PDA

View Full Version : What could have been...

ben_vw
08-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Here (http://benstfc.blogspot.com/2008/08/what-could-have-been.html) is my latest blog post. I've basically run through all the wins/draws that we could/should have gotten but didn't. It's an inconvenient truth...

Our season has been slowly slipping away since July and last night's loss to Chivas USA could be the crushing blow that kills our playoff hopes. Since I am so mad about last night's game and how things have become, I am going to go through our season and pick out the games that we should have, or could have, drawn or one.

1. Saturday, May 17, 2008 - Toronto FC 0 - 0 Columbus Crew

We really dominated this match for long periods of time but created no clear cut scoring opportunities. Laurent Robert had the game's best scoring chance - a rocket from about 20 yards that hit the post. If that shot had been maybe 3 inches to the right, we would have had a 1-0 win.

2. Saturday, May 24, 2008 - Toronto FC 2 - 3 DC United

Marvell Wynne conceded a penalty and Greg Sutton gifted Luciano Emilio a late winner as we fell to DC United at RFK Stadium. I'm not going to suggest we should have won this game - DC United was all over us and they did deserve the three points. If, however, Greg Sutton had held on to the original shot or parried it away from goal, we may have walked out with a 2-2 draw.

3. Saturday, June 21, 2008 - Toronto FC 0 - 0 Kansas City Wizards

This one is because of John Carver's tactics. He fielded the same team that beat Colorado 3-1 the previous weekend - leaving Amado Guevara, Jim Brennan, and Maurice Edu on the bench. After an uneventful first half, the three come on in the second half and immediately create some scoring opportunities. I have to think that if they had all played for the full 90, we would have scored at least once, for 1-0 win.

4. Saturday, June 28, 2008 - Toronto FC 1 - 2 New England Revolution

Yes, New England did dominate us for periods of this match, however we really poured it on at the end. Maurice Edu scored a header that made the score 2-1, and both Jim Brennan and Jarrod Smith had excellent opportunities to get us the equalizer. Smith had a header that was cleared off the line. If that had gone in, we'd be walking away with a share of the spoils, a 2-2 draw.

5. Saturday, July 12, 2008 - Toronto FC 1 - 2 Chicago Fire

Chris Rolfe scored in the sixth minute for the Fire before Ibee Ibrahim's debut goal leveled the score in the second half. An injury time winner from John Thorrington for Chicago though ensured we left Toyota Park with nothing. Maurice Edu was denied a penalty shout shortly after Chicago's opening goal. If we had at least been able to defend for the entire match, we would have had a 1-1 draw.

6. Saturday, July 19, 2008 - Toronto FC 0 - 0 San Jose Earthquakes

Thanks to Mo's inability to find us a striker, our attack was being lead by a 16 year old for this one. We dominated the Quakes - we knew it, and they knew it. The match really should have been ours when we were awarded a penalty, however Joe Cannon saved Guevara's shot. If that had gone in, we would have taken 3 points from this one.

7. Monday, July 28, 2008 - Toronto FC 1 - 2 Real Salt Lake

This match was painful to watch, mainly because of the American Football lines on the pitch. After going down 1-0 early in the second half, Amado Guevara scored a world class free kick to even things up with less than ten minutes to go. However, in typical "away from home" style, our defense turned off and we conceded the winner to RSL three minutes later. Again, if we could defend for 90 minutes away from home, we would have taken a point.

8. Sunday, August 17, 2008 - Toronto FC 0 - 2 New York Red Bulls

Down 1-0 in the 46th minute, we looked to have been handed a lifeline when New York's Gabriel Cichero was sent off for an elbow on Danny Dichio. We had the man advantage for 44 minutes, and created absolutely nothing. In fact, it was so bad, that New York even scored a second. If we had played at all like a real football team on the day, we more than likely would have equalized, giving us a 1-1 draw.

9. Saturday, August 23, 2008 - Toronto FC 1 - 1 New England Revolution

Let's face it, Rohan Ricketts should have had a goal in this match. Twellman headed the Revs ahead in the first half before Chad Barrett's volley evened things up. Rohan Ricketts had a free shot at the far post but could only put it wide. If he had been able to put that in the back of the net, we would have had a 2-1 win, and 3 more points.

