PDA

View Full Version : Gerry Dobson-A real shame

denime
08-30-2008, 07:33 AM
A real shame

What a shame. It's a fine day in Southern California as Toronto FC prepares to play Chivas USA in a critical league match. The mood among the players is upbeat. It's a solid squad. The wayward Carlos Ruiz is in the fold. He seems quite happy as we chat after training. This is a quality team looking for big things.
And they had better come up with the three points. Because the undercurrent is one of frustration, bewilderment and, quite frankly, disgust over what is about to happen next week. That is when the league's main shortcoming is about to hit Toronto right between the eyes.

We're talking about the consequences of the league's refusal or inability to deal effectively and fairly with international dates. The next round of World Cup Qualifying means Toronto could lose an astonishing nine players for next Saturday's match against Chivas USA at BMO Field.

Let's go through it. Sutton and Brennan to Canada, Tyrone Marshall to Jamaica, Julius James to Trinidad and Tobago, Marvell Wynne to the U.S. and Carl Robinson to Wales.

Had enough? How about Jarrod Smith to New Zealand, Amado Guevara to Honduras and Carlos Ruiz to Guatemala. Throw in the injuries to Todd Dunivant, Nana Attakora and Danny Dichio and it's nothing short of a disaster.

It's so bad, the Reds actually petitioned the league this week to have this match postponed. Toronto likely would have had an ally in Chivas, as injuries have decimated coach Preki's side. TFC may not have three substitutes on the bench.

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/08/30/dobson_tfc_mls_help/)

MG42
08-30-2008, 07:40 AM
I don't know who to be mad at, but am I ever pissed lol!

SLBuu
08-30-2008, 07:42 AM
i'm sad now!!

Brooker
08-30-2008, 07:46 AM
lol.... im just trying to wrap my head around this.

if it was any other league, could this POSSIBLY be acceptable? not likely.

GO MLS, GO! *puts on mickey mouse hat*

and yes. if we were the LA Beckhams, they would move our match back.

To rub salt into the wound, just imagine the following scenario: A shorthanded Toronto lose to Chivas next Saturday while influential midfielder Amado Guevara is helping Honduras hammer a nail into Canada's coffin by beating our World Cup team in Montreal. It could happen.

uh oh i just shit myself.

Kooper
08-30-2008, 08:18 AM
I think it is time for Carver to play the Sir Alex Ferguson card and in protest declare all his players injured for their international games then have them play in mid week.

boban
08-30-2008, 08:20 AM
I think it is time for Carver to play the Sir Alex Ferguson card and in protest declare all his players injured for their international games then have them play in mid week.
Canada games are more important than TFC games.

Shakes McQueen
08-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Canada games are more important than TFC games.

Luckily only two of the eight are being called up to the CMNT.

- Scott

denime
08-30-2008, 08:47 AM

Even if Carver try to do that,players would tell him to fu*k off,and would go to play for their National teams.For a player to participate at WC is more important than winning bush league called MLS.

S_D
08-30-2008, 09:24 AM
It may take a game forfeiture for the league to get the point.

Another option is for STH to start a letter/email campaign to the front office complaining about the lack of quality players on the pitch and questioning the value of the game tickets.

But at the end of the day, it isn't just MLS's fault, some of the blame has to go to Mo. He knows that many of the TFC players are in their national team pools, and it was Mo who acquired them for TFC. <not Mo bashing, just stating the obvious>

If the MLS won't adjust their schedule, some of the TFC players in their NT pools are going to have to go. Replace the players who are getting on in age and the least talented first.

Kevvv
08-30-2008, 09:29 AM
So just to be clear, you're saying Mo should replace some of the squad with players too old or not good enough for their MNT?

S_D
08-30-2008, 09:31 AM
So just to be clear, you're saying Mo should replace some of the squad with players too old or not good enough for their MNT?

Yep except the old part lol We don't need 40 year olds on the pitch. There are a lot of quality players out there who are not good enough for the NT's because their countries have very deep NT player pools. Some of the countries in South America come to mind, as do some from Europe.

