PDA

View Full Version : For Club or Country - Which would you prefer at this point and why?

jayeden
09-02-2008, 06:15 PM
If you could only choose one:

TFC Makes it into the playoffs this year and go for the cup

or

Canada qualifies for WC 2010

Why?

----
My Choice:

Canada for 2010:

I want to be able to take my support down to South Africa and watch my country compete in the biggest soccer event in the world, and have the rest of the world finally see that we can once again compete on such a stage.

werewolf
09-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Canada.

TFC has for chances at the cup for every one of Canada in the World Cup. Plus TFC can alter their roster every year to make necessary adjustments, with random players from all over the world.

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-02-2008, 06:18 PM
In my opinion, in a World Cup qualifying year, your country has to be the priority.

Kickit09
09-02-2008, 06:21 PM
club. not all of us are canadian or canada supporters but we're all TFC supporters. i wish canada the best, but they are #3 on my list.

deschamp86
09-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Canada. In the amount of time it takes for Canada to reach one World Cup, TFC has 4 chances at winning the MLS Cup.

shwade
09-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Canada. In the amount of time it takes for Canada to reach one World Cup, TFC has 4 chances at winning the MLS Cup.

What he said.

The World Cup is also a million times grander than the MLS cup and it'll mean much more to soccer supporters across the country.

Wooster_TFC
09-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Country over club at all times.

RealG-TFC
09-02-2008, 06:42 PM

QFT!

Vindaloo
09-02-2008, 06:43 PM
club. not all of us are canadian or canada supporters but we're all TFC supporters. i wish canada the best, but they are #3 on my list.

Same here. But if it's a question of country(whatever country someone supports) vs club, then I would go for country easily. Canada unfortunately is down the list a bit for myself.

adampz
09-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Why isnt there a poll?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Great topic..!

Its really interesting to see the Support for COunrty. but then again....we do cheer for a club wich is fairly new.!!

If this same topic was to be posted abroad...with supporters with years of history... years of passion for a team they have followed since boy hood...past onto generation to generations...from those before him......You might be shocked that the majority would choose CLUB! We as supporters will never be at that stage...to have the balls to pick club over country...but i can tell you for fact...Many outside the North American stage.....it will always be Club over country! IVe talked to supporters from England ....and a few Croatians i met at euro2004....they would go to the death for there club! Cheering for there country was a bonus!

In saying that...i would choose country because im not at that stage with tfc!

Hmmmm! wouldnt a trip to South Africa be amazing to see our boys at WC2010

profit89
09-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Country first. Club second.

Parkdale
09-02-2008, 07:21 PM
TFC has given me more highlights in the past 1.75 seasons than Canada has in ages.

Honestly, why would I have to choose? I want them both to win.

marquis
09-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Canada all the way! Even though I wasn't born here and I only came here 5 years ago, Canada is my home now and I'm truly grateful to be here.
Go Canada!

SQUIRREL
09-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Canada. It's in our blood. I'm Canadian first and TFC supporter second. Plus the World Cup is every 4 years we have the rest of the time to devote our time and effort for TFC.

Ladies Love Julius James
09-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Canada.

SilverSamurai
Not this again...

Anyways Canada. But I still want TFC to do well though.

Batman
Canada WC no question.

OneLoveOneEric
09-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Club ALWAYS over country.

Bars92
09-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Canada WC would be epic.
Nuff said.

Eastend
09-02-2008, 07:45 PM
I would love to see Canada in South Africa in 2010 but this weekend I will be at BMO.

To be honest, I have never really followed the CMNT until this year. Up until last year, I have never had a club to call my own....sure I support United and always will but that's my fathers club. IMO, it is Club over Country....as it should be for the players, that is who pays their salary.

Playing for your Country is an honor but not at the price MLS is putting on it.

my 0.02.

Dom.

p.s. this is an age old question that men will go to war for fighting for their beliefs.

loconet
09-02-2008, 08:10 PM
I wasn't born here but as a long-time football fan, at this point, there is only one answer - Canada qualifying is more important IMO. It would be absolutely amazing in so many aspects. To say that Canada qualifying comes second to TFC making the playoffs is very short-sighted IMO. TFC has the chance of making the playoffs next year, the following year, etc.

A Canadian WC Qualification not only would be great as Canada is the native and adopted country of many here, but also for the longer term growth of the sport in this country, and thus it would be of great benefit to TFC itself!

