PDA

View Full Version : Carver says "One or Two" National team players interested in playing for Toronto

Daveisonfire
08-29-2008, 11:53 AM
I picked up this quote from the pre-Chivas match "media scrum"....

"The fans are a huge attraction, this is one of the reasons I came here. And you speak to other players who have been here, Laurent before we let him go, Ollie Tebily, they'd all heard about the fans and how enthusiastic they were. Listen, that game the other night with the national team with the way the fans were, that lift caught one or two of their players eyes and they've gone "Mo, I fancy playing here." So I think eveyone knows it, the fans have a reputation yeah."

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp

Yes, I know there's the casual interest there obviously from guys like DeRo who would like to play in their home town. But you gotta get excited at the fact that the players would actually approach Mo like that and state their desire to play for this club:)

Now..I wonder who it could be:canada:

flatpicker
08-29-2008, 11:55 AM
I would be nice... but a pain in the arse!
More national team players to leave TFC depleted when trying to make the playoffs!

I would rather start getting decent calibre players from countries with great national teams!
That way there would be no chance of them being called up for duty!
Get us English, Brazilian, Argentinian, Spanish, Dutch... whatever... just stop with the lower ranked countries!

werewolf
08-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Atiba and JDG have said they want to play here, never gave a time-frame though.

Nodoubtguy
08-29-2008, 12:03 PM

Atiba I could see, JDG....not so much. Makes no sense for an MLS move when your a player of the year for a La Liga team......

Ossington Mental Youth
08-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Brennan and Sutton!
Just kidding, im sure it was said in a 'i will come near the end of my career' kinda way.
unless we get big money

Daveisonfire
08-29-2008, 12:04 PM
I would be nice... but a pain in the arse!
More national team players to leave TFC depleted when trying to make the playoffs!

I would rather start getting decent calibre players from countries with great national teams!
That way there would be no chance of them being called up for duty!
Get us English, Brazilian, Argentinian, Spanish, Dutch... whatever... just stop with the lower ranked countries!

Yeah, I see what you are saying for sure..and I'd have to agree. But it's more Major League Soccer's fault more than anything. It's pretty sad when it's a disadvantage to a team to go out and grab the best players from their respective countries just because the league doesn't comply with FIFA international dates....

Daveisonfire
08-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Brennan and Sutton!
Just kidding, im sure it was said in a 'i will come near the end of my career' kinda way.
unless we get big money

Yeah I don't doubt that, but its great to hear the interest...field turf and all

werewolf
08-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Atiba I could see, JDG....not so much. Makes no sense for an MLS move when your a player of the year for a La Liga team......

Thats what I mean. They have both said they wanted to come here...eventually. And the OP never gave a time-frame, meaning it could be these two players a few years down the road.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Yeah I don't doubt that, but its great to hear the interest...field turf and all

oh totally, worst part is, ive kinda come to expect that these guys DO come and play without saying as much.

zeelaw
08-29-2008, 12:07 PM

That is why he said they didnt give a time-frame.

rocker
08-29-2008, 12:10 PM
somebody (big bruva?) said that De Guzman wants to come back and play in Toronto even more than DeRo does. He's a big fan of TFC. It's simply a matter of time. My guess is he'll come here at Brennan's age (31). Even at that age, De Guzman will still be great tho, given that he plays at such a high level now. That's 4 years from now... by then MLS will have a higher cap and he will have even more financial incentive to come home.

Smenge
08-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Perhaps he could convince his brother to come back too. That prick may be picked up by an EPL team next week, according to various UK sources....for a huge transfer fee.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Perhaps he could convince his brother to come back too. That prick may be picked up by an EPL team next week, according to various UK sources....for a huge transfer fee.

Im sure he'd rather retire at 'home' in holland

Draracle
08-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Oh man... what a tease. DeRo, enough already. Come home. Be a footy legend. You know you want to.

dantdot
08-29-2008, 01:20 PM
JDG can replace Robinson in a few years, both defensive midfielders.

giambac
08-29-2008, 01:51 PM
I picked up this quote from the pre-Chivas match "media scrum"....

