PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Saturday, Aug.30

denime
08-30-2008, 07:29 AM
Strikers add jump to TFC
LARRY MILLSON
TORONTO — Toronto FC head John Carver has frequently this season said how much his team needed accomplished strikers. Now, he has two to work with.
Chad Barrett arrived after a trade with the Chicago Fire a month ago, and has scored two goals in four games with Toronto.
Carlos Ruiz, obtained in a trade last week with the Los Angeles Galaxy, will play his first match for TFC Saturday night in Carson, Calif., against Chivas USA.
"We've been crying out for strikers and now we have two up there, I'm looking forward to the game," Carver said before his Major League Soccer team departed for Los Angeles. "It's given everybody a jump.

"When [Ruiz] walked in the other day, everybody got a huge boost, myself included, all the staff, all the players, because we know what quality he brings. The whole team is getting a massive boost from this situation. It's okay talking about the boost, we've now got to take that out onto the pitch and produce the goods on the pitch."

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080829.wspt-tfc-29/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

TFC: Eight men out
And Carver feels for fans

By DEAN MCNULTY (dean.mcnulty@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA
Looking past the next game on the Major League Soccer schedule is not something Toronto FC coach John Carver likes to do.
In fact, he regularly chastises anyone on his staff caught looking too far ahead.
So he admitted that it was completely out of character for him to peek into next week going into tonight's game at Carson, Calif., against Chivas USA.
Carver's TFC will face the same squad next Saturday back at BMO Field for the second game of a late season home-and-home affair. What is worrying Carver is that the team he puts on the pitch tonight will be drastically different than the roster he'll have in a week's time.
"I feel bad for our fans," Carver said of the eight starting players who will be out with international commitments next week.

"It isn't fair that the fans are coming to watch a football match and their team is down eight players."
It is a lament that Carver has cried several times this season. He blames Major League Soccer for not re-scheduling games for teams that have to give up players for international duty.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/08/30/6614226-sun.html)

http://i34.tinypic.com/30jsjd1.jpg

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html)

Parkdale
08-30-2008, 07:51 AM
g'morning!

8 men down is not a good way to play. Hopefully someone can let the league know it's time to wake up to the FIFA international schedule.

boban
08-30-2008, 08:13 AM
g'morning!

8 men down is not a good way to play. Hopefully someone can let the league know it's time to wake up to the FIFA international schedule.
Or someone can tell TFC how to go about picking and siging players in the MLS as to avoid this.
They knew the rules. Made your bed. Lie in it.

Parkdale
08-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Or someone can tell TFC how to go about picking and siging players in the MLS as to avoid this.

that's just ridiculous. The team is already picking from a limited group of players, so the last thing they should have to worry about is conflicting international dates. If it was one or two guys missing, like Edu and Wynne during the Olympics, then we have no right to complain, but this isn't 2 guys - it's 8. There's a big difference.

Shakes McQueen
08-30-2008, 08:20 AM

Goofy argument. The fact that we sign good players who frequently get called up to their International squads isn't the fault of poor judgment from TFC, it's the fault of poor judgment from MLS.

Especially when your refusal to adhere to the FIFA schedule results in some of your clubs losing up to eight starters for a match.

- Scott

Pigfynn
08-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Punishment for signing good players, ya that's the way to do it.

Made your bed....fuck that!

How about get in line with the rest of the world's soccer leagues.

James17930
08-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks again for the news thread.

icecoldbeer
08-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks denime!

I'm torn between what to do next weekend. Should I stay or should I go! (stay home or go to the game?)

Super
08-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Hey Parkdale, how did you manage to get a copy of Kyle's passport photo?

rocker
08-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Goofy argument. The fact that we sign good players who frequently get called up to their International squads isn't the fault of poor judgment from TFC, it's the fault of poor judgment from MLS.

correct.. and as I just wrote in another thread, the missing point is that DC still has 17 cheap, useful American domestics -- the kind of guys who are never gonna get called up to the national team, but function very well as the glue to the team. There's no way in hell TFC could find 17 similar Canadians who would play for the same price, contribute the same quality, without any of the 17 playing for Canada.

Roogsy
08-30-2008, 11:22 AM
correct.. and as I just wrote in another thread, the missing point is that DC still has 17 cheap, useful American domestics -- the kind of guys who are never gonna get called up to the national team, but function very well as the glue to the team. There's no way in hell TFC could find 17 similar Canadians who would play for the same price, contribute the same quality, without any of the 17 playing for Canada.

Finally someone who gets it.

What a ridiculous arguement. Hey! We shouldn't have signed these really good Canadians! We should have signed some mediocre talent that never get called up to International Games because we don't want the best talent on our team!

Whatever... :rolleyes:

ag futbol
08-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Well I'm not going to argue that we should be signing remedial anything but one thing DCU has always stated they have a preference for is signing guys who don't have a shot of being called to the national teams.

Emilio, Fred, Martinez all have zero chance of ever getting a cap but they are great MLS players.

In terms of problems for an MLS squad this is not new. The rules are rediculous but you have to manage with the cards you are dealt. It makes no sense to go out and sign a marginal defender like Valez who is going to be lost all the time for National Team duty.

Fort York Redcoat
08-30-2008, 12:19 PM
DC have done spendid signing but have had time to build their team and as mentioned we have had little option in the players we choose to sign and even more obstacles when we wish to sign said players. Instead of brushing with broad stroke statements like "look harder Mo" we should be calling him out for not approaching player "x".

Oldtimer
08-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks denime!

I'm torn between what to do next weekend. Should I stay or should I go! (stay home or go to the game?)

ahhh! The Clash classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ag8J2NMYmc

flatpicker
08-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Hey Parkdale, how did you manage to get a copy of Kyle's passport photo?

hahahaaa... were the heck did that picture come from??!!!

and why does my hair look so 1983???

Parkdale
08-30-2008, 01:17 PM
wait.... who said that?

was it me or you?

TFC_Toon
08-30-2008, 01:22 PM

Yep, MLS needs to get this changed, TFC should not have to pay this price for having some quality in the side, other leagues around the world don't. This is a critical time of the season for us and to lose 8 players...joke.