PDA

View Full Version : The official "Well, there's always next year" thread

kuku
08-31-2008, 08:55 AM
After last night's performance, the playoffs look way out of reach for TFC. So, what changes would you like to see for next year? Will you be renewing your season's tickets?

Nuvinho
08-31-2008, 09:05 AM
I will be renewing my season tickets.

I want 2 new CBs.....our defense is extremely weak.

Only good thing about not making the playoffs.....I have some money on playoff tix.

Roogsy
08-31-2008, 09:08 AM
A DP please. And a couple of solid defenders.

MrHawk
08-31-2008, 09:08 AM
More Cowbell

TFC Cityboy
08-31-2008, 09:09 AM
I think that, to be fair, we are about 11 players short of being a quality side :)

Dbl_D
08-31-2008, 09:25 AM
season's over... the only hope for anything is a win over Columbus... TFC players this is your finals... YOU NEED TO WIN THIS one for us after the support we have shown you f'rs...

dag
08-31-2008, 09:28 AM
At this stage in the club's development, I expect at the least to see advancement in the table next year. Is that too much to ask?

Boondaddy
08-31-2008, 09:33 AM
I would like to see better scheduling....these duty calls hurt team chem and perfomance (obviously).

Damien
08-31-2008, 09:48 AM
More Cowbell

http://www.caasl.net/images/MoreCowbell.jpg

Boondaddy
08-31-2008, 09:53 AM
http://www.caasl.net/images/MoreCowbell.jpg

I gave all the plants gooooogely eyes...so that I can have eye-to-eye contact....

Cashcleaner
08-31-2008, 09:55 AM
I want one World-Class DP striker and a midfielder who can dedicate more time on the pitch to properly servicing him and the other forwards and offensive mids. One or two solid defenders wouldn't go amiss either.

olegunnar
08-31-2008, 10:18 AM
A consistant keeper.

I get jealous watching all the other MLS teams and their consistant keepers. We seem to be the only team that allows total howlers and the sad thing is they're all back breakers.
Like the one at DC that cost us a point. The one against the Red Bulls early in teh season where he got beat on the goalie side of the wall...that cost us three points. The dribbler last night my grandma could have stoppped.

Kickit09
08-31-2008, 10:19 AM
"Well, there's always next year"

isn't that the leafs official slogan.... or is it just a general MLSE one?

LucaGol
08-31-2008, 10:27 AM
I think we have pretty much wasted 2 years here.

I think in 2009 we are going to have to go back to square one.

Goaltending -- Sutton, while although brilliant at times, also makes too many errors (see under Dida style of goaltending 2007/08)

Defense -- Wynne will be gone after this season, Marshall and Velez are clearly not cutting it...and are quite shocking at times....Brennan seems to be ok still I suppose, although I'd like to see him exude more leadership...and Julius James...while although a physical specimen seems to have in spades a quality that is running rampant through our team....small brain syndrome.

Midfield -- actually the worst part of our team...I think Carl Robinson might probably go back to Wales...I mean...does his family even live here?...either way...good riddance....Guevara is a poor man's AM...period....he's just not consistent enough......Ricketts is sadly probably our most consistent performer in terms of effort...in terms of talent....no comment......

Forwards: Barrett looks a decent player for our team, Ruiz could be worthwhile if he turns his fitness around...Dichio is probably out next season

So, what have we really gained in 2 years other than a lot of frustration.....young players aren't really worth too much in the long run...especially if you are going to sell them at the first opportunity you get. Ibby, who is already far too overrated...will be sold after the first decent run of games he gets....Johann Smith is a project....our young Canadian kids our promising...but will even they want to stay long term...who knows.

So to answer the question.....nowhere....we are basically an expansion team next season....with no positives gained over our first 2 seasons in the league.

Good work everyone.

And no this is not a knee-jerk reaction......the writing has been on the wall for quite some time now.

Daveisonfire
08-31-2008, 10:36 AM
I won't give up until the math says otherwise

LucaGol
08-31-2008, 10:39 AM

Next week = loss. There's no way we are going to beat Chivas with 11 players with a combined MLS experience of what 8 games.

Houston @ home = loss

Chicago @ home = loss

Columbus @ home = loss

Where are we going to pick up results?....no where...the season is trashed...we can't score, we can't defend...and the team spirit is very, very corrosive...we're rotting from the inside out.

