fan base. I can't wait for a Montreal v Toronto Derby. Only makes sense. And who cares about Portland.....there people probably think there getting a pointy ball team. There fans show up and a soccer game breaks out.....they will be lost.....lmao....

Angelo1405
09-04-2008, 08:04 AM

just askin'.

stadium, support, attendance, market, etc.

werewolf
09-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Support and Attendance maybe, but not the stadium, especially if Vancouver get their waterfront stadium (which would be essential to getting a team), Vancouver is a bigger market too.

arbogast
09-04-2008, 08:12 AM

just sayin'.

I totally agree.

The Timbers have waaayyy better support and a better stadium plan and despite what Shitecaps fans think, Portland are Seattle's true rivals and would bring a great derby in to the league.

Tintin
09-04-2008, 08:16 AM
I totally agree.

The Timbers have waaayyy better support and a better stadium plan and despite what Shitecaps fans think, Portland are Seattle's true rivals and would bring a great derby in to the league.

Vancouver has a great stadium plan:

1) move to BC place while Waterfront stadium is being build

2) Waterfront stadium

As for fan support, if you build it , they will come.

arbogast
09-04-2008, 08:23 AM

2) Waterfront stadium

Sorry but the waterfront stadium is going nowhere fast.
it's mired in red tape and City council isn't moving on the issue.

BC place is bullshit. even with the proposed improvements, it's not an SSS, will have fieldturf (Portland will have an all grass SSS) and has a poor atmosphere. Seattle, for all it's success, should not have been allowed to play in a Gridiron Football stadium either. If Van City is serious, it should find another location for an SSS fast and get some fans out to their games.

Shaughno
09-04-2008, 08:30 AM

2) Waterfront stadium

Portland always has been a top contender in the USL. They have great history dating back to every major league that has been around in the US, including NASL. They are considered to have one of the best supporters groups in their league.

Why again should Vancouver get a team? Aside from being Canadian? Give me Montreal and Portland and I'd be happy.

fetajr
09-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Vancouver and Montreal all the way.. more Canadian teams will benefit our national football... since their is no professional league strictly Canadian.

look at the big picture

Shaughno
09-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Vancouver and Montreal all the way.. more Canadian teams will benefit our national football... since their is no professional league strictly Canadian.

look at the big picture

I am looking at the big picture. Portland is a bigger and better organization than the Whitecaps. That's better for the league. Do you really believe there is enough Canadian talent to have three strong Canadian MLS teams? I'm not so sure personally.

Troll
09-04-2008, 08:47 AM

One word.

Grizzlies.

Cashcleaner
09-04-2008, 11:08 AM

2) Waterfront stadium

The stadium is going elsewhere last thing I heard. I think they're gonna put it out in the suburbs (can't remember the name of the town). Luckily they're making sure it's on a transit line, though.

Torcida
09-04-2008, 11:13 AM
I'd rather have Portland than Vancouver in the league, I could care less for Vancouver.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-04-2008, 11:18 AM
I hope Vancouver and Montreal get in, but their respective FOs need to become more receptive to supporters' groups. MLS needs to be firm with this issue, as there are already too many teams that cater solely to the family crowd.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-04-2008, 11:42 AM

just sayin'.

agreed....let the caps sit on the fence for a few years....Montreal first as the next Canadian city....Caps in 2015!!

Richard D
09-04-2008, 12:09 PM
I can see MLS heads watching the video of the crazy fans...

"Next up we have the Whitecaps"

"Screw them, lets move onto another city"

"Lets just watch this video first"

*press play*

"Wow, are those fans going crazy and waving MLS signs!"

"Ya"

"Shit, lets grant them a franchise"

LOL

Like someone mentioned already, I think its going to be more concrete shit like city/stadium business related items that will get you a franchise...

Parkdale
09-04-2008, 12:28 PM
no matter how much they want one....

Until the 2010 Olympics are done, nothing else in the world of sports will matter to most people in Vancouver. Every construction worker is busy on the highway, stadiums and hotel construction. I can't see anything happening in Whitecap land until the winter games are gone.

