PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Johnston - Social Experiment

H Bomb
08-29-2008, 09:00 AM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/08/29/johnston_tfc_democracy/

Few will argue that the ideals of democracy and professional sports exist on opposite ends of the spectrum. Rarely does the front office saunter down to the turnstiles on match day to poll the paying public on its overall happiness with the state of the club.

Instead, business decisions are made with relative anonymity in mahogany boardrooms that sit high above the field of play...

Ossington Mental Youth
08-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Cant say i have enough faith in my fellow supporters to make logical and sound decisions. Christ, i get apoplectic when people make a formation and play a player completely out of position. No thanks, its a nice thought but ill leave it in the hands of the professionals. Should the supporters NEED to get involved, do it the barca way. If this was to ever come about, itd be my end of days (oh my poor heart)

ginkster88
08-29-2008, 09:31 AM
I think it's brilliant, and clearly the team is on board as well. If you go to the website and check out "Milestones," nine clubs came forward to be purchased.

Maple Leaf Red
08-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Cant say i have enough faith in my fellow supporters to make logical and sound decisions. Christ, i get apoplectic when people make a formation and play a player completely out of position. No thanks, its a nice thought but ill leave it in the hands of the professionals. Should the supporters NEED to get involved, do it the barca way. If this was to ever come about, itd be my end of days (oh my poor heart)
Actually, there have been some pretty interesting studies on the wisdom of large crowds. Every year the ESPN NCAA bracket has a national bracket which is based on the selections of all of their other brackets. Each year it's outperformed at least 90% of user submitted brackets.

Then again, over 50 million people voted for Bush so maybe large crowds are stupid.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Defo interesting, i guess im just a pessimist, HA

CoachGT
08-29-2008, 09:56 AM
I like the concept, and wonder how it differs from the Barcelona model (a structure that I don't know enough about) or what has been discussed about Seatlle - giving the supporters a say in who the general manager is.

Beach_Red
08-29-2008, 10:02 AM
"Included in that annual fee is a voice and the right to exercise it at any time."

Great, we'd have a new manager and coach every week. It'd be fun...

There's a book called "The Wisdom of Crowds (http://www.randomhouse.com/features/wisdomofcrowds/Q&A.html)."

Ossington Mental Youth
08-29-2008, 10:08 AM
I like the concept, and wonder how it differs from the Barcelona model (a structure that I don't know enough about) or what has been discussed about Seatlle - giving the supporters a say in who the general manager is.

GMs/Coaches would do their jobs, supporters wouldnt get involved, however after a 4 year term the supporters can vote whether or not they keep their jobs.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-29-2008, 10:09 AM
"Included in that annual fee is a voice and the right to exercise it at any time."

Great, we'd have a new manager and coach every week. It'd be fun...

There's a book called "The Wisdom of Crowds (http://www.randomhouse.com/features/wisdomofcrowds/Q&A.html)."

HAHAHA
exactly my prob with it.