Eastend
08-30-2008, 09:41 AM
It may take a game forfeiture for the league to get the point.

Another option is for STH to start a letter/email campaign to the front office complaining about the lack of quality players on the pitch and questioning the value of the game tickets.

But at the end of the day, it isn't just MLS's fault, some of the blame has to go to Mo. He knows that many of the TFC players are in their national team pools, and it was Mo who acquired them for TFC. <not Mo bashing, just stating the obvious>

If the MLS won't adjust their schedule, some of the TFC players in their NT pools are going to have to go. Replace the players who are getting on in age and the least talented first.

Sorry but I couldn't disagree more. That's just ridiculous to say because Mo went out and got the best players he could it's partly his fault that we are loosing them for a FIFA date. IMO, it just goes to prove what individual quality we actually do have here.....we just need them to perform well as a team.

giambac
08-30-2008, 10:06 AM
A real shame

What a shame. It's a fine day in Southern California as Toronto FC prepares to play Chivas USA in a critical league match. The mood among the players is upbeat. It's a solid squad. The wayward Carlos Ruiz is in the fold. He seems quite happy as we chat after training. This is a quality team looking for big things.
And they had better come up with the three points. Because the undercurrent is one of frustration, bewilderment and, quite frankly, disgust over what is about to happen next week. That is when the league's main shortcoming is about to hit Toronto right between the eyes.

We're talking about the consequences of the league's refusal or inability to deal effectively and fairly with international dates. The next round of World Cup Qualifying means Toronto could lose an astonishing nine players for next Saturday's match against Chivas USA at BMO Field.

Let's go through it. Sutton and Brennan to Canada, Tyrone Marshall to Jamaica, Julius James to Trinidad and Tobago, Marvell Wynne to the U.S. and Carl Robinson to Wales.

Had enough? How about Jarrod Smith to New Zealand, Amado Guevara to Honduras and Carlos Ruiz to Guatemala. Throw in the injuries to Todd Dunivant, Nana Attakora and Danny Dichio and it's nothing short of a disaster.

It's so bad, the Reds actually petitioned the league this week to have this match postponed. Toronto likely would have had an ally in Chivas, as injuries have decimated coach Preki's side. TFC may not have three substitutes on the bench.

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/08/30/dobson_tfc_mls_help/)

I for one don't feel soory for our boys.
I do understand that they will be at a big disadvantage.

However, it is largely do to their own poor performance that we are even in this predictament. We need a win. However, what about the lost opportunities/games we blew and should have won. I'm talking about Kc at home in June, tie at home vs expansion SJ, tie at home vs RSL, loss on road to NY when we had the extra man etc etc etc. If we won the games we should have won then we wouldn't be in this predictament.

This is now just an excuse to let our boys off the hook. They have to stop whining and suck it up. Look at yourselves in the mirror and hold each other accountable. They let this season which began so promising slip away. face up to it.

ManUtd4ever
08-30-2008, 10:16 AM

However, it is largely do to their own poor performance that we are even in this predictament. We need a win. However, what about the lost opportunities/games we blew and should have won. I'm talking about Kc at home in June, tie at home vs expansion SJ, tie at home vs RSL, loss on road to NY when we had the extra man etc etc etc. If we won the games we should have won then we wouldn't be in this predictament.

This is now just an excuse to let our boys off the hook. They have to stop whining and suck it up. Look at yourselves in the mirror and hold each other accountable. They let this season which began so promising slip away. face up to it.

:deadhorse: :Yawn: :shocked: :banghead:

Draracle
08-30-2008, 10:16 AM

ah, the irrational negativity of giambac. It is our fault that we have let so many point slip, but this isn't about lost points to close games. This is about the MLS being asinine pricks with FIFA. Toronto shouldn't be punished for signing the biggest names from their respective nations, if anything we should be supported. Puerto Rico is more or less interested in the MLS now? What about Whales? Jamacia? If the MLS wants to grow its fan base, domestically and internationally, they will encourage the teams to sign players that are known. Not follow DC's lead and sign an entire squad of guys who are rarely seen outside of the MLS.