CanuckPete
09-04-2008, 12:30 PM
One word.

Grizzlies.

The Grizzlies would have been fine if the NBA (read: David Stern) hadn't forced Stu Jackson on them.

olegunnar
09-04-2008, 12:36 PM

just sayin'.

I'd argue St Louis since it's a bigger market but I think Portland would win out because 1) theres a successful history there and 2) it would be yet another good USL franchise MLS would steal.

I get that everyone wants Canadian teams in MLS, but we don't bring much to the table. Do we draw more fans at away matches than American teams? Nope. Do we get ESPN calling up MLS saying hey lets renegoiate the National television contract here in the US and give you more $$$$ since people in LA want to watch Toronto vs Montreal? Nope. Would CBC then assign a proportionally larger increase to MLS tv rights. Nope not while we get ratings of 40,000 people watching. Foxsports Northwest would probably pay more to do a Portland vs Seattle (with henry) game than CBC would pay for all the Canadian games.

From a $$ (and that's what the league is, a business) point of view I don't think Canadian teams bring a lot to the table.

OneLoveOneEric
09-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Havng lived in Vancouver for 4 years, I can say there is nothing Vancouverites love more than clamouring for something and then not supporting it. Grizzlies were a disaster. Canucks tickets were easy to buy on game day for many years, and probably will be again now that the team sucks again. The Vancouver Canadians (baseball) even left for the USA. I wouldn't have much faith at all about a team surviving out there.
I'd also wonder why any sane supporter would want ot be a part of MLS the way it is right now..... a completely poisoned chalice if you ask me.

Vindaloo
09-04-2008, 01:51 PM

just sayin'.

Can you please explain why? I'd love to hear this.

Well...let's see anyway.

- Whitecaps FC have solid plans to build their own stadium with private money. Temporarily it will play in $200m refurbished BC Place.

- They currently have the oldest club in North America.

- Solid investors.

- Backing by civic and Provincial governments.

- Historical fanbase. League champions 5 times.

- Local television coverage.

...and Portland? At this point it only has fans.

giambac
09-04-2008, 01:57 PM

2) Waterfront stadium

I won't go.

I personnaly hope neither Montreal or Vancouver get a team This way we can say TFC is the best Canadaian team in the MLS.:canada:

If Montreal or Vancouver get a team than we will hav eto settle for being the 3rd best Canadain team in the MLS:mad:

Vindaloo
09-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Havng lived in Vancouver for 4 years, I can say there is nothing Vancouverites love more than clamouring for something and then not supporting it. Grizzlies were a disaster. Canucks tickets were easy to buy on game day for many years, and probably will be again now that the team sucks again. The Vancouver Canadians (baseball) even left for the USA. I wouldn't have much faith at all about a team surviving out there.
I'd also wonder why any sane supporter would want ot be a part of MLS the way it is right now..... a completely poisoned chalice if you ask me.

You obviously didn't live there long enough. The Whitecaps have a great history and fan support in Vancouver. In fact they are only 4 years younger than the Canucks(albeit with two different ownerships). The team is not in the top flight of the sport hence it's popularity isn't as it once was. With an MLS franchise you can bet that Vancouver supporters will be behind the team as much as you would see in Toronto, perhaps more. Football and Vancouver is and always has been joined at the hip. I thought everyone knew this.

Richard D
09-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Grizzlies

OneLoveOneEric
09-04-2008, 03:01 PM
You obviously didn't live there long enough. The Whitecaps have a great history and fan support in Vancouver. In fact they are only 4 years younger than the Canucks(albeit with two different ownerships). The team is not in the top flight of the sport hence it's popularity isn't as it once was. With an MLS franchise you can bet that Vancouver supporters will be behind the team as much as you would see in Toronto, perhaps more. Football and Vancouver is and always has been joined at the hip. I thought everyone knew this.