The exposure to the sport through national pride would skyrocket. Canadians would realize there are other sports other than Hockey! Canadian main stream media might take notice, new sponsors, more kids would stick with the sport instead of ditching it for hockey. Non-football fans would take notice, pay more respect. The government as well as the private sector might see it beneficial to invest more in the sport in this country. Grass at BMO! More stadiums around the world, more pressure support to put another Canadian team in the MLS to repeat the qualification and go further in the tournament, Canada hosting WC realistic in the future? etc, etc.

Canada qualifying to the WC would give the sport a huge boost all over the country. Not just in Toronto. It would benefit TFC fans and CMNT fans alike!

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-02-2008, 08:55 PM
It’s a bit of an ‘apples and oranges’ question. Canada qualifying for the World Cup is more akin to TFC winning the league than qualifying for the playoffs.

RedRum
09-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Hands down Canada.

denime
09-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Canada

TFC-Tyler
09-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Canada, without question.

flatpicker
09-02-2008, 09:14 PM
If by "club" you mean "strip club"...

professor
09-02-2008, 09:26 PM
In spite of the CSA, COUNTRY before club!

Gold cups have been entertaining and loaded with typical CONCACAF drama

I've lived in the US, Finland, France - and I'm moving back to the States, long term, this time to teach

I'll always be Canadian

I'm a footie fanatic, a futbal-a-holic - already cost me my first decent job and just recently, a relationship with not quite the perfect woman - oh well, I'll get over it with the newly acquired subscription to yet another satelite provider - more footie, all the time

I remember getting hooked on to MLS, Mo was playing for the Wizards, even remember attending a match he played in - he was 35 or 36 at the time I think, and a goal scoring machine at that

anyway I've never much cared for 1 team over another, as long as it's football

MLSE, is the Leafs and Raptors, and they are crap
TFC are too new but very much a hallmark of the MLSE brand
but it's good to finally have a local team in the picture but my loyalty, respect and unquestioned support are earned, and a season and a half just hasn't done it for me

Down the road I'm turnin' 30, does life get any better than this

Red CB Toronto
09-02-2008, 09:40 PM
I always believe country comes before club when it comes to world cup or any other type of international competition ie Gold Cup, Olympics etcs., I really think it has come to the point where MLS respects these dates and does not get in the way of its teams fielding competitive squads. Thats another issue but I just think national duty is something of honour.

Ageroo
09-02-2008, 10:32 PM
This is an easy one for me as Country comes before club...but TFC is a close second.....

David_Oliveira
09-02-2008, 10:49 PM
No brainer. Country if meaningful. This has got to be the best team for Canada ever. If they don't make it now...damn I don't even want to think of it

Fort York Redcoat
09-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Canada. Obviously.

The people who answered club I would hazard are supporters of other older, established teams that could probably win a world cup if said club were allowed to compete for it. It seems to me the concept of national teams for them have grown tiresome and or too frustrating.

Well, IFO am not going to slag them off for traitors or attack their lack of patriotism because I can't say that my club has or in the near future will compete in a tournament that will rival the importance of the world cup.

But I hope one day they will...

Wooster_TFC
09-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Great topic..!

Its really interesting to see the Support for COunrty. but then again....we do cheer for a club wich is fairly new.!!

If this same topic was to be posted abroad...with supporters with years of history... years of passion for a team they have followed since boy hood...past onto generation to generations...from those before him......You might be shocked that the majority would choose CLUB! We as supporters will never be at that stage...to have the balls to pick club over country...but i can tell you for fact...Many outside the North American stage.....it will always be Club over country! IVe talked to supporters from England ....and a few Croatians i met at euro2004....they would go to the death for there club! Cheering for there country was a bonus!

In saying that...i would choose country because im not at that stage with tfc!

Hmmmm! wouldnt a trip to South Africa be amazing to see our boys at WC2010

You honestly believe that folks in Europe would pick club over country? There's a reason they actually adhere to FIFA dates over there...

nobodybeatsthewiz
09-03-2008, 10:01 AM
gots to go with the maple leaf flag on this one

Stencils
09-03-2008, 10:04 AM
You honestly believe that folks in Europe would pick club over country? There's a reason they actually adhere to FIFA dates over there...

Yeah, to protect the players that do want to play for country from angry supporter retribution :P

Anyway, for me I have to say Canada. It was a hard decision to make (CMNT vs TFC on Saturday) made harder by the fact we have so many players away, but we have an actual chance to get to the World Cup. A real chance. We need to show all those other players who choose other countries or clubs over Canada (*cough*Hargreaves*cough*) that choosing to play for your homeland here in Canada isn't a death sentence.

KdotOdot
09-03-2008, 10:05 AM
If you choose club over country you are seriouslt deranged.