10. Saturday, August 29, 2008 - Toronto FC 1 - 2 Chivas USA

This is of course our latest disaster away from home. Jim Brennan's goal was cancelled out by Alecko Eskandarian before Atiba Harris scored an injury time winner for the Goats. Chad Barrett missed two open chances that easily could have made this result 3-2 in our favour. As well, if we could learn to defend for 90 minutes, we would have at least taken a point.

So, there you have it. If we could capitalize on opportunities and defend for an entire match away from home, we could, right now, be 11-4-7, and on 40 points, tied for first in the league. It's amazing what stupid little mistakes can do to us.

Lucky Strike
08-31-2008, 01:21 PM
I was just thinking about this yesterday after the game, glad someone summed it up nicely.

TFC USA
08-31-2008, 01:25 PM
I know in the opening day Collin Samuel missed a penalty that would've tied the match.....spelled doom for him and the team.

We can't finish matches off, we can't kill teams off, we can't even save a lousy point. Some of it is tactics (Carver), some of it is poor play (players), some of it is the players we sign to do this job (Johnston).

RicoSuave44
08-31-2008, 08:21 PM
It's painful isn't it. Even if half of that had happened the way we wish, we'd be in or around playoff positon, with all the motivation in the world to play with.
It's also funny to think that despite how bad we have played, we could potentially be near the top of the league in points. The MLS needs to double the cap next CB round if we ever want to see this league become something.

TFC USA
08-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Frankly, if we had just scored more than the other team at least 15 times, we would've been atop the Eastern Conference. :D

ben_vw
08-31-2008, 10:12 PM
Frankly, if we had just scored more than the other team at least 15 times, we would've been atop the Eastern Conference. :D

LOL! post of the day, imo.

Blizzard
08-31-2008, 10:17 PM

Well said!

With no offence intended towards ben_vs, perhaps a similar list from the perspective of our opposition on occasions of draws and our victories is in order.

I'm sure they can say many things similar to what you said in your list.

That said, my compliments on a very interesting, though painful, read.

B

RPB_Brantford_08
08-31-2008, 10:28 PM
It's painful isn't it. Even if half of that had happened the way we wish, we'd be in or around playoff positon, with all the motivation in the world to play with.
It's also funny to think that despite how bad we have played, we could potentially be near the top of the league in points. The MLS needs to double the cap next CB round if we ever want to see this league become something.

the Cap isn;'t going to increase in the near future..while clubs like
TFC, Chicago, LA, NY wouldn't mid it...teams like New England,
Houston, Kanasa City, DC Utd would all be agianst it...we don't want this league to become the NASL over over again with big spending..slow and cautious wins the race most times.

stretchthetruth
09-01-2008, 12:20 AM
if my aunt had a dick, she'd be my uncle

Blizzard
09-01-2008, 01:24 AM
if my aunt had a dick, she'd be my uncle

Maybe she does! :eek:

ilikemusic
09-01-2008, 01:47 AM
If your dad went to the kitchen and not the bedroom you'd be a pancake.

professor
09-01-2008, 10:44 AM
This is where it hurts many MLS players, what could have been winnable games has a separate financial sting

each regular season game win = $2,750 bonus payment from MLS

So from a TFC p-o-v
TFC currently has 7 wins = $19,250
its up to the players how they distribute it
a straight 28 player equal share = $687.50 per player

as per the MLS CBA - Section 10.5 Bonus Pools:
The following Team bonuses will be paid, with the allocation among players on the Team to be determined by the Team’s players:

items i - v, inclusive, now not applicable to TFC this season,
are playoff related

(vi) Regular-Season Game Winner: $2,750

The Union will consult with MLS regarding distribution of the regular-season game winner bonus.

Notwithstanding the above, in the event of format changes, MLS and the Union shall meet and confer concerning amendments to the above bonus schedule. In no event shall the total dollar amount of the bonus pools decrease as a result of format changes (except as to those bonuses paid by U.S. Soccer).

As per the COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT Between MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER And MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER PLAYERS UNION
December 1, 2004 – January 31, 2010
http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/collective_bargaining_agreement__final.pdf