PDA

View Full Version : Winsper pregame warmups

Oldtimer
05-18-2008, 01:48 PM
This last match I left the tailgate early and went in. I got to see the player warmups. Now most people don't pay much attention to these, but as a youth soccer coach I like to see what others are doing, especially the pros.

Now the Crew were doing the usual kind of warmups. "Suicide" runs, stretching, simple passing drills. The surprise was with TFC. Winsper was having TFC doing totally unusual exercises that I had never seen before in my life. Ones where they hop on one foot while rotating their other leg at the waist, and ones where they weave in and out. He also had them doing short runs with sudden change in direction. I could understand what he was doing. He was simulating the types of movements that players do in matches, particularly those that can cause injury if you're not loosened/warmed up, and warming up our players so that those injuries wouldn't occur. The boys seemed to know all of the exercises and it gave some insight into his scientific methods for preventing injury. I have to say that I was impressed.

Winsper's record speaks for itself: our team is almost injury-free.

The Pope
05-18-2008, 01:51 PM
I commented to Exiled Red during the warm up that TFC rarely (if ever) did these types of drills pre-match last year and that the Winsper hiring has been worth it's weight in gold

Pachuco
05-18-2008, 01:53 PM
This last match I left the tailgate early and went in. I got to see the player warmups. Now most people don't pay much attention to these, but as a youth soccer coach I like to see what others are doing, especially the pros.

Now the Crew were doing the usual kind of warmups. "Suicide" runs, stretching, simple passing drills. The surprise was with TFC. Winsper was having TFC doing totally unusual exercises that I had never seen before in my life. Ones where they hop on one foot while rotating their other leg at the waist, and ones where they weave in and out. He also had them doing short runs with sudden change in direction. I could understand what he was doing. He was simulating the types of movements that players do in matches, particularly those that can cause injury if you're not loosened/warmed up, and warming up our players so that those injuries wouldn't occur. The boys seemed to know all of the exercises and it gave some insight into his scientific methods for preventing injury. I have to say that I was impressed.

Winsper's record speaks for itself: our team is almost injury-free.

Yeah we are in 109 and they were warming up right in front of us. I was quite impressed as well with the exercises and the organization going on during the warm ups.

Roogsy
05-18-2008, 01:59 PM
In my opinion...despite some of the signings this year, including Carver...Winsper may just be the signing of the year over everyone else. Between him and Carver...they account for major reasons why Toronto is now a contender.

Detroit_TFC
05-18-2008, 04:11 PM
In my opinion...despite some of the signings this year, including Carver...Winsper may just be the signing of the year over everyone else. Between him and Carver...they account for major reasons why Toronto is now a contender.

QFT +++

Winsper's conditioning program is like an investment. We are starting to see the return on that investment of time and effort in terms of stamina, agility, power, etc.

Some of the Columbus muppets on BS said we look like thugs - what they call thuggery is simply our now better ability to physically withstand close up challenges. We seem to be winning the ball in those situations when last year we typically turn over the ball.

Oldtimer
05-18-2008, 05:36 PM
QFT +++

Winsper's conditioning program is like an investment. We are starting to see the return on that investment of time and effort in terms of stamina, agility, power, etc.

It's great to see TFC spending big in the areas that aren't under the salary cap. I'm certain that someone like Winsper doesn't come anywhere near cheap. Whatever they are paying him, it's like adding some extra players because our first team has so little injury and everyone is playing better.