Go ANYWHERE in the world and ask them which take priority and they will tell you. Shit, country beats club according to FIFA anyway so why the discussion.

billyfly
09-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Ca-na-da

gtaguy
09-03-2008, 10:23 AM
I can already hear the chanting of OH Canada in South Africa....

Country then Club.. Depends on the importance and significance of the tournament.

deltox
09-03-2008, 10:35 AM
players themselves choose club before country.

look at the jamie carragher thread.

when he missed the penalty for england, he said that at least it wasnt for liverpool.

he said he would rather lose while playing for england than lose for LFC.

i see a lot of country options.....but a player gets paid by the club. a player lives week in and week out with the club and his team mates.

deltox
09-03-2008, 10:37 AM
most of you guys havnt had football running through the veins all your lives....so ill put it in a way that you might understand.

would you rather Canada win the olympics and world cup in hockey.......or for the leafs to win the stanley cup?

case closed

SilverSamurai
09-03-2008, 10:38 AM
I wonder how many people picked club before the Canada game Vs. Jamaica and now have hopped over to the country side...
I think we can all tell though...

deltox: seems some players cough*jdg2*cough choose their country too!

nobodybeatsthewiz
09-03-2008, 10:39 AM

it's because it is their job. they are professionals....not emotional, passionate amateur fans as we are. they have to be able to block out personal feelings and opinion and focus in - it's what makes them great.

personally, im canada first, but do not at all have anything against those who're club over country. it's all preference and can't begrudge someone for choosing sporting love #1 as opposed to #1a)

nobodybeatsthewiz
09-03-2008, 10:40 AM
I think we can all tell though...

how can you tell???? basically, you're calling the majority of canada first fans gloryhunters??

Rossiroo
09-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Country

SilverSamurai
09-03-2008, 10:45 AM
how can you tell???? basically, you're calling the majority of canada first fans gloryhunters??
Nope I'm not. I'm a Canadian supporter. Have pretty much always been but never really was able to get into it until the recent WCQ campaign. I did watch the past Gold Cup and the debacle and I try to watch as many friendlies as possible. But it doesn't make me better.

Just saying a similar thread was done originally and it was the opposite in terms of "votes" I guess you could say. Club over country was often defended.
Anyways whatever, the more mainstream supporters that support Canada, the higher the profile for the national squad.

Nomad
09-03-2008, 10:51 AM
If you choose club over country you are seriouslt deranged.

Go ANYWHERE in the world and ask them which take priority and they will tell you. Shit, country beats club according to FIFA anyway so why the discussion.

Are you sure about this? Because i hear a lot different.... LOTS of people (and players) choose club over country.

Heathen
09-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Are you sure about this? Because i hear a lot different.... LOTS of people (and players) choose club over country.

In England yes

flatpicker
09-03-2008, 10:53 AM
If the TFC B-Team loses to Chivas this weekend and Canada wins... then my mood will be a positive one.

werewolf
09-03-2008, 10:59 AM

look at the jamie carragher thread.

when he missed the penalty for england, he said that at least it wasnt for liverpool.

he said he would rather lose while playing for england than lose for LFC.

i see a lot of country options.....but a player gets paid by the club. a player lives week in and week out with the club and his team mates.

If one was to look at that thread they would see the people with similar preferences are English. There is more to soccer then England.

most of you guys havnt had football running through the veins all your lives....so ill put it in a way that you might understand.

would you rather Canada win the olympics and world cup in hockey.......or for the leafs to win the stanley cup?

case closed

I much prefer Canada's Olympic Gold to my teams three Cups in 10 years.

trane
09-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Country over club. I do not even see it as a conflict.

Nomad
09-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Club over country

I think a lot of people say country over club but i don't know if i really believe them or if it's just lip service. How many of you football fans went to CMNT games before TFC came into existance? How many of you are on the Voyageurs board? How many are going to Montréal this Saturday to see the match and how many are staying in Toronto because TFC are playing?

I hear a lot of talk about country, but i don't see a lot of action pointing to that viewpoint. Sure you'll go see a CMNT game when it's conveniently at BMO and everyone else from the TFC supporters are going.... Now i do know some of you actually do feel country over club, i just don't think it's as much of a landslide opinion as it appears right now.

This is a TFC board. It's what unites us all. I get on here for that sole purpose. This site has way more traffic than the Voyageurs board. TFC sells out, CMNT games can be easy to get a ticket. TFC fans travel far and wide for the club, CMNT supporters travel...but not in the same numbers. I'm just not buying it from some of you......

Torcida
09-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Reality:

TFC will not make the playoffs.

Canada will not qualify for the WC.

trane
09-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Even from this board I realy get a feeling that this concepte of Club over Country is realy a UK thing, or maybee even English only thing.