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp

Yes, I know there's the casual interest there obviously from guys like DeRo who would like to play in their home town. But you gotta get excited at the fact that the players would actually approach Mo like that and state their desire to play for this club:)

Now..I wonder who it could be:canada:

But I thought Carver didn't like Canadain players.
For the most part he ha signored them in the past or cut them loose.

Ron Manager
08-29-2008, 03:17 PM

I thought he was already picked up by Arsenal for 12 million.

Markham_RPB
08-29-2008, 03:25 PM
I thought he was already picked up by Arsenal for 12 million.

speculation , rumors, nothing official .

Cambridge_Red
08-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Jdg Please!

Cashcleaner
08-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Right now I've got a permanent image of Hutchinson wearing a TFC top etched in my mind. I'll put my two cents in and say it's Atiba who most wants to come here.

joel
08-29-2008, 03:46 PM
THere's a difference between 'fancy' and 'want'. I'm sure a lot of players would fancy it for $4 million, or in 5 years.

TFC07
08-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Right now I've got a permanent image of Hutchinson wearing a TFC top etched in my mind. I'll put my two cents in and say it's Atiba who most wants to come here.

Agreed. I think JDG is 2nd player who wants to play for us. DeRo doesn't want to play for us because our team is shit. :(

TFC07
08-29-2008, 03:49 PM

That cunt actually said he wants to finish off his career in Toronto.

Captain Croatia
08-29-2008, 04:20 PM
JDG would rip the MLS several new assholes. Atiba would be a wicked pick up too:)

FluSH
08-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Bring HOME DE-RO!

The Son of Scarborough!

MisterMacphisto
08-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Oh man... what a tease. DeRo, enough already. Come home. Be a footy legend. You know you want to.

QFT
:canada::canada::canada::canada:

Kickit09
08-29-2008, 04:35 PM
boy are a lot of people setting themselves up for a big disapointment.......again

Ageroo
08-29-2008, 04:36 PM
I will take any of them........solid players all around.....

H Bomb
08-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Why on earth is there a beat in the background of a media scrum?

Maybe I'd enjoy it more if I was tweaking out on E

kitchener-TFC
08-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Life would be sweet with De Guzman.

LucaGol
08-29-2008, 05:51 PM
JDG can replace Robinson in a few years, both defensive midfielders.

JDG is nothing like Carl Robinson.

Yohan
08-29-2008, 06:05 PM
nobody likes a tease!

and watch the supposed interested player is some fringe MNT player lol

As for Hutchinson... in prime of his career and doing well in Europe. Don't see him making the jump to MLS anytime soon

profit89
08-29-2008, 06:08 PM
DeRo!

LucaGol
08-29-2008, 06:35 PM
It's probably Patrice Bernier and Paul Stalteri.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Stalteri cried about the fieldturf, so i doubt its him

LucaGol
08-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Stalteri cried about the fieldturf, so i doubt its him

Im just being ironic.

We always assume its DeRo, JDG or Atiba...when it could infact be the lesser lights....who knows...maybe even bench players.

SilverSamurai
08-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Im just being ironic.

We always assume its DeRo, JDG or Atiba...when it could infact be the lesser lights....who knows...maybe even bench players.
JDG has said often that he would like to finish playing for TFC but he would obviously like to stay in Spain as long as possible.

H Bomb
08-29-2008, 08:10 PM
^^ Hey I'd love to see Hume/Issey/Bob Friend over here.

RPB_Brantford_08
08-29-2008, 09:24 PM
^^ Hey I'd love to see Hume/Issey/Bob Friend over here.

they would help out, except on ITL call ups..then we would be in a mess.

CretanBull
08-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Kevin McKenna is almost certainly one of them...he's sitting on the bench in Germany's 2nd division.

Keegan
08-30-2008, 02:37 AM
Kevin McKenna is almost certainly one of them...he's sitting on the bench in Germany's 2nd division.

FC Koln is in the Bundesliga and one of the biggest clubs in Germany. And he subbed in today as they smashed Karlsruhe. I can't ever see McKenna coming here.

