PDA

View Full Version : Will Carver be back next year?

Damien
09-03-2008, 11:38 AM
In SBI's power rankings he hints at the possibility of Carver not returning. I also believe he only has a 1 year contract with TFC.

Thoughts?

Greg Sutton kept Toronto in the Chivas USA game, but then gave it away with a late blunder. Rebounding from that would be tough enough, but rebounding from that with most of your key players absent due to national team duty makes things downright dreary. Will John Carver stick around the rest of the year, or will he pack his bags early for a return to England?

arbogast
09-03-2008, 11:40 AM
50/50. i don't think he'll get the sack.
if he leaves it will be because he's decided to move on.

Kickit09
09-03-2008, 11:42 AM
i get the feeling he wants to stay

Mrs. Workie
09-03-2008, 11:42 AM
I believe Yes. If he's not, I firmly believe it would be a huge mistake.

SLBuu
09-03-2008, 11:43 AM
50/50. i don't think he'll get the sack.
if he leaves it will be because he's decided to move on.

agreed

Cashcleaner
09-03-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm pretty confident will Carver will be back for 2009. Not so sure about Mo, though.

Oblio2
09-03-2008, 11:45 AM
I think carver will go back. He lieks it here but cannot stand the BS that is the MLS...stupid cap, no help regarding International call ups and decimation of the squad....Easier to go home and be an assistant somewhere else.

LucaGol
09-03-2008, 11:48 AM
I want Stephen Hart as our head coach and Craig Forrest and Danny Dichio as assistants.

Tintin
09-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I think carver will go back. He lieks it here but cannot stand the BS that is the MLS...stupid cap, no help regarding International call ups and decimation of the squad....Easier to go home and be an assistant somewhere else.

My thoughts excatly. And you forgot that he is not happy with the lack of signings by Mo.

Oblio2
09-03-2008, 11:50 AM
oh, and he hates the lack of signings by Mo.....:)

and that bastard plastic pitch!

Cashcleaner
09-03-2008, 11:52 AM

What Carver should do is start making more angry comments about the shit salaries and transaction schemes that the league is all about. Why not? He's already been put in the doghouse for talking about the refs, let's see how much he can make the league's top men twist and bend out of shape.

felipe
09-03-2008, 11:58 AM
I hope he and Mo both stay...it takes time to build a franchise from nothing

Oldtimer
09-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Ives is merely commenting on Carver's frustration with MLS, I doubt there is anything more to it.

flatpicker
09-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Welcome back Carver....

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 12:22 PM
He loves the city fans and TFC management..although i do beleive he is getting rather upset at the way MLS handles certain things...so yyes he will be back,
and should be signed to a 4 years deal.

Parkdale
09-03-2008, 12:25 PM
how about this....

we set up a massive online poll/database so that all the coaching decisions are made by the collective mind of TFC supporters.

:rolleyes5:

Ossington Mental Youth
09-03-2008, 12:30 PM
He loves the city fans and TFC management..although i do beleive he is getting rather upset at the way MLS handles certain things...so yyes he will be back,
and should be signed to a 4 years deal.

yep

how about this....

we set up a massive online poll/database so that all the coaching decisions are made by the collective mind of TFC supporters.

BWAHAHAHAHA
Cuz we know best :rolleyes5:

Bombonera
09-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Unfortunately, I think he stays. And to those of you who think Mo goes, I think not.

THe scapegoat here is the friggin turf. ALthough I personally think that Carver's decision making (Notwithstanding the fact that he doesn't have too much to play with...) is pathetic. I mean, where he gets his ego, I don't know.

Oldtimer
09-03-2008, 12:41 PM
From the Metro, March 28-30, 2008:

Carver has big plans for the club and claims he's in it for the long haul. He wants to set up an academy that will develop players as young as nine a farm system typical of many European clubs

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Unfortunately, I think he stays. And to those of you who think Mo goes, I think not.

THe scapegoat here is the friggin turf. ALthough I personally think that Carver's decision making (Notwithstanding the fact that he doesn't have too much to play with...) is pathetic. I mean, where he gets his ego, I don't know.

you should be thanful he stays...he will lead this team to better things next season...his decision making is based on available players, he should
have insisted that TFC players on the Canada squad stay with TFC as they are paying the wages, and not joining a team whose world cup chances are a million to 1 at least...Now he has that traitor Hemming to deal with...well maybe Hemming will end up flipping burgers at Mickey D;'s.

H Bomb
09-03-2008, 12:49 PM
have insisted that TFC players on the Canada squad stay with TFC as they are paying the wages, and not joining a team whose world cup chances are a million to 1 at least....

Are you taking bets? Cause I'll take those odds dude. put me down for a tener

Rawkus_420
09-03-2008, 12:50 PM
im sure he will be back, its not his fault we suck.