AL-MO
09-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Club over country

I think a lot of people say country over club but i don't know if i really believe them or if it's just lip service. How many of you football fans went to CMNT games before TFC came into existance? How many of you are on the Voyageurs board? How many are going to Montréal this Saturday to see the match and how many are staying in Toronto because TFC are playing?

I hear a lot of talk about country, but i don't see a lot of action pointing to that viewpoint. Sure you'll go see a CMNT game when it's conveniently at BMO and everyone else from the TFC supporters are going.... Now i do know some of you actually do feel country over club, i just don't think it's as much of a landslide opinion as it appears right now.

This is a TFC board. It's what unites us all. I get on here for that sole purpose. This site has way more traffic than the Voyageurs board. TFC sells out, CMNT games can be easy to get a ticket. TFC fans travel far and wide for the club, CMNT supporters travel...but not in the same numbers. I'm just not buying it from some of you......

What does this have to do with anything?

Ageroo
09-03-2008, 02:49 PM

I was thinking the same thing.....this is a Red Patch Board.....with Red Patch Boys and Girls.....Do we have to be on the Voyageurs Board to support Canada?

I am on the V's board, but I am not a regular poster...I read to get alot of my CMNT info though....do I have to be on there to be a true CMNT supporter...I think not....

AL-MO
09-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I was thinking the same thing.....this is a Red Patch Board.....with Red Patch Boys and Girls.....Do we have to be on the Voyageurs Board to support Canada?

I am on the V's board, but I am not a regular poster...I read to get alot of my CMNT info though....do I have to be on there to be a true CMNT supporter...I think not....

I am on the board too, but rarely post. We have our own Canadian Section.

TFC07
09-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Even from this board I realy get a feeling that this concepte of Club over Country is realy a UK thing, or maybee even English only thing.

Agreed.

As for me, CANADA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TFC (espeically this current TFC team)

:canada:

Ageroo
09-03-2008, 02:56 PM
I hear a lot of talk about country, but i don't see a lot of action pointing to that viewpoint.

In my opinion I disagree.......seems to me that alot of people will be making the trip down to Montreal because of the importance of the match.....in reading the Canadian Forum I sense that there is alot of excitment to go and alot that are disappointed at not being able to go.....it isn't as simple as saying they are staying because TFC are playing....alot of circumstances surrounding why a person can and cannot go....not because they support one or the other more......Why can't they be supporters of both...people show their passion in different ways. Attending a game is fantastic, but not always possible......

I for one cannot wait for the game on Saturday...but many of you know that because I make it known...it sucks that I will not be at the TFC match to urge the boys on, but I will be watching with my many other TFC brothers and sisters in Montreal.

TFC07
09-03-2008, 02:58 PM
I am not going to Montreal, but I am going to watch CMNT play instead of going to BMO field to watch TFC play though. I am sure there are more people doing the same as well.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 02:58 PM
TFC first and foremost as they have the better chance of being a success. Canada being at the world cup would be nice, but with Mexico,USA, Costa Rica,
Honduras,Jamaica, Guatemala all stronger then us
and play regular international games the odds are stacked agaibst us going to the world cup..TFC on the other hand us improving slowly and should be contending for the MLS playoffs next year, while Canada will likely be gone from the WCQ by then/

Fort York Redcoat
09-03-2008, 03:44 PM
TFC first and foremost as they have the better chance of being a success. Canada being at the world cup would be nice, but with Mexico,USA, Costa Rica,
Honduras,Jamaica, Guatemala all stronger then us
and play regular international games the odds are stacked agaibst us going to the world cup..TFC on the other hand us improving slowly and should be contending for the MLS playoffs next year, while Canada will likely be gone from the WCQ by then/

You think the MLS cup is a better measure of success than competing in the WORLD cup?

And what does success have to do with your choice? Oh wait you started the Sens thread, right? I'll explain loyalty and patience to someone else then.:rolleyes:

Nomad
09-03-2008, 03:47 PM

How do you not see this as a point? I don't get it...i don't know how to spell it out any more plainly for you to understand but i'll give it a shot.....

Simply put... TFC have been around for not even 2 years. Where did all these supposed CMNT fans get their info, talk about the matches, players, highs and very lows of the team before the RPB forum came around? Voyageurs are CMNT supporters... so how many of you are Voyageurs? I understand you don't have to be one to support the team but all this country over club stuff to me smacks of faux patriotism for a good few of you. Seems like the CMNT has even more bandwagon jumpers than TFC. At least TFC has an excuse, it's only just begun.

werewolf
09-03-2008, 03:50 PM
This being a Toronto FC forum, almost all the people here are in the Toronto area. Perhaps take a look at how many national team matches have been played in Toronto over that time.