Maybe so. I can't actually speak for the Whitecaps, but I'll believe it when I see it. The Pacific Mausoleum used to be horrendous for a hockey game, and nothing seemed to keep the Canadians at Nat Bailey.....

Vindaloo
09-04-2008, 03:06 PM
I think there is a big difference between a team that Vancouverites have supported since 1974 with a sport they have always supported to that of an American basketball franchise. It was never a good fit. The baseball thing was never going to be anything other than a minor league team playing out of tiny Nat Bailey stadium, which it still does.

Vancouver has never been big enough to support big league franchises like Toronto. It's only big enough to support NHL, CFL, and the Whitecaps. It's been like this for decades and won't change any time soon. In other words, MSL is a perfect fit for Vancouver. Anyone from there would tell you the same thing.

WHITEY
09-04-2008, 03:13 PM
I think there is a big difference between a team that Vancouverites have supported since 1974 with a sport they have always supported to that of an American basketball franchise. It was never a good fit. The baseball thing was never going to be anything other than a minor league team playing out of tiny Nat Bailey stadium, which it still does.

Vancouver has never been big enough to support big league franchises like Toronto. It's only big enough to support NHL, CFL, and the Whitecaps. It's been like this for decades and won't change any time soon. In other words, MSL is a perfect fit for Vancouver. Anyone from there would tell you the same thing.

Bang on! I was born and raised in Vancouver and i couldn't agree more with your comments.

Cashcleaner
09-04-2008, 03:36 PM

That's what I've always assumed. Vancouver isn't a huge city by any stretch of North American standards, but soccer has been played there professionally for over 20 years and there is a very comfortable sports trifecta in place with the Canucks playing in fall, winter, and spring; Lions playing in summer, spring, and early winter; and Whitecaps playing spring, summer, and fall.

Brooker
09-04-2008, 04:01 PM

just askin'.

You're from Vancouver. I'm not surprised you don't think Portland should be first in line. I'm not gonna try to convince you. Keep thinkin' Portland is nothing special compared to Vancouver and we can have a laugh when the Timbers are MLS and the Whitecaps are still in limbo.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Portland ...Montreal....see you in 2011!

james
09-04-2008, 04:14 PM
no matter how much they want one....

Until the 2010 Olympics are done, nothing else in the world of sports will matter to most people in Vancouver. Every construction worker is busy on the highway, stadiums and hotel construction. I can't see anything happening in Whitecap land until the winter games are gone.

ya probably another reason why whitecaps wont be getting a new stadium any time soon. And id hate to see them play at shitty BC Place.

Give Montreal and Portland a team. Give Vancover a team once they have sorted there stadium and shit out!

james
09-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Just got a correspondence from the Whitecaps front office tonight:
Sounds to me like the Whitecaps are doing all the right things for MLS entry. Things like spreading the word and getting the locals pumped at the prospect of top-flight soccer. Of course, it leads me to ask what exactly is Montreal doing?

Montreal are selling out 13,000 seat stadium almost every single match this year. Montreal probably dont even need a rally to make awareness of there team pushing for MLS, most people in Montreal are probably already well aware of Montreal Impact. They also got a stadium and owners with shit loads of money......i think they got more then Vancouver has got.

WHITEY
09-04-2008, 04:32 PM
You're from Vancouver. I'm not surprised you don't think Portland should be first in line. I'm not gonna try to convince you. Keep thinkin' Portland is nothing special compared to Vancouver and we can have a laugh when the Timbers are MLS and the Whitecaps are still in limbo.

Born and raised in Vancouver, living in Toronto for the past 5 years...I grew up watching the Whitecaps/86ers play, HOWEVER, TFC is the team I support now and will support until the end!

I don't think I ever said Portland was "nothing special" I just asked a question as to why Portland over Vancouver is all. Hey man, if Portland gets in over Vancouver no skin of my sack; I live in Toronto now and support TFC.

james
09-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Born and raised in Vancouver, living in Toronto for the past 5 years...I grew up watching the Whitecaps/86ers play, HOWEVER, TFC is the team I support now and will support until the end!