Lets just shed the useless players for next season and move on.

rocker
08-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Brennan seems to be ok still I suppose, although I'd like to see him exude more leadership...

in what way? I saw him giving the team talk in the huddle before the match. I saw him laying into some of the other defenders during the match. What is "more leadership"?

Carl Robinson might probably go back to Wales...I mean...does his family even live here?...

yes, his family lives here.

young players aren't really worth too much in the long run...

So the opposite is to sign old players? I can't believe you're saying we shouldn't bother with young players. I guess we should dump the academy now.

I actually like the core of this team. But in certain spots they need lots of work. yet to change the team drastically again is a waste of time. People on here seem unwilling to have another season of players getting to know each other, me included.
Success in MLS is to find a decent core and then shift things around each year as circumstances dictate.

LucaGol
08-31-2008, 11:03 AM
in what way? I saw him giving the team talk in the huddle before the match. I saw him laying into some of the other defenders during the match. What is "more leadership"?

yes, his family lives here.

So the opposite is to sign old players? I can't believe you're saying we shouldn't bother with young players. I guess we should dump the academy now.

I actually like the core of this team. But in certain spots they need lots of work. yet to change the team drastically again is a waste of time. People on here seem unwilling to have another season of players getting to know each other, me included.
Success in MLS is to find a decent core and then shift things around each year as circumstances dictate.

Im not saying we shouldn't bother with young players. Development of youth is essential to any strong sports team. Im just trying to make the point that we don't seem to have advanced very much in 2 years....hence the going back to square one. And secondly....not that I was the biggest Maurice Edu booster...but the first offer that came in for our best young player...and he was gone. If that is the pattern we are going to follow...how is that good for our team in the long run? (and yes, I know this is the MLS)

Sure we have an academy (that was league mandated)....
Sure we have some draft picks (that we got by trading our best players away)......

Everything just seems a little too casual for my liking.

Draracle
08-31-2008, 11:03 AM
This thread is too gloomy.
What is your Weapon of Choice?

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=sMZwZiU0kKs

Rawkus_420
08-31-2008, 11:12 AM
DP central attacking midfielder please...dont need a DP striker...if a player is worth DP striker money, than he shouldnt be in the MLS. and some new defensive signings please.

Rawkus_420
08-31-2008, 11:15 AM
^^^some canadian internationals??

LucaGol
08-31-2008, 11:16 AM
DP central attacking midfielder please...dont need a DP striker...if a player is worth DP striker money, than he shouldnt be in the MLS. and some new defensive signings please.

We're not getting a DP until we stop selling out BMO.

This was made very clear in year one of the franchise's existence.

All this nonsense of....we're going to sign this player and that player is just propaganda made to stir up the supporters and give the illusion that the FO is working their asses off.

Mo and co. are always trying to throw us off that very ugly scent with all their insinuation.

How many times have we've been told a player was coming that never arrived?

Ok fine...Huckerby turned us down because of the field turf....all the players that we should have supposedly transferred in we're just rumours.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-31-2008, 11:27 AM
If we sign young players we have to be patient with them as some of them will need to develop. Provided a good amount of people on thsi board are ready to be patient its a great strategy however everyone knows that patience is hardly in abundance here.
That being said although we are more or less out of the running for playoffs i do expect that the team will play as if we were already in the playoffs and not let up cuz its still the 2008 season

giambac
08-31-2008, 11:53 AM
I think that, to be fair, we are about 11 players short of being a quality side :)

How did you like our game plan yesterday????????

PaulinosTFC
08-31-2008, 11:55 AM
How did you like our game plan yesterday????????

You don't need to try to trick people into making a comment so you can start bashing Carver...we all know you're gonna do it anyway.

RPB_Brantford_08
08-31-2008, 11:57 AM

we still have some hope, next weekend is not looking to promising but this is football anything can happen..

BuSaPuNk
08-31-2008, 01:40 PM
Well after seeing that showing last night if they don't see that they need to look through this team inside and out there is something wrong. We are extremely thin on talent at the back. Velez has moments of brillance but he has too many brain cramps. Marshall is a waste of sperm. No talent no drive no play. Wynne has great speed and can close on players within seconds. Robinson shouldn't ever touch the ball. Every time he touches it he gives it away. Guevarra has his moments of brillance but is just to inconsistant. (But you have to like his drive to pressure and attack) Ricketts is great in closing on the ball and making the right pass, he is probably the best all around player we have.