The bandwagon is for the sport in general, soccer is growing in this country.

Fort York Redcoat
09-03-2008, 03:54 PM
What do you want a little maple leaf badge for calling out new supporters? Did you start the V's board? Even if if you did there are people more involved over the years. Instead of asking where they've been try asking if they're getting to the next Canada game. I won't spite them for cheering Canada. It's pointless.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 04:07 PM
You think the MLS cup is a better measure of success than competing in the WORLD cup?

And what does success have to do with your choice? Oh wait you started the Sens thread, right? I'll explain loyalty and patience to someone else then.:rolleyes:

TFC winning the MLS cup is far more realitic then Canada going to the world cup....like i said Canada is facing too many challenges to even tink about getting to the world cup:

1) the CSA-they don;t really care if Canada makes it or not, if they
did care they would have the team together playing more then2-3
a season...disband this group and from a new canadian FA with
proper football people and you would see our chances of making
the world cup jump 100%.

2) TFC is run better the the national team could ever be....Canada
has had two bad managers...the current one and the previous
one. the last good one a German took Canada to the Gold cup
Championship, not likely to be seen again under the current
Canadian set up...TFC manager Carver has brought life into the team
can you say the same about Mitchell with Canada, he dropped points
at home in WCQ...disaster.

3) TFC vs Canada....TFC is growing at a good rate,,,Canada has had
plenty of time to grow, but refuse too..

4) Club or country.....it has to be club...until the country decides to fix
its problem...the CSA.

AL-MO
09-03-2008, 04:33 PM
How do you not see this as a point? I don't get it...i don't know how to spell it out any more plainly for you to understand but i'll give it a shot.....

Simply put... TFC have been around for not even 2 years. Where did all these supposed CMNT fans get their info, talk about the matches, players, highs and very lows of the team before the RPB forum came around? Voyageurs are CMNT supporters... so how many of you are Voyageurs? I understand you don't have to be one to support the team but all this country over club stuff to me smacks of faux patriotism for a good few of you. Seems like the CMNT has even more bandwagon jumpers than TFC. At least TFC has an excuse, it's only just begun.

While I agree with you,(and see what you are getting at) that more people are interested in the CMNT more now than before, being a member of a certain message board holds very little importance.

I know i was on ontariosoccerweb long before I joined here.

Its like saying your not a real supporter if your not a member of the RPB/U-Sector/NEE message board. Which if you want to put up with all of the BS on BigSoccer go right ahead...Some of our most vocal/active RPB's aren't even on this board.

SQUIRREL
09-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Look I love TFC. I have dedicated a my time and effort to supporting TFC. I have bought many items (merchandise) and traveled to many stadiums around the US and Canada in support of them. My support and love for TFC is and will always be their through the shit times and the great times. At the same time I can't understand how you can pick club over country. Though the UEFA Cup and Champions leagues are great tournaments to watch no tournament is as big as the World Cup. On another note your dealing with pride and heart when you talk about country. Players are willing to leave there club teams (where the make lots of $$$ and some teams are fighting for a playoff spots or league titles) to play for there country. To the players I think Country is way more important. They play with more passion which makes it an enjoyable game. I think if there was a choice to play in the UEFA Champions League Final or World Cup Final players would chose the World Cup.

My point is (and some may not agree) is that country is more important to me than club. Even if Canada has sucked in the past and TFC has a better chance of winning an MLS Cup. Why can't we be the Ghana or the Ivory Coast or the T and T or Australia of the World Cup and have the whole world fall in love with us and cheer us because were the underdogs. It would make me so proud if Canada made it. I already talked to my fiancée that if Canada made it we would go to South Africa to watch a few games. Go CANADA Go.

P.S. I'm still a huge supporter of TFC

SilverSamurai
09-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Look I love TFC. I have dedicated a my time and effort to supporting TFC. I have bought many items (merchandise) and traveled to many stadiums around the US and Canada in support of them. My support and love for TFC is and will always be their through the shit times and the great times. At the same time I can't understand how you can pick club over country. Though the UEFA Cup and Champions leagues are great tournaments to watch no tournament is as big as the World Cup. On another note your dealing with pride and heart when you talk about country. Players are willing to leave there club teams (where the make lots of $$$ and some teams are fighting for a playoff spots or league titles) to play for there country. To the players I think Country is way more important. They play with more passion which makes it an enjoyable game. I think if there was a choice to play in the UEFA Champions League Final or World Cup Final players would chose the World Cup.