Atiba Hutchinson and De Guzman guys? The players definitely meant near the end of their careers

Hutchinson has a price tag of 5 million euros. If it weren't for that he would have been playing for Stuttgart, Werder Bremen, Newcastle or West Ham. He has been linked with big clubs like those listed forever yet FCK won't let him go because they are rich enough so they ask for a giant amount.

I can see Hutchinson coming to TFC in 2015 along with Julian.

If we are being realistic and want a player within the next year or two I would seriously consider RICHARD HASTINGS and Patrice Bernier players who we have a chance of signing. Although Bernier just signed for FC Nordjaelland

Ossington Mental Youth
08-30-2008, 03:43 AM
Who said the next year or two?
No date was mentioned.

CretanBull
08-30-2008, 06:29 AM
FC Koln is in the Bundesliga and one of the biggest clubs in Germany. And he subbed in today as they smashed Karlsruhe. I can't ever see McKenna coming here.

I forgot that FC Koln were promoted for this season...they've kind of bounced back and forth between the 1st and second divisions over the past few years.

If subbed in today, those were his first minutes of the season. I think that he's good, but I think we can agree that he's not a Bundesliga calibre defender. I wouldn't be shocked if he came over....

rocker
08-30-2008, 11:18 AM
they would help out, except on ITL call ups..then we would be in a mess.

yes, that's a major problem. As much as we want these great canadians, if we sign too many, we lose the heart of the team to international duty guaranteed every single time.

And what happens when Montreal and Vanny get into the league? They will need more Canadians as well, and they will lose players to int duty.

Keegan
08-30-2008, 12:29 PM
I forgot that FC Koln were promoted for this season...they've kind of bounced back and forth between the 1st and second divisions over the past few years.

If subbed in today, those were his first minutes of the season. I think that he's good, but I think we can agree that he's not a Bundesliga calibre defender. I wouldn't be shocked if he came over....

He is actually a Bundesliga calibre defender. You do know that he was captain of Energie Cottbus before he dropped down a division? He then captained FC Koln last year and will probably start now that Ozat is injured.

Keegan
08-30-2008, 12:31 PM
yes, that's a major problem. As much as we want these great canadians, if we sign too many, we lose the heart of the team to international duty guaranteed every single time.

And what happens when Montreal and Vanny get into the league? They will need more Canadians as well, and they will lose players to int duty.

The MLS needs to respect International dates. The GALAXY should be even more pissed, they are losing essentially over a million dollars on Beckham missing one game to play for England each time he leaves. And the MLS is losing out on a star. How hard is it to adopt these dates? Every other league in the world does it and they play more matches, have more cups etc.

Canadian Blue
08-30-2008, 08:08 PM

They'll both play here in about 10 years or so!!!

SilverSamurai
08-30-2008, 08:15 PM
They'll both play here in about 10 years or so!!!

I think 5yrs.
JDG is 27, in 5 years he'll be 32. While I hope I'd be wrong, but I don't think La Liga has room for old men. (not that 32 is that old really)

Big Bruva
08-30-2008, 10:37 PM

DeRo too

nascarguy
09-05-2008, 10:57 PM
bring home jonathen de guzman

nascarguy
09-05-2008, 11:03 PM
The MLS needs to respect International dates. The GALAXY should be even more pissed, they are losing essentially over a million dollars on Beckham missing one game to play for England each time he leaves. And the MLS is losing out on a star. How hard is it to adopt these dates? Every other league in the world does it and they play more matches, have more cups etc.
beckham is not a star maybe about 5 years ago he was but he only has maybe 3 more years left in him . this years world cup will be his last and that if they make it .

deschamp86
09-05-2008, 11:04 PM

He is home... playing for Feyenoord.

nascarguy
09-05-2008, 11:06 PM
He is home... playing for Feyenoord.
not for long i think he could be move over to the EPL I hope not

Axeman
09-06-2008, 01:13 AM

That fuckin traitor can fucking stay in holland in my opinion!
"I feel Dutch" - Jonathan "Haregraves" de Guzman.:mad: