PDA

View Full Version : Barrett signs 4 year extension

ensco
09-03-2008, 03:50 PM
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080903&content_id=185192&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

David_Oliveira
09-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Just got it on my cell aswell

H Bomb
09-03-2008, 03:52 PM
hey that's great. I'm glad to hear that.

Cambridge_Red
09-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Best news this team has had for a while..

denime
09-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Finally one good news from TFC.

giambac
09-03-2008, 03:59 PM
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080903&content_id=185192&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

This move I am okay with.

He is a young player with alot of upside.

good move Mo.

Shaughno
09-03-2008, 04:00 PM
This move I am okay with.

He is a young player with alot of upside.

good move Mo.

I do believe this was Barrett's decision to re-sign with the MLS. ;)

Fort York Redcoat
09-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Wow. It sounds like good news. Let's get the ball to him now.

Eastend
09-03-2008, 04:06 PM
good news....technically it is an extension with the mls and not necessarily TFC right?

Maple Leaf Red
09-03-2008, 04:10 PM
great news. I can't wait for next year when giambac starts using Barrett as an example of Carver's stupidity.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 04:10 PM
the buiding continues.....now get Ibby to sign a long term deal hes a fine prospect and should be tied up.

TFC07
09-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Okay signing I guess....He still young and got potential to become a very good striker in MLS.

ensco
09-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Hang on a second people. Barrett's looked OK so far, but let's not overdo it. If this was such an obvious great move, why didn't Chicago do it?

To evaluate this, we'd need to know (i) what he's getting paid - he was on $53K so it's likely a big raise - are you still OK with it if he's on $200K+?... (ii) what happens if he doesn't pan out - do we pay him for 4 years no matter what? If not, how does the cap space work? and ....(iii) say he has a blowout season next year - what are his outs, if any?

I suspect this has more to do with how TFC/MLS get paid if Barrett is sold, than anything else.

Keyman
09-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Barrett is always going to be one of those strikers that people have high hopes for, because of his obvious potential and tools. However I never really see him putting it all together. Hopefully I'm wrong, because if Barrett were to improve it would be fantastic for Toronto, but I just don't think he can put it all together.

At this point he's not reliable enough to be a starting striker for an MLS club, just a back up.

olegunnar
09-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Hang on a second people. Barrett's looked OK so far, but let's not overdo it. If this was such an obvious great move, why didn't Chicago do it?

To evaluate this, we'd need to know (i) what he's getting paid - he was on $53K so it's likely a big raise - are you still OK with it if he's on $200K+?... (ii) what happens if he doesn't pan out - do we pay him for 4 years no matter what? If not, how does the cap space work? and ....(iii) say he has a blowout season next year - what are his outs, if any?

I suspect this has more to do with how TFC/MLS get paid if Barrett is sold, than anything else.

I believe the standard, and big bruva has backed this up, is 2 year guarenteed and 2 years as the club's option.

So it's not really a 4 year deal, it could be a 4 year deal so it mitigates the risk....which is why I think MLS took this approach to contracts.

Damien
09-03-2008, 04:30 PM
I remember someone had mentioned Barrett's desire to test Euro waters... so i'm pretty happy he's staying.... not to say he would have done well in any top flight pro league.

jloome
09-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Barrett is always going to be one of those strikers that people have high hopes for, because of his obvious potential and tools. However I never really see him putting it all together. Hopefully I'm wrong, because if Barrett were to improve it would be fantastic for Toronto, but I just don't think he can put it all together.

At this point he's not reliable enough to be a starting striker for an MLS club, just a back up.

I think you're right on this, although he could be a late bloomer. Most don't peak until 27, so if he's got 8-10 a year now, maybe by then he cuts out the boneheaded stuff and nets 20 in his last year for us

SilverSamurai
09-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Finally something good!

ManUtd4ever
09-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Barrett was already a steal and now we've locked him up for a while. Good news for a change!

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Awesome four more years of "crampy". Not really sure this is such a good thing.

jrey
09-03-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm a little skeptical, but I guess we'll see how this pans out. He is young, I guess.

tfc_4_ever
09-03-2008, 07:02 PM
great news.

He was a steal for us

trane
09-03-2008, 07:16 PM
The way I see it at worst Barrett is a good depth striker. He has been OK so far but he does not seem to be the long term solution. I like the signing but it should be kept in perspective.

TFC-Tyler
09-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Good for him, wanting to stay in Toronto.

Chevy
09-03-2008, 10:35 PM

Very true - Great signing at under $150k. Good at under $200. Over $200, I'm not so sure....