Tintin
09-03-2008, 12:52 PM
you should be thanful he stays...he will lead this team to better things next season...his decision making is based on available players, he should
have insisted that TFC players on the Canada squad stay with TFC as they are paying the wages, and not joining a team whose world cup chances are a million to 1 at least...Now he has that traitor Hemming to deal with...well maybe Hemming will end up flipping burgers at Mickey D;'s.

That would be a bad idea. You need to be partners with national federations.

Beach_Red
09-03-2008, 12:56 PM
how about this....

Something like this was tried for a game of NCAA football. Fans were given a choice of plays and that's what the team ran.

If TFC starts a revolving door of coaches and GMs after two years we might as well give it up now. It's hard enough to field an expansion team with the leftover players that are out of contracts, the only coach that would take the job would be one who couldn't find a job anywhere else in the world.

AL-MO
09-03-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm pretty confident will Carver will be back for 2009. Not so sure about Mo, though.

Cash, what makes you think Mo would go before Carver? Not that its the right thing to do, but I think Mo is on solid ground with the higher ups and Carver would go before he ever would.

giambac
09-03-2008, 01:14 PM
In SBI's power rankings he hints at the possibility of Carver not returning. I also believe he only has a 1 year contract with TFC.

Thoughts?

I have my fingers crossed that he is a man of his word and he leaves. Leave the team, leave the city, leave the country.

This team neeeds a major shakeup. I say start with the coach and then continue with getting rid of the majority of players.

I would also consider getting rid of Mo. However you do need some continiuty. Keep Mo around for another year until someone better comes along. That shouldn't be to difficult to find

Oldtimer
09-03-2008, 01:18 PM
I have my fingers crossed that he is a man of his word and he leaves. Leave the team, leave the city, leave the country.

This team neeeds a major shakeup. I say start with the coach and then continue with getting rid of the majority of players.

I would also consider getting rid of Mo. However you do need some continiuty. Keep Mo around for another year until someone better comes along. That shouldn't be to difficult to find

says the person who thinks Pinball should be TFC's coach. :rolleyes:

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 01:18 PM

your just positive about the team are you not? who would you bring in as manager instead of Carver? who would you bring in as director of football operations instead of MO? i await this answer...should be interesting!!

Tintin
09-03-2008, 01:22 PM
your just positive about the team are you not? who would you bring in as manager instead of Carver? who would you bring in as director of football operations instead of MO? i await this answer...should be interesting!!

No names neede. before Mo and Carver arrived, would we have given their names. No. Almost nobody knew them!

giambac
09-03-2008, 01:22 PM

I don't have names. That's not my job and that's not why I'm paid for.

All I know is that Carver never head a head coaching postion before in the professional ranks. He was always an understudy.

Mo also has a poor record as a coach in th MLS and a poor record as a manager.

So it shouldn't be difficult to find someone, anyone, anything........:yum:

giambac
09-03-2008, 01:23 PM
says the person who thinks Pinball should be TFC's coach. :rolleyes:

1)Pinball is a good football coach and
2) we need a football coach

Football/soccer aren't they the same sport??????

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 01:27 PM

Pinball is in the cfl,,,that hardly qualifies as good football,
if he was any good at all he would be in the NFL, NCAA, US high school
much better leagues then the CFL...so is pop warner league but whose counting?

AL-MO
09-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Alright...

:topic:

Beach_Red
09-03-2008, 01:30 PM

Pinball won't even coach the Argos - he's too smart for that.

We'll see who Philly get to come in and build an expansion team there.

Usually in these kinds of situations you'd look at last years champions and hire their assistant GM - so who's that in Houston? Or maybe the assistant from New England? Do MLS teams even have assistant GMs?

But sometimes the bold chance pays off. No one in hockey would have hired Jay Feaster when Tamps Bay did and they won the cup.

But it also depends on the kind of deal ownership made with the current manager. If other experienceed, qualified managers look at the situation in Toronto and blame missing the playoffs in year two on the manager, then you'd get a few lined up to take the job. But if they feel he wasn't given the proper chance by ownership, then you'd only get guys no one else wants.

Look, the Maple Leafs can only get second-rate rejects for managment positions because they meddle too much. So far, they haven't done that with TFC and it's going to pay off.

TFC Tifoso
09-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Pinball is in the cfl,,,that hardly qualifies as good football,
if he was any good at all he would be in the NFL, NCAA, US high school
much better leagues then the CFL...so is pop warner league but whose counting?

So then by that same argument, you could say that if Carver was a good coach he should be in EPL, right?.....I mean after all, many here think he's a demi-god, what with all that instruction he's recieved from the great Sir Bobby Robson, yes?