S_D
08-30-2008, 10:21 AM
We all know one of the major problems of the MLS is it's refusal to adhere to FIFA dates. (and for the record I think the MLS is total bush league for doing this too)

Just as in business, you play to your strengths and attempt to minimize your weaknesses. A manager's job is to come up with strategies to minimize or address weaknesses via player acquisition.

A major threat to any team in the MLS is losing players to FIFA dates. By having too many players in the NT pools on one team magnifies this threat. Many teams can handle 1 or 2 absences but I can't see any team in the MLS managing up to 9 and still putting a quality team on the pitch.

Many posters here say it isn't fair that DCU isn't being affected by the NT call ups because they don't have any on their team. I don't call this unfair, I call this smart management on DCU's part. By not having NT players on their team, everyone else becomes weaker than them giving them an edge.

We can all bitch and complain about the FIFA dates/call ups, but if the MLS is unwilling to make adjustments to their schedules, team managers are going to have to adjust their strategies to address this or face what we are facing in the Chivas game.

Play manager for a few minutes. MLS ignoring FIFA dates are here, and quite possibly to stay. What strategies would you use?

1) Continue to put pressure on the league to not schedule games on FIFA dates (dropping Superliga etc.)
2) Don't have too many players in their respective NT pools
3)?
4)?

If 1) comes about then great, we get to play all of our players. What happens when 1) doesn't happen? What else can a team do (i.e. contingenciy planning)? And that is the situation TFC is in. I am not looking to be arguementative, I am looking for possible solutions.

If 1) does not happen then the only solution that I can see is not having NT as many NT pool players on your team to minimize the damage.

Draracle
08-30-2008, 10:30 AM
We all know one of the major problems of the MLS is it's refusal to adhere to FIFA dates. (and for the record I think the MLS is total bush league for doing this too)

Just as in business, you play to your strengths and attempt to minimize your weaknesses. A manager's job is to come up with strategies to minimize or address weaknesses via player acquisition.

A major threat to any team in the MLS is losing players to FIFA dates. By having too many players in the NT pools on one team magnifies this threat. Many teams can handle 1 or 2 absences but I can't see any team in the MLS managing up to 9 and still putting a quality team on the pitch.

Many posters here say it isn't fair that DCU isn't being affected by the NT call ups because they don't have any on their team. I don't call this unfair, I call this smart management on DCU's part. By not having NT players on their team, everyone else becomes weaker than them giving them an edge.

We can all bitch and complain about the FIFA dates/call ups, but if the MLS is unwilling to make adjustments to their schedules, team managers are going to have to adjust their strategies to address this or face what we are facing in the Chivas game.

Play manager for a few minutes. MLS ignoring FIFA dates are here, and quite possibly to stay. What strategies would you use?

1) Continue to put pressure on the league to not schedule games on FIFA dates (dropping Superliga etc.)
2) Don't have too many players in their respective NT pools
3)?
4)?

If 1) comes about then great, we get to play all of our players. What happens when 1) doesn't happen? What else can a team do (i.e. contingenciy planning)? And that is the situation TFC is in. I am not looking to be arguementative, I am looking for possible solutions.

If 1) does not happen then the only solution that I can see is not having NT as many NT pool players on your team to minimize the damage.

I think DC has played they system well, they know that the 3-9 extra points they might pick up a season because of call ups will make a big difference. But I think the system is self destructive, as stated in my previous post. If the MLS wants to grow and be respected it needs to attract the best and most known players. Supporting a system which gives the advantage to teams that bring in relative unknowns (regardless of their quality) does not support the over all goals of the MLS. This is just a strategic mistake by the MLS, thinking they could help the league by greating the best possible schedule regardless of the international dates. Eventually they will be proven wrong -- either by absences of the biggest names or successes of the least known clubs.

bangersandmash
08-30-2008, 10:41 AM
But didn't this happen last month? And didn't we WIN!? There is talent on the bench. Good, wholesome, Canadian talent. So while the SRs are away playing, I will be cheering for the Canadian lads who finally get their swing at a full 90 of first team action here in TO.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-30-2008, 10:56 AM
But didn't this happen last month? And didn't we WIN!? There is talent on the bench. Good, wholesome, Canadian talent. So while the SRs are away playing, I will be cheering for the Canadian lads who finally get their swing at a full 90 of first team action here in TO.

