PDA

View Full Version : Nigel Reed-Can Carlos Ruiz cut it in Canada?

denime
09-01-2008, 03:35 AM
Can Carlos Ruiz cut it in Canada?

I earned a few extra air miles recently when I flew to Montreal for the Impact’s Champions League qualifier (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/08/27/soccer-concacaf-impact.html) against Real Estelí of Nicaragua. According to my latest newsletter I’ve now got enough for a stylish wine chiller featuring 33 preset temperatures.
By my reckoning, Carlos Ruiz must have enough air miles to purchase not only the chiller, but also a well-stocked wine cellar and a chateau in France under which to house it. To say Toronto FC’s new striker is well traveled is the understatement of the season.
His recent itinerary, for example, has taken him from Los Angeles to Guatemala, on to Toronto, back to LA for his TFC debut and soon he’ll be in Trinidad & Tobago to captain his country once again in another World Cup Qualifier. The question is, will “El Pescadito” find the Canadian waters to his liking?
Ruiz has attracted his fair share of criticism over the years – there are those who will tell you Toronto has parted company with one moody, over-hyped, under-performing veteran in Laurent Robert, only to lay out the welcome mat for another in Ruiz.
The Guatemalan, who will soon turn 29, has seen his goals-per-game ratio drop off steadily in recent years. Long gone are the stellar performances that made him Major League Soccer’s MVP back in 2002, but any coach will tell you a good striker doesn’t become a bad one overnight. You can either do it or you can’t. Perhaps what Ruiz is missing is a soul mate to re-ignite his career – and perhaps in Canada, the northernmost outpost of MLS, Ruiz will find his kindred spirit in Amado Guevara.
Will Carlos care?

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/reed/2008/08/can_carlos_ruiz_cut_it_in_cana.html)

TFCREDNWHITE
09-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Nigel is right...I'm just not sure what will happen with this guy...i guess its a wait and see approach...

stoked
09-01-2008, 11:07 AM
He'll care for this team if he get some support on the pitch, that means tfc needs to involve him more in the game and have better players surrounding him. Until that happens he won't put in a full effort. Would you?

Brooker
09-02-2008, 12:00 AM
i'm praying he can bring us something to get excited about. it would be a welcome change. (as in GOALS!!!) fuck, our home games have been lackluster to say the least. not much to get pumped about since Ricketts potted 2, eh?

cant really tell what to expect from Ruiz based on Saturday night. i'm sure i'd be more optimistic that he'd settle in quickly if he didnt have to go play for Guatemala right away.

will TFC ever catch a break?