TFCREDNWHITE
09-03-2008, 01:47 PM

Man, i wish you ran the team!! You would last for 2 games if that!! You would be fired so fast your head would be spinning...

You should sign all your crap "Mr. Know it all.." :mad:

TFCREDNWHITE
09-03-2008, 01:50 PM
So then by that same argument, you could say that if Carver was a good coach he should be in EPL, right?.....I mean after all, many here think he's a demi-god, what with all that instruction he's recieved from the great Sir Bobby Robson, yes?

Listen Columbus might be on top, but i don't think Sigi Schmidt knows what he's doing really at all...I think Carver is a more intelligent coach then Schmidt is....So by your reckoning we should go and hire the best coach in MLS and if you do it by points on the table it would be Schmidt..no????

giambac
09-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Man, i wish you ran the team!! You would last for 2 games if that!! You would be fired so fast your head would be spinning...

You should sign all your crap "Mr. Know it all.." :mad:

If only I ran this team...............

I have so many plans and ideas for this team

One thing I could gaurantee you and i would bet anything on it....

If I managed this team they definetly wouldn't be any worse than the current team. How can they be??? You can get any worse than last palce in the league for the past 2 seasons..... Can you????:eek:

Bobo
09-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Demote him to assistant. A great guy for the players to have around, but as competent on the field as Mo is.

Doubt he'd take that though.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 02:22 PM

he was in the EPL.....Carvers the man...no one has mentioned any possible better replacement...which i figured would happen....

lets see we could being in an Italian manager....have the defender pass the ball back to the keeper for 90 minutes a game...and don't forget the diving lessons:rolleyes: or a Portuguese or Greek managers which are no different
from the one listed above in tatics...so where to go from there....
Brazil, Argentina....possible but highly unlikely....Canadian...please god No
too many Dale Mitchells, and mr you know who in San Jose,running about,
A scottish manager, Mo is happy where he is....so you see TFC have the best going...and if you have any patience you will see that next year when you jump back on the TFC bandwagon when they are winning on a regular basis,

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 02:24 PM
If only I ran this team...............

I have so many plans and ideas for this team

One thing I could gaurantee you and i would bet anything on it....

If I managed this team they definetly wouldn't be any worse than the current team. How can they be??? You can get any worse than last palce in the league for the past 2 seasons..... Can you????:eek:

you would be sacked in the pre season..:rolleyes: ps we are not last in the league right now!! try to keep up..

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I don't have names. That's not my job and that's not why I'm paid for.

All I know is that Carver never head a head coaching postion before in the professional ranks. He was always an understudy.

Mo also has a poor record as a coach in th MLS and a poor record as a manager.

So it shouldn't be difficult to find someone, anyone, anything........:yum:

we have got the guy needed...

Strikers
09-03-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm sure Carver will be back next year.

joel
09-03-2008, 02:59 PM
he hasn't had a full year with the squad he wants and the preseason he wants. To be gone without gettting a fair shake at it doesn't make sense for either party.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 03:01 PM
he hasn't had a full year with the squad he wants and the preseason he wants. To be gone without gettting a fair shake at it doesn't make sense for either party.

exactly he needs at leat 3-4 full season to build the squad lets give him that.

AL-MO
09-03-2008, 03:07 PM
he was in the EPL.....Carvers the man...no one has mentioned any possible better replacement...which i figured would happen....Yeah he held cones and bibs for Robson. If you want to say that he coached in the EPL fine...

lets see we could being in an Italian manager....have the defender pass the ball back to the keeper for 90 minutes a game...and don't forget the diving lessons:rolleyes: or a Portuguese or Greek managers which are no different
from the one listed above in tatics...so where to go from there....You have done a good job with this post of pissing off alot of people on this board. What do you suggest? Some shitty Scottish coach? WAIT...we had that last year....

Broadview
09-03-2008, 03:10 PM
If Carver chooses to leave TFC and MLS (I don't think he'll get the boot, but who knows?) then this forray into North America will not exactly be a feather in his cap in terms of his coaching career. He's still got a lot to learn and prove when it comes to winning games, but I think he's given every indication he wants to do so. He is a professional football coach after all. Would you want this season on your resume? I wouldn't. But if he succeeds in turning the team around next season (hopefully this season, I'm still an optomist) then that's definitely a feather in his cap with which he can tell MLS and it's oddball regulations to kiss his ass. Go back to England, land a plum gig somewhere they don't play during WC qualifing, maybe even a club with grass.

He doesn't strike me as the "cut and run" type of guy though. I hope he stays and succeeds. He's too fun to watch.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah he held cones and bibs for Robson. If you want to say that he coached in the EPL fine...

You have done a good job with this post of pissing off alot of people on this board. What do you suggest? Some shitty Scottish coach? WAIT...we had that last year....

