PDA

View Full Version : Letter to MLS: Going for Playoffs Without 82% Starters

Batman
08-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Seeing we are missing 9 of 11 starters for next week, when we are in an absolute do or die battle to get into the playoffs got me thinking.

Is there any other league or sport in the entire fricking world that makes a team go through that? I can't think of one... but probably some of you can point one out.

Clearly we are going to suffer now for missed opportunities in July... but man, what a joke!

What would happen if an NFL, MLB, or NHL team were asked to do this? There would be rioting in the streets. It would be the non stop topic on sports radio. People would be calling for the commissioner's head. We must be vocal about this!

Don Garber does not post his personal email address on the MLS website but the following address is listed following his blog. I suggest we ask the exact same question I did to Don. Please be respectful but clear in your thoughts.

In order to bring this to MLS attention, I propose you send Don Garber the following letter.

His address is: don.garber@mlsnet.com

Dear Don,
Toronto FC will be missing 9 of 11 starters to international call ups
next week, when we are in an absolute do or die battle to get into the
playoffs.

Clearly having 9 players that are capable of international call up is
a credit to both Toronto FC and MLS.

However having to play without 82% of our starters is absolutely
unacceptable at this crucial point of the season.

Is there any other league or sport in the world that makes a team go
through that? I can't think of one.

Please think about this. What would happen if an NFL, MLB, or NHL team were asked to do this?
There would be rioting in the streets. It would be the non stop topic on sports radio. Why would MLS consider this to be less important to their fans than it would be to the other North American leagues fans?

Even though MLS isn't currently at the forefront of sports in North America, like the sports listed earlier, such an injustice should still not be allowed to occur. If we want to be considered a Major League, we best conduct ourselves like a Major League.

MLS should do everything in it's power to reschedule this match.

I recognize the difficulties in dealing with FIFA dates in our limited
summer schedule, but to be fair to the fans, this is a situation that
requires quick rectification for this match.

Regards,

Red CB Toronto
08-30-2008, 03:13 PM
MLS has to respect official fifa days especially ones that are set for world cup qualifiers, no league games should be played on the game day, day before and day after, this is a joke.

ManUtd4ever
08-30-2008, 03:15 PM
MLS has to respect official fifa days especially ones that are set for world cup qualifiers, no league games should be played on the game day, day before and day after, this is a joke.

It's beyond a joke, it's fucking sad...

Daveisonfire
08-30-2008, 03:21 PM
What would happen if an NFL, MLB, or NHL team were asked to do this? There would be rioting in the streets. It would be the non stop topic on sports radio. People would be calling for the commissioner's head.

Good point

James17930
08-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Okay, I agree with this point, but do we really need to go on about it? We'll still have Barrett, RR, JoSmith, Harmse, Rosenlund, and, you know, some other. Let's see them get out there and pull another Colorado.

We'll be at home, so I expect you guys to be on top form. I think we can get a result, no question.

rocker
08-30-2008, 03:35 PM
ya, that's the positive side. i hear people here and on other boards talking about how canadians need a chance, and how hot some of these young canadians are... well boys, here's your chance. prove it. great opportunity for the kids like Gala and Melo to show what they got.
maybe because they are fighting for a shot they'll give it their all and impress.

koryo
08-30-2008, 03:48 PM
MLS: Mickey League Soccer.

I know this league is back-water fare, but ignoring FIFA international dates? The sheer incompetence is staggering.

Batman
08-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Okay, I agree with this point, but do we really need to go on about it? We'll still have Barrett, RR, JoSmith, Harmse, Rosenlund, and, you know, some other. Let's see them get out there and pull another Colorado.

We'll be at home, so I expect you guys to be on top form. I think we can get a result, no question.

We need to go on about it if we feel we have a chance of doing something about it.

I think there's a chance we can get this match rescheduled, so rather than resign to it and simply hope our scrubs can pull another one out of the hat...I'm trying to take action. (miracles usually don't happen twice in the same year)

TFCREDNWHITE
08-30-2008, 04:00 PM
We need to go on about it if we feel we have a chance of doing something about it.

I think there's a chance we can get this match rescheduled, so rather than resign to it and simply hope our scrubs can pull another one out of the hat...I'm trying to take action. (miracles usually don't happen twice in the same year)

I'll send an email but i highly doubt that they will reschedule the game 5 hours before game time!?!