We need to get some quality defenders probably about 2-3. 1 quality midfielder. and 1 soild attacker.

After all that here is the list of players that we should keep:

Brennan
Dichio
James
Wynne
Ruiz
Barrett
Ricketts
Guevarra
Johann Smith......that's about it.

Davenport
08-31-2008, 02:07 PM
After last night's performance, the playoffs look way out of reach for TFC. So, what changes would you like to see for next year? Will you be renewing your season's tickets?

No way.....they've lost me as a supporter.
As long as that wanker Johnston is in charge they have no chance of building a team. He has no idea...end of.
Carver has no idea either.
Any coach who can start Wynne, Velez, Marshall and James as his back four in a game of professional football need his head looking at. Not one of them is good enough.

Oldtimer
08-31-2008, 03:45 PM
Here's how I'm going to treat the Chivas result.

The season is over IMO.
We have a few more games to enjoy. So I'll enjoy what few wins TFC can scrape together, and start dreaming of next year.

Now I know what it must be like to be an Ipswich Town F.C. supporter.

Nuvinho
08-31-2008, 03:52 PM
I think we'll win 1 more game on the road (KC), maybe a tie or win at San Jose.

At home....I see at best draws with the schedule we have left.....but then again this is the MLS

giambac
08-31-2008, 04:18 PM
I think we have pretty much wasted 2 years here.

I think in 2009 we are going to have to go back to square one.

Goaltending -- Sutton, while although brilliant at times, also makes too many errors (see under Dida style of goaltending 2007/08)

Defense -- Wynne will be gone after this season, Marshall and Velez are clearly not cutting it...and are quite shocking at times....Brennan seems to be ok still I suppose, although I'd like to see him exude more leadership...and Julius James...while although a physical specimen seems to have in spades a quality that is running rampant through our team....small brain syndrome.

Midfield -- actually the worst part of our team...I think Carl Robinson might probably go back to Wales...I mean...does his family even live here?...either way...good riddance....Guevara is a poor man's AM...period....he's just not consistent enough......Ricketts is sadly probably our most consistent performer in terms of effort...in terms of talent....no comment......

Forwards: Barrett looks a decent player for our team, Ruiz could be worthwhile if he turns his fitness around...Dichio is probably out next season

So, what have we really gained in 2 years other than a lot of frustration.....young players aren't really worth too much in the long run...especially if you are going to sell them at the first opportunity you get. Ibby, who is already far too overrated...will be sold after the first decent run of games he gets....Johann Smith is a project....our young Canadian kids our promising...but will even they want to stay long term...who knows.

So to answer the question.....nowhere....we are basically an expansion team next season....with no positives gained over our first 2 seasons in the league.

Good work everyone.

And no this is not a knee-jerk reaction......the writing has been on the wall for quite some time now.

I agree with you luca,

We have to blow up the ship. It's really a joke that we are just in or 3rd year and already we have to rebuild.

Your right we just wasted 2 years. It has to go back to management (Mo and his promises that he would bring in a DP) and the coach who looks lost out there and can't get an good effort from his players. He has no confidence in his players and the palyers have no confidence in him.

I would look at replacing all the players with the exception of :

Wynne, Brennan, Ricketts, Robinson, Johan Smith, Barret and maybe Ibby.

The rest you can cut loose.
I would also sack Mo and Carver.

Last nights game was the worst game plan I ever saw. I thought I was watching a Leaf game with all the two on ones, three on ones, clear cut breakaways. A total joke of a game by a joke of a team.

Oldtimer
08-31-2008, 04:37 PM
If Mo is going to do things right this time around, he needs to start early on building next year's team. No guys in 4 weeks into the season, get your players now to build chemistry. Get a group of decent enough players, then keep them around for a while. That's how New England built a winner.

giambac
08-31-2008, 09:17 PM
If Mo is going to do things right this time around, he needs to start early on building next year's team. No guys in 4 weeks into the season, get your players now to build chemistry. Get a group of decent enough players, then keep them around for a while. That's how New England built a winner.

I know, the Patriots rule.:rolleyes: Im agree we should follow their model:cool:

I'm picking them for the superbowl this year:p

Corcai
08-31-2008, 09:24 PM
I agree, more cowbell.

MFG1
08-31-2008, 09:26 PM
I am not having very much fun with this whole experience lately. the long long winter is coming to boot.