It doesnt even look like we can field a full team at this point unless we are playing people way out of position

TFCREDNWHITE
08-30-2008, 11:17 AM
FUCK MLS!!

They need to get their shit together! They need to look to FiFa, UEFA Premiership, La Liga and Serie A as to HOW to do things correctly when it comes to statisfying both Club and Country. Their is a way to make everyone happy and MLS refuse's to get CREATIVE!!!

in closing: FUCK MLS!!

MisterMacphisto
08-30-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm not going to this game out of principle, and I'm going to let Don Garber and MLS know via a letter that I'm feeling gipped by this game.

denime
08-30-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm not going to this game out of principle, and I'm going to let Don Garber and MLS know via a letter that I'm feeling gipped by this game.

Same here,fuck MLS morons,and email is already sent.My seats will be empty,and no no one can get my tickets.

giambac
08-30-2008, 07:39 PM
ah, the irrational negativity of giambac. It is our fault that we have let so many point slip, but this isn't about lost points to close games. This is about the MLS being asinine pricks with FIFA. Toronto shouldn't be punished for signing the biggest names from their respective nations, if anything we should be supported. Puerto Rico is more or less interested in the MLS now? What about Whales? Jamacia? If the MLS wants to grow its fan base, domestically and internationally, they will encourage the teams to sign players that are known. Not follow DC's lead and sign an entire squad of guys who are rarely seen outside of the MLS.

No this thread is about another excuse to cover up how brutal we are. I'm sick and tired of ALL THE EXCUSES MADE FOR THIS TEAM.Who really cares if we are missing 7 players. We don't win with them in the lineup, so what's the big deal??? After we lose next week everyone will say that we are out of the [layoffs and it's because of the MLS schedule.

FACE REALITY. This team sucks and isn't a playoff team. Reality bites and it hurts but the sooner you accept it, the sooner you can move on and try to rebuild.

giambac
08-30-2008, 07:42 PM
It doesnt even look like we can field a full team at this point unless we are playing people way out of position

I AM CANADIAN and

I AM AVAILABLE

all they have to do is call me.........

giambac
08-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Same here,fuck MLS morons,and email is already sent.My seats will be empty,and no no one can get my tickets.

I'm sure this is going to make a difference.:cool:

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-30-2008, 08:04 PM
I hate to say this but I kind of looking forward to seeing some the younger players play (I really don’t think we’re playoff bound). I can understand the team’s and supporters frustration, but why doesn’t the team try to be a little proactive about this. We’ve got two development spots open why not sign a couple of the CSL’s better young players and throw them into the mix?
I personally don’t see how the team cannot have a full dev. roster. I don’t see any harm in carrying a couple players who might seem like long shots. Doesn’t cost the team anything.

VPjr
08-30-2008, 11:33 PM
We’ve got two development spots open why not sign a couple of the CSL’s better young players and throw them into the mix?
I personally don’t see how the team cannot have a full dev. roster. I don’t see any harm in carrying a couple players who might seem like long shots. Doesn’t cost the team anything.

good idea but MLS would probably block it because the CSL teams might want a $5000 transfer fee and "the Don" doesn't want to set a bad precedent.

Seriously though, there are a couple of players that would be perfect for TFC to sign to a Dev contract but I wouldn't count on it.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-31-2008, 12:06 AM
I agree I don’t think they will either based on their what the team has done in the past. I just don’t get it. The salary doesn’t come out of the team’s pocket. It doesn’t roll over for next year. I don’t see why TFC won’t give a two of Jonke, Selvin, or Hurtis a try - maybe they’re over age for the dev. roster?