I don't think I ever said Portland was "nothing special" I just asked a question as to why Portland over Vancouver is all. Hey man, if Portland gets in over Vancouver no skin of my sack; I live in Toronto now and support TFC.

for me i want Portland to get a team over Vancouver. Dont get me wrong i want Vancouver to get a team. Just not yet. They can't seem to get there stadium shit together. And i hate teams playing Socccer in these shitty football stadiums that are way to big for there fans. Where it seems Portland just need to build 1 stand on there stadium to make it look like a Pro soccer stadium. And not to mention Portland deffinitly has better supporters right now, the best in USL-1 in my opinion.

Redcoe15
09-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Montreal is ahead of Vancouver in the chase for a team because they already have a soccer specific stadium in place. I hope Vancouver gets its act together and lets Kerfoot build his stadium. Montreal and Vancouver will be great for MLS as well as St. Louis and Portland.

But, like all things in life, money talks. If New York Mets owner Fred Wilpon is able to get the green light to build a SSS next door to his new ballpark then MLS gives New York a second franchise for which the fans can completely ignore like the first one. :banghead:

james
09-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Montreal is ahead of Vancouver in the chase for a team because they already have a soccer specific stadium in place. I hope Vancouver gets its act together and lets Kerfoot build his stadium. Montreal and Vancouver will be great for MLS as well as St. Louis and Portland.

But, like all things in life, money talks. If New York Mets owner Fred Wilpon is able to get the green light to build a SSS next door to his new ballpark then MLS gives New York a second franchise for which the fans can completely ignore like the first one. :banghead:

i think alot of people have ignored the New York Red Bulls for a few reasons. One is because the stadium isn't in New York City...its in East Rutherford a ways out of the city. Another is because the stadium they play in is Giant stadium and its jsut wayyyy to big for a MLS team to be playing in and it creates a bad atmosphere. Also because the team plays half there games on NFL gridline field. And i think lastly, the fact that team ownership and name has changed which im sure didn't help.

However i think New York attendence should pick up at there new Red Bull Park because first off its a dam nice Soccer stadium and another reason is it's closer to New York City and is apparently on a good transit route.

As for if New York was to get a 2nd team and they play right in New York City, i have no doubt they would be very sucessfull.....but only if they play in New York City. Another team in New Jersey or the Suburbs would be worse off then New York Red Bulls are now!

profit89
09-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Portland and Montreal i think

profit89
09-04-2008, 08:42 PM
i think alot of people have ignored the New York Red Bulls for a few reasons. One is because the stadium isn't in New York City...its in East Rutherford a ways out of the city. Another is because the stadium they play in is Giant stadium and its jsut wayyyy to big for a MLS team to be playing in and it creates a bad atmosphere. Also because the team plays half there games on NFL gridline field. And i think lastly, the fact that team ownership and name has changed which im sure didn't help.

However i think New York attendence should pick up at there new Red Bull Park because first off its a dam nice Soccer stadium and another reason is it's closer to New York City and is apparently on a good transit route.

As for if New York was to get a 2nd team and they play right in New York City, i have no doubt they would be very sucessfull.....but only if they play in New York City. Another team in New Jersey or the Suburbs would be worse off then New York Red Bulls are now!

A team in Queens would be nuts eh..

New York City FC

Corcai
09-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Giambac...GFY.

Vancouver should not get a team. Lets not dilute the MLS any more than Kansas City, Salt Lake, and Columbus have done. Toronto and Montreal make good rivals to those in the east, NE, Chicago, NY as we already have rivalries against them in hockey. Vancouver cannot support a team and does not deserve an MLS squad ( more than Columbus, but fuck Columbus doesn't deserve an MLS squad).

Montreal Yes. Vancouver No. Vancouver can only support a stoned hacky sack team for about 15 minutes until they get bored and start looking for their strung out hookers.

GhostPK
09-05-2008, 01:11 AM

just sayin'.

