PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Sunday, Aug.31

denime
08-31-2008, 08:32 AM
Late goal sinks Toronto FC
Associated Press

CARSON, Calif. — Atiba Harris scored deep in extra time to give Chivas USA a 2-1 victory over Toronto FC on Saturday night.
Harris scored in the fourth minute of an announced four minutes of stoppage time for Chivas' first win in eight games. Off a corner kick, he put a shot on goal that appeared to fool Toronto goalie Greg Sutton, who watched the ball trickle between his hands and roll slowly across the goal line.
The win moved Chivas (7-9-6) into third place in the Western Conference, while Toronto (7-10-5) fell to 2-9-0 on the road.
Jim Brennan, one of two Canadian-born players in Toronto's starting lineup, scored the first goal of the game and the second of his MLS career in the 19th minute.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080831.wspttorontofc30/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Toronto FC dealt crushing road loss by Chivas USA

A goal in extra-time from Atiba Harris gave Chivas USA a 2-1 win over Toronto FC on Saturday night in Los Angeles.
Harris received the ball near the penalty spot off a low corner kick from Sacha Kljestan and fired a shot went through a crowd and squeaked past Toronto goalkeeper Greg Sutton for the winner in the fourth minute of an announced four minutes of stoppage time.
It was a costly defensive miscue on a night when Toronto FC had plenty of them.
"You can't defend like that," Toronto coach John Carver told MLSnet.com after the match. "I thought it was going to come earlier.
"It was suicide defending and that's not good enough."
Chivas outshot Toronto 20-5 overall and held a 7-3 advantage on shots on goal. That forced Sutton to be brilliant for most of the night, but he also had a hand in Harris's game-winner.
With time slipping away, Sutton attempted to clear the ball to a teammate running upfield. But it was picked off by Chivas, which was turned away but earned the corner kick that led to the game-winner.

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/08/31/soccer-tfc-chivas.html)

Late tally by Harris sends Chivas USA past Toronto FC

CARSON, California -- Chivas USA and Toronto FC entered Saturday as teams desperate for a win. They both appeared to be headed for one point until Atiba Harris stepped up.Harris scored the go-ahead goal in stoppage time as Chivas USA recorded a 2-1 victory over Toronto FC.
On a corner kick in the 94th minute, All-Star midfielder Sacha Kljestan fed a cutting Harris, who deftly back-heeled a soft grounder that eluded a defender as well as goalkeeper Greg Sutton.
"Sacha did a good job getting me the ball and (Chivas forward Justin Braun) let the ball go through for me," Harris said. "It wasn't the prettiest goal, but I'll take it. I know when Sacha has the ball, he's going to look for me and I called Justin off. I was just hoping to get it on target and it goes in."
Even though Sutton finished with five saves, Chivas kept him busy all night as it outshot Toronto, 20-5.
"We need to do better with our finishing, there's no doubt about that," Chivas forward Alecko Eskandarian said. "You don't want to wait till the 90th minute to score, but we needed a break tonight and we earned it ."

Read more (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=237902&cc=5901)

Toronto FC let one slip away
Reds fall on Chivas USA's stoppage-time goal

CARSON, Calif. -- Atiba Harris scored deep in stoppage time as Chivas USA pulled out a 2-1 come-from-behind win against Toronto FC at home Depot Center on Saturday. The win was just the second time in club history Chivas USA overcame a deficit to win an MLS match.
Toronto FC meanwhile continued its poor play away from home as the Canadians fell to 2-9-0 in regular-season games played in the United States.
For Toronto FC, the match marked the first time both Amado Guevara and Carlos Ruiz played together for the first time. Ruiz, who joined Toronto a week prior from the LA Galaxy, donned the number 25 as he and former Chivas USA midfielder Guevara began their potential stellar partnership with the Canadian side.
Chivas USA, meanwhile, fielded a pair of former Toronto players as Alecko Eskandarian and Paulo Nagamura started for the hosts. Nagamura has played all but two games for Chivas USA while Eskandarian recently returned after a long battle with a groin injury and appeared for just the fourth time for his newest club.
It was Atiba Harris who had the game's first scoring opportunity. In the 12th minute, Razov and Kljestan worked some passes together in the middle of the field. Kljestan found the ball at the top of the area and raced into the box. He slipped a pass to Harris, who ripped a shot on goal. Toronto FC 'keeper Greg Sutton, though, dived and parried the ball across the end line.
On the quarter hour, Kljestan tackled Guevara from behind. Kljestan was booked for the challenge.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080831&content_id=184428&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Carver furious over defensive lapse
Toronto coach rips team for mistake that allowed late Chivas goal

CARSON, Calif. -- The way Toronto FC coach John Carver saw it, his side played defense with a noose around their necks. And it was goalkeeper Greg Sutton of all people who forced the club to ultimately hang itself. Sutton had a ball slip through his fingers and across the goal line deep in second-half stoppage time as Toronto FC lost 2-1 to Chivas USA at The Home Depot Center on Saturday.
"You can't defend like that. I thought it was going to come earlier," Carver said. "It was suicide defending and that's not good enough."
Toronto FC fell to 2-9-0 on the road and 7-10-5 overall. While the attack struggled on Saturday, one goal may have been enough to pull out a result.
But it was Atiba Harris who struck late. Sacha Kljestan took a corner kick and found Harris in front of the goal. Harris fired a shot on goal that had just enough behind it to get past Sutton's fingers and across the goal line.
Carver said the entire sequence leading up to the goal was inexcusable -- that Sutton played a key role in the breakdown made things worse.
"It was crazy, wasn't it? There was seconds left," Carver said. "We have the ball with the goalkeeper. He then rolls it out to one of our midfield players who was running with his back to the play. It ends up going out for a corner and it's in the back of the net. What is frustrating is that it comes from a guy who is an experienced player, an international... He's made some good saves in the game that's important. But with his experience I expected him just to keep it and then stick it in behind, we see the game out, we get the draw and it's better than losing all three points."

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080831&content_id=184498&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

http://i38.tinypic.com/xd8dcp.jpg

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html)

Carter
08-31-2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks Denime

bee dubya
08-31-2008, 08:43 AM
I can't believe that we're only 1 point better than the expansion San Jose Earthquakes. This is just fucking depressing now.

rocker
08-31-2008, 10:23 AM
I can't believe that we're only 1 point better than the expansion San Jose Earthquakes. This is just fucking depressing now.

our discovery player, huckerby has really lit it up for them. imagine what he'd be doing in toronto.

btw, that sunshine girl is ugly.. but what a body... get me the paper bag!

deltox
08-31-2008, 11:12 AM
with the top 3 from each division plus the next best 2 going into the playoffs, all is not lost.

we are 1 point behind the last playoff spot.

i know it will be tough. i know that everyone is pissed about last night.

but we are not out of it.

rocker
08-31-2008, 11:21 AM
isn't it 6 points out tho?
right now Chivas gets in not because they have 27 points (1 more than we do) but because they get the guaranteed 3rd spot in the west. since we can't get the 3rd spot in the west, we're actually chasing DC and NY for the last two non guaranteed spots.

ag futbol
08-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Huckerby is one element to their success. Alvares and some other pieces are the others.

Huckerby shows up here, who is going to give him the ball? What are his options going to be when he's running down the flank? Those answers are a lot differnt in SJ than they are here.

sidvan
08-31-2008, 12:58 PM
isn't it 6 points out tho?
right now Chivas gets in not because they have 27 points (1 more than we do) but because they get the guaranteed 3rd spot in the west. since we can't get the 3rd spot in the west, we're actually chasing DC and NY for the last two non guaranteed spots.

Yes, you are right.

didn't watch the game but saw the lowlights this morning...I am at a loss for words.

EGAD!!

rocker
08-31-2008, 08:23 PM
Huckerby is one element to their success. Alvares and some other pieces are the others.

Huckerby shows up here, who is going to give him the ball? What are his options going to be when he's running down the flank? Those answers are a lot differnt in SJ than they are here.

it's a balance of power thing too tho ... Huckerby not going to San Jose would have made TFC better and San Jose would be without a major scoring option -- which was their downfall early this season. One move made a big difference to both clubs.

torfchamilton
09-03-2008, 01:29 PM
btw, that sunshine girl is ugly.. but what a body... get me the paper bag!

My friend used to date her, smoking body but a face not be be desired!!!