My point is (and some may not agree) is that country is more important to me than club. Even if Canada has sucked in the past and TFC has a better chance of winning an MLS Cup. Why can't we be the Ghana or the Ivory Coast or the T and T or Australia of the World Cup and have the whole world fall in love with us and cheer us because were the underdogs. It would make me so proud if Canada made it. I already talked to my fiancée that if Canada made it we would go to South Africa to watch a few games. Go CANADA Go.

P.S. I'm still a huge supporter of TFC
Well said. +1

I think the only thing that could be sort of comparable would be TFC winning the Champions League and/or TFC making the FIFA Club World Cup.
Anything else it's Canada 1st.

Also you have to consider that it's only been since last yr that we finally got a real soccer stadium and we now have 2. I wouldn't call anyone a bandwagon supporter because let's be honest, it's hard to be a Canadian supporter. Their are soo many people that don't even know we have a national team. Ex. try buying Canada merch outside of a major city. You'll find every country under the sun, except Canada and Greenland!
I'm glad things are changing for the better.

KdotOdot
09-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Dear Nomad,

When was the last time you saw a Canadian national qualifying game on TV?

When was the last time we had a soccer specific stadium in Canada that can house 20,000+

All TFC did was rekindle a spark for football in this country.

Fort York Redcoat
09-03-2008, 05:24 PM
TFC winning the MLS cup is far more realitic then Canada going to the world cup....like i said Canada is facing too many challenges to even tink about getting to the world cup:

1) the CSA-they don;t really care if Canada makes it or not, if they
did care they would have the team together playing more then2-3
a season...disband this group and from a new canadian FA with
proper football people and you would see our chances of making
the world cup jump 100%.

2) TFC is run better the the national team could ever be....Canada
has had two bad managers...the current one and the previous
one. the last good one a German took Canada to the Gold cup
Championship, not likely to be seen again under the current
Canadian set up...TFC manager Carver has brought life into the team
can you say the same about Mitchell with Canada, he dropped points
at home in WCQ...disaster.

3) TFC vs Canada....TFC is growing at a good rate,,,Canada has had
plenty of time to grow, but refuse too..

4) Club or country.....it has to be club...until the country decides to fix
its problem...the CSA.

I'd be convinced if you're trying to choose MLSE over CSA but I took the question as which team is more important. But team and franchise/organisation is often confused over here.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 05:40 PM
I'd be convinced if you're trying to choose MLSE over CSA but I took the question as which team is more important. But team and franchise/organisation is often confused over here.

yep the two organizations got too much of what i wanted to say..

TFC is a club i can follow and support 12 months of the year as opposed to the National team which plays few games and fewer in Canada so TFC
is going to be the winner here...how can fans who want to support canada but can only do it from the TV screen, as us in the TO area
know we don;t know if we will see that nats In To again, and if thats the case, in the debate club vs country..the club has to be the choice...they will play in front of us..no questions asked.

Fort York Redcoat
09-03-2008, 06:36 PM
The national moves around the country because it's bigger than a city club. More than a city care about it. As the sport grows more people see that it's up to us to go to them not the other way around.

MLS>World Cup?:shocked:

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 06:42 PM
The national moves around the country because it's bigger than a city club. More than a city care about it. As the sport grows more people see that it's up to us to go to them not the other way around.

MLS>World Cup?:shocked:

for us to go to them in this country is unrealistic, its too big...when they pick a venue its the local that support or don;t support it...the number of travelling to Montreal or Edmonton would not be that big.

Rocco
09-03-2008, 07:01 PM
For Canada!!!

SilverSamurai
09-03-2008, 07:27 PM
yep the two organizations got too much of what i wanted to say..

TFC is a club i can follow and support 12 months of the year as opposed to the National team which plays few games and fewer in Canada so TFC
is going to be the winner here... how can fans who want to support canada but can only do it from the TV screen, as us in the TO area
know we don;t know if we will see that nats In To again , and if thats the case, in the debate club vs country..the club has to be the choice...they will play in front of us..no questions asked.

You could make the same argument of people that follow any other league besides MLS, USL or Canadian league. Ex. how many people follow an EPL sqaud, but have nothing to identify with when it comes to the team. Ex. aren't ex-pats, or grew up with it because of their parents or have seen a game live, if say they saw it while on exchange or something.

I personally find it hard to get into teams or leagues that I have no connection w/ but the national team and I have something in common: we're Canadian.

LucaGol
09-03-2008, 07:34 PM

Right...because both teams are world beaters?.......:confused:

So let me get this straight....you're upset about all the attention the CMNT is getting because it only largely came about through the creation of Toronto FC and BMO Field?

Either way, we wouldn't even be having this discussion if the MLS respected the FIFA days like every other damn league on the planet. That's the real issue here.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 07:35 PM
1986 was a long time ago and trying to keep faith in the Canadian program is shrinking, this will likely be our best shot at WCQ in 2010..at lot of these players
will be past it for 2014 in brazil and the cycle will have to start all over again.
If Canada wants to make an Impact (no pun intended) it's now or never.....

AL-MO
09-03-2008, 07:39 PM
1986 was a long time ago and trying to keep faith in the Canadian program is shrinking, this will likely be our best shot at WCQ in 2010..at lot of these players
will be past it for 2014 in brazil and the cycle will have to start all over again.
If Canada wants to make an Impact (no pun intended) it's now or never.....

So earlier you say Canada has no chance to qualify, and now you say this is our best shot to qualify. Which is it?

NateDoGG
09-03-2008, 07:41 PM
canada goin to the world cup would be 100 times bigger then toronto making the playoffs.....

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 07:44 PM
So earlier you say Canada has no chance to qualify, and now you say this is our best shot to qualify. Which is it?

in terms of a talented team its our best chance....

with teams like Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Honduras,Guatemala,
our chances are slim at best

RPB_Brantford_08
09-03-2008, 07:49 PM
canada goin to the world cup would be 100 times bigger then toronto making the playoffs.....

??? we've already been to the world cup and it had little if no Impact on the game here, the CSL started a few years later and died and we have been Non competitive in world football since, out gold cup win in 2001
was a bright spot, but after that nothing..1986 i thought was going to be the birth of the sport in this country...lets say for argument sake canada
does make it in 2010, we know we have no chance to win it, where
will the game go from there?

SilverSamurai
09-03-2008, 11:40 PM
??? we've already been to the world cup and it had little if no Impact on the game here, the CSL started a few years later and died and we have been Non competitive in world football since, out gold cup win in 2001
was a bright spot, but after that nothing..1986 i thought was going to be the birth of the sport in this country...lets say for argument sake canada
does make it in 2010, we know we have no chance to win it, where
will the game go from there?
If Canada qualifies the CSA could finally (and hopefully start to better fund the program as FIFA gives them a good chunk of $$$ for qualifying. Also we've seen from prior World Cups how much the major cities in Canada come alive with street celebrations. But more so for little kids, it would give them players like JDG to look up to and aspire to. You're right, it's safe to say we can't win the World Cup, but maybe Canada will win a game or 2. Maybe Canada will get luck and make it to the round of 16, anything beyond the group stage would give us a fairytale run but most of all it would give us hope.
The game has changed since '86. What worked then may not work now.

Derko
09-04-2008, 05:19 AM
Country first, then Club always!!

If all things fall into place, My dad and myself hope to go to South Africa in 2010. It would be nice to see Canada compete at the World Cup of Football

zeelaw
09-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Canada, no way around it.

deltox
09-04-2008, 09:51 AM
im gonna throw it out there one more time.

this is a new team....not much history. but for the are kids who will grow up with this team. maybe in 30 or 40 yrs, this club will be storied.

so for TFC is a bad example for a lot of you. so again....fo a team that most of you grew up with and always followed.....the Leafs.

club or country?

i find it difficult to think that people would choose Canada over the leafs winning the stanley cup

Heathen
09-04-2008, 10:20 AM
im gonna throw it out there one more time.

this is a new team....not much history. but for the are kids who will grow up with this team. maybe in 30 or 40 yrs, this club will be storied.

so for TFC is a bad example for a lot of you. so again....fo a team that most of you grew up with and always followed.....the Leafs.

club or country?

i find it difficult to think that people would choose Canada over the leafs winning the stanley cup

for a start you assume everyone in Toronto is a Leafs fan, there's plenty of born and bred Torontonians who hate the Leafs besides the thing is the NHL is all about money, the Olympics were about national pride yeah sure if teh Leafs win the cup this city, no province well except Ottawa would go crazy but in 2002 the whole country went crazy

SQUIRREL
09-04-2008, 10:32 AM
for a start you assume everyone in Toronto is a Leafs fan, there's plenty of born and bred Torontonians who hate the Leafs besides the thing is the NHL is all about money, the Olympics were about national pride yeah sure if teh Leafs win the cup this city, no province well except Ottawa would go crazy but in 2002 the whole country went crazy

plus The leafs never win, so to see them win it's once in a life time it would bring a great party to the city, and team Canada in hockey always win so you almost expect it and are bored by it. I tell you though, the whole country was rocking in Salt Lake when we won gold. (the year of the lucky loonie at center ice.)