Shakes McQueen
08-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Batman: I sent your email three times, from my three current email addresses. Well written letter. I hope he opens one of them.

- Scott

Batman
08-30-2008, 04:08 PM
I'll send an email but i highly doubt that they will reschedule the game 5 hours before game time!?!

5 hours..? the problem is with next weekends game, not tonights.

Even that is probably unlikely, but I'd rather do what is within my power to do, rather than just be the typical fan and just sit around and whine about it.

Thanks for sending the letter.

Batman
08-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Batman: I sent your email three times, from my three current email addresses. Well written letter. I hope he opens one of them.

- Scott

NIce, it can't hurt. Thanks Scott

rocker
08-30-2008, 04:13 PM
one advantage: Chivas will have no damn clue how to prepare for the second game :)
they'll see all these guys they've never heard of out on the field. Quite a different "look" from today's game. Sometimes that can make a difference.

Kickit09
08-30-2008, 04:32 PM
i bet that is one od the reaons older players are coming to the MLS now. they get to miss so many cub games and play less games are year.

Blizzard
08-30-2008, 04:33 PM

FIFA should make it mandatory!

ben_vw
08-30-2008, 04:37 PM
next saturday is going to be rough - here is what we could be fielding...

--------------------edwards-------------------------
--hemming----velez------harmse---------gala----
-ibee--------ricketts------rosenlund-----jo smith-
---------------dichio-------barrett------------------

if dichio isn't healthy then we might have to play 4-5-1 or try a 3-5-2...

denime
08-30-2008, 04:55 PM
This is the email I sent to Garber: Feel free to use it.

Dear Don,
playoffs.

However having to do without 92% of our starters is absolutely

What would happen if an NFL, MLB, or NHL team were asked to do this?
There would be rioting in the streets. It would be the non stop topic
on sports radio.

Even though MLS isn't at the forefront of sports in North America,
like the sports listed earlier, such an injustice should still not be
allowed to occur. MLS should do everything in it's power to reschedule
this match.

requires rapid rectification at least for this match.

Regards,

Try this email addressees:

don.garber@mlsnet.com

ivan.gazidis@mlsnet.com

mark.abbott@mlsnet.com

douglas.quinn@mlsnet.com ;)

I sent and copy to other three idiots from MLS, twice.

MisterMacphisto
08-30-2008, 04:56 PM
The email I sent yesterday:

Hello and good day Mr. Garber.

My name is _____ ________, a Toronto FC 3 Seat Season Ticket Holder. I got to meet and shake your hand at the All Star Game, and meet and shake your hand at last years MLS Cup game in DC.

I'm very concerned and disappointed by the fact that on Saturday, September 6th when Toronto FC plays Chivas USA, Toronto FC will be missing a mind boggling 9 players due to International games! Greg Sutton and Jim Brennan to Canada, Tyrone Marshall to Jamaica, Julius James to Trinidad and Tobago, Marvell Wynne to the U.S., Carl Robinson to Wales, Jarrod Smith to New Zealand, Amado Guevara to Honduras and Carlos Ruiz to Guatemala. Throw in a couple of TFC injuries just for fun like Dunnivant and possibly Dichio, and you have quite a team.

This game, in my opinion, needs to be postposed. I will not be attending this game as it stands now. If the game goes on as is, I will be requesting a refund as I did not pay to see a Toronto FC Reserve game with a few starters.

Please do the right thing, and postpone this game and do something to insure that this unfair situation does not happen in the future.

Sincerely,

______ _____________

Bobo
08-30-2008, 04:59 PM
This is the email I sent to Garber: Feel free to use it.

Dear Don,
playoffs.

However having to do without 92% of our starters is absolutely

What would happen if an NFL, MLB, or NHL team were asked to do this?
There would be rioting in the streets. It would be the non stop topic
on sports radio.

Even though MLS isn't at the forefront of sports in North America,
like the sports listed earlier, such an injustice should still not be
allowed to occur. MLS should do everything in it's power to reschedule
this match.

requires rapid rectification at least for this match.

Regards,

What's the email address?

tfc2007
08-30-2008, 05:28 PM
5 hours..? the problem is with next weekends game, not tonights.

Even that is probably unlikely, but I'd rather do what is within my power to do, rather than just be the typical fan and just sit around and whine about it.

Thanks for sending the letter.

Well written letter; on it's way from my account.

Batman
08-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Try this email addressees:

don.garber@mlsnet.com

ivan.gazidis@mlsnet.com

mark.abbott@mlsnet.com

douglas.quinn@mlsnet.com ;)

I sent and copy to other three idiots from MLS, twice.

Thanks, I've added Don's email address to the letter.

Batman
08-30-2008, 05:36 PM
What's the email address?

don.garber@mlsnet.com

jabbronies
08-30-2008, 05:48 PM
The NHL shuts down for 2 weeks during the olympics....This is so that teams are not without key players during the playoff run.

andyc
08-30-2008, 07:28 PM
I sent the note below to 'askthecommissioner@mlsnet.com' yesterday. I'll send it to the other address as well. I don't hold up much hope for next weeks game, hence my focus on next year...

I have just read your comments on your August 29th blog regarding scheduling difficulties and FIFA dates.

I’m very pleased that you recognize that this is a problem however I would ask you to commit to resolve this problem for the 2009 season. Given the small salary cap and 18 man roster, having a number of players called up for international duty is a significant disadvantage for teams. For example, the team that I support (Toronto FC) will likely loose 9 senior players to international call ups next week. Given an 18 man senior roster how can this be fair?? 50% of the senior players will be missing! If this were a one time event, I could hold my nose and ignore the disparity, but in your blog you acknowledge that this problem will only get worse as time goes on and it will impact TFC multiple times this season.

I would like to suggest a relatively simple way to resolve this issue. Invoke a new rule that says if more than X players are likely to miss a game for one team, they have the option of requesting the game be rescheduled. You constantly deal with this type of issue for bad weather, so why can’t it be extended to missing players. I would like to also suggest that X (number of players missing due to international duty) be relatively small. I believe that if 3 players are missing the game then this is 1/6 of the roster and an unfair advantage may be obtained by the opposition.

Alternatively you could abide by the FIFA calendar as per the rest of the world or significantly raise the salary cap and number of players on the roster… If you choose not to address this issue then you will be unfairly influencing games in a league where one of the primary objectives is parity.

I would appreciate hearing your view of the situation.

Thanks

Andy

Batman
08-30-2008, 07:48 PM
good letter Andy. It's worth a try. Who knows... Maybe they'll even try to do something for next week. It's a slim chance, I know, but it's worth asking.

RPB_Brantford_08
08-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Seeing we are missing 9 of 11 starters for next week, when we are in an absolute do or die battle to get into the playoffs got me thinking.

Is there any other league or sport in the entire fricking world that makes a team go through that? I can't think of one... but probably some of you can point one out.

Clearly we are going to suffer now for missed opportunities in July... but man, what a joke!

What would happen if an NFL, MLB, or NHL team were asked to do this? There would be rioting in the streets. It would be the non stop topic on sports radio. People would be calling for the commissioner's head. We must be vocal about this!

Don Garber does not post his personal email address on the MLS website but the following address is listed following his blog. I suggest we ask the exact same question I did to Don. Please be respectful but clear in your thoughts.

In order to bring this to MLS attention, I propose you send Don Garber the following letter.

His address is: don.garber@mlsnet.com

Dear Don,
playoffs.

However having to play without 82% of our starters is absolutely

Please think about this. What would happen if an NFL, MLB, or NHL team were asked to do this?
There would be rioting in the streets. It would be the non stop topic on sports radio. Why would MLS consider this to be less important to their fans than it would be to the other North American leagues fans?

Even though MLS isn't currently at the forefront of sports in North America, like the sports listed earlier, such an injustice should still not be allowed to occur. If we want to be considered a Major League, we best conduct ourselves like a Major League.

MLS should do everything in it's power to reschedule this match.

requires quick rectification for this match.

Regards,

thanks for Garbers address been looking for that for a while.

andyc
08-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks.

I just forwarded it to the Garber address and said that the more I consider the issue, the more I feel he must intervene next week...

As you say, it's worth a try...

scrotzy
08-30-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm wondering if there is anyway that the team could refuse to release these players for international duty. This would fix the problem real quick. FIFA would become involved overnight. TFC pays these guys good bucks and have millions riding on a playoff bearth or not.;

I think this would be the only way to fix the problem is Garber is going to be a dink.

Terry
08-30-2008, 08:39 PM
The email I sent yesterday:

Hello and good day Mr. Garber.

My name is _____ ________, a Toronto FC 3 Seat Season Ticket Holder. I got to meet and shake your hand at the All Star Game, and meet and shake your hand at last years MLS Cup game in DC.

I'm very concerned and disappointed by the fact that on Saturday, September 6th when Toronto FC plays Chivas USA, Toronto FC will be missing a mind boggling 9 players due to International games! Greg Sutton and Jim Brennan to Canada, Tyrone Marshall to Jamaica, Julius James to Trinidad and Tobago, Marvell Wynne to the U.S., Carl Robinson to Wales, Jarrod Smith to New Zealand, Amado Guevara to Honduras and Carlos Ruiz to Guatemala. Throw in a couple of TFC injuries just for fun like Dunnivant and possibly Dichio, and you have quite a team.

This game, in my opinion, needs to be postposed. I will not be attending this game as it stands now. If the game goes on as is, I will be requesting a refund as I did not pay to see a Toronto FC Reserve game with a few starters.

Please do the right thing, and postpone this game and do something to insure that this unfair situation does not happen in the future.

Sincerely,

______ _____________

You think he's going to postpone the game because you threaten not to attend a game you have already put money towards? :noidea:

RPB_Brantford_08
08-30-2008, 09:06 PM
sent my letter, expect a standard business reply, thanks for your intrest in MLS etc, etc...

wzhxvy
08-30-2008, 09:19 PM
5 emails sent. Thanks for the initiative guys. Lets see what the response is.

Nerepis
08-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Great Job Batman,

A lot of people on this board will sit in front of their computers and bemoan the fact that this or that is the problem with this league. You are taking concrete action, and whether it works or not, at least making your views known to others outside of this safe little cocoon called The Red Patch Boys Forum. The only thing I might suggest is that we all should write our own letter, that way the sentiment has, in my opinion, more power. Its easy to dismiss a form letter, separate letters is a whole different story. I'll be writing mine tomorrow morning hopefully after a TFC win tonight. Thanks for the encouragement.

Come on you Reds

Batman
08-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Great Job Batman,

A lot of people on this board will sit in front of their computers and bemoan the fact that this or that is the problem with this league. You are taking concrete action, and whether it works or not, at least making your views known to others outside of this safe little cocoon called The Red Patch Boys Forum. The only thing I might suggest is that we all should write our own letter, that way the sentiment has, in my opinion, more power. Its easy to dismiss a form letter, separate letters is a whole different story. I'll be writing mine tomorrow morning hopefully after a TFC win tonight. Thanks for the encouragement.

Come on you Reds

Thanks Nerepsis.
Good idea. Although I like my letter, I agree that if everyone wrote one in their own words it would be more effective.

I also ask however, everyone to write a sane, sensible, respectful letter. If we want to be taken seriously we shouldn't come across like some kind of nutcase fan idiots.

Cheers
Pat

Nerepis
08-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks Nerepsis.
Good idea. Although I like my letter, I agree that if everyone wrote one in their own words it would be more effective.

I also ask however, everyone to write a sane, sensible, respectful letter. If we want to be taken seriously we shouldn't come across like some kind of nutcase fan idiots.

Cheers
Pat

Amen to that.

ilikemusic
08-30-2008, 10:35 PM
These kinds of ridiculous problems are nothing new.

MLS isnt going to change it rules because of one dedicated fanbase though. This same crap has been going on for years.

Batman
08-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Crap! After the heartbreaking loss tonight, it probably doesn't matter now anyway!

ilikemusic
08-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Crap! After the heartbreaking loss tonight, it probably doesn't matter now anyway!

The replacements will probably put on a better performance than this so called 'first team'.

Considering the quality of our starters and our results when they arent available it seems our squad may as well be a completely arbitrary selection anyway.

MG42
08-31-2008, 12:03 AM
With all of these starters out, just watch the reserves come out with a 2-0 win :)

FCBarcelona
08-31-2008, 12:19 AM
=================

Totally agree,

EVERY OTHER COUNTRY stops league play to allow international game to be played. MLS new aboot this and they have said screw you.

:mad:

ilikemusic
08-31-2008, 12:20 AM
=================

Totally agree,

EVERY OTHER COUNTRY stops league play to allow international game to be played. MLS new aboot this and they have said screw you.

:mad:

Except for all of FIFA when the African Cup of Nations is on.

FCBarcelona
08-31-2008, 12:23 AM
=========
oops forgot that :D

TicTacTabarnack
08-31-2008, 12:39 AM
I was alll for writing this email tonight when I got back from watching the game at Showless Joes ... But ... Eugh ... After tonight's game ... I just don't know if it's worth it. I think we just pissed away our last chance at making a playoff run tonight.

Oblio2
08-31-2008, 12:44 AM
I will send my own letter:

Dear Don.
You are a cunt.
Love
Oblio2

Brooker
08-31-2008, 02:40 AM
i just dont understand how they can justify taking 20,000 peoples hard earned money and field a team of reserves.

:noidea:

quite the slap in the face. makes you realize how much growing up this league has to do.

if you can cancel a game because of weather, you can certainly cancel a game because one team can't even field a professional team.

Carter
08-31-2008, 08:31 AM
i just dont understand how they can justify taking 20,000 peoples hard earned money and field a team of reserves.

:noidea:

quite the slap in the face. makes you realize how much growing up this league has to do.

if you can cancel a game because of weather, you can certainly cancel a game because one team can't even field a professional team.

After the game our "starting XI" played last night, other than Jimmy B, I'm looking forward to these kids playing maybe they will win a fuckin game....

Good Idea though Batman, big props to you.

kelzag
08-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Letter sent and thank-you Batman.
Aside from last night's dismal performance, this is still an issue that will affect us down the road and needs to be addressed.

sulfur
08-31-2008, 09:23 AM
That's because the ANC doesn't respect the FIFA dates. :)

profit89
08-31-2008, 09:30 AM
And then the league wonders why it's not taken seriously...

There is no reason why it cannot implement changes such as single table, and accord with fifa calendar... i dont buy these constant excuses.... all the other summer leagues around the world do it (Russia, Japan, Sweden)... gimme a break Garber

kdzb
08-31-2008, 09:48 AM
Doesn't make any difference if we have our 9 players or not. We lost last night with a complete squad.
At least we can have an excuse if we lose next week and say that we were short 9 players.

LucaGol
08-31-2008, 10:50 AM
And then the league wonders why it's not taken seriously...

There is no reason why it cannot implement changes such as single table, and accord with fifa calendar... i dont buy these constant excuses.... all the other summer leagues around the world do it (Russia, Japan, Sweden)... gimme a break Garber

Because this is America.....god dammit...we do thing's our way and don't follow anyone's lead.

We're number 1 and this is the way we're going to run things. So f*ck off global footballing community.

Does that sum it up for you? It's just more dumb USA hillbilly mentality....no offense to any Americans on the board....but hey...let's face it...you did elect George Bush.

ricciboy
08-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Good point

i agree

RPB_Brantford_08
08-31-2008, 08:27 PM
sent my letter, expect a standard business reply, thanks for your intrest in MLS etc, etc...

still waiting for reply...maybe should not bother.

Alixir
09-01-2008, 09:32 AM

J League in Japan.
But unlike the MLS J league teams are only allowed to have 4 foriegners per team and most of the teams are made up of 98% Japanese players so each team only loses 1 or 2 players for international duty (except my team who had 5 NT players on it last year....which eventually led to our demise and relegation on the horizon come this december :( )

mike_bouma
09-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Finally a 'Open Letter' for an actual issue and something that every MLS fan should be upset about. Talk about diminishing the intergrity of the league. Not only would this not happen in any other sport in North America... what soccer league would you ever see this in. Disgusting. Even if we didn't desperatly need points this would be unacceptable.

Good on ya guys. I'm sending out a few copies right now.

tfcmanu
09-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Toronto FC will play Chivas USA on Saturday without nine of its 11 starters. Coach John Carver, above, appealed to the league to reschedule the match, but was turned down.

The league's refusal to adjust to the international soccer calendar leaves many of its teams having to play too many games without national team players.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...0,453989.story (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-soccer4-2008sep04,0,453989.story)

Shaughno
09-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Fantastic part at the end of that article...

The SuperLiga, the U.S. Open Cup, the CONCACAF Champions League, the Pan-Pacific Championship and all the rest only clutter up the MLS calendar with meaningless games that fans do not care about.

Reorganize the league without conferences. Have the 15 MLS teams play each other once at home and once on the road for a total of 28 games. The league has fallen into the same trap as the Galaxy -- trying to run before it can walk, trying to be global before it is even local.

All that fans want is a decent league with decent players. The rest is nothing but window dressing.