David_Oliveira
09-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Has had some fitness issues, but come next season, I believe it will be different. I'm going to wait until we find out how much this is going to cost us before making a comment on the signing

BuSaPuNk
09-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Great signing. Good news for once. Hopefully he can play as well as his potential.

Cobblers
09-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Let's keep in mind at 23 he's already 7th in the league in scoring this year. A bit more development and some much needed conditioning and I think he's definitely a consistent top 10 striker in the MLS. This is not a depth striker but a starter in the MLS. He's also shown in the few games that he's been here that he's one of the hardest working players we've got. Obviously the terms of the deal need to be looked at to fully assess the deal put it sounds positive...

Tintin
09-04-2008, 07:47 AM
That is exactly the type of signing TFC shoul always do. A good mid range North American player who wont go to Europe an dwont be called up by the national team. He brings stability to the team. In MLS to be successfull, you need 4 or 5 guys like that, tha stay on your tem for 4-5 years. Then you add 2-3 older imports and 2-3 up and coming North Americans that might leave to Europe eventually (EDU, Wynne).

That's how your 11 should be build...

Great signing!

Shaughno
09-04-2008, 07:53 AM
That is exactly the type of signing TFC shoul always do. A good mid range North American player who wont go to Europe an dwont be called up by the national team. He brings stability to the team. In MLS to be successfull, you need 4 or 5 guys like that, tha stay on your tem for 4-5 years. Then you add 2-3 older imports and 2-3 up and coming North Americans that might leave to Europe eventually (EDU, Wynne).

That's how your 11 should be build...

Great signing!

Exactly my thoughts. We have too many mid range Internationals for the MLS.

S_D
09-04-2008, 08:06 AM
That is exactly the type of signing TFC shoul always do. A good mid range North American player who wont go to Europe an dwont be called up by the national team.

absolutely.

Glad to see he has been signed.

Everyone says (including TFC staff) that it is a conditioning problem. I don't think it is, I think it is just the way his body works. This has been a chronic problem for him since he first started playing for Chicago.

The guy is such a hard worker he sweats buckets. If you watch him on TV, after a run the sweat is just pouring down his face. The guy just needs to rehydrate a lot more often than he is currenly doing.

Problem is if you fill up too much with water while you are playing you can get stomache cramps, so I am not too sure which is better lol.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-04-2008, 08:08 AM
i have faith Winsper will sort it out if it is a nagging problem

giambac
09-04-2008, 08:10 AM
great news. I can't wait for next year when giambac starts using Barrett as an example of Carver's stupidity.

This has nothing to do with Carver.

Your trying to give Carver credit for this????????????

S_D
09-04-2008, 08:12 AM
yeah I am sure if it is possible he can figure it out. If not, hook Barrett up to an IV unit during half time :D

TorontoBlades
09-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Barrett Ruiz are the MLS' Rooney Tevez

rocker
09-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Barrett Ruiz are the MLS' Rooney Tevez

yeah, but Barrett and Ruiz are better looking than Rooney and Tevez!!! WE WIN! ;)

Corpand
09-04-2008, 10:25 AM
too little, too late.

Cashcleaner
09-04-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but isn't this just a contact extension with the league - not neccesarily TFC?

S_D
09-04-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but isn't this just a contact extension with the league - not neccesarily TFC?

None of the players sign with their own teams...MLS owns all of the contracts.

Cashcleaner
09-04-2008, 12:02 PM
^ Thought so. So there's really no way of telling just how long he'll be with Toronto - we just know he'll be in MLS for another 4 years at least.

ensco
09-04-2008, 02:51 PM
^ Thought so. So there's really no way of telling just how long he'll be with Toronto - we just know he'll be in MLS for another 4 years at least.

unless he's sold in Europe for a couple of million

it's not inconceivable, if he has a big year next year

gtaguy
09-04-2008, 05:16 PM
even though the league owns his contract . Mls states that only the club has authority to trade his right to another mls club. We won't be seeing him play here for 6 months and then have him pulled from our club without tfc consent.. there is no worry here..
Although i do think that we must maintain our sight in the fact that he is young and quite possibly bring toronto a handsome ransom for him abroard. Only if he develops into a very good quality striker.. I do hate the fact that no matter which league your in on this side of the pond ( north or south america) a good player will always be shipped out to the old continent..
these are the growing pains we experience being such a young league...

NewcastleFan
09-05-2008, 01:54 PM
This is a great move for TFC. Barrett is a young player with tons of potential, and he will be a key player for us in years to come.

ricciboy
09-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Awsome!