No just keep the current good one we have....everyone is talking of hiring this guy that guy, trade him, release this one...we will never get anywhere doing that..the Leafs have done that for 41 years and won dick all. may have pissed off a lot of people with this post cause they know im right on this one....Toronto is a city of glory hunting....baskets....only winning will do and you have to do it now....which is why the teams never do well they listen to the fan base why too much.

ensco
09-03-2008, 03:44 PM
I think it's more than 50/50 he and Winsper hightail it back to the UK.

They're not getting much out of being here.

The two best players are latin headcases, which they have absolutely no feel for.

We're a losing side, playing on a mickey mouse surface, with little hope for improvement.

The leagues officials and referees are a total frustration.

Better off as assistants in the CCC.

giambac
09-03-2008, 03:51 PM
If Carver chooses to leave TFC and MLS (I don't think he'll get the boot, but who knows?) then this forray into North America will not exactly be a feather in his cap in terms of his coaching career. He's still got a lot to learn and prove when it comes to winning games, but I think he's given every indication he wants to do so. He is a professional football coach after all. Would you want this season on your resume? I wouldn't. But if he succeeds in turning the team around next season (hopefully this season, I'm still an optomist) then that's definitely a feather in his cap with which he can tell MLS and it's oddball regulations to kiss his ass. Go back to England, land a plum gig somewhere they don't play during WC qualifing, maybe even a club with grass.

He doesn't strike me as the "cut and run" type of guy though. I hope he stays and succeeds. He's too fun to watch.

Okay here is my take on it.

I really don't care if he stays or goes. I really don't mind giving him another year to prove himself and what he is capable of doing. I'll give him that and could live with it as long as he does one thing

I want him to come out and for once have an honest conversation.

I know this season has been tough. It has been tough on the team, it has been tough on Mo, it has been tough on Carver and it has been tough on all of us supporters.

I want Carver to be honest with everyone. Come out and tell everyone that it has been a trying season, a new league, a new team, new players. But fuck take some responsibility for the poor performanace. It's not all his fault but he has to look at himself in the mirror and say there is room for improvement in himself. He to has to hold himself accounatble.

He has cut up the league, the turf, the players, his boss Mo. They are all to blame somewhat. But so is he. If he could just once come out and say that it has been a big learning curve for himself and that he is human and that he has made mistakes as has everyone else than I would be willing to give him another year. The thing is that he thinks he is Superman.

This post is not a Carver bashing.
It's my honest opinion on the guy.
If he was more humble I would be easier on the guy and so would aslot of othe rpeople..

If he does stay i think he has too improve in this area.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 03:53 PM

The two best players are latin headcases, which they have absolutely no feel for.

We're a losing side, playing on a mickey mouse surface, with little hope for improvement.

he doesn;t seem to be the type to walk away from a challenge..
the latin headcases..the fans were all for those deals...
a losing but improving side...im sure he can cope.
Mickey mouse surface he has no control over..\
league officals and ref are a frustration...that goes the world over
better as an asst in the CCC? don;t think so..in two years time he will be lifting the MLS cup down Younge street!!!

Cambridge_Red
09-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Carver is the man in Toronto, why the hell would he walk away from that back to lower table obscurity?

giambac
09-03-2008, 03:56 PM
he doesn;t seem to be the type to walk away from a challenge..
the latin headcases..the fans were all for those deals...
a losing but improving side...im sure he can cope.
Mickey mouse surface he has no control over..\
league officals and ref are a frustration...that goes the world over
better as an asst in the CCC? don;t think so..in two years time he will be lifting the MLS cup down Younge street!!!

Yeah,

I have already reserved my spot:noidea:

denime
09-03-2008, 04:04 PM
He will stay.
Yes he will,4 more years. :canada:

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Yeah,

I have already reserved my spot:noidea:

me too:canada:

TFC07
09-03-2008, 04:15 PM
I hope not unless he is willing to adjust his style of play.

Like seriously, who the hell plays direct/long ball football during North American summer?

Maple Leaf Red
09-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Yeah he held cones and bibs for Robson. If you want to say that he coached in the EPL fine...

Oh, is that what coaches do? I was confused by all of the seconds in command in Europe that move on to managing jobs...:rolleyes:

Maple Leaf Red
09-03-2008, 05:59 PM

Good to see people are still being rational around here.

rocktml
09-03-2008, 06:02 PM
I hope he's back

kitchener-TFC
09-03-2008, 06:06 PM
I hope he and Mo both stay...it takes time to build a franchise from nothing
ditto

AL-MO
09-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Oh, is that what coaches do? I was confused by all of the seconds in command in Europe that move on to managing jobs...:rolleyes:

I was saying that somewhat tongue in cheek. But remind me what job he was elevated to after being a 2nd in command?