So to compare Leafs as if they were TFC and CANADA hockey to soccer, doesn't make sense to me.

trane
09-04-2008, 10:36 AM
You cannot compare hockey with football. Football is played by the world , hockey is only played relatively few countries. The World Cup is the single most importatn sports tournament in the world. Making the final stage of the competition and doing well is an unparraleld mesaure of a countries sports achivement. There is nothing in hockey international play that compares.

deltox
09-04-2008, 10:55 AM

actually i do not assume EVERYONE is a leafs fan.

i said fo a team that most of you grew up with and always followed.....the Leafs.

i guess i assumed that the majority of people in toronto were leafs fans....... but i dont think im wrong.

Fort York Redcoat
09-04-2008, 05:23 PM
You cannot compare hockey with football. Football is played by the world , hockey is only played relatively few countries. The World Cup is the single most importatn sports tournament in the world. Making the final stage of the competition and doing well is an unparraleld mesaure of a countries sports achivement. There is nothing in hockey international play that compares.

There's a first for everything,

QFT

RPB_Brantford_08
09-04-2008, 06:29 PM
If Canada qualifies the CSA could finally (and hopefully start to better fund the program as FIFA gives them a good chunk of $$$ for qualifying. Also we've seen from prior World Cups how much the major cities in Canada come alive with street celebrations. But more so for little kids, it would give them players like JDG to look up to and aspire to. You're right, it's safe to say we can't win the World Cup, but maybe Canada will win a game or 2. Maybe Canada will get luck and make it to the round of 16, anything beyond the group stage would give us a fairytale run but most of all it would give us hope.
The game has changed since '86. What worked then may not work now.

good points, but if we get there lets just get a goal and work from there.
with canada luck they would be a group like this:

Brazil
Nigeria
S. Korea
Canada

Knowing our Luck!!!;)

VPjr
09-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Canada first...no question.

My #1 priority is seeing Canada as a whole develop a love for the game. Canada qualifying for the WC will be a lot more significant for the growth of the sport, especially at the elite level, than TFC doing well.

Nonetheless, I hope TFC eventually turns a corner, rids itself of the dead weight running the team and becomes a force in MLS for years to come.

RPB_Brantford_08
09-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Canada first...no question.

My #1 priority is seeing Canada as a whole develop a love for the game. Canada qualifying for the WC will be a lot more significant for the growth of the sport, especially at the elite level, than TFC doing well.

Nonetheless, I hope TFC eventually turns a corner, rids itself of the dead weight running the team and becomes a force in MLS for years to come.

what about the dead wood with the csa and the dead wood managing the natioal side dale mitchell? until they are gone...the song will remain the same for the nats..."Four years ON"

SilverSamurai
09-04-2008, 11:03 PM
actually i do not assume EVERYONE is a leafs fan.

i said fo a team that most of you grew up with and always followed.....the Leafs.

i guess i assumed that the majority of people in toronto were leafs fans....... but i dont think im wrong.

I'd love to see the Leafs win, but national pride is more important than winning the Stanley Cup.
You can't compare hockey w/ football though. It's just not possible.
But when Canada wins the Gold on home turf, you can sure as hell bet their's going to be a part around the country.
And if they don't, nation wide riots! :taz::boxing:

TFC Via Buffalo
09-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Oh boy, I can't win this one, can I?

I'm always going to be country over club. In this instance, I take TFC over Canada, because, well, I care about TFC more then CNT. (Sorry guys)

But, I have a problem that I need some help with. My national team has Landycakes & Hejduk, who I've been trained to hate over the last Year and 1/2. It kills me to cheer for those two. Is this just one of those times that you close your eyes, plug your nose and deal with the hand you're dealt? :noidea:

RPB_Brantford_08
09-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Oh boy, I can't win this one, can I?

I'm always going to be country over club. In this instance, I take TFC over Canada, because, well, I care about TFC more then CNT. (Sorry guys)

But, I have a problem that I need some help with. My national team has Landycakes & Hejduk, who I've been trained to hate over the last Year and 1/2. It kills me to cheer for those two. Is this just one of those times that you close your eyes, plug your nose and deal with the hand you're dealt? :noidea:

It all comes down to who you support most, and for me it would be TFC/
Celtic FC/Liverpool FC/ Watford FC then Canada in that order. the CSA has had many chances to win fans over with the National team but has let the fans/players down....In toronto on saturday you will see more fans
supporting other countries in WCQ at TO bars then Canada and thats just the way it is and always will be unless the CSA gets the National team back on Track.