Hey... being from BC.... give me something to be hated for :D Bring it WhiteCraps!

GhostPK
09-05-2008, 01:14 AM
Giambac...GFY.

Vancouver should not get a team. Lets not dilute the MLS any more than Kansas City, Salt Lake, and Columbus have done. Toronto and Montreal make good rivals to those in the east, NE, Chicago, NY as we already have rivalries against them in hockey. Vancouver cannot support a team and does not deserve an MLS squad ( more than Columbus, but fuck Columbus doesn't deserve an MLS squad).

Montreal Yes. Vancouver No. Vancouver can only support a stoned hacky sack team for about 15 minutes until they get bored and start looking for their strung out hookers.

Hey hey hey, easy now. Vancouver is a much better team then seperatists. Lets not forget that they played a decent game and tied us 2-2 as well as beat us (with help from the ref) whereas Montreal limped their way into CONCACAF by losing to us then tying us. I mean Montreal is in its "own country" within our country. Should they really be considered Canadian at all? I understand the whole derby thing, however sports here in Canada... every canadian team is a derby match.

fetajr
09-05-2008, 12:02 PM
I am looking at the big picture. Portland is a bigger and better organization than the Whitecaps. That's better for the league. Do you really believe there is enough Canadian talent to have three strong Canadian MLS teams? I'm not so sure personally.

at there moment there is not enough prime Canadian talent for all 3 to exist, but that's talking about the present. 3 teams in Canada would be a plus for the future since blue chip kids and youth will have more teams to play for. What has always been the question that gets asked when talking about the issues with football in Canada?... no pro league with teams that our youth can eventually get to.

I vote Vancouver and Montreal all the way. In Vancouver's case, there is no sense looking at their lack of support or less than competent ownership. Toronto has proven that you don't need minor league soccer support in order to have major league support... remember the Toronto Lynx???.. shitty support, but the main reason all of the pessimists wrote TFC off since day one saying "Torontonians have and will never support a soccer franchise" . And as for competent ownership?? MLSE?..please..they only know how to make money and don't have a clue what it takes to build a winner...which proves you don't need stellar ownership either. Isn't Steve Nash a Whitecap stakeholder?

why so much resentment between alot of Vancouverites and Torontonians?

greatwhitenorf
09-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Montreal has the support, the stadium, the winning tradition and none of the wimpy, tree-hugging, dope-smokin', limp-wristed, fey kinda support Wankouver has.

And. They don't have the Wankouver mafia of Lenny Bobbarduzzi, Les Wilson, and all the rest of the public-trough-snuffling CSA soccer whores who think the game owes them something.

Montreal has a proper bastard of a coach in John Limniatis, who has taken his team where we and Wankouver can only dream of - the Concachacha Champions League group stage. Fuck me, they get Cancun away on Thanksgiving. They've outdrawn the Hubcaps by about 2-1 for several years and have won titles regularly.

Nothing short of electroshock or hostages will bring Wankouver's stadium on line. Leave the dozy prats to figure it out for themselves. Get in the team that has it going on. It'll be good to see TFC have to cope with a proper rival.

RealG-TFC
09-05-2008, 07:08 PM
^^ What?!?

egoodwin
09-05-2008, 07:18 PM
faking a tifo won't get Vancouver into the MLS...

windsorlad111
09-05-2008, 08:22 PM
I vote for any team that is closer to TO. It would make for better away trips and better visits from opposing fans. I can't wait til the day when there is a big section of away fans CHALLENGING US to a shouting match.

jloome
09-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Montreal are selling out 13,000 seat stadium almost every single match this year. Montreal probably dont even need a rally to make awareness of there team pushing for MLS, most people in Montreal are probably already well aware of Montreal Impact. They also got a stadium and owners with shit loads of money......i think they got more then Vancouver has got.

Montreal "sells out" that many because it gives away 6,000-7,000 per game, or at least it did for several years. That may have actually worked and transferred into paying ticket holders by now. But for years it was propped up by giving free tickets to major sponsors, including the provincial government.